(Topic ID: 44492)

I want a second machine! No idea of which pin to search for.

By Geocab

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

So, I've only had my first pin for a couple of weeks and I already want to buy another one. I only have room for one more and I'd like to have at least two so I can have a somewhat of a choice of what to play and don't tire of the games too quickly.

Unfortunately, I've gotten into the pinball game very late and don't have a lot of experience playing many tables at all. Really, most of my exposure is from The Pinball Arcade video game. I've since started looking around at local places to play some real machines, but there aren't a lot of choices by me. Although I did find a place with 8 machines all in really good shape which is nice.

I can't afford the highly priced top tier tables so those are out of the question. So no BOP, TOM, MM, or AFM for me. I'm jealous of a lot of you! HAHA

I was hoping to stick close to the $1500 range, but maybe could go to $2k if the machine was worth it.

Right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of my F-14 Tomcat. It's a lot of fun and I'm slowly scoring more. I love the light show, trying to keep the ball in the upper playfield to Light the TOM CAT targets faster, and the General Yargov kickback. Of course multiball is fun too. I like the theme too.

I know video games don't compare to real world physics and feel of the pinball machine, but I'm really liking the Pinball Arcade version of Firepower. I missed an opportunity to play one at the Ohio Show because for some reason I didn't see it there.

I played a High Speed recently, but since I keep hearing that The Getaway is the better of the two, I'd sure like to see it. HS wasn't a bad game though.

I've seen a few threads here talking about Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, and Johnny Mneumonic, but I don't know if those would fall into my price range or if I'd like them. I may be in the minority, but I really liked the DM movie so maybe having that table would be a good fit.

Another table I've played recently was Doctor Who. I've always been a big fan of the show, growing up watching it on the local PBS channel and liked the raising playfield and taking out the Daleks.

What other tables should I be considering? Are the machines I've mentioned good choices to seek out? Are there certain tables out there that have a broader appeal so that my wife and stepdaughter might enjoy them? I don't think my wife cares about the F-14 theme. Funhouse would probably qualify for that, but those are obviously selling for more than I'm willing to spend. A buddy of mine has one and it's pretty cool in real life.

I want to make a good choice since i won't be getting another machine after this for a long time, if ever. As i said before, not a lot of room. I don't know about the whole trading or selling and buying something else thing, I'm a hoarder! Plus, with prices on the rise, this may be my only opportunity to get something nice now.

I don't know where to look for tables other than Craigslist or local pinball shops. The prices of a pinball shop though are a lot higher and take a lot of tables out of my range unfortunately.

Damn this bug.

#2 11 years ago

Maybe try for a T2

#3 11 years ago

All mentioned are good candidates. I would lean towards Funhouse then Doctor Who. FH is not in stated price range though.

Best of luck in your search.

#4 11 years ago

I think Doctor Who and Judge Dredd are good picks.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I think Doctor Who and Judge Dredd are good picks.

I agree. I think Whirlwind would be a good choice as well.

#6 11 years ago

you'll have to play a few, then make a decision.

#7 11 years ago

Cyclone, Pin*Bot, or Taxi would compliment F-14 rather well.
    Heck, any pre-90's game would fit the bill since you've obviously caught "The Fever"!

#8 11 years ago

Go for the classic...Black Knight, earlier Richie game.

#9 11 years ago

Demolition man is a great game and pretty normally in the $1500 range. If you like the theme that makes it a real deal.

#11 11 years ago

Check out the bang/buck list here on pinside. That may give you a good idea of what pins are in your price range. At 2k you have a pretty decent size list to choose from.

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

Check out the bang/buck list here on pinside. That may give you a good idea of what pins are in your price range. At 2k you have a pretty decent size list to choose from.

i tried posting this comment on the bang for buck site,
    but it would not post so putting comment here, sorry.

I think you need to split the eras again,
    as currently the pre-1991 era includes no Early Solid state pins, totally dominated by EM pins. I love EM pins but
    i think the pre 1991 needs to be divided into 2 groups
    one for EM era pre 1978 and another for 1977-1990 SS era pins.
    Regarding avg pricing to use, might have problem there with the older machines, since they do not show up on ebay as much as DMDs.
    very tough algorithm to keep from getting too complicated or stay relevant.

#13 11 years ago

Here's a vote for Getaway. I actually had an F14 and a Getaway at one point, awesome combo. The flow in Getaway is great and the game has some depth to it with having to "shift" throughout all the gears. I wish I never had sold mine.

#14 11 years ago

There are no shortcuts here. Have a look at pinsiders profiles and you will see a bunch of currently owned and an equally long list of previously owned for most. Each list as unique as its owner!

Unless you really overpay badly, this hobby has the advantage of basically being a neutral financial investment - win some, lose some on selling - most of us would like to think we at least break even.

So if you have the initial funds to 'park' in some machines, have a good time owning a few different titles and eventually you will end up with a stable of keepers.

#15 11 years ago

No question-World Cup Soccer-very deep game-affordable-great starter pin

#16 11 years ago

I am in your situation and first got a LOTR. (i have owned others years ago). played it at an arcade for a couple of months and loved it. wanted another right away and got a WPT without ever playing it. point is, as some have suggested, if you aren't in love with your next one, selling it at about the same price or trading it, should be pretty simple. So I got WPT because I like deep rule sets and I like the theme (and yes, i like drop targets! lol). If I dont care for it i would think i could sell it at close to what i bought it (1900). if i get 1600 and play it for 3 months its a wash in my book. (of course i wouldnt want to make a habit of dropping 300 plus shipping every time!)

what I would use as a guide is the alternate list here and not the top 100 list. too many on that list play a game a couple of times and then opine. the other lists seem to be more accurate as far as pro and cons. and as far as those lists, many things effect the rating, including cabinet shape etc. if thats not important to you and playability is, check that out as well. and remember, a pin listed # 45 can be your dream pin. the difference between #5 and #45 can be very insignificant.

#17 11 years ago

Don't be afraid to simply take the plunge and just pick something. Half the fun is experiencing games yourself and forming your own opinions. There are a ton of great games out there that do not fit that standard cookie cutter "A-list" mold that most live and breathe by. Good luck in your search.

#18 11 years ago

+1 to WPT, Judge Dredd and WCS. Stargate is worth considering as well.

#19 11 years ago

WCS94 or HS2. Both of these titles are in the low $2K range and are a lot of fun.

#20 11 years ago

I feel silly asking this, but is there a section here explaining the abbreviations? I figured most of them out already, but not all of them.

#21 11 years ago

Buy something in your price range, within driving distance, so you can try the machine out for enjoyability and quality before you purchase.

#23 11 years ago

Thanks, Gorilla. I wasn't figuring out World Poker Tour.

There are a lot of tables for me to consider, but the problem is finding them near me. Minuscule selection on local CL.

I was browsing reviews of the bang for the buck tables, and a lot of them sound like good picks. This is crazy.

#24 11 years ago

ripley's beleive it or not , fun for around the 2.5k price

#25 11 years ago

I vote for DM or JD, also think Judge Dredd would be a nice contrast to F-14. RBION, I love that machine, but it's definitely over $2k.

I really agree with the comment above about just taking the plunge and picking something. Each table will bring new experiences and new insights about what your personal tastes are.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

It's a good place to start looking but I found the prices (especially at the low end) to be a bit off.

WCS for $900?
    RFM for $1900?

Those both seem to be VERY optimistic prices to find decent models - at least based on what I've seen lately...

#27 11 years ago

I noticed BOP on your want list...that's also a great choice if you can find one. For a DMD, WCS94 is a fine choice, good bang for buck. Both WPC machines

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

There are a lot of tables for me to consider, but the problem is finding them near me. Minuscule selection on local CL.

Lots of pinsiders in your area. Watch the forum for "pinball party" announcements in Ohio, go to them, make friends, keep in touch with these folks, & watch the buying opportunities fall in your lap. Buying from fellow pinball enthusiasts is the best way to go in my opinion.
    You could also start a thread like "Want to meet fellow pinsiders in Ohio" and see if you get invitations to play nearby collections. Lots of friendly folks on pinside.
    Also, be patient. You might regret an impulse purchase in more ways than one.

Check the pinmap. There are more places to play pinball in your area than you might realize.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

It's a good place to start looking but I found the prices (especially at the low end) to be a bit off.
    WCS for $900?
    RFM for $1900?
    Those both seem to be VERY optimistic prices to find decent models - at least based on what I've seen lately...

Yeah. I should have added that pinside estimated values aren't a good source for very accurate pricing. They are behind the curve. My intention was more along the lines of what games cost less but are a lot of fun. It gives you somewhere to start.

It was late. My bad.

#30 11 years ago

I think you have a pretty good list made out already.

I would also suggest something like WCS or Stargate if you want a game that plays very differently than F-14 Tomcat.

#32 11 years ago

Whirlwind or BK2K.Being as you just aquired one from that era.May be easier to troubleshoot similar systems/problems.Oh you do realize these things break don't you

#33 11 years ago

Hey, wait a minute, they don't break in the video game versions!

Anyway, I'm most likely picking up a DM on Monday. Really good shape body-wise and clean playfield. I don't think the sound ROMs are up to date though. No sound happened during the match sequence. Also had the wrong Hot Wheel in it, wasn't the red olds.

The sound that did happen was nice and clear. That DCS system really is nice. Inside the cabinet was super clean. It looked like all lights were lit. I enjoyed the little i played, about an hour.

Same seller i bought my F-14 from so i trust him. Looking forward to Monday!

#34 11 years ago

It's official, I bought the DM. I really appreciate the advice guys! Plus there are some good tips above for in the future and I'm on a new hunt.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-got-a-fever-and-the-only-prescription-is-more-pinball-second-pin

#35 11 years ago

Congrats, great title!

#36 11 years ago

Why do you have BoP listed with the out of reach games like MM and AFM?

#37 11 years ago

Didn't mean to make it sound like it was very high priced like a MM and AFM, just out of MY reach. That's all I meant.

#38 11 years ago

Johnny M, Whirlwind, Batman Forever !!

#39 11 years ago

i have seen alot under 2k I just bought 2 game for 1k Craiglist deal too

#40 11 years ago

try and look for a T2

#41 11 years ago

there is a place out here in Indiana that sells some very nice tables. place it called Pincades

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-want-a-second-machine-no-idea-of-which-pin-to-search-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.