• Latest reply 9 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trolling-1.png
94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nightstick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I'm 99% sure someone tried to scam me this afternoon. I listed a LOTR on Craigslist and got a text from someone telling me he was searching for a friend and to email this address. I did and this woman told me she was buying it for her cousin and that she was fine with the price and condition of the machine and that I should send her my email address so she could PayPal me the money and she would have her independent courier come and pick it up. She said with her work she would not be able to come see or play it.
The way her responses seemed funny to me, almost like a mechanical response. It was not personal at all and did not seem right. I asked her to have her friend that texted me to come see it and pay the cash. She desponded that I should sign up for PayPal so she could pay me and have someone pick it up as soon as possible. Also that it's the safest way. I read about the stories on here about what could happen with a paypal transaction and asked her to have her friend come check it out to make sure everything is ok and to have him pay me the cash. And that I would not be making a paypal account. She has not responded in hours when she was responding every other time immediately. Now maybe everything was legit but I don't think so.
What do you guys think?

#5 9 years ago

Yeah that's what I thought. 3 different emails all immediately after my response was another email asking me to get a paypal account so she could send me the money asap. All I could think was who would do that, and this can't be real.

#11 9 years ago

damn vid you were right on. that is exactly how it happened. almost word for word in your paypal segment of getting scammed. I remembered that I read about this somewhere on here. I am glad I was just barely smart enough not to get screwed. thanks

#21 9 years ago

How often does this happen with pins? It seems like a lot of you guys are aware or have had this happen to you. Is this that common? It hadn't happened to me before.

#36 9 years ago

Concretehardt, that is exactly, almost word for word what they wrote during their emails. I think if it wasn't for this site and reading about other pinsiders and their advice I may have been dumb enough to fall for it. Too trusting and naïve I guess. Luckily I didn't.

#45 9 years ago

I thought the first email was not right. It was too mechanical and completely impersonal. Every response after made me more sure it was a scam. The only reason I thought it may be ok was I sold a Star Wars pin to a woman buying it for her husband for Christmas as a surprise.( I thought that was super awesome for sure ). Anyways she came over with her son in law to probably, first to make sure I wasn't some weirdo and to make sure everything seemed legit. Though they both didn't know anything about pinball machines. Cash is the only for sure way to go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nightstick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-someone-tried-to-scam-me?tu=Nightstick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.