• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wherethewhitewomenat (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
popcorn (resized).png
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

After having put hundreds of games on Ghostbusters LE, I have to say, that I am 100% sold on magna slings. When you set that leaf switch to a hair trigger activation, they're lively, unpredictable, and a whole lot of fun. I would say about 80% of the time they feel like a standard kicker, but that 20% of the time when they're a bit "weird," they sure do mix things up. I love how John and Dwight came up with the idea that at certain times they would act differently, and I think there's probably lots more space to explore those sorts of concepts in future titles.

I think of a game like Rob Zombie that has a kicker halfway up the playfield and I would love to see how a magna sling in that area would play. I would love to see one near a pop bumper nest that could do some funky things at times.

I was skeptical, even after I had my GBLE on order, but I have to say, the magna slings are a winner and I hope that they don't end up being a one off feature.

#2 7 years ago

Too bad you'll never see them again because you're officially done with stern as you made a point to announce.

#3 7 years ago

Damn, that was a scathing dis markmon. Somebody call the burn unit STAT

(PS I, too, enjoy the magna slings action)

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Too bad you'll never see them again because you're officially done with stern as you made a point to announce.

I'll play Stern games, I'm just not buying any. Super helpful comment though.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'll play Stern games, I'm just not buying any.

Well that leaves more for everybody else then. Will you be playing them if you have to drop money through the coin door?

#6 7 years ago

I assume if the cost is lower for a mag-sling then we will see more of them.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well that leaves more for everybody else then. Will you be playing them if you have to drop money through the coin door?

Poke fun at the dude all you want, but his post has 104 upvotes and climbing. Seems he struck a nerve.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Poke fun at the dude all you want

No poking fun intended. It was a serious question about where you draw the line in supporting a product.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No poking fun intended. It was a serious question about where you draw the line in supporting a product.

If you're being serious, then I guess it's fair to answer. I thought you were goofing.

I don't know about location play. I mean, technically supporting Stern games on location supports the company, but not supporting an operator's route is bad for pinball too. It's a fuzzy line there. Maybe for now I'll play games from other manufacturers. I put $4 in Dr. Who during lunch. I just know it's slim pickings for operators right now, but if I really want to follow through, I should try hard not to send a penny back to Stern. I'll have to think about where that line actually lies. I just know that for sure it excludes buying games or accessories.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, unless I'm completely misunderstanding how this whole thing works, The Manufacturer doesn't see a dime from coin drop so, I think - and I'm sorry for speaking for you, jar155 - he can play games on location with a clear conscience.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

The Manufacturer doesn't see a dime from coin drop

Wrong. It's those coin drops that keep operators in business and therefore keep them buying new games. Therefore if you are putting money in them you are supporting the company that made the machine. Or did I miscalculate some where?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wrong. It's those coin drops that keep operators in business and therefore keep them buying new games. Therefore if you are putting money in them you are supporting the company that made the machine. Or did I miscalculate some where?

No, I guess you're right. Color me chagrined.

#13 7 years ago

Perhaps you should just stop supporting pinball altogether. Everything that strengthens the hobby indirectly helps Stern in one way or another.

#14 7 years ago

I don't care if Stern makes money. I just don't want to give them my money at this time. I don't want them to fail. I don't want them to suffer. I want them to just change course a bit. I want pinball to succeed, and I want Stern to be a part of that. I am just in mode right now where I don't feel right giving them my own money. I don't plan on picketing their facility or throwing my shoe at Gary next time he speaks.

#15 7 years ago

Stern doesn't respect us enough or have the ethical integrity to make more games with Magna Slings.

#16 7 years ago

The magnet on dialed in above the right sling acted in a similar manner. Not sure what caused it's activation but it was cool to see. Can't wait for this premium to arrive in Lafayette.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern doesn't respect us enough or have the ethical integrity to make more games with Magna Slings.

Maybe instead of following me around you should go and plan your two Stars machine tournament or whatever it is.

#18 7 years ago

On the topic of magna-slings showing up in more games, I'd think that with less moving parts, magna-slings would be less expensive than traditional slings, and easier for operators and owners to maintain without the coil plunger and linkage, so it seems like a no brainer to me that they'd eventually show up in every new game that Stern makes.

I played several games on a GB premium this past week and I walked away impressed by how well the magna-slings worked (at least on the GB I played).

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Maybe instead of following me around you should go and plan your two Stars machine tournament or whatever it is.

Jesus Christ dude, playing the "following me around" card after two threads? Surely I'm not the only person to respond to both of them.

Besides I'm agreeing with you. Stern lacks the ethical integrity to make more games with magna slings. They don't want us to feel joy.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Will you be playing them if you have to drop money through the coin door?

It takes a ton of quarters to make $8,000 to $10,000. I won't be buying but I may hit up a few on location.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

It takes a ton of quarters to make $8,000 to $10,000.

It sure does. But zero quarters dropped indicates you are serious that you are done supporting a product. Zero quarters dropped also makes OPs think twice about the line of work they have chosen in life.

#22 7 years ago

Being a Magnet nut, the Magna slings absolutely Rock!
They do more tricks as the ghost count gets higher and they light, but Ive seen some strange stuff after 100 ghosts.
With a center post, a bounce back caught at the edge of the magnetic pulse will fling up orbits.
In Multiball, they can lock 3 balls so far at a time. I love when they play catch or dead stop and drop.

Dialed in seems to have 3 in the playfield, and the code I was able to play created a subtle but noticeable change in trajectory....definitely keeps you on your toes!

Please add more! Rare earth, rail gun shots, accelerators....always a fun break in a game!

#23 7 years ago

I totally agree with all the previous posts on the magna slings.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Well, I'm officially done buying LED's from www.pinballbulbs.com because of a lot of your forum posts.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Well, I'm officially done buying LED's from http://www.pinballbulbs.com because of a lot of your forum posts.

That seems reasonable and related

If you don't want to buy from me because markmon pointed out this guy is no longer buying sterns because he made a huge post about it I think I'll live lol. Good grief

#26 7 years ago

Nope. Sorry James, it's been a lot of posts in a lot of threads. I get it, you're the adult running the business so you have to chime in, but even you must wince every once in awhile at your partners posts. I'm sure you will live, and good luck.

#27 7 years ago

I want more magna slings in my games, but I sure don't want to pay for them.

#28 7 years ago

I nominate this thread for a 2016 Pinside Emmy in the category of Drama for the following awards:

"fastest getting off track" after one post

Markmon for "lead role in getting a thread off track"

"Most Disconnected Thread" for going from magnaslings to amount of coins operators collect in under 20 posts

Good luck to all nominees!!! I'll be looking for all on the Red Carpet...

#29 7 years ago

I love the magna slings. To me they are a million times more interesting than normal slings. I hope they're on a lot more games as well.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Nope. Sorry James, it's been a lot of posts in a lot of threads. I get it, you're the adult running the business so you have to chime in, but even you must wince every once in awhile at your partners posts. I'm sure you will live, and good luck.

This is a hobby forum, and I'm not here representing any company. I have no plans to tip toe around my hobby so that ultra sensitives buy products that I may design from James' company.

#31 7 years ago

I love the magna slings 99% of the time. A lot of cool, really cool effects and integrate well with the GB code and theme. The dead drop down the centre is bullshit and totally tedious.

#32 7 years ago

Just a question. Would it be difficult to retrofit older games to use magna slings such as LoTr erc?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Just a question. Would it be difficult to retrofit older games to use magna slings such as LoTr erc?

I'm not sure how the magnets for the magna-slings are mounted to the bottom of the GB playfield, but in the past, magnets mounted under playfields were usually (if not always) mounted in a large counterbore recessed into the bottom of the playfield, so that the playfield wood above the magnet is quite a bit thinner than the overall playfield thickness. I'm sure this is because the effects of the magnet are much more pronounced the closer it is to the ball.

I would think adding counterbored recesses to mount the magnets in would be a hairy deal, unless you had the playfield stripped and out of the machine, and then you'd still need the proper machinery, tools, and fixturing set-up to do the job correctly and not ruin the playfield.

On top of just mounting the magnets, you'd be lacking the magnet drivers that would pulse the magnets for the cool effects as seen in GB, unless you could somehow modify the pin's programming. I don't think the normal pulses provided to drive the old mechanical lever sling's coils would do what you really wanted with the new magnets.

#34 7 years ago

Rum-z gave a great answer.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I love the magna slings 99% of the time. A lot of cool, really cool effects and integrate well with the GB code and theme. The dead drop down the centre is bullshit and totally tedious.

Ive only had mine drop to the flippers....havent seen it drop and center drain.

#36 7 years ago

popcorn (resized).pngpopcorn (resized).png

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This.

When the magnets are bouncing the ball around, it puts a little grin on my face to see "what's going to happen now". But every now and then, the magnet will take the ball, make it do a little circle loop above the flipper out of reach, then drop it down the middle. At that point, all I can do is chuckle, take a another sip of beer, and on to the next Free Play plunge and game on.

#38 7 years ago

I wonder if there's something wrong with the premium on location by me. I really like magnets a LOT in games. But the magnet slings might be the deal breaker in the premium. I've played about 20 or so games on a premium. I have to say I lose and average of a ball a game directly from the magnetic slings. The magnet fires...it pushed the ball away...then grabs it again and does a perfect spin 180 SDTM. Is that normal or does this game just need an adjustment of some kind? It seems to happen more from the right side..but it has happened from the left.

#39 7 years ago

Id say you need to consider an adjustment, maybe your right and left pitch.

Time bandits post, to me, more accurately describes this effect. A dead stop, should not drop it down the middle, but if released at the right time, when doing its little circle dance, it can drain. Nothing wrong with that.
Repetitive, or an overabundance, if not the angle, toy around with magnet settings.

Id say 1 ball every 15-20 games gets drained down center or sides due to a magnet throw, is what I experience.

Now if they make another game with Magna slings, how about some programmed magnets above the middle of the playfield, that can catch the ball after a magna sling, and change even further. X men can do this, but the magnets are visual and its more expected.
Dialed in can do it, after the drone magnet gets a hold if it, if they code as such.

As a kid, I would take a thin piece of wood, and I added a magnet on a bead chain controlled by a motor, with different wheels
to create a "look" of random movement. Id add a small figure, or ball bearing, and watch it float all over the flat surface, moving and adjusting wheels, and belt length. Ultimately, it started looking really cool, and much like my love for BSD and the mist ball, I cant help but get excited about the direction this can go!
I love the magna save on world cup, so maybe some more second button, center fire button affect by user on magnets would be another neat addition.

These are my childhood toys that started my madness. The Monster magnet I got when I was 4 or 5, lost it at my Uncles, and found it 20 years later. My kids think its stupid.

Thimble city took it further, and we added magnets to Green Army men, that took over the city.
Of course a ball bearing was used with the magnet wands to destroy the whole city.

Can I go back to being a kid?!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Ya, no need to apologize. Markmon says crazy stuff on here. He's also probably one of the top 3 most helpful guys in the tech threads. I tell him all the time he says crazy stuff on here, but I'm not going to stop him. I'd be attempting to stop him if it were some hateful, racist BS, but that's not him so it won't need to happen. He's simply a helpful tech on here who absolutely loves to troll, a lot lol.

You haven't bought leds from me for nearly 3 years so I'm sure you were done anyways. Always a bummer to lose a customer, but if it's because they want to do so due to some lame opinion on a forum, then meh. That's their choice and people can do whatever they want. I won't stop them.

Believe me, I'm not the adult running this lol. I'm just too busy to post much on here. Gotta get those orders out and new products designed!

Ahem! And on that note, my official platform for 2016 is that I support magna slings in all new games!

#41 7 years ago

Personally I'm not a big fan of the magna slings , I had far more enjoyment playing the pro than the premium which were both side by side to each other.
Everyone has their own opinion I understand that but for me I would not like to see magna slings on further games and to be fair for the theme magna slings better suits ghostbusters.

You could see it on star wars saying that the magna slings represent using telekenisis due to the force but magnets under the playfield like the power on Taf would be better

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

It takes a ton of quarters to make $8,000 to $10,000. I won't be buying but I may hit up a few on location.

Ok, after seeing this, I was genuinely curious so I had to look it up. Looks like $8k to $10k in US quarters actually weighs about 0.2 to 0.25 US tons (varying very slightly for other types of "tons").

Also, I quite liked the magnaslings on GB LE. Much better than the standard ones on the Pro. I'd be happy to see them on some other titles.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have no plans to tip toe around my hobby so that ultra sensitives buy products that I may design from James' company.

Just for the record, I'm not the least bit sensitive. Except right around the tip.

#44 7 years ago

I'd love to see more similar magnet stuff in general. It'd be fun to see something like that where the magnasling functions as a ball lock, grabbing the ball and doing those little loops with it while you try to make another shot to activate the second magnasling to lock ball number two, but the path of the ball interrupts your shot, so you have to time it just right so as not to hit the first locked ball and put yourself into a less valuable two-ball multiball. And then, if you get both balls in the magnaslings, you have the chance to get a fourth ball, but now you have to shoot through two orbiting balls.

#45 7 years ago

Where are all the white women at?

wherethewhitewomenat (resized).jpgwherethewhitewomenat (resized).jpg

#46 7 years ago

I want magna-SAVE in more games.

#47 7 years ago

That'd be cool, a magnet right between the flippers that could catch a STDM ball and fling it back up onto the playfield. It could even be a part of the gameplay, a scoop fires the ball down between the flippers to freak you out and the magnet hurls it back. Or hold it there and give you a choice - X more seconds of gameplay, or an X bonus multiplier?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't care if Stern makes money. I just don't want to give them my money at this time. I don't want them to fail. I don't want them to suffer. I want them to just change course a bit. I want pinball to succeed, and I want Stern to be a part of that. I am just in mode right now where I don't feel right giving them my own money. I don't plan on picketing their facility or throwing my shoe at Gary next time he speaks.

Ohhhh, C'MON throw a shoe for fuck sake!

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

That'd be cool, a magnet right between the flippers that could catch a STDM ball and fling it back up onto the playfield.

Sega Goldeneye does EXACTLY that!

Happens around 4:40

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'll play Stern games, I'm just not buying any. Super helpful comment though.

He likes to rain on others peoples parades

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.95
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 103.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-want-magna-slings-in-more-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.