(Topic ID: 7926)

I Think this is the most infuriating hobby!!, EVER!

By stuartr7

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

seal_clubbing_.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

HI, Guys,
    I'm sure you have all experienced the same frustration when trying to buy a pin,
    I started the weekend with 4 leads, and was hoping to pick up on monday,and was hoping to score 2 project pins.
    One guys say's he'll give me first crack on monday, then I get an email saying he sold it on sunday!!!!,
    The other 3 just stopped communicating.
    I think there must be a team around the GTA that swoops on any reasonably priced pin!!
    Well hopefully I'll find a seller that will keep their word!!!
    I guess this is the thrill of the chase, and the depression of the failure to get one!!!
    Pins are great, I just wish it was easier to get them!!

#2 12 years ago

The thrill of the chase man, you'll have one pop up on ya.

Just consider yourself lucky you didn't drive 200 km just to find out it was gone.

#3 12 years ago

I've learned if someone has something, go down with cash and your van and make the deal on the spot. MANY times I waited only to have the machine sold to the guy who got there first with the cash in hand.

#4 12 years ago

It sucks but it's actually like that in every hobby when it comes to the buy/sell/trade aftermarket. When I was shopping for a new home theater projector, it was all scammers and flakes. Not one good opportunity after 20 or so emails, so I gave up and bought retail.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

It sucks but it's actually like that in every hobby when it comes to the buy/sell/trade aftermarket. When I was shopping for a new home theater projector, it was all scammers and flakes.

I noticed the same while trying to buy a guitar over the weekend. Ebay is all buy it now just like pinball

My advice is build up a network of pinball friends if you can.

OOh and I should add that you are not alone. I have given up looking for the moment but I'm lucky enough to have some nice games already.

#6 12 years ago

I can't buy anything I want right now bc nobody has anything i want for sale.

#7 12 years ago

When buying a pin from a classified ad, nothing else matters but physically getting to the pin with cash in hand faster than anyone else.

Don't have a truck or your pin hauler? If you are desperate, you could always pay for the pin, then take the playfield or backglass with you until you can return with a truck.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I can't buy anything I want right now bc nobody has anything I want for sale ...

One thing I've learned is that you have to be flexible in this hobby. Sometimes you just have to jump on a deal, even if the pin wasn't necessarily on your radar.

Quoted from pinb0t:

Don't have a truck or your pin hauler? If you are desperate, you could always pay for the pin, then take the playfield or backglass with you until you can return with a truck.

That's actually a really good idea!

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinb0t:

When buying a pin from a classified ad, nothing else matters but physically getting to the pin with cash in hand faster than anyone else.

+1

People who sell these things want the money asap. Knife cuts both ways, as people call saying to hold it for them only to never to show up.

I've gotten two pins off CL, picked them up as quick as I could get there. Had to borrow 2 friends trucks to do it.

Also made one pull the ad after giving him a paypal deposit.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from stuartr7:

Pins are great, I just wish it was easier to get them!!

Yea, just be patient the right deal for you will come along eventually. Keep and eye out and be ready to move very quickly on the pins in the wishlist and you should find one before too long. I know how frustrating it can be but just keep your head up and eyes open (on CL and other classifieds) and you will get one. I agree show up quickly offer cash that day with what you are willing to spend on it and that will give you the best chance to snatch one up.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I like that idea = my new strategy from now on!

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

A few times I've asked if sellers would pull their CL ads after it's confirmed that I am coming over to get the pin. To my surprise they have done it every time I asked. I only do this if I am 99% sure I will be taking the pin home though.

Might as well ask, as a buyer you have nothing to lose.

#13 12 years ago

We all have our own "thing" that makes our blood flow in this hobby. I'm a hunter. I love the chase. A buddy of mine hates the chase. His thing is to take a hopeless project and make it new again. He gets one done and tells me it'll never leave his collection. 2 days later it's gone and he wants something else to work on.

#14 12 years ago

Sometimes you find a few folks who just aren't very trust worthy. A guy from Phoeniz had a WH2O announced on RPG. I told him I'd buy it at his price and we started to make arrangements for pick up, then no further word. After a few e-mails he told me to be patient. Next thing I see on Mr. P that his price has gone up $500. While I really wanted that pin, I'm not going to deal with scum like that.
    the other Skip

#15 12 years ago

there's a lot of resellers that do this for a living (especially in urban areas), so they watch craigslist like a hawk, and they have the time to jump on deals. I guess it's like any other industry (houses, cars), cept there are a lot less pins for sale than other industries.

#16 12 years ago

What are you looking for? I have quite a few leads on stuff around Ontario, 90% I turn down, mostly older stuff, mostly GTA.

Most people on maaca scan kijiji by the minute, or have rss feeds for the new listings, so don't expect to come across anything good there and actually land it.

Also, if you are telling people you can't come until whatever day, don't expect to get anything. You have to be ready to leave NOW and be able to get the cash out NOW. I'm sure this is the same across the board in any area.

That's what I've learned.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from stuartr7:

One guys say's he'll give me first crack on monday, then I get an email saying he sold it on sunday!!!!,

Thats what happened with the LOTR HUO I was looking to get on craigstlist hahah
    But to the person who bought his house, so not so bad haha

#18 12 years ago

It happens. Then you move on. Then you find a $2000 game for $1000 and life is good again. I wish people would be true to their word, but they are people and us honest ones just have to deal with it. If they are so quick to move a game it might not be worth having. A dishonest seller is also going to sell a really crappy game and say it's "just a fuse". Maybe you dodged a bullet. There are more out there.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

I noticed the same while trying to buy a guitar over the weekend. Ebay is all buy it now just like pinball

That Elvis pin has really had a strong effect on you eh! Are you also in the market for a pair of white flared sequined trousers and matching large colleared shirt too by any chance?

#20 12 years ago

Its has taken about 5 years to put together my collection 9 machines 2 of which are current projects. You want to go out in a weekend and find two good deals?

#21 12 years ago

Just remember, time is your friend. I remember the first time I thought I got jacked on a machine deal on CL, I could not believe it. I learned right then that it really does not matter. If you get frustrated by it then you will drive yourself insane. Always let it go, you will lose many to get a few.

As mentioned in this thread, another deal will come along that you will get. Just keep watching, stay involved with pinball locally, network and you will find them, or I should say, they will find you!

My holy grail just came to me a few days ago, took five years to find one, it was off CL even tho he is a member here, I about passed out when he called. I cannot tell you how it felt to actually land the big kahuna! It was worth the wait!

The hunt and kill are always the best part, the longer it takes the sweeter it tastes....

#22 12 years ago

Many will enter, few will win.

#23 12 years ago

It makes me laugh to myself after reading a thread like this when people talk about prices being inflated and are about to drop on good DMDs.

#24 12 years ago

I have to compete with sealclubber around here. You know what he does to baby seals, what do you think he will do to me to get a deal?

seal_clubbing_.jpgseal_clubbing_.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-this-is-the-most-infuriating-hobby-ever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.