By Blenderhead

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 4 years ago

Hi group,

I recently bought a Taxi that the playfield had a lot of miles on it. From day 1, the shooter could never make it to the 100k jackpot. The plunger seems ok and already had strong springs installed and is centered in the shooter lane. I then noticed that due to wear at the exact spot where the ball rests on the shooter tip, this is causing the problem, because I used a debit card to ever so slightly "push the ball over", and a few times had some good plunges. I looked at all my other games that all have perfectly working, non worn, shooter lanes and work great, so I am coming to the conclusion that I may need to add some sort of wood filler/finish/etc and do a shooter lane repair. Anyone out there have success restoring a worn shooter lane and have a link or some advice? Thanks in advance.

#2 4 years ago

Looking streight down the shooter is dead center but what about up and down on the ball?

#3 4 years ago

Pictures? That sounds like more than a 'worn' shooter lane but more like a damaged lane. Put a piece of tape over the divot and see if that changes the issue.

#4 4 years ago

Cliffy sells thin metal protectors that you can use to form the edges of damaged shooter lanes

My BR had such a big dent in it that the ball wouldn't even roll down all the way to the shooter

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Anyone out there have success restoring a worn shooter lane and have a link or some advice? Thanks in advance.

Vid's Ultimate playfield restoration guide has a couple of key posts about the shooter lane: #149 and 151.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/4#post-640082

#6 4 years ago

This is interesting.. I had a similar problem with my Taxi - the ball would exit the shooter groove in a bad way and rattle going up the ramp. I had to build up an area of the groove to fix it. Not sure if it was wear or just a badly routed groove, but sounds like it might be an issue with Taxi in general?

#7 4 years ago

Update... I am at work but my brother is working on it and just reported back it is working "great" now. He said he adjusted the shooter lane switch, the plunger, and removed part of the hardtop on the sides in the lane. Just glad it's working now. Kinda surprised what he did fixed it. If it turns out not to be the case, I'll reply again, and thanks for replying everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-the-shooter-lane-has-too-much-wear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.