(Topic ID: 134021)

I think I got scammed, what do you think?

By dkeruza

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_shot_2013-10-09_at_8.18.49_AM.png
    Image2.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    20150725_125602.jpg
    20150725_125458.jpg
    20150725_125218.jpg
    20150725_125359.jpg
    20150725_125200.jpg
    20150725_125047.jpg
    20150725_125105.jpg
    20150725_125122.jpg
    LOW-BACK-ARCH1.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

Hi,
    I just want to make sure I did got scammed
    I purchased a TZ playfield that was offered here, and when I received it, I believe the seller didn't describe the playfield propperly.
    It has damage that was shown in pictures he sent me which I was OK with it, but now that I have it, I noticed a lot of planking.
    I asked him if there was more damage than what was shown on the pics and he said no.
    It will cost more to fix it that what is worth.
    What should I do? I been emailing him since yesterday and no answer.
    This is the link to the ad. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-playfield

#2 8 years ago

I think we would need to see the pics you were sent - the one in the ad is so low-rez that you can't make anything out.

#3 8 years ago

With private sells, it's really on the buyer to ask for as many pictures and as much information as it takes to be comfortable with the purchase. If you buy it, you bought it. You can ask for a refund swap or discount, but the seller is not compelled to accommodate.

IMO

#4 8 years ago

Just curious, I've heard the term planking but what exactly is it?

#5 8 years ago

Splitting of the upper most layer of the veneer.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

With private sells, it's really on the buyer to ask for as many pictures and as much information as it takes to be comfortable with the purchase. If you buy it, you bought it. You can ask for a refund swap or discount, but the seller is not compelled to accommodate.

I agree as a buyer you need to ask lots of specific questions and watch out for vague language (and ideally get lots of good pics). But the buyer should also be able to trust that the words used to describe the item aren't objectively incorrect. If the seller makes vague, subjective statements like "great condition" and the buyer disagrees once they see the item in person, that's not a strong case for a refund. On the other hand if the seller makes specific representations like "no planking" or "flawless playfield other than X, Y and Z" then the buyer may have a valid reason to complain.

#7 8 years ago

$600 without both playfields? Ouch. Couple hundred more gets you a new micro set.

#8 8 years ago

I understand I should have probably ask for more pics, but I was very specific with the questions.
    I mean, maybe he does not know what planking is, but he would see that there are lines across the center of the playfield where the paint lost its color right? That would be a way to describe it.
    The pictures he sent me are from normal wear spots, and I trusted his judgement. He said, there is not really insert wear, it is really a nice used playfield.

IMAG0059.jpgIMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0061.jpgIMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0060.jpgIMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0062.jpgIMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpgIMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpgIMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpgIMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpgIMAG0066.jpg

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

$600 without both playfields? Ouch. Couple hundred more gets you a new micro set.

I got it for $500 shipped.

#10 8 years ago

"Scammed" is a pretty weighty word. The pictures you provided make it look like a reasonably nice, used playfield to my inexpert eye. The insert and scoop wear certainly looks pretty good. You also got it pretty darn quickly. I'm not seeing any crazy planking in the images you posted. Is the playfield warped? what kind of repairs cost $600 or more that need to be done to make that functional?

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

"Scammed" is a pretty weighty word. The pictures you provided make it look like a reasonably nice, used playfield to my inexpert eye. The insert and scoop wear certainly looks pretty good. You also got it pretty darn quickly. I'm not seeing any crazy planking in the images you posted. Is the playfield warped? what kind of repairs cost $600 or more that need to be done to make that functional?

Unfortunately it is how I feel. If I post something for sale, and that item has visible damage that is hard to capture in pictures or does not show up in the pictures I capture, I would tell the buyer "hey, there is also some planking in the dark area that is hard to capture with my camera" Is still ok with you?
    What is in the pictures is what I expected. I was gonna deal with fixing the wear shown. But planking is another story. I'm not an expert, but ask around and planking is not easy to fix.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Just curious, I've heard the term planking but what exactly is it?

Cracks in the artwork that run along the wood grain. They happen when a PF is exposed to moisture / humidity for a while, and the wood expands / contracts in between the grains.

For a closeup example:

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Retrophono/media/DSCF9445.jpg.html

#13 8 years ago

Don't see any planking at all. You did not get scammed.

#14 8 years ago

If you are that unhappy with it, Id ship it back on your own dime and get a full refund(minus shipping). Live and learn maybe?

#15 8 years ago

I don't see anything wrong in the photos, other than some hole wear and very minor insert wear.

It looks like there are dark lines on the edges of mylar, but that can be cleaned with naptha, a paper towel, and using your fingernail to rub the paper towel on the edge of the mylar.

Would I have paid what you did for a used TZ playfield? Probably not, since Mirco's playfields are available at shows/expos for only a bit more, and those wouldn't need any restoration.

#16 8 years ago

Scammed? Hmmmm.......
    That points towards intent and unless you have proof that the seller purposely mislead you, you may want to think about not using that description. Maybe try out "unhappy with the condition of a used PF I purchased"

Your disappointment is valid for sure as the quality was not what you expected.
    As much as I sympathize with you, caveat emptor. If you asked about potential planking or asked for more detailed pictures then you would have grounds for a valid complaint but to assume that the seller knew about the flaws and purposely mislead you, you really should have some concrete proof.

Sorry it worked out bad for you.
    Woosaa, this too shall pass. Go play some pinball and reflect on the things in your life that are really important you.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

That is why I believe I got scammed, the planking does not show up in the pics.
    I will capture pics myself and post them here.

I also feel scammed because I don't get a response from the seller. I wanted to return it and get my money back, paying for the shipping expenses. I also asked for a partial refund.

#18 8 years ago

Hmm must be light planking, usually you can see it in pics.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#19 8 years ago

Wall art? And just buy a re-pro.

#20 8 years ago

I guess I'll live with it.
    I bought it as a project to fix the visible damage as I think I'm able to do it.
    It is my fault as I should have asked for more detailed pics, but I feel "unhappy" cuz planking was not mentioned and the seller is not answering my emails, when he was so quick answering when I showed interest in the item.

#21 8 years ago

Wall art? And just buy a re-pro.

Where do I get a repro? Could not find any online.

#22 8 years ago

If you are going to all the trouble to swap play fields, it would be well worth it to get it corrected and cleared by one of the great guys on here like Kruzman, Kruger, or HEP. They will make it better than new and it will outlast you.

#23 8 years ago

I'd be disappointed if an experienced hobbyist failed to point out planking to me. For the effort involved in swapping a playfield, you want to do it right the first time and you want maximum results for the effort. For another $350 to $400, I'd much rather go with a new playfield even if I had to wait a bit for it.

#24 8 years ago

Have you contacted the seller asking for a small refund due to the misrepresentation or misinformation?

#25 8 years ago

Looks good to me.

You probably should have just bought a brand new or restored playfield. Anybody who would call that a scam probably wouldn't be happy with any used playfield.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

Have you contacted the seller asking for a small refund due to the misrepresentation or misinformation?

Quoted from dkeruza:

I also feel scammed because I don't get a response from the seller. I wanted to return it and get my money back, paying for the shipping expenses. I also asked for a partial refund.

#27 8 years ago

I see some planking in the slot machine and some insert wear in the lock insert.

Not the worst, but it would have been human if the seller called attention to the flaws.

It's all fixable.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I see some planking in the slot machine

I thought that looked like a patch of mylar, rather than planking, since there were other patches of mylar scattered about. But, hard to tell since the photo isn't fully in focus.

#29 8 years ago

Those are the pictures where you can't see the planking, I will post pics tomorrow where you actually can see it.

Quoted from vid1900:

I see some planking in the slot machine

That actually is the mylar as ForceFlow noted.

Anybody knows where to buy a Mirco repro?

#30 8 years ago

I dont see planking either. Stuff always looks better in pics , I find.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Stuff always looks better in pics

FACT !!

#32 8 years ago

there is some insert edging wear, but overall the playfield actually doesn't look that bad for being used. The worst of it is the stuff that's hidden when the game it put back together anyway. For $500 , I would have expected both fields to be included. Not the end of the world. You could always try your hand at touch ups. since most of it is in the black and just send it out for clearcoating. Which would bury any minor planking/graining going on. For just clearcoating, costs $300 + shipping.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

Anybody knows where to buy a Mirco repro?

They are listed on his website.

http://www.highclasspinballs.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=85&osCsid=8ea0fb640dc00f94ce27e9c6c96e7227

Sometimes US parts distributors have them.

However--the best place to get them is at a pinball show. The price is a bit lower, and there's no shipping cost.

#34 8 years ago

There's no planks, its ply board.

#36 8 years ago

Here are some pictures I captured today after cleaning it with Magic Eraser + Alcohol.

20150725_125122.jpg20150725_125122.jpg

20150725_125105.jpg20150725_125105.jpg

20150725_125047.jpg20150725_125047.jpg

20150725_125200.jpg20150725_125200.jpg

20150725_125359.jpg20150725_125359.jpg

20150725_125218.jpg20150725_125218.jpg

20150725_125458.jpg20150725_125458.jpg

20150725_125602.jpg20150725_125602.jpg

#37 8 years ago

I looked at all the pics. I don't think you were scammed. If you are as picky about the condition as your last pictures indicate you are, you should not be buying items over the internet (to restore) where condition is critical. There is a difference between planking and ball swirl marks... I really had to strain to see the "minor planking" in the pics you have last posted. Minor planking is not hard to fix. You should be ok. How many coats of clear and what type are you going to apply?

The third picture is the ONLY pic where I see some minor planking (robot's feet).

If you knew that there is some insert damage and other parts that need touched up as well, and you were ok with that, a few raised/planked areas shouldn't discourage you from just fixing them. When restoring play fields (or swapping them) you will ALWAYS run into unexpected issues. Doesn't matter if it's CPR, a NOS, or the item that you bought.

#38 8 years ago

I would be pretty bummed if I paid $500 for that.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I would be pretty bummed if I paid $500 for that.

I would too, but I never would have bought it for that price without seeing it in person.

#40 8 years ago

Guy still didnt answer so I gues I'm stuck with it.
    How much a playfield like this is worth then to re sell it?
    I really don't want to use that PF in my TZ.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

I really don't want to use that PF in my TZ.

I would never go to that much work and use that playfield. Sell it and take a little loss and get a Mirco play field while they are still available.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

Guy still didnt answer so I gues I'm stuck with it.

Maybe you shouldn't have trashed the guy on a public forum first? Just 1 day after you emailed him, too.

#44 8 years ago

If I were the seller, I would be upset that you used the word "scam." I also don't think it's fair to expect a response within 24 hours. Some people here have busy lives.

I see planking in literally one place, maybe 1/4" long, a bit of insert wear, and minor ball swirling. Would be a good restoration candidate.
    At worst, the playfield is incrementally less nice than the ad represented. When buying a used playfield, it's not reasonable to expect perfection unless the seller explicitly states it's perfect.

#45 8 years ago

I love all the people saying that the seller doesn't have to provide accurate information on an item because it's not in a picture.

Pictures are bullshit, they can be taken 100 different ways to represent even the worst of items in a good light. Nothing beats an accurate and honest description.

I didn't look at your pics, but if you asked about other damage, and there is more than just a tinge of planking, you got ripped off.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

If I were the seller, I would be upset that you used the word "scam." I also don't think it's fair to expect a response within 24 hours. Some people here have busy lives.
    I see planking in literally one place, maybe 1/4" long, a bit of insert wear, and minor ball swirling. Would be a good restoration candidate.
    At worst, the playfield is incrementally less nice than the ad represented. When buying a used playfield, it's not reasonable to expect perfection unless the seller explicitly states it's perfect.

Upset, he just made a profit of an item that is not worth.
    As I said before, when I was asking him about the pf, he answer really quick.
    When I ask him to return it or get a partial discount, no answer.
    Of course I am pissed, but at me for being so naive and trust him.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

Of course I am pissed, but at me for being so naive and trust him.

People have tried to scam me here on Pinside, too.

People suck.

You learned a lesson.

Take a deep breath, let it go.

Play some pinball.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

People have tried to scam me here on Pinside, too.
    People suck.
    You learned a lesson.
    Take a deep breath, let it go.
    Play some pinball.

I did learn.
    I took a deep breath.
    I am playing. Haha

BTW, I contacted mirco already. I am working on a deal.

Nobody told me how much this pf is worth to at least sell it and get some of my $ back.

#49 8 years ago

I'd offer $150 so I can hang it up on my wall. I'll throw In an extra 35 for shipping.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I'd offer $150 so I can hang it up on my wall. I'll throw In an extra 35 for shipping.

For 135, I'll hang it on my wall.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-got-scammed-what-do-you-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.