(Topic ID: 301776)

Best companion to The Hobbit: WoZ, GNR, or Dialed In?

By clearstar

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mtp78
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best companion to The Hobbit: WoZ, GNR, or Dialed In?”

• Dialed In 8 votes
    89%
  • WoZ 1 vote
    11%
  • GnR 0 votes

(9 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 2 years ago

I currently have a Hobbit, and I love it, it will never leave, but I'm torn on my next JJP. I've played them all and the only one I don't care for is Wonka (not enough real theme integration for me and the table gets a bit boring). I'm also not including POTC in this, because you can't purchase one for a reasonable price.

So that leaves me with WOZ, GNR, or Dialed In.

GNR: I owned a GNR SE for a while, awesome immersion, but that playfield was too basic, so if I get GNR one again, I'm definitely getting the LE.
Dialed In: Love the way it shoots, not licensed theme, but perhaps the most contrast to my Hobbit?
WOZ: Shoots well enough for a widebody and awesome theme (for me), but is it too close to my Hobbit experience?

Just curious others thoughts on is WOZ too similar? or different enough? Is Dialed In one of those "You must have at home to truly experience it". GNR...well it's GNR...your buying it for the light show and just a generic fun experience.

#2 2 years ago

I’ve played all 3 - only had the opportunity to own Dialed In and really glad I bought it. Just got it last week. Yes, it has just plain goofy moments, but it is an awesome game with some unique features. It flows well, the sound is great and I just like overall feel.

#3 2 years ago

Out of those DialedIn. It’s a faster flowing standard body.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

I currently have a Hobbit, and I love it, it will never leave, but I'm torn on my next JJP. I've played them all and the only one I don't care for is Wonka (not enough real theme integration for me and the table gets a bit boring). I'm also not including POTC in this, because you can't purchase one for a reasonable price.
GNR: I owned a GNR SE for a while, awesome immersion, but that playfield was too basic, so if I get GNR one again, I'm definitely getting the LE.
Dialed In: Love the way it shoots, not licensed theme, but perhaps the most contrast to my Hobbit?
WOZ: Shoots well enough for a widebody and awesome theme (for me), but is it too close to my Hobbit experience?
Just curious others thoughts on is WOZ too similar? or different enough? Is Dialed In one of those "You must have at home to truly experience it". GNR...well it's GNR...your buying it for the light show and just a generic fun experience.

I would say WOZ based on what you've described. Hobbit and WOZ feel totally different. I owned a WOZ for awhile, it was a lot of fun. I'm surprised you don't like Wonka, such a smooth shooter, I have one coming soon.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks everyone. OK, you have convinced me to put Wonka back on the table. I may enjoy it more in a home setting. I've added it to the poll options. Seeming like it's Wonka vs Dialed In to accompany my Hobbit.

#7 2 years ago

Had Hobbit, loved it, had DI, loved it too, I think they would compliment each other as a pair. Hobbit long ball times epic quest game, DI much shorter faster games but also loads of depth and flow. Havent heard as much praise for WOZ or Wonka tbh.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

I currently have a Hobbit, and I love it, it will never leave,

I currently have a WOZ, and I love it, it will never leave

Own a couple other JJP’s. I love them too. Have played all JJP titles. But WOZ, that’s the one. Too many reasons to list.

#9 2 years ago

WoZ is typically the gem in a collection. Theme integration is unmatched. Not the fastest shooter but the game has very deep code and yet extremely approachable. The game has big moments and that is what I look for in a great game. Music, call outs and animations are all spot on. No it does not play like an Elwin game but in a collection its great to have both.

#10 2 years ago

I own hobbit, woz, and gnr. None will ever leave. If you like hobbit and wide body games with amazing theme immersion, get a woz. The game is amazing. It’s a bit clunky but the toys and play field immersion is second to none. Gnr is my new go to since it’s new, and is definitely a faster playing game, but woz is seriously an experience you need to play and see for yourself once you get further into the game.

Also, woz is deeper, and more difficult than hobbit. So many ways to play the game.

#11 2 years ago

WOZ is incredible. Love that game... and I don't even really like the theme!

#12 2 years ago

I would say DI. GNR blows. I have tried and tried and just can't get into it and I am a huge GNR fan.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

WOZ is incredible. Love that game... and I don't even really like the theme!

I agree with all the WOZ praise here. I, too, thought it was an odd theme for pinball before it came out. But, I was wrong. It was genius.

I only have 2 pins, but WOZ is one of them and it will never leave. There's just something about it... Can't even explain.

That being said, I've not played Hobbit enough to comment on how it would pair up with that game.

My other game is AFMR, in many ways the opposite of WOZ, and I think it's one of the best 2 pin collections I could possibly have.

#14 2 years ago

Do you want something similar to Hobbit or different? Overall, WoZ and PotC feel the most similar to me -- widebodies but also with a lot of necessary sharp angle shots and upper playfields, plus fantasy movie themes. DI and Wonka are also rather similar -- a scoop that starts modes, upper flipper(s) that shoot to ramps or orbits, a lot of motion. Hobbit is really its own thing, it's hard to find comparables. I don't have enough time on my GnR yet to really give a great assessment other than on a simple level it feels like Eric's previous PotC in that there's always a lot going on.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I own hobbit, woz, and gnr. None will ever leave. If you like hobbit and wide body games with amazing theme immersion, get a woz. The game is amazing. It’s a bit clunky but the toys and play field immersion is second to none. Gnr is my new go to since it’s new, and is definitely a faster playing game, but woz is seriously an experience you need to play and see for yourself once you get further into the game.
Also, woz is deeper, and more difficult than hobbit. So many ways to play the game.

This is what I love about Hobbit "So many ways to play the game." Man i'm really thinking hard about WoZ now. To be honest this feels like a DI vs WoZ decision for me.

Quoted from Fizz:

I agree with all the WOZ praise here. I, too, thought it was an odd theme for pinball before it came out. But, I was wrong. It was genius.
I only have 2 pins, but WOZ is one of them and it will never leave. There's just something about it... Can't even explain.
That being said, I've not played Hobbit enough to comment on how it would pair up with that game.
My other game is AFMR, in many ways the opposite of WOZ, and I think it's one of the best 2 pin collections I could possibly have.

Yea, I was wondering about the "IT" factor with WOZ. See the thing for me is JJP pins (except maybe GnR and Dialed In) really need a Home environment to truly experience. I can't get enough time on a WoZ and all the external noise on location...the one I played for a few days also felt off. Needed the legs adjusted and maybe flipper strength.

#16 2 years ago

Appreciate everyone's input. The one thing that really irritates me is Wonka is getting no love. Pretty much what I expected, but it's sad such a great theme seems to be wasted? When compared to how they did other JJPs.

#17 2 years ago

I own both and WOZ buries DI. It’s such a badass game.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Do you want something similar to Hobbit or different? Overall, WoZ and PotC feel the most similar to me -- widebodies but also with a lot of necessary sharp angle shots and upper playfields, plus fantasy movie themes. DI and Wonka are also rather similar -- a scoop that starts modes, upper flipper(s) that shoot to ramps or orbits, a lot of motion. Hobbit is really its own thing, it's hard to find comparables. I don't have enough time on my GnR yet to really give a great assessment other than on a simple level it feels like Eric's previous PotC in that there's always a lot going on.

This is a tough question. My gut tells me I should go with something different as I have limited space (6 pin limit), diversity is key, but also The Hobbit is so amazing theme integration, I certainly wouldn't mind another pin that's "similar" if WoZ is it.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Appreciate everyone's input. The one thing that really irritates me is Wonka is getting no love. Pretty much what I expected, but it's sad such a great theme seems to be wasted? When compared to how they did other JJPs.

Wonka is crazy good!

I played Wonka a friends place a few weeks ago and liked it so much that I’m buying one. Honestly, I don’t get the lack of assets complaint… the game is beautiful and is tremendously fun to shoot.

#20 2 years ago

As a Guy who had at one time owned WOZ, Hobbit and Dialed in. And fortunate enough to play Pirates and Wonka. In my opinion Dialed in is far and above the best playing game From JJP. Not the prettiest that's for sure. I have since parted ways with both the Hobbit and WOZ but Dialed in is hanging around. I'd say it's a good compliment to a wide body like your Hobbit just because it is a standard body game with some really fun shots and modes. I'd consider getting a Wonka but pricing has gotten out of control, seems that way with many machines lately.

#21 2 years ago

I think you have great options. I have the other JJP games except pirates. If you have narrowed it down to Woz and DI. Please consider:

My RR had the new 2.0 light boards installed, so with this my woz has a pretty decent value. DI is much less in price and I love that game. The disaster modes are top notch in my book. I also have Wonka and with the new code I really enjoy the variety in shots random ways to play it.

Woz does have the big moments as previously mentioned. If I can melt the witch I feel I beat the game. I have less than a 10% success ratio in that reguard.

Good luck.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I would say DI. GNR blows. I have tried and tried and just can't get into it and I am a huge GNR fan.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't want to crap on the game, I think it's beautiful and I like the GNR music. But when we played it on location all of us in our family were bored and we spent our time on Avengers, Mando and R&M. Maybe I have to give it more of a chance?

#23 2 years ago

I've owned every JJP game except Wonka but I've played it and it seemed fun.

DI is a smooth shooter, and was really fun at first, but started to feel monotonous by the time I sold it.
The voice callouts were awful though. Super amateur sounding.

I personally rate them as follows:

1.POTC
2.GnRLE
3.Woz
4.DI
5.colonoscopy
6.TH

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Hobbit is the ultimate quest story game. GNR is the ultimate Adrenalin risk/reward (not so much quest based). Hobbit does not flow well, GNR does. Hobbit is widebody, GNR is standard. So in that aspect, these 2 would compliment each other very well as they are so different.

If you can afford the price of admission and want another long playing game like hobbit, then JJPOTC.

If you want something similar to Hobbit, but shorter ball times with still an epic adventure. then I’d say WOZ.

No comment on Dialed In or Wonka as I have very little exposure to those.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

5.colonoscopy

Wow, I never even heard of that game. I guess they must have slipped it in while I was out cold.

Is it smooth? How's the flow?

#26 2 years ago

Never understood the fascination of JJ Pirates. There was never a clear direction the game went into. Multi ball after Multi ball. You get all of the characters but none of the movie assets. Such a huge miss. Layout and shots were fine. Moving pirate ship was cool. 3 spinning discs were Oh wait! lol. This is the funniest thing to see people pay north of 30k on this game. They will never admit it but its not that good. Sorry just keeping it real.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

They will never admit it but its not that good.

I’ll admit it, POTC is AMAZING!!! it’s for home use though, ownership (like most of JJP games). Got to have lots of time on it. Lucky I scored one before the craziness.

Howeverrrrrrr, WoZ is better!

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

Never understood the fascination of JJ Pirates. There was never a clear direction the game went into. Multi ball after Multi ball. You get all of the characters but none of the movie assets. Such a huge miss. Layout and shots were fine. Moving pirate ship was cool. 3 spinning discs were Oh wait! lol. This is the funniest thing to see people pay north of 30k on this game. They will never admit it but its not that good. Sorry just keeping it real.

No game is good enough to pay $30k.

I can admit it.

But Pirates is still a really good game and there is strategy. Doesn't sound like you are too familiar. Mentioning the missing three spinning discs is really weak. Doesn't hurt the game play at all.

But I would never pay the asking price for MM Royal either. Much less gameplay for the money. Never understood the fascination with that one. But happy others like it.

#29 2 years ago

I have owned all JJP’s except Pirates and Wonka. I would say get a Wonka LE. If you want another widebody get WOZ.

#30 2 years ago

To each their own. I bought a JJPOTC CE had it in the house for a month and could not get into it. Sold it then time went by had an opportunity to buy another because I thought I missed something. Had it in the house for another 2 months and decided to let it go again. Just could not get into it. Beautiful game but just not for me.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

To each their own. I bought a JJPOTC CE had it in the house for a month and could not get into it. Sold it then time went by had an opportunity to buy another because I thought I missed something. Had it in the house for another 2 months a decided to let it go again. Just could not get into it. Pretty but just not for me.

If you're interested in gameplay, a CE of any JJP game is never worth the price.

They don't play better, they just cost more for those focused on value speculation.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

If you're interested in gameplay, a CE of any JJP game is never worth the price.
They don't play better, they just cost more for those focused on value speculation.

I agree with you but that green cabinet and playfield with the barnacles was pretty cool.

#33 2 years ago

The topper sounded pretty perverted to be honest. There was a lot of squeaking going on up there. Not sure what was happening in that pirate ship. lol

#34 2 years ago

I own both The Hobbit and WOZ. They are very, very different games. WOZ makes The Hobbit’s playfield look empty. But it’s also not as fast or flowey, and I personally feel a lot tougher.

And yet, ironically, it’s one of the most approachable games for people that have never played pinball. I’ve had older family members who you would NEVER think would want to play pinball just get glued to the thing and play it for hours.

Of course my WOZ was one of the first batch off the line, so it’s a bit of a service nightmare to keep running, but I still love it and it will not leave my collection willingly!

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from playtwowin:Never understood the fascination of JJ Pirates. There was never a clear direction the game went into. Multi ball after Multi ball. You get all of the characters but none of the movie assets. Such a huge miss. Layout and shots were fine. Moving pirate ship was cool. 3 spinning discs were Oh wait! lol. This is the funniest thing to see people pay north of 30k on this game. They will never admit it but its not that good. Sorry just keeping it real.

I agree that going prices for POTC are absurd. So goes the pinball hobby currently.

Otherwise, as far as your assessment of the game itself ... LOL. Huge miss?! To each their own.

#36 2 years ago

I have been lucky enough to own all jjp pins... all of them are amazing in one way or another and the best pins for the home in my opinion. I wish I cld of kept them all bc they all are so different but I can't. I currently have dile , wonkale and g@rle and recently sold potcle to make room for the g@r. My least favorite are woz and hobbit bc the gameplay just isn't my favorite type but the theme integration is awesome with neat toys especially on woz. Di and Wonka play amazing with tons of shots and flow. Potc was somewhere in the middle with some flow and stop and go with neat toys. So far g@r has exceeded my expectations and is a awesomely amazing pinball experience. ..its also fast and flows great . You can't really go wrong with such greatly unique pins at home. For the people that judge a jjp pin with only a few pays in the wild and walk away very disappointed.... I highly recommend you get some one on one time on a properly set up one in a home setting...I think many /most will change their tune. I have never loved a pin after playing it on route/show and glad I give all pins a fair chance once I get some home time on them. All pins are fun to some extent .

2 weeks later
#37 2 years ago

Thank you all for the input. Just figured I'd report back in. I ended up picking up two JJPs lol... Wonka & Woz ECLE. Wonderful pins so far!

If I'm being completely honest though, I'm still a little 50/50 on Wonka vs DI. Maybe Wonka is a 6 month play - then a swap to DI. Time will tell.

WoZ is special, I see what everyone is talking about. Leading my line up along with The Hobbit. These widebodies are special.

#38 2 years ago

Wonka all the way, it’s an incredible pin

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Thank you all for the input. Just figured I'd report back in. I ended up picking up two JJPs lol... Wonka & Woz ECLE. Wonderful pins so far!
If I'm being completely honest though, I'm still a little 50/50 on Wonka vs DI. Maybe Wonka is a 6 month play - then a swap to DI. Time will tell.
WoZ is special, I see what everyone is talking about. Leading my line up along with The Hobbit. These widebodies are special.

Congratulations! Great pins

WoZ is amazing, and it is definitely a LONG term keeper.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

I’ve had WOZ 7 years… still feel like I’m discovering the game

#41 2 years ago

Decide really clearly what you like about Hobbit before you buy your next game -

That game has an almost perfect integration of story, progress, SOUND! and flow. It’s one of the most fun games I’ve ever owned, and I definitely miss it. Owned it twice, may even get it again

WOZ has a similar integration of the progress and it’s a beautiful game, but it doesn’t flow and can feel clunky at times. There’s not really an adherence to the story as much, although that’s there better than say POTC

DI is like a perfect mix of flow, strategy and some HARD shots! It’s tough, it’s fun, and even if you have a crap game it’s still a fun one. Very little in terms of story progression (when compared to Hobbit), and I never really got into the music and kind of low key sound on that game. Definitely also miss it, the flow is outstanding and all the features on the game are just too cool.

POTC is a playing masterpiece - so much to do, variation, lots of ideas. Almost no story to speak of, almost no use of imagery from the movie, no “progress” as it were - just modes, modes, modes. Still super fun. Impossibly (and I mean that literally: it is impossible to finish the wizard
Modes in the default time limits) difficult in later stages

Wonka seems somewhat similar in shots as DI, cool integration, rules are a bit easier, less “deep” than some of the other games

I haven’t played GnR but my point is they are All good, but offer different things so be sure you understand what it is you like about TH first, then decide if you want more of that, or if you want a change of pace

#42 2 years ago

I have a Potc,Di,WW and Gnr all le. Woz 75th is no longer in my collection. Great looking game just got tired of gameplay.

Di is my favorite.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts
Hardware
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairmount, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-want-another-jjp-woz-gnr-or-dialed-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.