Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Borygard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

went in and seen one up close in a line up, and just a gut feeling is- the lcd screen set up will be the wave of tomarrow leaving dmd in its wake.

also think soon stern will have to follow, or lose out major in market share if there units are priced near comperable.

its a ways off but i suspect a few years off, the dmds will be as outdated as the em's when the ss came along? could soften up and correct the dmd market.

#2 10 years ago

Here we go.

#3 10 years ago

LCD is the way of the future. I just hope Stern goes with a much smaller version.

#4 10 years ago

If it causes the price of DMD machines to drop then I am all for it.

#5 10 years ago

LCDs haven't even scratched the surface of their full potential. When you can start connecting with other pinball owners and playing games with them via wifi while watching their playfield through the use of integrated webcams, then we'll start to see what kinds of stuff they can really do with it.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

LCDs haven't even scratched the surface of their full potential. When you can start connecting with other pinball owners and playing games with them via wifi while watching their playfield through the use of integrated webcams, then we'll start to see what kinds of stuff they can really do with it.

Agreed.

I cant tell you the last time I saw a pinball machine somewhere in the wild.

The only place I know that has more than 1 broken beat up pos is the new place that took over the tournaments for Johns place in Northern VA / DC

In this day and age in traffic I just dont feel like driving 3 hrs to play.

The home market will take over eventually imo. Then things like this will matter much more than they do now. I know people say alot of machines go over seas but I would love to see the numbers for here in the good old USA. I bet its getting closer than we think on home vs retail use sales.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from lladnip:

the lcd screen set up will be the wave of tomarrow

I sure hope so.. Stern says they are making retro games... but I think it's definitely time to leave that thinking behind and update the technology.

#8 10 years ago

I still want a translight. Like people say woz is just dead black when its off. But is starn would do a LCD maybe about twice as large as a current dmd that'd be a good middle ground. As far as market share jjp can't fill current orders so I doubt stern is shaking in their boots just yet.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

LCD is the way of the future. I just hope Stern goes with a much smaller version.

It will be interesting to see stern do SOMETHING innovative here... whether bigger, smaller, etc.... just ANYTHING would be impressive. JJP has leaped far past them with WoZ for sure...

or something REALLY innovative.... like that newfangled invention, stereo sound... sigh..

I liked the LCD in WoZ.... IMO, I think its even more eyecandy for non-player observers... I, personally, rarely look up to the LCD during gameplay...

But that doesnt mean its not a cool feature. I think the possibilities during attract mode are nearly endless too to draw in players...

#10 10 years ago

Unlimited potential and hopefully a future game changer for pinball...

#11 10 years ago

I can imagine some pretty cool video modes using the lcd.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

I still want a translight. Like people say woz is just dead black when its off.

True...

I think there's some ways they could still make this better.

For example: perhaps a super low-power mode where the game runs a loop to the LCD to keep it lit, while putting the rest of the machine to sleep.

Because, on the flipside, I was thinking it might be interesting to have the LCD take up the entire backbox. And, almost like a LCD picture frame, could give the user limitless "translite" artwork.

Regardless, JJP made a quantum leap here; Stern needs to respond.... somehow.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from GreyScale:

If it causes the price of DMD machines to drop then I am all for it.

That's pretty funny. Nothing is gonna make Stern lower their prices anymore. Quite the opposite. Perhaps there's a clue to be found in their LE marketing strategy, where the few added features are sold with at least several hundred % markup.

And FWIW, a pin with LCD (e.g. WOZ) already makes the DMD games look outdated. What do you expect with 20-year-old display technology?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

And FWIW, a pin with LCD (e.g. WOZ) already makes the DMD games look outdated. What do you expect with 20-year-old display technology?

I agree, as long as the LCD game is plugged-in and working

just kiddin...

I agree with you completely. Right now, WoZ is a bit of a outlier. But, fast forward a year or 2, and if you have a row of 3-4 gorgeously lit LED/LCD games and then a couple older DMD titles - they will stick out like a sore thumb....

Sure, pinheads will still drop tokens in AFM.... but the masses? They are gonna go where the glitz is...

#15 10 years ago

That may look older, but I still enjoy system 11 games and their numerical displays just as much as newer stuff.

#16 10 years ago

Besides just looking cool I find the LCD on WOZ to really help with presenting modes that run together at one time and display there objectives. While I love LOTR and TSPP I find that at times it can be confusing to tell which modes you have running and what the current objectives are for each when they begin to stack. A DMD can only display so much information at one time and this is where the display really helps on WOZ. This may sound odd but my wife actually get's rules easier on WOZ then other in depth games. With WOZ she can pull up and view the progress screens, see where's she at and use the LCD during gameplay to inform her of all the different modes going on. Keep in mind that my wife never really played pinball before meeting me.

Also, one day we may very well see internet connected games with player profiles, stat tracking, avatars and Facebook integration all of which an LCD / LED display will help with.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, one day we may very well see internet connected games with player profiles, stat tracking, avatars and Facebook integration all of which an LCD / LED display will help with.

Sooner than you think...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Sooner than you think...

Oh man! Can't wait! This is making the wait for my WOZ even harder, time to go watch another gameplay video, lol.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Sooner than you think...

That is going to be a game changer. When we can all have a tournament without leaving our homes. I don't care what the game theme is, I would buy that game!

#20 10 years ago

I'm sure that with a tournament mode the game will lock in specific settings but what about game pitch? Can the software / hardware in WOZ tell what the games pitch is? It's not a huge deal as I'm sure most tournament players would be honest with setting the correct pitch level for their games. Internet connected tournaments are going to be huge though. Imagine seeing a thread such as "Weekend WOZ Tournament, Enter Here" with players commenting throughout the weekend on the tournament.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

That is going to be a game changer. When we can all have a tournament without leaving our homes. I don't care what the game theme is, I would buy that game!

The issue is honesty. Sure we can develop some kind of sensor or switch to ensue that the glass is on and it won't be difficult to bypass so while it will be fun it is definitely based on the honor system

#22 10 years ago

My idea of eye candy can be found in the CITPP thread.

#23 10 years ago

The LCD looks great.
The cab looks great.
The PF looks great.
The toys and models on the PF look great.
The LEDs look great.

My concern is that over the few games that I have had on it, the question I keep asking myself is: "Where is the game?" I think that the upper left mini-pf is the only exception to that entire design. Is it me... or are there just not that many shots on this widebody game? Now granted, I need more than 2 games to really get a feel for a deck... but right now, that's what I feel playing this table.

Where's the Beef ?!? - Clara Peller

#24 10 years ago

As an owner of TZ I think there are more shots on WOZ then that game. The upper left mini play has several shots and it's only (though very cool) a mini playfield. When you factor in roll overs and all of the various target based shots you can really start to see just how many shots this game has. There are 6 main "diamond" insert shots, shot to the witch, the "collect" shot behind the upper right flipper, loop around munchkin mini-pf, search shot on upper left mini-pf, castle door shot (another once it opens) on upper left mini-pf along with 6 target shots, 3 main playfield roll overs, 7 "Rainbow" targets, 4 crystal "ball" targets, "skill" shot between the thumper bumpers, winki guard shot, "winged" and "monkey" shots, and last (I think, lol) the target shot between the winki guard and main ramp. Even though they are not "shots" (nudging is needed though) the two outlane mini games are something that has never been done in pinball and really adds to the games fun factor.

One thing I find really cool about WOZ is that the stand up target shots are actually needed for gameplay. I've played a number of games where stand up targets just feel like filler shots but in WOZ they are critical to hit in order to progress though the game.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I agree, as long as the LCD game is plugged-in and working
just kiddin...
I agree with you completely. Right now, WoZ is a bit of a outlier. But, fast forward a year or 2, and if you have a row of 3-4 gorgeously lit LED/LCD games and then a couple older DMD titles - they will stick out like a sore thumb....
Sure, pinheads will still drop tokens in AFM.... but the masses? They are gonna go where the glitz is...

the masses and the glitz really sums up the points i was trying to present. i can spend a night playing a wood rail and never sorrow a bit- those that enjoy pinball will enjoy many forms of it. just standing back & taking a look seeing an entire line up in there glory it looks to be a huge game changer. exciting times we live in

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

The LCD looks great.
The cab looks great.
The PF looks great.
The toys and models on the PF look great.
The LEDs look great.
My concern is that over the few games that I have had on it, the question I keep asking myself is: "Where is the game?" I think that the upper left mini-pf is the only exception to that entire design. Is it me... or are there just not that many shots on this widebody game? Now granted, I need more than 2 games to really get a feel for a deck... but right now, that's what I feel playing this table.
Where's the Beef ?!? - Clara Peller

If it's not a blast to play, all the other points fall flat. First and foremost, the game needs to be compelling. I still haven't played one, so I don't have an opinion. Based on all the posts I've read, the excitement seems to center around the LCD, build quality, and toys. Don't really hear much excitement over the game, though this may change as the rules mature.

LCD's are great, however I would prefer the display be half the size and located much closer to the PF (like CV). I think having more of a "heads down" display that makes it easier for the player to see/use would be much better than slapping a huge display on the traditional back box. Rethinking the entire form factor of the pinball would help.

I also think it's odd that JJP is focusing exclusively on widebodies when it's clear many of pins are going into homes. 250 lbs. is bad enough...now WOZ weighs in @ 350 lbs. Ouch.

#27 10 years ago

LCD's are great, however I would prefer the display be half the size and located much closer to the PF (like CV). I think having more of a "heads down" display that makes it easier for the player to see/use would be much better than slapping a huge display on the traditional back box. Rethinking the entire form factor of the pinball would help.

The interesting thing for me was that I got to finally play WOZ at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown. The line was at least 10 deep all weekend. I felt luck to play it twice. Right next to it was the P3 pinball game that had the LCD built into the center of the PF. There was no line in front of this game.

What a crime!

The P3 system in it's rough "proto" form had more game in it than WOZ (imho) and showed the kind of promise that took me back to what Williams was trying to do with Pin2k. You could even choose which game you wanted to play from the get go. Now imagine your AFM with a game for the kids, a set of rules for the novice players and other sets of rules for more advanced/ expert players.

Please note, I am not belittling ANYTHING that Jersey Jack or his team is producing. I love the fact that another pinball manufacturer is bringing games to the market. Stern definitely needed that inspiration to make a better product. To Stern's credit, they have brought out 3 solid games (including the most righteous AC/DC) to the market since JJ has been coming onto the scene.

I'm just excited to play more pinball and see more innovative/ quality product hit the scene.

#28 10 years ago

I just played the heck out of Oz yesterday on location with my wife. We played with some stranger in his 50's for like an hour. He only played EM's his whole life, didn't get back into playing until this year. He said he's never had more fun playing pinball than on Oz (which I hear from a LOT of EM guys). Felt just like old times when pinball was heavily played. A little girl came up and played too at one point.

Playing Oz with early code at pinball shows, it was just a pretty game. Now I play it, it's REALLY fun. I'm REALLY loving the last-chance-get-your-ball-back on each outlane. It's probably the first time my wife played pinball and didn't get frustrated at it, she actually enjoyed playing pinball for the first time. She loved it so much she actually brought up the idea of buying one even after I told her it's a $7k game that we can't really afford.

Oz is a good game, not because it's just something un-stern, I really think Jersey Jack gets pinball. That's not to say Stern is a total slouch, my wife did sort of dig metallica even though it's not one of her favorite bands. We are in some glorious pinball times now that competition is back.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

She loved it so much she actually brought up the idea of buying one even after I told her it's a $7k game that we can't really afford.

Well done!!

That is the #2 thing all of us dream of hearing from our wives....

#1 has to do with a 3-threesome, Kate Upton, and likely would cost even more than $7K...

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

That is going to be a game changer. When we can all have a tournament without leaving our homes.

Yes. Just think, we'll never have to leave our basements! Won't that be wonderful?

Quoted from Pinchroma:

The issue is honesty. Sure we can develop some kind of sensor or switch to ensue that the glass is on and it won't be difficult to bypass so while it will be fun it is definitely based on the honor system

It will be easier to cheat than online video gaming. No way it will ever be legit. JJP, Stern, whoever.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

#1 has to do with a 3-threesome, Kate Upton, and likely would cost even more than $7K...

Um, my wife can sit that one out...

#32 10 years ago

I wonder if eventually a LCD display will allow games on site to also advertise. Not much use for a home game but on a location, maybe.

Correct me if wrong but isn't one of the selling points of the architecture of WOZ that eventually owners will be easily capable of rewriting rule sets and have the ability of sharing "their" rules? IOW, won't we be able to connect a keyboard rather than cycle through 4 buttons to personalize a machine?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

JJP made a quantum leap here

Ummmm maybe new tech on a pinball machine, but an lcd screen is hardly a quantum leap nowadays...

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Ummmm maybe new tech on a pinball machine, but an lcd screen is hardly a quantum leap nowadays...

I agree. Quantum Leaps can only be taken with Scott Bakula's consent.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Um, my wife can sit that one out...

Read my mind, thinking the exact same thing!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

In the world of pinball? Id say it is.

I didn't say JJP made a quantum leap in physics or medicine or technology in general; I thought it was assumed I was referring to PINBALL

What WOULD you say qualifies for a quantum leap? If its not stereo sound and LCD display- Im not sure what WOULD be....

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

I wonder if eventually a LCD display will allow games on site to also advertise. Not much use for a home game but on a location, maybe.
Correct me if wrong but isn't one of the selling points of the architecture of WOZ that eventually owners will be easily capable of rewriting rule sets and have the ability of sharing "their" rules? IOW, won't we be able to connect a keyboard rather than cycle through 4 buttons to personalize a machine?

I brought this up awhile back and was chastised for it. If you listen to the Spooky podcast, JJP would, for a fee, make custom game code for a purchaser. That is on the back burner at this time.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Are you sure you didn't mean Mark?

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

What WOULD you say qualifies for a quantum leap? If its not stereo sound and LCD display- Im not sure what WOULD be....

How is stereo sound a "quantum leap" for pinball? We had that many years ago. Yeah, it would be nice if all pins were stereo (I think the stereo sound from RFM is excellent), but just because one has it now doesn't make it a quantum leap.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

ya real tech nightmare- i can see extra action tide, and how i can save 15% on my car insurance ads comming soon between balls....

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How is stereo sound a "quantum leap" for pinball? We had that many years ago. Yeah, it would be nice if all pins were stereo (I think the stereo sound from RFM is excellent), but just because one has it now doesn't make it a quantum leap.

Well, no new pins being produced today other then WOZ are in in stereo so its just a nice feature to have. Heck the game has 7 speakers in it (sub, 2 tweeters, 4 coaxial) which alone is more than what any other machine has ever had. WOZ also comes standard with a headphone jack which is a welcome feature as well. Personally, I think WOZ is easily the best out of the box sounding pin ever made.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, no new pins being produced today other then WOZ are in in stereo so its just a nice feature to have. Heck the game has 7 speakers in it (sub, 2 tweeters, 4 coaxial) which alone is more than what any other machine has ever had. WOZ also comes standard with a headphone jack which is a welcome feature as well. Personally, I think WOZ is easily the best out of the box sounding pin ever made.

I just have to mention that when Totem came out, those sounds were so awesome compared to the first Gottlieb sound board that went something like bip-bip-bip-buh-bip when coined up. Totem played a cool song byte.

Amazing what sound improvements lay shortly ahead from that time.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

That's exactly what I was thinking .....

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

In the world of pinball? Id say it is.
I didn't say JJP made a quantum leap in physics or medicine or technology in general; I thought it was assumed I was referring to PINBALL

A quantum leap is something way cool and outside the box thinking like Pinball 2000.
(It earned a few patents ).

If you like a TV panel on your pinball machine then great. I prefer some sort of translite or backglass art that pinball machines were once noted for. Not a cheap off the shelf LCD panel.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

A quantum leap is something way cool and outside the box thinking like Pinball 2000.
If you like a TV panel on your pinball machine then great. I prefer some sort of translite or backglass art that pinball machines were once noted for. Not a cheap off the shelf LCD panel.

WOZ still has mirrored back glass. Best of both worlds!

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

WOZ still has mirrored back glass. Best of both worlds!

Perhaps in you're world.

#47 10 years ago

If a must have theme with good gameplay comes out people will buy it regardless of the display

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I brought this up awhile back and was chastised for it. If you listen to the Spooky podcast, JJP would, for a fee, make custom game code for a purchaser. That is on the back burner at this time.

Not talking about an entire rule set, just the end user having the ability to change values, threshholds, insert a message, that sort of stuff. And having a USB slot to plug in a $5 keyboard would be far more friendly than shuffling through 4 buttons.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

To each his own, I suppose.

However, its not unheard of or even surprising that big changes will turn off some folks.... PIn2K that you referenced certainly did!

I believe that when they moved to SS pinball, they were afraid the oldtimers wouldn't play these newfangled things- so they put non-functional bells and relays in the bottom of the box to simulate the whirl of the scoring drums and wheels...

Hell, some purists didn't want flippers....

So, I guess the folks that hate change are in good/rational company

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

My Playboy 35th is in stereo. Love those moans in stereo

pappy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games
Pinball Machine
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-the-woz-lcd-is-eye-candy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.