Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pipes
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25sdx8 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7C509B6B-B932-45B9-9FCF-ED959E570FCF (resized).jpeg
    giphy (resized).png
    There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 6 years ago

I treat the top 100 as the siren calling to the newbs to be saved.

#152 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I treat the top 100 as the siren calling to the newbs to be saved.

I treat it as an exact factual statement. It tells me what games I have to like and if I think I like something that is not highly ranked it lets me know that I'm wrong and that I actually do not like that game after all.

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I treat it as an exact factual statement. It tells me what games I have to like and if I think I like something that is not highly ranked it lets me know that I'm wrong and that I actually do not like that game after all.

Sound thinking. I once thought I liked SEGA pins, but..... They're not top 100 material, evidently... They suck! How wrong I was.

#154 6 years ago

The top 100 list on pinside tells me how close I am to reaching nirvana.

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Sound thinking. I once thought I liked SEGA pins, but..... They're not top 100 material, evidently... They suck! How wrong I was.

Yeah, good thing you came to pinside and figured that out. A couple of weeks ago I thought I was having fun on Goldeneye. Turns out I was really having a bad time and playing a bad game. I would have never known otherwise.

#156 6 years ago

I just want to fit in so I look at the top 10 pins and then I rate them exactly the score given by the top 100 list.

#157 6 years ago

Top 100 is based on people’s opinions of their experience. Some rate a game after 1 play, some after 100 plays and some rate games without even playing. It is what it is. Try not to take too much stock in it and/or take ratings to heart. That said, I’m pretty sure the top 100 would be a much better place without people like Whysnow but what can you do that the moderators won’t? It is what it is.

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I once thought I liked SEGA pins,

Alcohol

Quoted from jgentry:

A couple of weeks ago I thought I was having fun on Goldeneye.

Pills

Quoted from o-din:

The top 100 list on pinside tells me how close I am to reaching nirvana.

Acid

#160 6 years ago

There's a top 100?

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Top 100 is based on people’s opinions of their experience. Some rate a game after 1 play, some after 100 plays and some rate games without even playing. It is what it is. Try not to take too much stock in it and/or take ratings to heart. That said, I’m pretty sure the top 100 would be a much better place without people like whysnow but what can you do that the moderators won’t? It is what it is.

yeah, top 100 is great when filled with people that only rate DMDs

#162 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Halarious

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hey.. Funhouse is top 30!!!

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Hey.. Funhouse is top 30!!!

Oh he meant WPC era

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

rating games I’ve only played a dozen times or so isn’t my style.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

rating games I’ve only played a dozen times or so isn’t my style.

yeah, we know... You dont really have the play base to properly rate games when you have limited your experience to only 1 era from the past 7 decades of pinball.

It would probably be best for all of us if you just deleted your rankings all together. They are all rubish anyway.

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It would probably be best for all of us if you just deleted your rankings all together. They are all rubish anyway.

POTW right there

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

They are all rubish anyway.

Isn’t that kind of the point of this thread

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Isn’t that kind of the point of this thread

now you get it!

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

POTW right there

Publicly Owned Treatment Works? Patient Of The Week? Google's not helping me out on this one ...

#171 6 years ago

Post of the week

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Publicly Owned Treatment Works? Patient of the Week? Google's not helping me out on this one ...

Penis On The Window. Geeze.....

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

The longer you're in this hobby the less you'll look at the top 100.
    When you're new you look at the list to see what games are supposed to be great. If you have a price range (like most people do) you then narrow it down by the highest rated games in your price range.

I know it's not perfect, but I thought adding a price filter for the custom lists would be a good way to produce a list of machines within your price range. The bang for your buck used to be more useful, but now it's pretty much all EMs. Not saying they aren't a good bang for your buck, but it would be nice to find a list of just early-SS or DMD machines.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Penis On The Window. Geeze.....

That cold glass is refreshing.

#175 6 years ago

Please throw a potato at me if I ever waste my time ranking a pinball machine, because I sure as heck ain't wasting my time reading the rankings.

#176 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Please throw a potato at me if I ever waste my time ranking a pinball machine, because I sure as heck ain't wasting my time reading the rankings.

You get some sour cream and chives with that potato for taking the time to respond to this thread.

#177 6 years ago

I think the Top 100 is basically a fairly accurate representation of the overall general sentiment towards those games. For what it aims to do, it does a fine job.

But my question to the OP is why on Earth do you believe a bunch of strangers' opinions are more valid than your own? Do you really think averaging together hundreds of peoples' ratings results in anything meaningful? Ask yourself why you need the validation of having some online chart reinforce your own preferences.

This is kind of an unpopular opinion, but I like the Top 100. For someone who's new to pinball and doesn't know a lot of machines, the Top 100 is a great resource for figuring out what games are generally highly regarded by lots of people. It's fun to mentally check off all those top games as you get a chance to play them, and to form your own opinion of them.

But once you've had the opportunity to play those games yourself, then the ratings and rankings serve almost no purpose. You've played it. What's the use of reading, let alone worrying about, some random stranger's opinion of the game? Do you really value mass consensus over your own insights?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of mass consensus. Do you really think it's the absolute best people on Earth who tend to win elections in general?

It's particularly poor at determining the "best" in subjective or artistic fields. I think most people agree that it's rarely if ever the very best songs in the world that top the charts. And if a song you like doesn't reach the top of the charts -- does that affect how much you like that song?

Just look at the Top 100 list for what it is: one way to slice a bunch of ratings data. It's neither total bunk nor any kind of definitive anything.

#178 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

This is kind of an unpopular opinion, but I like the Top 100. For someone who's new to pinball and doesn't know a lot of machines, the Top 100 is a great resource for figuring out what games are generally highly regarded by lots of people. It's fun to mentally check off all those top games as you get a chance to play them, and to form your own opinion of them.
    But once you've had the opportunity to play those games yourself, then the ratings and rankings serve almost no purpose.

Agreed. I found it useful when I was first getting into pinball, the Top 100 and the Bang/Buck lists led me to buy a Shadow, and I can't say that was anything but an excellent outcome. Now that I've been playing a while I never look at it unless I'm reading one of these "The Top 100 List Sucks" threads. But newbies doing Google searches on pinball will run into it, and can then also read the written reviews which are often much more useful. And maybe they'll wander into Pinside and learn a thing or two here as well.

Also, having the written reviews attached to the numeric rankings and the Top 100 list probably gets at least a few more people reading and writing reviews, which is a good thing.

So keep the list right where it is, it serves its purpose even if 90% of the people that read this thread never look at it anymore.

[EDIT: Wait a minute, Shadow is no longer in the Top 25?!? These rankings are bullshit.]

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I think the Top 100 is basically a fairly accurate representation of the overall general sentiment towards those games. For what it aims to do, it does a fine job.
    But my question to the OP is why on Earth do you believe a bunch of strangers' opinions are more valid than your own? Do you really think averaging together hundreds of peoples' ratings results in anything meaningful? Ask yourself why you need the validation of having some online chart reinforce your own preferences.
    But once you've had the opportunity to play those games yourself, then the ratings and rankings serve almost no purpose. You've played it. What's the use of reading, let alone worrying about, some random stranger's opinion of the game? Do you really value mass consensus over your own insights?
    Personally, I'm not a huge fan of mass consensus. Do you really think it's the absolute best people on Earth who tend to win elections in general?
    It's particularly poor at determining the "best" in subjective or artistic fields. I think most people agree that it's rarely if ever the very best songs in the world that top the charts. And if a song you like doesn't reach the top of the charts -- does that affect how much you like that song?
    Just look at the Top 100 list for what it is: one way to slice a bunch of ratings data. It's neither total bunk nor any kind of definitive anything.

Nailed it.

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

But my question to the OP is why on Earth do you believe a bunch of strangers' opinions are more valid than your own?

Aren't those the people we are supposed to try to impress?

Quoted from pezpunk:

Do you really think it's the absolute best people on Earth who tend to win elections in general?

To be fair, the best people on Earth never run in those elections.

#181 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Even if someone only rates EM games I don't see the issue

#182 6 years ago

I think the list is serves some purpose. I'am new into the hobby, so this list gives me some hints about games to try out (does the game live up to it's high ratings?). I've played a lot of the games on the list and even if i dont agree 100% i can still see why most of the games on the list are highly regarded.
    Some people just play, some are hardcore competition players, collectors etc etc
    I guess all this ends up with a pretty decent mix of different kind of enthusiasts contributing to the ratings. And after all, it's more of a fun thing?

(Sorry for bad english)

#183 6 years ago

YouTube has sold me on buying a game I haven't played first hand 100% more often than any top 100 list.

#184 6 years ago

The problem with ratings is it is subjective based on the raters experience. So to solve that just normalize the rating of each game by the average rating that person has given.... thus if a person rates 10 games all 10, then 10 is the average rating that person gives, so in actually, it would show up as a 5 across the board, or that all those games are just meh...

I do look at ratings when a new game comes on the market locally but reading the reviews is what sways me.....

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

YouTube has sold me on buying a game I haven't played first hand 100% more often than any top 100 list.

This.

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-the-top-100-should-be-revamped/page/4?hl=dahlman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.