3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by merccat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi all! I’ve never actually run into a bad transformer before so I’m not yet sure what to think or if there is anything else I should be checking before calling it.

I have a game where I initially noticed some unusual voltages at the coils. In digging into it I found that at some point in the past the 5v died and one of those cheater regulators you plug in inline was put on instead of fixing the issue.

As I started measuring input voltages to the power diver board some were close to the manual, some were double the voltage and some were half.

So measuring unloaded I have the following voltages coming off the transformer:

I measured in the pin order listed here:
    http://iobium.com/wpc_transformers.htm

While he didn’t specify measure this part number transformer I wouldn’t think it would be that far off.

Am I seeing this right as a bad transformer and if so, anyone have an idea of where to look for a replacement?

Edit: I haven’t checked yet but my next place to look is at the power box and the power select jumper plug... would a disconnected/broken wire there cause voltages like these potentially?

#2 3 years ago

Transformers dont very often fail. I dont know how you measured the voltages, but since the secondary windings do not have a common ground point, just measuring the voltage at one point against ground will give false results.

Usually, if a transformer fails, either the primary winding shorts partially, making the transformer run very hot and all secondary voltages too high. Or one of the secondaries short, resulting a loss of that voltage.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Transformers dont very often fail. I dont know how you measured the voltages, but since the secondary windings do not have a common ground point, just measuring the voltage at one point against ground will give false results.
    Usually, if a transformer fails, either the primary winding shorts partially, making the transformer run very hot and all secondary voltages too high. Or one of the secondaries short, resulting a loss of that voltage.

Ah, yeah I was measuring from a common ground. That makes sense then thanks! Yeah transformers almost never fail (haven’t encountered one in 25 years) so I have never even bother testing one before. Figured someone here would know better than me, thanks!

#4 3 years ago

The only time I’ve ever seen a transformer go bad was when the output leads were shorted causing the windings to short out. After that it would blow the main fuse.

#5 3 years ago

Ok, properly measured this time around. There is one winding that still seems off.

Coming into the power board J102 is where I’m seeing the bad voltage (haven’t measured all yet but this is the area I am having issues in (coils/lamps on the output J107)

Anyway, the white-red winding input in J102 measures 16vac spot on. However, the black-yellow winding is also supposed to be 16v but I am measuring 53vac there which is (I believe) pushing the DC output on 107 way past the 50vdc to over 110vdc.

#6 3 years ago

So... considering that I am not getting the proper voltage from one winding (over 50v instead of 16) and two references saying it should be around 16 (manual and iobium), would it be safe to share the good 16vac to both inputs of J102 in parallel or would I be risking overloading that winding? One supplies rectifier for flashlamps while the the other supplies rectifier for low power and general purpose solonoid’s.

#7 3 years ago

Ok as long as I’m ranting to myself here... i found on Pinwiki the power summary schematic which actually shows exactly what I am measuring for inputs, yay! So hopefully that means the manual is wrong which would be great because now its back to being a board issue which I can handle yay.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-have-a-bad-wpc-94-transformer?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.