(Topic ID: 236682)

I've just bought the Pinbot pinball machine...

By lecter

63 days ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by Klod
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

63C717A9-6D2E-483F-9858-B4740C7DB958 (resized).jpeg
33D80799-DE09-44EB-8821-03A38928A84A (resized).jpeg
DB822175-E05D-4D5F-B634-6BE66B429319 (resized).jpeg
tuleja (resized).jpg
374B2C80-BE82-4F2C-B032-E557DFAB034E (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190222_195707[4626] (resized).jpg
IMG_20190222_195424[4628] (resized).jpg
IMG_20190222_195414[4627] (resized).jpg
IMGA0087 (resized).JPG
461D3E46-71D5-4766-A050-61467B0E4B12 (resized).jpeg
52734B5D-87BF-4619-812C-D3BEBA0988F8 (resized).jpeg
B9FF6AC1-AEDF-4B09-A8EF-97C9A064CD2F (resized).jpeg
74FF76EB-F388-4285-9790-63C82D0C146D (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190220_214351[4622] (resized).jpg
IMG_20190220_214357[4617] (resized).jpg
IMG_20190219_204921[4616] (resized).jpg

#1 63 days ago

Hi Guys!
2 days ago I bought the Pinbot pinball machine and I hope it won’t turn out the worst decision in my life
During watching and testing the machine I was so excited and nervous that I didn’t notice obvious defects of the machine. I noticed them at home
I took a few photos of those defects and you can see them below. Can you judge if there’s a hope to repair all of them (I’m an absolutely pinball beginner)? Would it be difficult?
There are:
* Problem reffered to Visor - ball stucks
* Missing or bad screws (legs)
* The lack of the hook (head)
* Rust on some metals
* Wears of the playfield
* I noticed one broken plastic

IMG_20190218_190647[4619] (resized).jpgIMG_20190219_204921[4616] (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_203126 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_203208 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_203238 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_203303 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_204909 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_204948 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_205017 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_205104 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_205658 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_205714 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_214351[4622] (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_214357[4617] (resized).jpg
#2 63 days ago

"Ball stucks inside the visor" is just an adjustment under the PF. Leg screws are very cheap to buy. You have the topper, it's a hard one to find. You'll enjoy Pin*Bot!

#3 63 days ago

Yeah that machine looks perfectly workable to me. Your clear vortex plastic is cracked, I would remove that and epoxy it back together and see if that works. If not then you can watch the owners thread, some guys cut new plastics for that ramp from time to time and you can grab one. There is at least one post missing from near your visor which will need to be replaced.

The leg bolts are cheap to replace, a new set of chrome legs is around $70 from Marco I think. You could also just remove the ones you have and repaint the black, easy fix.

As mentioned above you have the topper which is great.

My advice is to look at all the different playfield pictures on the Pinbot owners thread and try to determine exactly what pieces need to be replaced or fixed so you only make one order and don’t pay a bunch for shipping like I did!

My Pinbot was in worse shape than yours looks and it came out great! Here’s some before and after shots to inspire you. Pinside is a great resources and everyone is here to help you!

B9FF6AC1-AEDF-4B09-A8EF-97C9A064CD2F (resized).jpeg74FF76EB-F388-4285-9790-63C82D0C146D (resized).jpeg461D3E46-71D5-4766-A050-61467B0E4B12 (resized).jpeg52734B5D-87BF-4619-812C-D3BEBA0988F8 (resized).jpeg
#4 63 days ago

You may be able to fix the ramp (If necessary) with some Scigrip 3. It may end up looking a little messy, but should be strong. Take this with a grain of salt though, I just used this stuff for the first time a few days ago, and while the stuff I fixed feels solid, I haven't actually seen how it stands the test of time.

The latch for the head isn't necessary, you can get some bolts that screw through the bottom of the back box into the cabinet to hold it down. You're not actually supposed to use the latch to hold the head up except when transporting the game. That said, Marco Specialties has latches in stock if you want a new one: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9347

The playfield wear would probably be the hardest thing to fix, but I honestly wouldn't worry about that too much unless you *really* want a pristine game. Just enjoy playing it!

#5 63 days ago

This is all pretty standard stuff on a 33-year old pinball machine so don't sweat it or decide you need to go all intifada on the seller. Just address the issues one by one and you'll be ok.

The cabinet wear and the playfield wear is simply the cost of doing business and it shouldn't bother you. If you don't want any of that you need to buy only brand new games.

#6 63 days ago

Welcome to the club, I would agree with all the advice above. I will add to it - 1st, get 2 new balls, all new leg bolts and if necessary the plates that those bolts go through (their cheap). Since your backbox catch is missing it's important to make sure you have 2 bolts securing the backbox to the cabinet - these go inside and bolt vertically to the cabinet.

#7 63 days ago

Agreed, always have the backbox bolts installed! Don’t trust the latch.

Also just FYI, Pinbot only takes two balls. I made the mistake of loading three and couldn’t figure out why it was ejecting the extra ball at the start, lol.

#8 63 days ago

For whatever it is worth, a tip I got from a good tech was as long as you have one bolt attached, the head won't go anywhere. I always like two, but I believe him when he says one will keep it upright.

#9 63 days ago
Quoted from lecter:

Hi Guys!
2 days ago I bought the Pinbot pinball machine and I hope it won’t turn out the worst decision in my life

Buying a Pinbot will NEVER be the worst decision in your life. Fix it and enjoy it!

#10 63 days ago
Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

Agreed, always have the backbox bolts installed! Don’t trust the latch.
Also just FYI, Pinbot only takes two balls. I made the mistake of loading three and couldn’t figure out why it was ejecting the extra ball at the start, lol.

Good catch, yep 2 balls in Pinbot. I've edited my original post.

#11 63 days ago

Are the leg bolt brackets inside the cabinet stripped or broken? If so replace them with the Heavy Duty brackets this is what they look like. Your legs will be rock solid then. Replace the leg bolts too.

IMGA0087 (resized).JPG
#12 62 days ago

Welcome to the club. Looks like your Pinbot has given a lot of fun to a lot of players in the past 30+ years, and yet he still has even more fun left in him to give to you. I have had mine for 28 years, and once I had him working 100%, he has been rock solid ever since. But my machine saw a lot of wear in his initial short, but very prosperous career, he made a lot of $$$ for several ops before I retired him to my home. He had a lot of miles on the cabinet... been up and down a good amount of stairwells, by the looks of the dings and scrapes. You got a decent machine to work with, and parts are more available due to the number of machines that have been parted out over the years. When buying replacement parts, big piece of advice. Don’t buy two of everything and put one new one in and keep one new one as a spare. You will most likely never need the spare parts unless it is a consumable like flipper or mech parts that will need replaced now and again. But I bought a spare everything I could find and put it in storage, and I have never needed them, plastics, ramps, targets, target carrier, translite, displays, all of it... once I had it fixed, the spares were an insurance policy on future damage that has just not happened in 28 years in my home. If you need a part and you can’t seem to find it anywhere, just ask on here. One of us will more than likely have 2 and be willing to part with one.

#13 61 days ago

Dear MustangPaul, where did you get the metal bracket that I can see on the photo? I really like it! Am I able to buy it somewhere online? I think it can be less difficult to get any parts in US than in Europe

Guys, next thing I'd like to do is: fix the visor (the ball often stucks there). If I want to get your help, should I create a new thread or I can write below?

#14 61 days ago

The visor is sitting too high and the ball is getting stuck behind it. Under the playfield there should be two set screws that determine how high that bank sits on the bracket. Unscrew those screws and the bank should drop lower.

#15 61 days ago

I checked the both of screws and they are fine. They aren't the reason of my problems...

#16 61 days ago

clean it up and fix the small problems and have fun. It will last longer than a new one.

#19 61 days ago
Quoted from lecter:

I checked the both of screws and they are fine. They aren't the reason of my problems...

No they are not. There are screws that adjust the height of the visor. There is no way they can be fine if the visor is sitting too high. Lower the visor and lift the playfield and adjust the screws. You will be able to see it moving up and down. I thought there was only one but there may be too. If memory serves it is on the bottom of the assembly.

#20 61 days ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

No they are not. There are screws that adjust the height of the visor. There is no way they can be fine if the visor is sitting too high. Lower the visor and lift the playfield and adjust the screws. You will be able to see it moving up and down. I thought there was only one but there may be too. If memory serves it is on the bottom of the assembly

I'm able to press softly visor by my finger and then it's compatibile with the PF.
In my opinion it means that 2 screws are fine. If you think it's a good idea to remove those screws and watch what will happen, I can do it.
Below I put the photo of screws I'm writing about. I also put 2 more photos.

IMG_20190222_195414[4627] (resized).jpgIMG_20190222_195424[4628] (resized).jpgIMG_20190222_195707[4626] (resized).jpg
#21 61 days ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

No they are not. There are screws that adjust the height of the visor. There is no way they can be fine if the visor is sitting too high. Lower the visor and lift the playfield and adjust the screws. You will be able to see it moving up and down. I thought there was only one but there may be too. If memory serves it is on the bottom of the assembly.

I had this exact problem on a pinbot. The screws are aligned correctly but it won't fall/settle that last little bit. As described in his response that seems to be the issue - he can push it down with his finger and it settles where it should.

I honestly don't remember how or if I fixed it, this might have been 15 years ago. I'd start by cleaning everything, to make sure no schmutz/dirt is making the visor stick above the playfield. Anywhere there's plastic on plastic/metal contact, make sure it's nice and clean.

beyond that make sure everything is aligned correctly. May have to take the mech apart.

#22 61 days ago

It looks like your missing the small bushing that goes on the shaft of the motor.

#23 61 days ago

+1 on the missing bushing... more than likely the problem. Needs to be a metal bushing, plastic on plastic rubbing will destroy the target carrier track faster if you use nylon, although initially it can make it work, it gets worse as plastic dust builds up and helps accelerate the wear. The correct metal bushing lets the mech work for years without a hitch. I know, since mine has worked flawlessly for 28. I cleaned and lightly lubricated the bushing when I shop it, realigned the target carrier brackets and visor actuator and made sure it all ran without any rubbing or binding. Leveled the target carrier using the adjustment screws, tweeked the carrier up and down switches to stop the Visor in full open and fully closed positions. Once you have this working 100%, you will never need to mess with it again.

#24 61 days ago

Can you guys be a little more specific where this bushing goes? Mark up a photo maybe?

#25 61 days ago

The bushing goes on this pin that rides inside the oval of the target carrier....

374B2C80-BE82-4F2C-B032-E557DFAB034E (resized).jpeg
#26 61 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can you guys be a little more specific where this bushing goes? Mark up a photo maybe?

How’s this crazylevi?

#28 61 days ago

Is that bushing supposed to be able to spin/turn on its arm, or is it stationary?

#29 61 days ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Is that bushing supposed to be able to spin/turn on its arm, or is it stationary?

Yes, it is free to spin/turn.

#30 61 days ago
Quoted from lecter:

I'm able to press softly visor by my finger and then it's compatibile with the PF.
In my opinion it means that 2 screws are fine. If you think it's a good idea to remove those screws and watch what will happen, I can do it.

Oh yes sorry for misunderstanding. So I suggest watch what happens when you push down on the assembly. I assume something is warn on it that is causing it to get stuck.
Start by cleaning the entire assembly really well.

#31 60 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The bushing goes on this pin that rides inside the oval of the target carrier....
[quoted image]

Thanks mate! Have I pointed the missing part correctly below?
I understand that I need to get a metal brushing from somewhere. I guess it is difficult to buy the genuine part, prabably I need to find something similar in stadard metal shop. Am I right?
Can I find the dimensions of this bushing anywhere?

tuleja (resized).jpg

#33 59 days ago

That is the bushing. There is a crude dimensional diagram on their sight showing the bushing over top a 1/4 inch grid.

#34 59 days ago

Thanks Bublehead!

I checked on marcos and the item cost isn't high but shipping to Poland (the country in Europe) costs over 40bucks
I need to find a similar bushing in my country.

#35 59 days ago

These look like standard bushings in English measurements of 3/8” outer diameter, 1/4” inner diameter, 1/2 inch long. Convert to metric and see what you can find... send me your address in Warsaw, I’ll send you one in an envelope, they are small and cheap.

#36 59 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

These look like standard bushings in English measurements of 3/8” outer diameter, 1/4” inner diameter, 1/2 inch long. Convert to metric and see what you can find... send me your address in Warsaw, I’ll send you one in an envelope, they are small and cheap.

Thank you very much Buddy! First I'll try to find something in my Country. If I find nothing, I'll ask you for help

#37 53 days ago

Hi Guys!
I want to buy a few spare parts in the german online shop but the shipping to Poland is quite expensive. That's why I would like you to judge if I chosed the proper parts for my PINBOT - as a begginer I want to avoid any mistakes. I'll be really glad If you help me.

details:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-buying-parts-on-the-pinballcenter#post-4864270

#38 53 days ago

Pinballcenter shipping cost to Poland (or The Netherlands) is in line with other German shops like Pinball Universe. EUR 13,50 for a small order, which isn't too bad. I ordered from both these shops in the past year.

Just get some more parts that you will probably need in the near future anyway, to justify the shipping costs. Here are some ideas:

* Flipper rebuild kits
* Flipper cabinet switches
* Parts for rebuilding the pop bumpers
* Leg levelers 3"
* Plunger barrel spring

Don't know what you are willing to spend, but you can always stock up for your next pins

#39 52 days ago
Quoted from vandergugten:

Pinballcenter shipping cost to Poland (or The Netherlands) is in line with other German shops like Pinball Universe. EUR 13,50 for a small order, which isn't too bad. I ordered from both these shops in the past year.
Just get some more parts that you will probably need in the near future anyway, to justify the shipping costs. Here are some ideas:
* Flipper rebuild kits
* Flipper cabinet switches
* Parts for rebuilding the pop bumpers
* Leg levelers 3"
* Plunger barrel spring
Don't know what you are willing to spend, but you can always stock up for your next pins

Thanks,
I've found a few more spare parts. Can you check if I get the proper ones?
details:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-buying-parts-on-the-pinballcenter#post-4864573

Many thanks again!!!

1 week later
#40 45 days ago
Quoted from chipleader:

It looks like your missing the small bushing that goes on the shaft of the motor.

So I just got a pinbot as well. Something I’ve wanted for a long time. The visor is doing something similar. It doesn’t always go all the way down. It’s not making it all the way to adjustment screws. Are you guys saying the plastic bushing shown on my motor is incorrect? It should actually be the metal one I found in the bottom of the cabinet with the other scraps I found shown in the third picture. Not sure if so why someone would remove it. Maybe they just lost it in there and gave up. Bunch of random screws and crap in there I found when tipping it up.
It will drop the rest of the way if a ball hits it. However when it’s down it then it tends to jump and wedge itself under the visor. Assuming it just needs to be flush with play field to resolve that?
Sorry for hijacking this thread with my questions.

63C717A9-6D2E-483F-9858-B4740C7DB958 (resized).jpegDB822175-E05D-4D5F-B634-6BE66B429319 (resized).jpeg33D80799-DE09-44EB-8821-03A38928A84A (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Merrick, NY

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside