Topic Stats

• 285 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by eagle18
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 275 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CF0FDDFC-7BDB-40F7-A65C-A41E15045AF3 (resized).jpeg
431CEEDA-ADF2-4CC3-B521-6FABC4285F81 (resized).jpeg
859E81F3-6BE2-4B68-AFD7-FFC78D49BBC1 (resized).jpeg
817EC607-24FB-4A10-B8E0-EB8693C086CB (resized).jpeg
A571442E-D867-4CEB-8E28-809CFC639369 (resized).jpeg
F557D584-0CBD-4EF1-8A2E-132A7BF05952 (resized).jpeg
F7A85E94-DDF2-41A2-AB2B-C5F862BCD914 (resized).jpeg
7380B225-20AA-4C6B-86D5-7236CBEE5F88 (resized).jpeg
EA3CE8B0-1A41-4843-BA0D-5527C57F1122 (resized).jpeg
D0086F2D-06D6-48BB-9F1B-B6B110BED5EE (resized).jpeg
E2AB81FD-1617-4B1C-BF6D-B717CE6476D3 (resized).jpeg
F520BB5C-9B28-4859-B757-5A1BEAFA66CB (resized).jpeg
D09495D7-9098-4788-8B81-283571637399 (resized).jpeg
B75AB8A8-A2DA-43DF-BAC4-9741FE38BB54 (resized).jpeg
1FA75D85-5A81-48F9-AE99-94B60F9720E7 (resized).jpeg
B7E18E6D-9FE1-4738-90E1-E37F2F77E75C (resized).jpeg

There are 285 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 7 months ago

Sucks I even have to do this but at the same time I love working on machines. Just another learning experience.

Tear down for the hardtop

DA32255C-0F60-4E17-B55C-E60CEC5D3692 (resized).jpeg6A4F42DE-3FC5-4200-AA23-3556A2DA7BCB (resized).jpegB7E18E6D-9FE1-4738-90E1-E37F2F77E75C (resized).jpeg1FA75D85-5A81-48F9-AE99-94B60F9720E7 (resized).jpeg
#253 7 months ago

Dayuumm look at those labels!!

#254 7 months ago

I'm a little confused. What are you labeling & removing under the playfield? Whole point of a hardtop install is so you don't have to remove everything from underneath. I'm close to this step, so I'm just curious how you're planning on tackling the task.

I was planning on rebuilding all my mechs (flippers, pops, slings, etc) first, then sanding the inserts/shooter lane, applying poly, & applying the hardtop as the very last step.

#255 7 months ago

I’m swapping playfields. The playfield in the pic is the one I clear coated. The hardtopped playfield is laying face down on my pool table 2 feet out of frame of the pic.

#256 7 months ago

Bottom side of the swap is done

B75AB8A8-A2DA-43DF-BAC4-9741FE38BB54 (resized).jpegD09495D7-9098-4788-8B81-283571637399 (resized).jpeg
#257 7 months ago

Finally after 2 years she’s done!(again)

Swapped the clear coated playfield out with the other playfield with a hardtop. I really lucked out, put it in the machine and everything fired right up. Only had one outlane switch to adjust because I squished the leaves together on accident. Plays so fast and smooth!
So far the saucer is fine and I nailed it head on a few times. That SprayMax stuff is the way to go for sure. Also decided to let go of my obsession of incandescent lights. I love them but they burn too hot and are just too dim. So here’s my revamp of my first restoration with a Hardtop and warm white LEDs!
F520BB5C-9B28-4859-B757-5A1BEAFA66CB (resized).jpegD0086F2D-06D6-48BB-9F1B-B6B110BED5EE (resized).jpeg431CEEDA-ADF2-4CC3-B521-6FABC4285F81 (resized).jpegE2AB81FD-1617-4B1C-BF6D-B717CE6476D3 (resized).jpeg817EC607-24FB-4A10-B8E0-EB8693C086CB (resized).jpeg859E81F3-6BE2-4B68-AFD7-FFC78D49BBC1 (resized).jpeg7380B225-20AA-4C6B-86D5-7236CBEE5F88 (resized).jpegEA3CE8B0-1A41-4843-BA0D-5527C57F1122 (resized).jpegF557D584-0CBD-4EF1-8A2E-132A7BF05952 (resized).jpegF7A85E94-DDF2-41A2-AB2B-C5F862BCD914 (resized).jpegA571442E-D867-4CEB-8E28-809CFC639369 (resized).jpeg

#258 7 months ago

She's looking really sweet once again! Congrats! So what's your next obsession going to be?

I love my MH hardtop - with the complete tear down, drop target/flipper/pop bumper/sling rebuilds she's fast and furious like new. I'm gaining experience and confidence with the Black Jack cabinet restore/repaint I'm doing now that I think my spring project is shaping up to be restoring my MH cabinet next.

#259 7 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

She's looking really sweet once again! Congrats! So what's your next obsession going to be?
I love my MH hardtop - with the complete tear down, drop target/flipper/pop bumper/sling rebuilds she's fast and furious like new. I'm gaining experience and confidence with the Black Jack cabinet restore/repaint I'm doing now that I think my spring project is shaping up to be restoring my MH cabinet next.

Thanks man! And I’m enjoying watching your BJ thread.
I’m not sure about the next. My Shangri-La is done and I should have my backglass from BGResto in the next couple weeks for that one. I might redo do the mech board for it just to keep myself busy. I think in order for me to take on a new project I’ll have to put one of my babies on the chopping block to make room.

#260 7 months ago

Looking great man. The hardtop looks fantastic. Where’d you get the plastic protectors? I was thinking of just putting clear washers on mine.

#261 7 months ago

You can probably do a playfield swap in your sleep by now. Just kidding. Good luck with this one. She’s a beauty!

#262 7 months ago

Oh she is so nice! I just had to check this one out again when I saw your check mark, I thought no way, it's done?
Freaking fantastic man, really nice job!

#263 7 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Looking great man. The hardtop looks fantastic. Where’d you get the plastic protectors? I was thinking of just putting clear washers on mine.

I actually got this lead from phillyfan64 forever ago:
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=609&zenid=f9svtqrlm4mf3qg43mgtf6dii1

#264 7 months ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

You can probably do a playfield swap in your sleep by now. Just kidding. Good luck with this one. She’s a beauty!

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Oh she is so nice! I just had to check this one out again when I saw your check mark, I thought no way, it's done?
Freaking fantastic man, really nice job!

Thanks guys! Yeah I’m glad it’s done I’m sick of working on this thing hahaha
Not gonna lie, I turned all the lights out and just stared at her all lit up like a xmas tree for about 30 minutes last night.

#265 7 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Finally after 2 years she’s done!(again)
Swapped the clear coated playfield out with the other playfield with a hardtop. I really lucked out, put it in the machine and everything fired right up. Only had one outlane switch to adjust because I squished the leaves together on accident. Plays so fast and smooth!
So far the saucer is fine and I nailed it head on a few times. That SprayMax stuff is the way to go for sure.

Yeap, that stuff is marvelous. I am very happy I used it on my Mata Hari and Playboy playfields.

Quoted from mrm_4:

Also decided to let go of my obsession of incandescent lights. I love them but they burn too hot and are just too dim. So here’s my revamp of my first restoration with a Hardtop and warm white LEDs!

Oh!! The Heresy.... but it is your machine and it looks fabulous.

Yves

#266 7 months ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Yeap, that stuff is marvelous. I am very happy I used it on my Mata Hari and Playboy playfields.

Oh!! The Heresy.... but it is your machine and it looks fabulous.
Yves

Thanks Yves, glad to see you pop up in threads every now and then!

#267 7 months ago

Did you use the Spraymax just on the saucer, or did you use it on the inserts & shootlane as well before applying the hardtop? Hard to keep these threads straight.

Assuming you went with this?

amazon.com link »

mrm_4 arcane Based on your experiences, what to you think is the best way to approach the playfield on a hardtop install? Becausing I think I'm leaning....

Paint & then spraymax clear the saucer
Polyurethane the shooter lane & exposed wood areas
Wet sand the inserts to glossy shine, paint insert edges black as needed.
Apply the hardtop

I suppose a spraymax coat upon the entire sanded playfield would solve everything, but I'm really reluctant to do that as I've never used the stuff & the garage temps are dropping fast.

#268 7 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

arcane Based on your experiences, what to you think is the best way to approach the playfield on a hardtop install?

I have absolutely no experience with the so called "hardtops". I have glued what used to be called "overlay" on a Flash Gordon, long time ago, and did not like the "plasticky" look at the end. Plus the inserts sometimes do not match very well, and the light is considerably reduced, forcing you to use higher wattage bulbs or LEDs. I am a proponent of restoring playfields as much as possible (re-paint, touch-ups, clear coat) and cringe when I see all these salvageable playfields sanded to the wood, and covered with a hardtop. Would you do that to an old painting from a Master?

I really cannot comment.

Yves

#269 7 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Paint and then spraymax clear the saucer
Polyurethane the shooter lane and exposed wood areas
Wet sand the inserts to glossy shine, paint insert edges black as needed.
Apply the hardtop

FWIW, that is what I did with one deviation: instead of using Spraymax on the saucer (painted black with Createx), I used Krylon Crystal Clear gloss. It held up well for about 100 plays, but then some of the black toward the bottom back of the saucer started to wear away. Other than that, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. The inserts, shooter lane, and exposed wood areas look terrific.

I'm not sure if the black wearing away in that spot is because the clear product I used isn't good enough or if I perhaps didn't get enough layers/coats in that particular area. Either way, I think when I restore the MH cabinet this spring/summer I'm going to repair the saucer and try Spraymax for the clear. I wasn't going to bother with the cabinet, but after having the MH playfield playing and looking like new I want to take the pin the whole way now.

#270 7 months ago

so far I'm happy with the spraymax in the saucer, if I could do it again i would've cleared all the shooter, apron, upper arch, and saucer. I'm jaded with clearing the inserts because of ghosting. I know millions of play fields are cleared with no problems with inserts but the ghosting inserts are what caused me to go hardtop so I just sanded them and glossed them up with poly. i would recommend on the back side of the hardtop make sure all debris is removed from the clear parts of the insert. I thought i had mine clean as a whistle but after i was done little pieces of dust or debris magically appeared. I can barely see it but because I'm such a perfectionist I'm constantly looking for stuff like that.

With the actual laying down process i would recommend clamping right around where the snake head are and peeling the protective backing from the lower half just up to the 1000-Special inserts, lay down the exposed adhesive then remove the clamps and then peel the rest of the backing off and laying down the top.

When you're done you're going to chuckle at how easy it was. The biggest part for me was just making sure no bits of dust would get under the insert windows. Just take your time lining up the registration.

#271 7 months ago

Seems like everyone who has attempted to paint & clear the saucer all end up with some damage to the clear at the back of the saucer after playing. The only time I've read this not happening is when spraymax clear is used. But mainly it needs to be applied correctly. It would be really depressing to get damage like that after the hardtop is installed, because I don't think there would be anyway to repair the clear damage afterwards.

Quoted from mrm_4:

if I could do it again i would've cleared all the shooter, apron, upper arch, and saucer.

Care to elaborate why? Didn't get the right results with the wipe on poly?

#272 7 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Seems like everyone who has attempted to paint & clear the saucer all end up with some damage to the clear at the back of the saucer after playing. The only time I've read this not happening is when spraymax clear is used. But mainly it needs to be applied correctly. It would be really depressing to get damage like that after the hardtop is installed, because I don't think there would be anyway to repair the clear damage afterwards.

Care to elaborate why? Didn't get the right results with the wipe on poly?

I just didn’t realize how easy to use and great the stuff is.

4 months later
#273 87 days ago

I caught Artoo admiring The Eye of the Day....

CF0FDDFC-7BDB-40F7-A65C-A41E15045AF3 (resized).jpeg
#274 86 days ago

I can tell Artoo is totally enraptured in your nice example...

That's certainly a unique name for a cat, love it. I'm sure there's an interesting story there!

#275 86 days ago
Quoted from Dono:

I can tell Artoo is totally enraptured in your nice example...
That's certainly a unique name for a cat, love it. I'm sure there's an interesting story there!

Just a huge Star Wars fan haha
(R2)

#276 85 days ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Just a huge Star Wars fan haha
(R2)

Ah yes, fantastic!

2 months later
#277 24 days ago

anyone care to comment on a fair asking price for this game? Im not selling but i am interested in knowing what a restored game can be sold for, or if i did list how much i could get away with before the Price Police showed up and started bashing me with their virtual Billy-Clubs.

I'm not even going to post how much I have in this game, but its a few grand...

"They go for $10,000 on eBay!" There I got that joke out of the way....

#278 24 days ago

My opinion is: Much less than you have spent on restoring the game.

You have a beautiful restore there. The game looks great. The other issue is that how many people in the hobby will spend for a Mata Hari?

I went overboard on redoing a Bally Rolling Stones. I will probably get half to two-thirds back of what I spent.

My guess is $2200?

#279 24 days ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

My opinion is: Much less than you have spent on restoring the game.
You have a beautiful restore there. The game looks great. The other issue is that how many people in the hobby will spend for a Mata Hari?
I went overboard on redoing a Bally Rolling Stones. I will probably get half to two-thirds back of what I spent.
My guess is $2200?

Yeah that’s probably pretty fair. I know with restorations you never get back what you put in but I’m too new in the hobby to have seen enough restored pins for sale to see how much they compare to the median sale prices.

#280 24 days ago

There are some die-hard Mata Hari fans out there....myself included. You've got a beautiful machine and I'd have no qualms at starting the price at $2750 and try to hold as tight to that as possible. Another good angle for selling is that you've been thru your machine from top to bottom, inside and out, and I'd wager that as it stands today it's 110% more reliable that most every other Mata Hari out there and as reliable (perhaps even more) than when it was new.

#281 23 days ago

I got mine from TNT. If I remember right it was around $2500. I've put so much more into it that I would never get my money back. I absolutely love the backglass and for that reason alone I don't think I could ever part with it.

#282 22 days ago

Same here. I love Mata Hari for the colors, backglass artwork and overall sense of the game (all in rebounds).
Plus, it has a sentimental value and great memories attached to it.
It was an enormous amount of work to restore it but well worth it.

Yves

#283 22 days ago

It seems like if u can get back what u paid for the game and the parts u put into it, your doing good. Not sure if u ever get anything for the labor. I had 3 games at one time and only 2 now but Mata Hari has always been the favorite when non pinball people come over and play. They can catch on to the rule set real easy and score good. They love the artwork and simplicity of it. My girlfriend loves playing Mata Hari. I keep it set to 5 ball and have the first replay set at 280k so they can hear the knocker if the play a decent game. They love that.

#284 22 days ago

This is interesting:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-mata-hari-cpr-playfield-installed-with-cpr-plastics

$2800 Mata Hari
Not sure if this supports or opposes the prices suggested.
CPR playfield and Plastics total would be $1000.00ish

I guess it’s in line with the mind set of paying for parts mostly.

Just thinking based on math of parts knowing what I paid and estimating what panzerfreak probably paid.

I’m glad the sale is pending!

#285 21 days ago

This is in another thread...

I have a mint Joker Poker. a few lights work, one leg is soldered permanently to the cab, the backglass was replaced with and old Paragon glass, and the coin door won't open. First $3,500 takes it.

If they get that price for that machine mrm_4 ....your Mata Hari must be worth at least $5K.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 157.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 149.00
Trade
Sale Pending!
Milford, DE
There are 285 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside