Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rcbrown316
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Black Knight Alt Drop Targets.jpg
Black Knight popups-1.jpg
image.jpg
20150524_131340_zps6mlp6bab.jpg
20150524_131308_zpslw8xodfw.jpg
20150524_131125_zps8xdt0ps0-865.jpg
20150524_131213_zpstsap3k1i.jpg
20150524_131051_zpsbrfsvwvu.jpg
20150522_163418_zps0ijgv2jy.jpg
20150522_163153_zpszyrndljg.jpg
20150522_163057_zps47fzay7l.jpg
20140831_203831_zpsy3y6tucw.jpg
20140831_204027_zpsza2mt6lb.jpg
20140831_203804_zpssshj07hk.jpg
20140826_194752_zps6v5r9j8m.jpg
20140826_194735_zps4nnexyfu.jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

picked up this roached Black Knight in sept while on a trip to pick up a bk2k. I figured what the heck i have 4 months of experience I can do this. my gal looked at me as if I had a third arm growing out of my forehead. this was my tenth game. after bringing in 17 more in the meantime needless to say it was on the back burner. i did get another used PF for it but I was pretty scared to take this on. My buddy Joe has a ton of experience and helped me out along the way. I retouched the newer PF and he clearcoated it here with some equipment and supplies I bought. I will likely do the next one myself

the bad:
roached PF
no power supply
no driver board
only one half of a display
speaker hosed
no lock bar
rusty legs
sound board needed new caps
20140826_194216_zps1fl0hzqh.jpg
20140826_194249_zpstb04rlse.jpg
20140826_194346_zpsvpibwn4n.jpg
20140826_194539_zpsn8xvxsn9.jpg
20140826_194553_zpspdgmcfur.jpg
20140826_194735_zps4nnexyfu.jpg
20140826_194752_zps6v5r9j8m.jpg
20140826_194820_zpsq1c3ggk8.jpg
20140831_203831_zpsy3y6tucw.jpg
20140831_204027_zpsza2mt6lb.jpg

the good:
BG was decent
cabinet was decent
underside of PF complete and remarkably clean
20140831_203804_zpssshj07hk.jpg

the job:

new clearcoated pf
used power supply
new rottendog display set
new kohout driver board
new lock bar
new glass
rebuilt all 4 flippers
rebuilt all 4 drop target assy's
tumbled all hardway
hand buffed all PF metal, coin door, lockbar
added chrome trim in strategic areas
color matching leds from comet in the inserts
1 smd whites in the GI
20150522_163057_zps47fzay7l.jpg
20150522_163153_zpszyrndljg.jpg
20150524_131051_zpsbrfsvwvu.jpg
20150524_131125_zps8xdt0ps0.jpg
20150524_131213_zpstsap3k1i.jpg
20150524_131308_zpslw8xodfw.jpg
20150524_131340_zps6mlp6bab.jpg

20140826_194231_zpsgtbqbflj (1).jpg
20150522_163418_zps0ijgv2jy.jpg
i am very pleased with the results. never played on a clearcoated playfield before. it's the fastest game in my collection and aside from the black knight sounding like herman munster doing bong hits when he laughs it plays flawlessly.

#2 3 years ago

wow...great job

#3 3 years ago

Very very nice. It looks better than brand new. Congrats.

#4 3 years ago

Wow, came out great! Very satisfying for you I bet! Great game!

#5 3 years ago

thanks cosmo. there are some cosmetic flaws on the cabinet and a few spots on the PF where the color ran when we cleared it. BG has a bunch of spots too. I could have gone more crazy but I don't think this game commands a huge price no matter what you do to it so I stopped at what I consider to be a high mid-level restoration. i didn't realize all the cool shit that goes on in this game. pretty awesome for 1980

#6 3 years ago

And where are the drop target decals?

Seriously though, nice job. The same treatment is on the schedule for mine, though it's not as bad as what you started with.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Wow, came out great! Very satisfying for you I bet! Great game!

hugely satisfying. i hung up the golf clubs this year to work on machines. when you are a 16 handicap the satsifaction comes too infrequently lol

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

And where are the drop target decals?
Seriously though, nice job. The same treatment is on the schedule for mine, though it's not as bad as what you started with.

i'm waffling on the decals. i don't like the way the look and there's enough cool artwork already. i think the decals make it look too busy plus they don't really match in color. no pink knights for this guy. would love some chrome targets

#9 3 years ago

Looks great. And that is a very fun game. One of the best from that era.

#10 3 years ago

Wonderful job!

#12 3 years ago

Congrats on a job well done!

#13 3 years ago

Very nice work. You have to feel awesome playing that game now because you know the work you've dumped into it. Good feeling!

#14 3 years ago

The perfect restore-
Not scared to show it.
Not scared to play it!

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

The perfect restore-
Not scared to show it.
Not scared to play it!

right on bro!

#16 3 years ago

Great stuff! I just did almost the same to mine!

Just a thought, could we chrome our drop targets? I know there's a fellow that's making them out of aluminium in the future, but I thought chrome would be pretty sweet, heck black would be sweet, but I dont like blank drop targets, and I dont like the stickers either, and the BK2K stickers dont look right on BK. HMph.... What do you think?

#17 3 years ago

Nice job! Always fun to play it after doing all that work.

Gameplay video?

#18 3 years ago

The aluminum ones could be polished out to a mirror finish. Not too much trouble. Whoever is making the aluminum ones should offer them in a brushed, mirror or powder coated colored finished. Have the artwork on the aluminum drop targets etched on. Would be awesome as (insert explicative)!!!

Nice job on your game. I have one I am putting back together. Currently repopulating the playfield. Playfields are CPR and gorgeous. Can't wait to be finished.

#19 3 years ago

there was some dude that was doing something with bk2k targets. shiny chrome looking stuff. looked sweet but not sure if they would fit on this. if someone just made a better looking sticker i'd be happy with that. the blank targets are kinda pink too. looks terrible but those stickers look worse to me. ahhh just thought of something. auto body bling mylar stuff. gonna check that out. that or some obama stickers lol...

#20 3 years ago

Outstanding! Great to see another game saved.

#21 3 years ago

Remarkable transformation.

#22 3 years ago

Pretty cool how you brought in back to life. Nice.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

The aluminum ones could be polished out to a mirror finish. Not too much trouble. Whoever is making the aluminum ones should offer them in a brushed, mirror or powder coated colored finished. Have the artwork on the aluminum drop targets etched on. Would be awesome as (insert explicative)!!!

I think all will be available

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-billet-drop-targets-im-working-on

#25 3 years ago

BK is a classic. Nice work!

#27 3 years ago

Keep it up.

#28 3 years ago

could always make custom drop decals. I did it for my SOF targets and Torpedo ally drop bank.

#29 3 years ago

That's an impressive job RC!!

#30 3 years ago

*ClapClapClap*

#31 3 years ago

thanks grump! see? i'm not completely inept after all. just mostly lol

TAF is next. it'll be a while though. gonna get it running with the existing pf which is pretty bad, play it for a bit to work out the final bugs then swap in a used, retouched, cleared pf like we did on this one. should be interesting considering the vast difference in parts between that and the BK

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

could always make custom drop decals. I did it for my SOF targets and Torpedo ally drop bank.

nice man. how would one go about doing that? if you wanna make a bunch I will buy them from you and just be the black knight target decal dude that people call when they need better black knight target decals

#33 3 years ago

Do you own a scope? I can help you track down the sample playback speed issue if you want.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Do you own a scope? I can help you track down the sample playback speed issue if you want.

you mean the herman munster thing dude? no I dont possess an o-scope appreciate the offer though man. i'm more of a pretend to use a dmm for a few minutes then fill a shotgun up with caps and semiconductors and start blastin' away

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i'm more of a pretend to use a dmm for a few minutes then fill a shotgun up with caps and semiconductors and start blastin' away

Haha, yes the Munster thing, and sometimes shotgun isn't bad if it is cheap. There are ways without a scope to figure out what is up. It would just help to see the clock speed with a scope.

#36 3 years ago

so lets say there's an issue with clock speed. what do you replace? there's also other erroneous voice issues. i know it's on that module. i recapped the sound board already

#37 3 years ago

All your samples would be off if the xtal was off, and you'd probably have other sound issues too.

I wanted to see if the sample was playing a precise speed in multiples, like exactly double what it should be. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression different samples play back at different speeds, and for whatever reason, this one is being treated as on that should be played faster instead of slower. It could be a flaky Delta Demodulator, IC 1 on the speech board, but they usually suffer from thermal issues and you completely loose speech after like 15 minutes or so of being on. I'm looking though the schematics to see what kinda tests you can do with a meter.
There is also the 555 timer on there, pin 9 controls the speech clock. If the 555 is socketed, you could shotgun that part.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

All your samples would be off if the xtal was off, and you'd probably have other sound issues too.
I wanted to see if the sample was playing a precise speed in multiples, like exactly double what it should be. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression different samples play back at different speeds, and for whatever reason, this one is being treated as on that should be played faster instead of slower. It could be a flaky Delta Demodulator, IC 1 on the speech board, but they usually suffer from thermal issues and you completely loose speech after like 15 minutes or so of being on. I'm looking though the schematics to see what kinda tests you can do with a meter.
There is also the 555 timer on there, pin 9 controls the speech clock. If the 555 is socketed, you could shotgun that part.

if I understand this correctly what you are saying is:所有樣品將被關閉,如果XTAL被關閉,你可能有其他的聲音問題了。
我想看看樣品被打了精確的速度倍數,究竟喜歡什麼樣的兩倍它應該是。糾正我,如果我錯了,但我的印象是不同的樣品回放以不同的速度下,以任何理由,這一個被視為上應發揮的更慢而不是更快。這可能是一個片狀三角洲解調器,IC1對語音板,但他們通常從散熱問題受苦,你像後15分鐘左右被完全上講話鬆動。我期待,雖然原理圖,看看還挺考驗你可以用米做的。
也有555定時器上有,銷9控制話音時鐘。如果是555嵌,你可以獵槍的那部分

Right? sorry man I couldn't resist. I appreciate you trying to help me.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

fill a shotgun up with caps and semiconductors and start blastin' away

You always keep me laughing!

#40 3 years ago

LOL! Sorry, shotgun replace the 555 timer IC on the speech board if it is socketed and you have another 555 timer laying around. Has to be the non-CMOS type. Not a "7555" IC. Ratshack also sells both the CMOS and non-CMOS versions.

I type up that stuff mostly for myself for my own understanding in threads for troubleshooting so I can references back to thoughts on what can be wrong, and also correct myself if necessary. I get the same jibberish joke from my friends and co-workers all day.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You always keep me laughing!

i like you grump, you laugh at my shit. now i'm not the only one who thinks i am funny. remember that genesis lights one?

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

LOL! Sorry, shotgun replace the 555 timer IC on the speech board if it is socketed and you have another 555 timer laying around. Has to be the non-CMOS type. Not a "7555" IC. Ratshack also sells both the CMOS and non-CMOS versions.

have an entire working firepower in my storage area. maybe i can rape it out of there before the guy comes to pick it up "that's weird man, sound was workin' fine, you know these 35 year old games though..."

#43 3 years ago

I'm not sure it'll be socketed though. You may have to desolder it. And this is just a rough guess. Also, whenever I read your posts, I read them like Kirk. I'm tempted to switch my profile to Walken so everyone does that with mine.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

nice man. how would one go about doing that? if you wanna make a bunch I will buy them from you and just be the black knight target decal dude that people call when they need better black knight target decals

I just created images in photoshop. Printed them out on the printer. Laminated them with thin mylar, added dry adhesive backing (so it's softer and thicker to help absorb the rivet on standups, but also bonds like cement) and away you go. Didn't take long once you know what kind of art you would like.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I'm not sure it'll be socketed though. You may have to desolder it. And this is just a rough guess. Also, whenever I read your posts, I read them like Kirk. I'm tempted to switch my profile to Walken so everyone does that with mine.

"you MAY havetodesolderit"

thats the best impression I can do using a keyboard. If you meet me in person I got some more to bring.

yeah. walken is awesome. you ever hear jay mohr do him?

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

you ever hear jay mohr do him?

Skittles on SNL was hillarious

#47 3 years ago

Great Job!!!

#49 3 years ago

My friend did not like the pink stickers.
This is what he put on. I thought it looked good.
We just print them off on sticker paper, cover the sticker with a layer of heavy clear packing tape then cut them out and apply.
I have done this with many drop targets and it looks nice and holds up amazingly well. I have never had to replace a sticker/tape decal yet (home use)
Just something to consider.

image.jpg
#50 3 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

My friend did not like the pink stickers.
This is what he put on. I thought it looked good.
We just print them off on sticker paper, cover the sticker with a layer of heavy clear packing tape then cut them out and apply.
I have done this with many drop targets and it looks nice and holds up amazingly well. I have never had to replace a sticker/tape decal yet (home use)
Just something to consider.

image.jpg

Please someone make these and sell them to me

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside