(Topic ID: 302197)

I turn 30 today! What do I need to know about life?

By ruralcollector

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

have-a-good-time-all-the-time (resized).jpg
    hand2 (resized).jpg
    Common-dashboard-lights-explained (resized).png
    d (resized).jpg
    akbar.gif
    There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 2 years ago

I've found that I'm a bit younger than many folks in this hobby and I always enjoy listening to the wisdom and experiences of people who have been on this rock longer than me. What were you doing when you were 30? What would you have done differently? Crass and sarcasm expected!

#2 2 years ago

It only goes downhill from here!

#3 2 years ago

30s were great
    You got aboot 3-4 years left of three ways, Well, before they get kind of yucky
    Still got 5+ years till your alcoholic friends start dying.

#4 2 years ago

You don't know shit until about 40! (problem is you think you know it all when you're 20)

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

30s were great
    Still got 5+ years till your alcoholic friends start dying.

Sad but true! I'm well on my way! Joking

#6 2 years ago

Finally grew up when I met my wife to be. Been together for 30 years.

#7 2 years ago

Over the last year I made some substantial changes in my life for the better.
    Number one was do what makes me happy, make time for hobbies or freinds/family.

#8 2 years ago

You have about 5 more years until the warranty on your body parts expires. You currently don't understand why you need such expensive healthcare when you are not a user of it, but in a few more years, you will start pooling up all of the surgeries/procedures needed because your family deductible is met for the year by the end of January.

#9 2 years ago

Thats about the age I started thinking about marriage and my auto mechanic said this to me.

He basically said “son, you married”, to which I responded “no, just haven’t found the right girl”.

His response was “stop looking for true love”.
    You need to find a girl that:

1) Thinks the sun rises and sets in your ass crack and worships the ground you walk on and you both get along.
    2) You like having sex with her and she likes having sex with you.
    And
    3) Hopefully she has her own car, but its not a deal breaker.

Being that he was an auto mechanic I fully understood the third one.

If you’re asking for pinball advice, just have fun.

#10 2 years ago

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

#11 2 years ago

Fiber.

#12 2 years ago

Body/muscle aches for no reason whatsoever....

#13 2 years ago

At 30, your dad is smarter than you used to believe

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

You don't know shit until about 40! (problem is you think you know it all when you're 20)

Before getting married in a Catholic church my wife and I met with a priest. I was 25. He talked about how a person doesn't understand much of life until their 40. My wife asked me what I got out of his advice and I told her that he probably just had his 43 birthday or something like that. Some people peak early and some bloom later. I try to get a little better everyday as a human. I can try to be less of a smart ass, while trying not to be a dumbass.

#16 2 years ago

When I turned 30 I remember looking back at when I was 20 and thinking,"I thought I knew it all at, now I finally do". Then I turned 40 and thought about all the stuff I didn't know at 30. NOW, I got this.... Then I turned,50,repeat... Now I'm 52 and don't feel stupid but I'm sure I'll think I was when I turn 60.

Happy birthday!

#17 2 years ago

Happy Birthday!!

- Find love, whether it be people, pets, passions, pinball, but once you find that love never assume “forever”, just be thankful for the time you have
    - Don’t over extend your commitments, structure your life so that you have plenty of “me” time
    - Invest in family, friends and a job, that invest back in you
    - Treat people with empathy, respect, patience and kindness
    - Don’t spend beyond your means, save for the unknown
    - Create a bucket list and let that be your compass in life
    - Invest in assets that appreciate, not ones that depreciate
    - Learn to free yourself of your need to possess people and things, most of our pain in life is related to wanting to own possessions that are just not ours to own
    - Find a way to bury the past and love and forgive yourself for all of the mistakes you have made, always look forward
    - Smile, laugh and forgive more than you should

#18 2 years ago

If your wife asks if her dress makes her look fat, don't say no honey, it's your fat that makes you look fat.
    The dress is fine.

Don't ask me how I know this one!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

If your wife asks if her dress makes her look fat, don't say no honey, it's your fat that makes you look fat.
    The dress is fine.
    Don't ask me how I know this one!

My wife always reminds me of two sayings:
    "Happy wife, happy life"
    "Cheaper to keep'er"

And yes, I concur that Atari_Daze is spot on with his comment.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from ruralcollector:

What were you doing when you were 30? What would you have done differently?

Not exercising or eating right. Exercise and eat right.

Take big risks with your career unless you're extremely happy with where you're at.

Max out the 401k / IRA.

Don't accept shit people that are shitty in your life, for *any* reason.

#21 2 years ago

Your next 30 years will go by at least twice as fast as your first 30.

#23 2 years ago

I think understanding who you are is a great start. sixteen personality free test.
    Also, perhaps some philosophy. Socrates IMO.

https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

#24 2 years ago

Alot!

And no matter how much you dwell on the number...

NO YOUR NOT FN OLD!

Not even close.

Don't let the little things bother you.

Enjoy life.

#25 2 years ago

Look after your skin! Moisturize daily and wear sunscreen in the sun. You'll look amazing at 50. Everyone looks amazing in their 20s and 30s, very few people look amazing in their 50s.

#26 2 years ago

Happy Birthday! Now go max out your Roth IRA and other investments for an earlier retirement.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

If your wife asks if her dress makes her look fat

And secondly, if this question arises, remember what a great Admiral once said:

akbar.gifakbar.gif
    #28 2 years ago
    Quoted from ruralcollector:

I've found that I'm a bit younger than many folks in this hobby and I always enjoy listening to the wisdom and experiences of people who have been on this rock longer than me. What were you doing when you were 30? What would you have done differently? Crass and sarcasm expected!

By the time I was 30 I was married for 5 years, had 2 kids and had our first home.
    Don't regret anything I did in life. Enjoy the ride!!

#29 2 years ago

I am your biological father. Enjoy life to the fullest, tomorrow is never promised.

#30 2 years ago

Don’t get married. I’m in my early 30s never been married everyone else our age stares at their feet when talking about their family.

#31 2 years ago

Happy Birthday ....

it's over......

#32 2 years ago

Live for today!
    But plan for tomorrow... just in case you make it there.

#33 2 years ago

Take care of your body. You only have 10 years left until you start to need reading glasses and as everyone has said - the body breaks down HARD and fast.

But - do what you want to NOW. Don't wait.

#34 2 years ago

Start a business, cut out toxic people from your life.

#35 2 years ago

10k by Christmas could actually mean you've lost 2k on your pinball "investment"

#36 2 years ago

Stop drinking now if you do drink
    Start using sun screen religiously
    Drink a ton of water
    Eat more fiber
    Get a sleep schedule and stick to it

This all sounds like horrible crap now but I’m 8 years ahead of you and wish I started at 30.

#37 2 years ago

Buy a house.Do whatever you can to pay it off early.Go from a 30 to a 15 year mortgage.Send extra principal payments.Work as much OT as you can if available.Fix everthing yourself.Put yourself in position to jump at the opportunity to retire early when it comes along.I retired last year at 58.Coworkers of similar seniority and age with mortgages couldn’t seize the opportunity (retirement package) and will be working for years to come.

#38 2 years ago

Get a bidet attachment for your toilet seat. You don't need anything fancy with heat and blow dry, keep it simple.

#39 2 years ago

Start saving up for an Escalera if you dont have one already. As you age, the back and knees get weaker, this thing will save you and you can still build your collection!

#40 2 years ago

Buy real estate, pay yourself first (max 401k withdrawls from paycheck), stop buying starbucks (latte effect), value people first, be nice, treat your body well (you only get one), if you are lucky enough to have kids hold them close as long days, short years.... do something nice for someone else each day.

and remember, if the day comes that you can't make your car payment and house payment, pay the car payment because you can live in your car, but you can't drive your house!

#41 2 years ago

Happy Birthday!

Don't be afraid to commit - do it early and build a life with someone, if that's what you want. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

Live for today, save for tomorrow - invest in your 401k, and get an income/rental property. If you like it, get another. You won't regret it when you retire at 50 while your friends are working another 15 years.

Spend time with the people you love. They won't always be within arms reach.

And last, don't stay in a toxic, broken relationship, whether with a girlfriend, wife, friend, whatever. Cut your losses and don't look back. It won't get better - don't spend years "working on it". It ends up te same, the only difference is you're older than you would have been.

Oh, and PLAY PINBALL!

#42 2 years ago

don't drink
    eat whole foods
    sleep schedule same everyday
    lift weights and go for early morning walks
    work on adding skills (stack them)
    always look at the girls mom for an estimate on the future.

#43 2 years ago

If you run into an asshole during the day, they're just an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you are the asshole. Don't be the asshole.

#44 2 years ago

Exercise as much as you can
    Save/invest as much as you can
    Most (like 98%) women are crazy

#45 2 years ago

Thank you know considerably less than you actually think you know

& start saving for retirement now if you haven not already

#46 2 years ago

If it’s bad with no benefits, like smoking or over-eating, stop!

Try something new you have always wanted to do. Music, flying, camping, gardening or whatever floats your boat. New pursuits are available at all budgets.

Love more, hate and complain less.

Happy Birthday!

#47 2 years ago

Birthdays accelerate! Years used to go by like telephone poles....now they go by like a picket fence!

#48 2 years ago

Here is ALL the advice you ever need!

#49 2 years ago
    d (resized).jpgd (resized).jpg
    #50 2 years ago

You think your 20's went by fast. Wait until you see how fast your 50's go by.

LTG : )

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-turn-30-today-what-do-i-need-to-know-about-life?hl=ruralcollector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.