(Topic ID: 37915)

I thought I was getting good at SS, then I went to papa site...

By Rick471

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

That's all it takes for me to get back down to earth.

Those tutorials/videos are mind-blowing!!

#2 6 years ago

link?

#3 6 years ago

Where is the vid for ss ?

#5 6 years ago

"I thought I was getting good at [insert pinball game name here], went to PAPA blog, felt absolute shame and disgust for not even cracking 50% of score posted online. Drank more adult beverages, felt better."

#6 6 years ago

^^^^^ yup...

#7 6 years ago

Wait til you get a vid of Bowen or Elwin playing your favorite game one handed and racking up. It's been an encouragement and training for me rather than discouraging in any way. love those papa vids. Course, I also love it when they cut to the caption "13 games later . . . " before showing the last demo game.

If you watch the tournament vids even the masters get housed sometimes or play strategy that's not the strongest. Gives one hope.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

"I thought I was getting good at [insert pinball game name here], went to PAPA blog, felt absolute shame and disgust for not even cracking 50% of score posted online. Drank more adult beverages, felt better."

Lol! This!

#9 6 years ago

I know right...but I can score better on The Getaway, so I feel better now.

I love watching those videos, then I go to SS Billiards, and I can't reproduce the same effect. Sure, I get the rules (mostly, hard to remember in the heat of battle, for some of the more complex stacking) I can control the ball pretty well, but simply learning shot placement on a specific table is more important. Hitting the right shots accurately the first time is key.

#10 6 years ago

The PAPA BSD video made me feel especially inferior, LOL.

#11 6 years ago

If you wanna feel even more inferior, watch something like his TF video...then think about how he is killing the game, calling shots and gaining control, while talking about the game in a coherent way.

#12 6 years ago

Watching PAPA videos gets me so pumped up and ready to play pinball! Fortunately, or not, I have watched most of the archive. Some of them several times. Don't forget that many of the videos are "play it until you get that perfect game." Of course, that is not to detract from the fact that Bowen and the others are amazing players.

#13 6 years ago

Those vids get me pumped for some pinball

#14 6 years ago

I watch them in bed; on a sleep timer. Bowen's voice is just so damn soothing...

Plus,
I'd like to think he's subliminally training me on ___, as I slumber.
BDK billion shot- yeah, I got that...

#15 6 years ago

Some of the videos are first-game-lucky, too, such as that TF game. (Actually it was two, one to show Decepticons, one to show Autobots.) We try to be pretty "legit" about showing when games took a lot of tries, like Stars and Spiderman.

I'm glad this is pumping people to play more pin and to improve your game. Mark @ PAPA does an amazing job getting the games in great shape, then editing and publishing the videos, then maintaining the archive at pinball.org.

I'm very scared that people are watching these videos in bed. Please, just fall asleep!

#16 6 years ago

Wow, those games are fast.

Any chance of a Roadshow tutorial, Bowen?

Thanks.

#17 6 years ago

Ewww! Eventually. It seems to be popular somehow. There's a few games ahead of Road Show in line, but we'll get there.

#18 6 years ago

Did you just say ewww to roadshow?
Thanks anyway. I'll be patient.

#19 6 years ago

ewww roadshow? I love that game!

#20 6 years ago

Spiderman was the one I was talking about specifically, that rule set is badass and complex. I'd buy one tomorrow if I could afford it, excellent machine! The video helped for sure, but in the heat of battle, it's hard to remember. Practice makes perfect...

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Ewww! Eventually. It seems to be popular somehow. There's a few games ahead of Road Show in line, but we'll get there.

Thanks so much for the videos, Bowen. I watch them not only to learn the rules and strategies better, but also to become a better nudger - the key that separates the best players from the rest of us.

FWIW, I like RoadShow. It's not like someone asked for a tutorial on BBH. Now, that's a turd.

#22 6 years ago

Do Swords of Fury.

"Here cum da gaurds!"

#23 6 years ago

I seem to remember the dracula game was first take as well, which is why the coffin lock was broken and eb's were on. That was our test game, and then after 3b points I'm watching bowen thinking, crap, now I have to publish this video with the game looking broken...

It still surprises me how many of bowen's vids were within the first few takes.

#24 6 years ago

Ya I agree. I watch them to see how much I really stink and how much I can get better.

#25 6 years ago

THAT video was depressing to watch....I need MUCH more practice...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside