Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by podolj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot 2020-12-16 191815 (resized).jpg
    131507711_444740683190619_6491812493382405431_n (resized).png
    Auraria+Red+Flag+Installation+2018.jpeg (resized).jpg
    BK2K_post it (resized).png
    scam (resized).png
    SamTucker (resized).png
    BK2000_Tucker (resized).png
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Does anyone know a Sam Tucker from Chicago (see pic)? I struck a deal with him last Thursday on FB Marketplace for a Black Knight 2000 and voluntarily gave him a $100 deposit. The plan was I would drive up to pick it up this coming weekend, but he said he had to go out of town all of a sudden and would ship it instead on his dime (1st red flag). He then sent me the tracking for a transport company called Delta Movers Worldwide (DMW) after telling me originally he was going to ship via a company called Express Logistics (2nd red flag), but he also sent me a photo of the BK2000 with a post it note with my name and date on it so he obviously has the machine (see pic). DMW has a web site and tracking and on the surface looks normal, except the only google hit for that company is it's web page, and when you google the company address a residence in VA comes up, and when hitting the profile of the employees the description is in Latin of all things (3rd, 4th and 5th red flag). Once it shipped Sam asked me to pay the balance but I refused because of the flags (and there is more red flags than what I mentioned btw) so he said he would be willing to take half now that it shipped and the other half when it arrives, to which I again held my ground and refused. The shipment was supposed to arrive yesterday, it didn't. I then messaged him and he said he had the delivery held off and will call me today...

So, my conclusion is I am pretty sure I am getting scammed and lost my $100, but fortunately not more. And Sam Tucker (if that's his real name) is either a dirtbag or the nicest guy that is getting slammed by me. I already told him if he is legit I would throw in an extra $50 for the trouble I am giving him.

I am new to this whole pinball thing so I am also ignorant as to how these potential scams work. I can't understand why someone would go thru all the trouble to create a fake shipping web site, generate fake shipping docs, etc for a couple grand in what seems like a limited market. It seems like there are a lot easier ways with a lot bigger population focus to scam people out of their cash. Anyway, lesson learned, wont agree to shipping going forward and will only do personal pickup.

BK2000_Tucker (resized).pngBK2000_Tucker (resized).pngSamTucker (resized).pngSamTucker (resized).png
    #2 3 years ago

Read your post...you already know the answers to your questions.
    -Mike

#3 3 years ago

100% a scam and he never had the machine...

Here is proof.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/52839

This image is lifted from a 2017 Pinside for sale ad. Do not give any money in any way. You are out $100. Sorry.

scam (resized).pngscam (resized).png
    #4 3 years ago

Well, his profile page definitely seems to "new" and lacking to be legitimate in today's day and age. Photos dont seem to match up and the oldest is from july.

Zero friends too which is weird, and the only person that liked his profile pic was himself lol.

I'd say where it says fishing as an interest on his profile is true....fishing for your money.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

100% a scam and he never had the machine...
    Here is proof.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/52839
    This image is lifted from a 2017 Pinside for sale ad. Do not give any money in any way. You are out $100. Sorry.[quoted image]

Wow, how did he put that post it note on the bottom right corner with my name and date on the image? It looks legit, but I guess is photoshopped?

BK2K_post it (resized).pngBK2K_post it (resized).png
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from ClaytonsCorner:

Wow, how did he put that post it note on the bottom right corner with my name and date on the image? It looks legit, but I guess is photoshopped?

Yep, photoshopped. They are getting better and better.

#7 3 years ago

Looks right it... I'm posting this up in the "don't get scammed thread" now. Read this.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attention-don-t-get-scammed

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Looks right it... I'm posting this up in the "don't get scammed thread" now. Read this.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attention-don-t-get-scammed

I'll read that whole tread, I'm sure that'll help me in the future, thanks!

#9 3 years ago

The domain for the delta movers site was created in may 2020.

https://whois.domaintools.com/deltamoversworldwide.com

The website text is kind of broken and unfinished too.

It looks like a scam site to me.

I can't understand why someone would go thru all the trouble to create a fake shipping web site, generate fake shipping docs, etc for a couple grand in what seems like a limited market.

Actually, if you know what you're doing, it's pretty easy to do all that. A few hours of work and $20. Even if just one person gets scammed, it's a pretty good return, which is why scammers do it.

#10 3 years ago

How did you send the $100? It might be possible to reverse it.

#11 3 years ago

You did well ClaytonsCorner you listened to your gut and saved yourself a lot of heartache and cash.

#12 3 years ago

that sucks, sorry about the $100

#13 3 years ago

U got scammed must be same guy who tried same thing with me and a taxi at least it was only hundred bucks

#14 3 years ago

I would actually hold Facebook responsible call them and tell them u got scammed by one of their “legit” users and want ur money back . That weird ceo guy can afford To pay u back

#15 3 years ago

That sucks but just be glad it was only $100. It could have been way worse. I’d take it as a lesson learned and move on. I’m sorry you had that experience.

#16 3 years ago

$100 is dirt cheap for a life lesson.

The best move now is not obsess over it and block all contact with this person.

Buy your first machine locally. Every legit ad on Facebook and Craigslist has dozens of inquiries within an hour of its posting so nobody is going to hassle with shipping when they can sell local.

#17 3 years ago

Scam Tucker.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

How did you send the $100? It might be possible to reverse it.

Venmo so I think I’m out. It sucks but at least it wasn’t more. Crazy thing is I offered to put down the deposit early in the convo with the scammer because I wanted him to feel comfortable with holding it for me for over a week. Can’t cry over spilled milk so I’ll take the lesson and consider it a donation to someone that may need it. At least I can now check off “get scammed on the internet” on my bucket list

#19 3 years ago

Suck. I’m
    Sorry that happened.

Thank your stars you lost nothing more.

#20 3 years ago

On the positive side you have saved the rest of us from the Evil Sam Tucker.
    Now we all know he is a crook.

#21 3 years ago

Does anyone know a Sam Tucker from Chicago (see pic)? I struck a deal with him last Thursday on FB Marketplace for a Black Knight 2000 and voluntarily gave him a $100 deposit. The plan was I would drive up to pick it up this coming weekend, but he said he had to go out of town all of a sudden and would ship it instead on his dime (1st red flag). He then sent me the tracking for a transport company called Delta Movers Worldwide (DMW) after telling me originally he was going to ship via a company called Express Logistics (2nd red flag), but he also sent me a photo of the BK2000 with a post it note with my name and date on it so he obviously has the machine (see pic). DMW has a web site and tracking and on the surface looks normal, except the only google hit for that company is it's web page, and when you google the company address a residence in VA comes up, and when hitting the profile of the employees the description is in Latin of all things (3rd, 4th and 5th red flag). Once it shipped Sam asked me to pay the balance but I refused because of the flags (and there is more red flags than what I mentioned btw) so he said he would be willing to take half now that it shipped and the other half when it arrives, to which I again held my ground and refused. The shipment was supposed to arrive yesterday, it didn't. I then messaged him and he said he had the delivery held off and will call me today...
    So, my conclusion is I am pretty sure I am getting scammed and lost my $100, but fortunately not more. And Sam Tucker (if that's his real name) is either a dirtbag or the nicest guy that is getting slammed by me. I already told him if he is legit I would throw in an extra $50 for the trouble I am giving him.
    I am new to this whole pinball thing so I am also ignorant as to how these potential scams work. I can't understand why someone would go thru all the trouble to create a fake shipping web site, generate fake shipping docs, etc for a couple grand in what seems like a limited market. It seems like there are a lot easier ways with a lot bigger population focus to scam people out of their cash. Anyway, lesson learned, wont agree to shipping going forward and will only do personal pickup.[quoted image][quoted image]

First lesson learned, cash on the glass only for a buy.

Don't cut corners, buy from a reputable dealer in your area and pay retail price if needed for the first couple of pins, until you start to meet more people in the hobby that you can trust. Be glad you only lost $100, many in this hobby (myself included) have lost way more on scammers of some sort.

#22 3 years ago

Most life lessons will cost you far more than $100 so think of it like you did well on this (it’s crap but that’s life sometimes). Tip: now that you’ve learned the lesson just move on quickly, very quickly - because life is short. Don’t spend countless hours researching, profiling, trying to get your money back (small chance). Some people spend months/years fighting a parking ticket and others just pay the fine immediately, learn to slow down by that camera and have a great day.

Every hour could be spent making more money or just having fun and in either case a better use of time

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Some people spend months/years fighting a parking ticket and others just pay the fine immediately, learn to slow down by that camera and have a great day.

Things must work differently in Canada. Here in the US, if you drive past a camera too fast they don't give you a parking ticket.

#24 3 years ago

Before, now, and in the future- cash on the glass

#25 3 years ago

Another scammer wins thanks to internet pay sourcing. Venmo, Paypal. Wtf.

$100? Small change but dammit it’s the Principal.

#26 3 years ago

$100 Sucks, but be glad it's only $100 and not half or even more....Could have been Worse.

Years ago I sent money like an idiot to a guy for a Nascar pool table light with one of those cards you get from walmart, then give seller the numbers on it....Never got Light, Scumbag kept saying delayed shipping as he attached Flourescent light bulbs on outside of box.

Once I heard that I knew I was scammed....$235 Mistake.

Sorry for your loss - These people should be put in Jail!!!!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

$100 Sucks, but be glad it's only $100 and not half or even more....Could have been Worse.
    Years ago I sent money like an idiot to a guy for a Nascar pool table light with one of those cards you get from walmart, then give seller the numbers on it....Never got Light, Scumbag kept saying delayed shipping as he attached Flourescent light bulbs on outside of box.
    Once I heard that I knew I was scammed....$235 Mistake.
    Sorry for your loss - These people should be put in Jail!!!!

Fucking scum. Just scum. Drug addled, dumbass, non motivated pieces of human garbage. No charm in stealing from others, regardless of the movies. Gawd I just wanna punch someone!

#28 3 years ago

Sam tucker sounds pretty close to scammed fucker. Sorry about the 100.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

First lesson learned, cash on the glass only for a buy.
    Don't cut corners, buy from a reputable dealer in your area and pay retail price if needed for the first couple of pins, until you start to meet more people in the hobby that you can trust. Be glad you only lost $100, many in this hobby (myself included) have lost way more on scammers of some sort.

I don't know if cash on the glass is necessary. You also need to be wary of showing up to meet a stranger somewhere with thousands of dollars in cash.

This hobby is small enough that you should be able to network with local people in your area. I bought a machine recently but my bank has a firm $5/day withdrawal limit (per person not per account).

However, the seller and I had some mutual people in the hobby that we had both dealt with. He accepted $5k cash and the rest via paypal. We were both confident that our local reputation in the hobby was worth more than potentially screwing someone over for a couple thousand bucks.

Unfortunately there are some truly garbage people in this world. Sorry for you losing out on both the money and the machine.

Very few people are selling machines for the first time and there are plenty of fb groups that can help vet sellers and buyers.

#30 3 years ago

Just to follow up, I took the advice of the Attention Don't Get Scammed post by Robin and reported Sam Tucker to the FBI via ic3.gov (which felt good), reported him to FB, and blasted all the pinball FB groups I'm on with his name and image being a scammer. Finally for everyone here, another red flag I had was his request to have me send the $100 deposit to D'Angelo Martinez at his venmo account @DIoMoneyyy so be on the look out for D'Angelo as well. Finally, his email address is [email protected] and I assume the dingo part is referring to D'Angelo so that may just be his real name. So, again, lesson learned for me, I'm moving on, I just wanted to follow up with all you pinsiders and let you know the rest of the story!

#31 3 years ago

Just to follow up, I took the advice of the Attention Don't Get Scammed post by Robin and reported Sam Tucker to the FBI via ic3.gov (which felt good), reported him to FB, and blasted all the pinball FB groups I'm on with his name and image being a scammer. Finally for everyone here, another red flag I had was his request to have me send the $100 deposit to D'Angelo Martinez at his venmo account @DIoMoneyyy so be on the look out for D'Angelo as well. Finally, his email address is [email protected] and I assume the dingo part is referring to D'Angelo so that may just be his real name. So, again, lesson learned for me, I'm moving on, I just wanted to follow up with all you pinsiders and let you know the rest of the story!

Wait a minute....you were dealing with a Sam Tucker but you were OK with sending money to a D'Angelo Martinez? That is a massive red flag.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Wait a minute....you were dealing with a Sam Tucker but you were OK with sending money to a D'Angelo Martinez? That is a massive red flag.

Wasn't OK with it, but I did it, I was blinded by wanting to get a BK2000, what can I say? I justified it in my mind - maybe he owed D'Angelo money, maybe D'Angelo is his bud, stupid, yes...but in my defense, that was one of the red flags that kept me from giving him another cent.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Yep, photoshopped. They are getting better and better.

Easy way to combat this is to demand a video of him taking a blank note, writing your name, showing an internet connected clock or device to confirm date and time, and sticking it on the machine. Start to finish as a single video with metadata in the file proving it was not edited and dumped directly from the phone.

#34 3 years ago

Don't use Venmo at all. I've only used paypal. Looking up Venmo's security policies I see on their website:

"Keep yourself safe
    Venmo is designed for payments between friends and people who trust each other. Avoid payments to people you don't know, especially if it involves a sale for goods and services (like event tickets and Craigslist items). These payments are potentially high risk, and you could lose your money without getting what you paid for. Venmo does not offer buyer or seller protection. Business usage of Venmo requires an application and explicit authorization. For more information, see our User Agreement."

They offer zero protection. Looks like a bad version of F&F from Paypal.

I would have refused or suggested a different service. Thankfully, it was only $100, but still, not fun to have to deal with. Like others have said, get started with a machine locally first. Cash on the glass.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Easy way to combat this is to demand a video of him taking a blank note, writing your name, showing an internet connected clock or device to confirm date and time, and sticking it on the machine. Start to finish as a single video with metadata in the file proving it was not edited and dumped directly from the phone.

Honestly, I don't think most sellers would jump through those hoops unless they were having a hard time selling a game.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, I don't think most sellers would jump through those hoops unless they were having a hard time selling a game.

Right. At some point you just have to ask yourself if it's worth the trouble/risk buying a game many states away from a complete stranger on Facebook. IF you get to the point where you are asking for multicamera inspections of "I'm real!" notes, it might be time to move on and let a local buyer have it.

#37 3 years ago

$100 is the cheapest education you'll ever get. Lesson learned

#38 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's the same guy I was talking to in Chicago that had an ad on Mr Pinball for a Road Show for $3500, he was going by Jason Hurrbet and he was going to check with Fasternal or a "Logistics" company and shipping would probably be around $200(merry Christmas), I said i thought Fasternal wasn't shipping pins during the pandemic and he said, "Oh ya, that's right" the picts he sent had flasher plastic covers and misc parts missing yet on some of the pictures those parts were there, I asked him about the missing parts and he said "no big deal" he had the ramps(they were not ramps that were missing), the next day he sent me a picture with a large post-it note stuck on the bottom right of the glass with my name and address on it and said shipping was arranged and the "Logistics" company was picking it up that day, WTF, I made no agreement for shipping and who was paying and how much it was, etc, etc. I told him I wasn't interested and he kept coming back with that he would lower the price. I've bought machines on Mr Pinball but unless they are on Pinside I'll never send a deposit to anyone on Mr Pinball, me picking it up is the only option.

#39 3 years ago

Someone posted this same guy in a FB group. Same story, but for 200. Like others have said, call the person via FaceTime and let them show you the machine. If no FaceTime (Android) ask for odd photos that are not obtainable easily on the net ( lock down bar removed showing the locking mechanism).

#40 3 years ago

Thats a ton of red flags

Auraria+Red+Flag+Installation+2018.jpeg (resized).jpgAuraria+Red+Flag+Installation+2018.jpeg (resized).jpg
    #41 3 years ago

Cash on the glass. Sorry that he nicked you.

#42 3 years ago

I personally would never buy a pinball machine without seeing it in person. No way.

#43 3 years ago

that $100 just saved you thousands! I’ve bought pins years ago sight on seen but wouldn’t do it now unless the seller was a well known Pinsider that others have bought from. You just got lucky.

#44 3 years ago

i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller. i will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller...

#45 3 years ago

Repeat after bigehrl

I will never send money for a high value item unless i see it in person or know the seller.

-Mike

2 months later
    #46 3 years ago

Does this look familiar?

131507711_444740683190619_6491812493382405431_n (resized).png131507711_444740683190619_6491812493382405431_n (resized).png
    #47 3 years ago

Pinball spelled wrong, and the date written perhaps by a French speaker...

#48 3 years ago

Posted here and one other pinball group.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 191815 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2020-12-16 191815 (resized).jpg
    #49 3 years ago
    Quoted from BozoTheClown:

Does this look familiar?
    [quoted image]

Scam... post it note is photoshopped.... hard edge all the way around the post it note... light source on the note is different than the apron.... obviously a different language, as mentioned before (Calendar formatting)...

Ask him to pickup right now and watch how you get ghosted or hear some excuse as to why you can't pick up.

#50 3 years ago

I flagged both posts with the FB group admins (unfortunately scamming isn't an option), plus I flagged his personal account as fake already. He legit sounded real though. Wanted to Venmo and was going to send me a bill. Waited about 20 minutes and then told me he couldn't get it to work. Then moved to Zelle. Eventually asked if I could just Venmo his wife [email protected] lol

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-may-be-getting-scammed-help?hl=claytonscorner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.