(Topic ID: 110054)

I think maybe one is going to be enough...

By cheesewhisperer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jlm33
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-947.jpg
image.jpg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I was saving for a Family Guy... but now that I have the money, I can't convince myself to spend it. At least, not on a pinball machine. I mean, I hardly ever play the one I have. My TSPP just sits there as it is. I play about one game a month. Sometimes I go four months without even turning it on. I love it; I'll never sell it---but do I really need another one?

#2 9 years ago

I'd sell tspp since you don't like it beyond having a large piece of art.

#3 9 years ago

Nope.

#4 9 years ago

Nope. One is enough.

#5 9 years ago

A new machine always reinvigorates my whole collection for a while...but mostly, I am the same as you and will only get a new machine if a really good deal comes up. I have a small amount set aside for those times when a good machine at a great price pops up, but I don't save for any specific machine (and definitely not in the NIB price range).

#6 9 years ago

Any game that sits I rotate out. I love that I come home dying to hit the basement and fire up games to play. If I did not feel that way I am not sure they would be down there.

#7 9 years ago

I never played DW when it was the only game I had. I was going to sell it and just not have any pinball machines, but then I bought a couple of projects, and then an ES and on and on. I think having one game limits you so much that you tire of it quickly. You'll probably play TSPP a ton more if you had two more games with it honestly...

#8 9 years ago

I go through these phases where I go crazy on one of my hobbies then it just goes dormant for a while. Buying a new machine helps appreciate the other ones. It is your call though...if you spend it on something you enjoy better then do that.

#9 9 years ago

One is never enough! My suggestion is get another game but get something totally different in theme variety is the spice of pinball

#10 9 years ago

I think a FG / TSPP would be a great two pin lineup. Get it man. Getting FG may excite you to play TSPP more.

#11 9 years ago

And if you don't want to blow a huge wad of cash, just buy a cheaper second machine. Many amazing titles in the $1500 range. Could be a good test to see if having more than one helps you play the first more and gets you more into pinball. If not, you could sell both. If so, add FG, or sell one and add FG, or whatever works for you.

#12 9 years ago

I think you need to get a World Cup soccer because if you're only going to have one game you should have a game where you are competing against the machine by defeating teams.

#13 9 years ago

If you don't want any more, don't get any more.
It's all up to you, man.
Freedom!

#14 9 years ago

I used to have 12 lined up in the gameroom. I am down to 5 working and 2 EM projects to screw around with this winter. I found it is getting what you like and not the quantity, sell the one you have and get one you will enjoy playing.....................kind of like wives

#15 9 years ago

TSPP comes up often enough that you could always reacquire down the road if you miss it. If you're going months without turning it on, doesn't sound like you need/want to increase your pin collection at this time. Always nice to have the $ saved up in case you need to act quickly on purchasing a pin!

#16 9 years ago

Nope.

Pinball == Lays Potato Chips.

#17 9 years ago

I had one for years and years without wanting another. I bought my second a two years ago. It really blew up from there.... I agree with the notion that having multiple games can lead you to play each one more.

#18 9 years ago

not sure how to help, i cant really relate- i would say buy a cool old ss game- only out a few hundred and not a few thou. then see where your at.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

I was saving for a Family Guy... but now that I have the money, I can't convince myself to spend it. At least, not on a pinball machine. I mean, I hardly ever play the one I have. My TSPP just sits there as it is. I play about one game a month. Sometimes I go four months without even turning it on. I love it; I'll never sell it---but do I really need another one?

Why are you here?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I had one for years and years without wanting another. I bought my second a two years ago. It really blew up from there.... I agree with the notion that having multiple games can lead you to play each one more.

lol- ya i would say it went critical mass

#21 9 years ago

do I really need another one?

You may be the first person in pinside history to utter those words.

#22 9 years ago

If no play look for a trade. Sounds like you're a one pin guy. Nothing wrong with that. Just keep it fresh.

#23 9 years ago

I think the question is how much did you play TSPP when you got it? If it was just "meh" then you are good with one. But if it was more fun than a fish tank full of cats, get another and have that kind of fun again. Then sell TSPP and get a different one. A single game will always get stale. Variety is the part that keeps them fresh.

#24 9 years ago

I have to wonder how you can say that you "love" TSPP if you hardly ever play it.
Dude, seriously. Give your head a shake.
Sell the pin you're no longer playing and get something new.
If you have enough for 2 older titles, you likely have enough for a NIB like Metallica or ACDC -pins that will likely keep your attention.

The stupid thing about this hobby is the "need" to keep these things when you're no longer playing them.
What's the point?

#25 9 years ago

Some people go through phases for a lot of different reasons. You'll know when it's time to sell or buy another pin.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Chris_james0:

Some people go through phases for a lot of different reasons. You'll know when it's time to sell or buy another pin.

Or if you're indecisive you can start a thread on pinside

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

The stupid thing about this hobby is the "need" to keep these things when you're no longer playing them.
What's the point?

Its taken me years to realize this. I have 8 games and 5 rarely get played. I am finally realizing that no matter how much I like the art or theme some games are not keepers and just don't get played. If its sitting, find something fresh to play and you will think totally differently.

#28 9 years ago

Find a friend to trade with. 3 to 6 months. It will add some variety to the mix and perhaps you will find, like I did, that you miss your game. That was the case with my bobby orr power play pinball. I got her back. I built a shrine. I don't think I'll ever let it go

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours forever. If it doesn't, it never was.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-947.jpgimage-947.jpg
#29 9 years ago

If you are going to have only one TSPP is the one to own consider more relaxing shallow rule set game for your second game funhouse and cyclone or even phoenix and paragon

#30 9 years ago

You need to "add to" or frequently sell/trade your one pin to keep it interesting.Otherwise its really not a hobby.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

If you are going to have only one TSPP is the one to own

If he doesn't play it, it doesn't matter.

Time to get a fresh game.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

If he doesn't play it, it doesn't matter.
Time to get a fresh game.

Getting a other game may not make pinball fresh and if TSPP is not his cup of tea I say go old school.

#33 9 years ago

Can still appreciate fine art without owning a fancy painting

And let's be honest here, in game terms pinball isn't exactly best bang for buck. (Of course some get more enjoyment out of it than other things!) so I don't blame cheesewhisperer for that.

#34 9 years ago

I think the OP said 1, not 120!

#35 9 years ago

Family guy=funny. Simpsons=not funny. That's a good enough reason to freshen things up

#36 9 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks the OP has an ulterior motive here?

I really think someone WANTS to be talked into a second pin....

#37 9 years ago
#38 9 years ago

I don't play My GNR but I wouldn't sell it

#39 9 years ago

Try a well maintained, top title, wedgehead (Gottlieb) from the 70's. You may like pinball more than you think.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

I don't play My GNR but I wouldn't sell it

I personally don't get that but too each their own. But you also have enough pins where it's not a big deal to have one sit for while.

#41 9 years ago

When you own just one pin it is a novelty: something fun and out of the ordinary in your family room (or basement or den or living room) that will impress visitors just because most people don't have one.

It becomes a hobby when you own two or more pins and you think often about adding (or trading for) others. Owning a large number of pins will only impress other pin hobbyists. Most people (especially your parents and relatives) will feel you are foolish to have spent so much money on games.

You currently own one very nice game. It sounds to me like you should relax and enjoy being in the first group above and quit thinking about buying another pin.

#42 9 years ago

False. One is never enough, if it was, you would not be on pinside. There would be just the one machine and it would be used for stacking laundry.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

There would be just the one machine and it would be used for stacking laundry.

So you're telling him he has to move his shirts and socks off his game now?

#44 9 years ago

Thank you for the responses.
I will continue to play and enjoy TSPP (usually when company comes over---which is not very often).
Maybe someday (5 yrs?) I'll be able to pick up a FGY dirt cheap and have it professionally refreshed---lemon pledge---the works!)

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

It becomes a hobby when you own two or more pins and you think often about adding (or trading for) others. Owning a large number of pins will only impress other pin hobbyists. Most people (especially your parents and relatives) will feel you are foolish to have spent so much money on games

No, "sometimes" owning a large number of pins impresses someone that doesn't have any but wishes they did. And +1 on parents and relatives thinking you are foolish spending money on coin-op. Even when you explain to them that you've never lost money selling them (sometimes profit), they still think it's a stupid thing to invest in.
"Why aren't you putting your money into 401k?"
"Because I can play my investment and get it back.. How much did your 401k go down a few years back, oh right half. My pins didn't go down in value by half thank you very much"

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Owning a large number of pins will only impress other pin hobbyists. Most people (especially your parents and relatives) will feel you are foolish to have spent so much money on games.

I enjoy the jaw drops when a civilian walks into my arcade.

#47 9 years ago

Clearly this hobby is not for you. You're trying to force this, find something else that interests you more.

One machine and one game a month is less than what most of us force our wives to play.

#48 9 years ago

Thank you for the responses.
I will continue to play and enjoy TSPP (usually when company comes over---which is not very often).
Maybe someday (5 yrs?) I'll be able to pick up a FGY dirt cheap and have it professionally refreshed---lemon pledge---the works!)

I don't understand why you wouldn't just sell your Simpsons and buy a Family Guy.

Or, as others have said, maybe pinball just isn't your jam. Even if I there was a game I absolutely hated in my basement, I would play it a lot more than once a month.

#49 9 years ago

I will tell you when I had 1 machine we played a few games, then went on to play something else (ffooseball, arcade game, etc). When I added a second and a 3rd then we played nothing but pinball all night. It because you grow tired of the same thing over and over, but after an hour of playing something else it's easy to go back to the first game.

I will also add there are times I just don't feel like a game of tspp, but totally feel like a round of Spider-Man. My 2 cents having a minimum of 2 games (3 is even better) will really make pinball much more fun. Plus when you have friends over, you will find a lot more playing goes on.

#50 9 years ago

With winter coming, don't sell it. Soon, you'll wish you had kept it.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-maybe-one-is-going-to-be-enough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.