(Topic ID: 222739)

I think I give up... I really think I do...

By Diospinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2fjgrl (resized).jpg
    Special (resized).JPG
    Lloyd (resized).png
    1450799_10201687192594268_1352981891_n (resized).jpg
    188999_10200758519738027_845682978_n (resized).jpg
    giphy (1).gif
    image.gif
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

So... a little background on me right now. I own 4 pinball machines and up until tonight 2 worked perfectly or dang close to it, and one just needed me to fix a weak flipper issue and a drop targets issue... Which I still think I can figure out... But, right now is not a good time for me, I'm a computer tech for a school district, and we just replaced basically everything you can tech wise. New computers, new docks, new projectors... And start of year is always super busy... So I've been working 10 hour days 5 days a week and that won't stop until early to mid sept... Also I got to work this sat and sunday... Probably 10-12 hours on Sat and maybe just 5-6 on Sunday... My point is I've been busy, and will be busy and won't have a lot of time to dig deep into stuff that I know nothing about. And old school pinball parts and modern computers don't have a lot in common.
    Case in point the crap really piled on as I had a laptop issue with my newest laptop and one I really don't use too often. Took me 8 hours to figure it out and fix it... But, I was able to, and now its working actually better than what it ever did out of the box...
    While I was working on my laptop issue and installing some of the needed software on it, I thought it would be fun to fire up my Hardbody... One of only two of my machines that worked perfectly... And I played 4 games on it... All crap scores. Then on the 5th game... I put up 2 million on it, which for me is a good game. But, on the last ball when it drained. My machine knocks three times... Then kicks the ball out... Weird... but seems to be working otherwise. I plunge the ball and I try to play the ball... I believe the flippers work... Can't remember... But, I do know that the flex save for the right side is no longer working... And once the ball drained... Machine pauses a little bit... Stutters and does the three knock again...
    I power down. Boot it back up... And it takes a little bit longer to boot, and again does the three knock bit and then kicks the ball out... So I turn the machine off, and take the glass out and look at things... Fuses look fine... Don't know if I located them all. Nothing seems to have come unattached... I mess with the right flex save coil armature. It seems to be working just like the left one...
    Don't really notice anything. put the playfield down again and plug machine back in and nope... Still doing same slow boot, stutter and three knocks and kicks ball out. And flex save still not working...
    So I am putting a pin in this for now. As I'm too tired... To angry... And just too cheesed off to work on the game. I just paid basically 200 dollars for it to be fixed and serviced and it broke after like 20 hours of gameplay... Probably less...
    So... My breakshot is broken and that won't be fixed for a long, long, long time... Just taking up space in my house that doesn't have a lot of it to begin with... And I don't think I can get to this one or my other one until mid next month...
    And so that leaves me with one freaking pin that works... And I still don't know much about fixing these dang machines. I'm trying to learn, but these things are not the easiest beasts to master. I really, really, really give up.
    I kind of just want to tell someone to take them away. But, I love the hardbody theme and I know when I get my bigger house I'd like to get another one...
    But, I really really think I am done with old pins... Only buying new ones from here on out... Just such bad luck.

#2 5 years ago

FWIW, paragraphs are your friends....also brevity.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

FWIW, paragraphs are your friends....also brevity.

I'm verbose... But, you must be a jerk.

#4 5 years ago

you may want to shorten it. i'd def start by removing "a little background on me".

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I've been working 10 hour days 5 days a week and that won't stop until early to mid sept... Also I got to work this sat and sunday... Probably 10-12 hours on Sat and maybe just 5-6 on Sunday..

That sounds like most of your problem right there.

If you can eliminate whatever expenses you have that require you to work that much and can whittle it down to three eight hour days a week like myself, you will have more than enough time to fart around doing whatever you like.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That sounds like most of your problem right there.
    If you can eliminate whatever expenses you have that require you to work that much and can whittle it down to three eight hour days a week like myself, you will have more than enough time to fart around doing whatever you like.

Ummm... I also own my own business that takes in my salary for my 9-5 job... And I make what most consider middle class income from my 9-5... And as I said... This time of year... I need to work those hours... Otherwise work won't get done and students won't have the best environment to learn in.
    I take pride in my 9-5 job. It gives me my benefits and retirement and pays most of my bills. So I can pursue my other interests. This is just a weird year... Next few will be easier at the beginning... Still always crazy, but will be easier.
    So I'm not rich... But, I'm not hurting for anything. I could go out and buy an Attack From Mars Remake right now... But, I like to make sure my savings and emergency funds and all that jazz are taken care of.
    Just, pissed off about old pinballs always breaking... I really didn't think they'd break that frequently... And I also messed up and didn't realize they'd be so dang alien to repair.
    I've worked on motherboards, LCDs, laptops, desktops, speakers/amps, hardware, software,networking switches, servers, UPS, and access points... Don't see how I can't figure out ancient tech like pinballs... But, the baffle me. Think maybe a bit too mechanical for me.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Little background in the hobby; know whom some of the people are just a little bit.
    But in a way we all feel your pain to some extent; it can be frustrating.

#8 5 years ago

And apparently people on here just want to pile on... I thought I'd share a stream of conciseness bit, as I've noticed a lot of people here are friendly.
    And maybe... Just maybe somebody might share something that might brighten my day, or help improve my mood.
    But, nope...
    Just disparage me. Comment on grammar...
    Comment on my perceived lack of income.
    And other jerk things.
    I thought this was a better community.
    But, you're all being jerks.
    And while I do apologize a bit for my own disparaging remarks. As the adage is true you should say nothing if you got nothing good to say...
    So I think I will now go silent.

#9 5 years ago

Why do people get pins and have no clue on how to work on them??? And then complain about it???
    My god man, call Dr Phil

#10 5 years ago

You lost me at verbose......

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

And apparently people on here just want to pile on... I thought I'd share a stream of conciseness bit, as I've noticed a lot of people here are friendly.
    And maybe... Just maybe somebody might share something that might brighten my day, or help improve my mood.
    But, nope...
    And other jerk things.
    And while I do apologize a bit for my own disparaging remarks. As the adage is true you should say nothing if you got nothing good to say...
    So I think I will now go silent.

Lots of helpful people here

Can be a frustrating process getting games up and running if you are not well versed mole hills can seem like mountains.

Give us the Cliff Notes and someone will help you.

#12 5 years ago

Sell the old unreliable clunkers and put the $ towards a NIB pin with a warranty

#13 5 years ago

image.gifimage.gif

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Why do people get pins and have no clue on how to work on them??? And then complain about it???
    My god man, call Dr Phil

Can't learn unless I have games to learn on... And I never thought I'd have this many problems with them. I thought one issue would arise... I'd fix it... Have a few weeks or a months till next issue. Take a bit of time. Figure it out, and fix it... But, it seems the issues I've been having are just some of hte worst you can get. And spread across a multitude of machines. Not even my new Iron Maiden went long before first issue. 2 days and the ramp messed up... So yeah... Sorry, for me not thinking that having a working machine for at least a month before something would go wrong would be such an unreasonable thought.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

My god man, call Dr Phil

Nobody was born knowing how to work on a pinball machine. The OP is frustrated and wanted to vent - nothing less, nothing more.

I'm relatively new to the hobby as well, and it IS intimidating! Hell, I remember how scared I was the first time I had to figure out how to open my T2... And then was even more nervous about opening up my MET Pre because of how much I paid for it. I still haven't done anything I would consider "difficult" when it comes to fixing 'em, but I've done a little soldering now for the first time, used a multimeter for the first time, and stuff like that. I have a ton more to learn, and I'm sure I will when something else breaks, but give the guy a break - he's busy for another month or two and barely has time to play, let alone fix, but I'm sure he'll tackle the problem when his day job settles down.

#16 5 years ago

Haha 1st world problems. The only pin you have that works is your IMDN premium/LE - assuming based on your list.
    This too shall pass...
    It can always get worse - you could have cab splitting or PF ghosting. Go flip an awesome pin and count your wins.

#17 5 years ago

Cheer up! You'll get it all sorted with some rest and some time.

Take a break from it all and regroup. Get some ice cream.

#18 5 years ago

What's wrong with Breakshot bub?
    Couldn't be as embarrassing as 2 days worth of posts and questions only to realize ya put the goddamn roms in backwards DOH.
    It'll get better bruh.

#19 5 years ago

It happens bro; too much work, too much stress, frustrations seem to pile one after another, too many machines “down” at a given time.

Take a break, get through this tough stretch and once life slows down again you will be able to fix the problem and get it all figured out.

#20 5 years ago

Honestly, I would just walk away for a few months. The pins will still be there. The only gaurantee in pinball is that problems will happen.

When you are ready to tackle the problems, they will be waiting for you. If you never want to tackle them, sell them or work that side hustle to pay someone to fix them for you.

Figure out what your time is worth, and utilize it.

#21 5 years ago

Pins can be especially frustrating. We spend thousands on something that will break, often. I have three machines and it’s always something. Constantly a stream of money going out. and the number of hours spent fixing is truly mind boggling. But that just makes that moment that everything works and ya have a good game truly magical. I kno it’s tuff, I’ve been there. Staring at a several thousand dollar paperweight is no fun. Just remember, everything can be fixed. Ya just need patience, time, money and a friend or two.

#22 5 years ago

If yer working on computers for kids, you're fightin the good fight. So crack open a cold one and crank some Triumph.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Couldn't be as embarrassing as 2 days worth of posts and questions only to realize ya put the goddamn roms in backwards. *raises hand*.
    It'll get better bruh.

Shit, after owning around 30 EM machines I swapped two sets of Jones Plugs plugging the head onto a Fun Land, I’ve never made that mistake before. I spent hours troubleshooting it before I saw a post here about someone else doing it as well. The worst part was, someone actually colored the end of the connector and the receptacle red so you would know and I didn’t even notice.

#24 5 years ago

Pinballs seem intimidating but to be honest they are very simple machines to work on. If something doesn't work, you can usually trace the issue back. Focus on one problem at a time and fix it correctly. If you don't have the manuals for all your games, purchase or download them for reference.

Odds are you aren't the first person to have the issues you are experiencing. Write a clear, concise post regarding your issue(s) and people will help. Don't fill them with all the personal drama. It's a turn off and will not result in the help you seek.

Remember in some cases you are dealing with electronics that have out lived their designed use cycle. Constant maintanece and tweaking is part of the hobby and should be expected.

#25 5 years ago

Just learn how to fix your games properly, rather than getting in somebody else to fix

Hardbody is a great game to learn on, one you can diagnose and fix that, you can fix any other Bally from that era (1977-1985(?))
    start with the power supply , fix and clean all the connectors, then work your way through the rest of the game
    if you dont want to work on the boards, then buy replacements, clean the connectors and be happy

#26 5 years ago

Honestly can’t tell if it’s more “woah is me” or “hey, look at me”.

Either way I gave up about 40 lines in which was only about 30% of the original post.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

Shit, after owning around 30 EM machines I swapped two sets of Jones Plugs plugging the head onto a Fun Land, I’ve never made that mistake before. I spent hours troubleshooting it before I saw a post here about someone else doing it as well. The worst part was, someone actually colored the end of the connector and the receptacle red so you would know and I didn’t even notice.

Lol.
    BUT IT'S U24 I TELL YA!!!
    giphy (1).gifgiphy (1).gif

#28 5 years ago

Man I have been there. It sucks! One thing breaks, you fix it, and another thing breaks! This just happened to me this week! I have a bunch of stuff I want to do in my Twilight zone, and the damn flipper stops working. And another game has another issue.. I had a period where no games were working for 2-3 weeks.

I’ve had weeks where I just want to sell them all.

Anyway, don’t. Just take a break for a bit. One thing at a time - I also have a full time job -and- my own business, I play in a band 9 times a month, and I have a family to take care of. One thing at s time gets you through the day. And a lot of times it’s not the thing you want to work on, but if you steal those little slivers of time and get what you CAN done, suddenly you’re at the finish line

Also.. don’t let the Pinside bastards get ya down!

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Couldn't be as embarrassing as 2 days worth of posts and questions only to realize ya put the goddamn roms in backwards. *raises hand*.
    It'll get better bruh.

Breakshot is fried... Its the main MPU board and only one dude I found will/can do the fix. And he only has a few chips left to fix it.. .And I really am not comfortable with that solution... So I'm going to replace all the boards. Rewire the whole machine. And work with one of the guys doing the kingpin remake and run the game through a single board computer and emulate the rom basically... That's going to take a lot of time. And I don't have that right now... And even if I wanted to get it repaired. It still would take about 11 weeks or longer to go the traditional repair time...
    But, I rather do what I said above. Cos that is more my wheelhouse.
    And since everyone here is dumping on me. I figure it is better to keep things in my own wheelhouse.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

If yer working on computers for kids, you're fightin the good fight. So crack open a cold one and crank some Triumph.

Dude... I love me Rik Emmett.
    I've seen him twice live. Guy is amazing. Love Triumph. And you sir. Made my day! And yes. Its seems I forget my Rik Emmett and I didn't keep my magic in my heart. I will endeavor to do better next time.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Breakshot is fried... Its the main MPU board and only one dude I found will/can do the fix. And he only has a few chips left to fix it.. .And I really am not comfortable with that solution... So I'm going to replace all the boards. Rewire the whole machine. And work with one of the guys doing the kingpin remake and run the game through a single board computer and emulate the rom basically... That's going to take a lot of time. And I don't have that right now... And even if I wanted to get it repaired. It still would take about 11 weeks or longer to go the traditional repair time...
    But, I rather do what I said above. Cos that is more my wheelhouse.
    And since everyone here is dumping on me. I figure it is better to keep things in my own wheelhouse.

You're going to replace all the boards, re-wire the machine, then install another board to emulate the ROM vs getting a single board repaired?? I'm going to be positive here and say that's a terrible idea.

You just said you have no time to work on things so why not send the board out. 11 weeks later when things with school die down the board will almost be done.

#32 5 years ago

I agree with those that say take a step back. It can be a frustrating hobby. I see where you’re coming from with old vs. new. I sold my TZ and Cyclone due to fear of constant problems. I really like the new pins coming out too, from all the manufacturers. I say sell the ones that really bother you and make a savings account with the money for a NIB or HUO in a few months. Don’t let the haters here get to you...most here get it and will help if we can.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

You're going to replace all the boards, re-wire the machine, then install another board to emulate the ROM vs getting a single board repaired?? I'm going to be positive here and say that's a terrible idea.
    You just said you have no time to work on things so why not send the board out. 11 weeks later when things with school die down the board will almost be done.

Except its a costly repair... And that's just for what is known to be wrong...
    Could be other issues... And with my luck, the board would fry out again. And then I might not be able to get it repaired a second time.
    Way I look at it breakshot had 3 main known issues. MPU board, the capcitors on the other board behind translite, and the wiring. This takes care of all those issues. Bullet proofs the machine. And also I know if something goes wrong with it, I'll be able to fix it. I rather spend my time doing that, then be beholden to another persons repair, and then if it shorts or anything in future. I am boned...
    Nope... I'll do what I said... In the long run it makes more sense. Its a modern solution and not a 90s fix.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Writing with brevity takes far longer than writing at length. But in this case, it would have been nice had you taken the time.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

And other jerk things.

Welcome to pinside

#36 5 years ago

All this drama over a Breakshot?

#37 5 years ago

I would think with your education and abilities fixing a pinball would be a cakewalk. I am a car dealer with no computer repair/electronic repair experience. My first pin was a ratted out TZ which is probably the most complex machine you will find. Google was my source when I needed to fix it. Today the wealth of repair knowledge available on the internet makes it easy to maintain a pinball machine. I have owned about 15 machines and have never paid anyone to fix them and I work about 60+ hours per week.

If you want reliability buy some of the newer machines like Stern Monopoly, TSPP, ST, etc. Many of the mid to late 90s Williams Machines are pretty reliable as well. Older ratted out routed machines from the 70s, 80s, and 90s are usually a problem.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

At least it wasn't a raven or hardbodies...
    Then it would be critical.

#39 5 years ago

Despite not much experience, you at least work in a technology field - so in my book, you have a leg up on a lot people that buy a pin and wouldn't know what a resistor was if they were holding one. And you might enjoy beginning to understand the 'inner workings'..older pins are rather straightforward and aren't bad to work on.

I guess just hold tight until work settles down, and tackle the issues then. No need to pile more on your busy schedule. Plenty of people here willing to help when needed. Wife's go-to pin is a WildFyre and it needs a rectifier bridge or a transorb replaced...and I just don't have the time to fix right now. A few weeks ago it was crunch time at work - one week was just shy of 80 hrs., the next not far behind. Add hardscaping yard work, a leaky seal on the truck, a root canal, more travel at work...ugh. It will get fixed, along w/everything else...in time. I think my vacation this year will just be catching up on fixing WildFyre, working on a World Cup for a friend (his first pin), and continue to work on restoring a Black Hole (aka former mouse hotel). Or maybe just surfing Pinside all day

Too old to get spun up anymore.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I've worked on motherboards, LCDs, laptops, desktops, speakers/amps, hardware, software,networking switches, servers, UPS, and access points... Don't see how I can't figure out ancient tech like pinballs... But, the baffle me. Think maybe a bit too mechanical for me.

I'm also new to pinball.And after seeing all of the computer stuff you know and understand,I'm now depressed, because I have zero knowledge about pinball repair,or computer's.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Writing with brevity takes far longer than writing at length. But in this case, it would have been nice had you taken the time.

Okay Orwell... Except, I've always taken to Robert E Howard, or Ray Bradbury over good ol Georgie boy. While I love me some animal farm. I think his style was drab and I find I write how I am.
    I'm bombastic and verbose.
    Sorry, if you have problems reading... But, we're on a forum for reading... Maybe next time I'll draw you all some pictures.
    Maybe also show you all how to chew some gum while I'm at it.

#42 5 years ago

Diospinball, when I was telling my wife about the pin we got it was a good sales pitch. These machines are made for commercial use, so they are built solid. Don't worry about them breaking and the kids can play as hard as they want, no problem. Once the pin is in the house and I start to need to fix stuff I'm telling everyone to be careful. The wife says, "Isn't this made for commercial use and won't break." I feel your pain.

#43 5 years ago

This is why I sold all of my 20 plus years old machines and just bought Sterns. Yeah pinball machines break but in my experience all of my Stern machines just work. Minimal maintenance required. Now a days I just play and haven’t had to worry about shit breaking.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

I think while breakshot isn't the best machine ever. It's one of the most clever. Great design, great concept, one of the greatest ball locks ever. Beautiful playfield art, and a playfield that is not too cluttered, but has just the right amount of art and lights. Easy to read, easy rule set. But, fun rule set, and just deep enough to not get boring. At least for me. It has a cheeky sense of humor and a little bit of titillation. Fun callouts and I love that its a throwback to old school ems, but also a modern dmd machine. It takes the best of both worlds. So yes, there are better games, but I don't think there are too many games as clever as breakshot.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Okay Orwell... Except, I've always taken to Robert E Howard, or Ray Bradbury over good ol Georgie boy. While I love me some animal farm. I think his style was drab and I find I write how I am.
    I'm bombastic and verbose.
    Sorry, if you have problems reading... But, we're on a forum for reading... Maybe next time I'll draw you all some pictures.
    Maybe also show you all how to chew some gum while I'm at it.

I was honestly trying to help with the brevity comment. When I see a post like yours, I and I'm sure many others, don't feel like taking the time to read it. Carry on though, and best of luck with your games.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

This is why I sold all of my 20 plus years old machines and just bought Sterns. Yeah pinball machines break but in my experience all of my Stern machines just work. Minimal maintenance required. Now a days I just play and haven’t had to worry about shit breaking.

Not gonna say he's right, but he's kinda right.
    For the non-mechanically inclined, or lazy, newer=less problems.

#47 5 years ago

I am going to give you a couple nuggets of "straight-forward truth", which nowsdays causes college students to run to their safe-spots.

1. Either put blankets/towels over your games and get through this rocky time until your schedule opens up and you can address your games.

2. Find someone that can help you. Looking at the Pinside map of the Chicago area, you have 450 pinsiders around you, and that's just who is on the map.
    Prolly hundred of other pinball owners. Go to a barcade, ask them who services/owns the games at those locations. Chicago has a BUNCH of them. You have a huge untapped resource there.

or........

3. Sell them and get this stress out of your life.

I remember being in your shoes. I struggled with my games for a very long time. Took some hard learning lessons, some mentors to help guide me through the basics of pinball repairs and diagnosing issues with a multimeter and a soldering iron, but as time went on my confidence grew, and now I have six games that my family loves playing. You'll get there, but you have to dig yourself out of this mood. That being said...

I am going to give you some advice that was first bestowed to me regarding your rebuttals to your critics here:

Your skin needs to thicken. You're taking things very personally, and it isn't boding well for you.

No one likes a victim, and I get that "I'm a victim" vibe here.

I get it; you're frustrated and feel defeated. I really do get it. Dig deep, tell yourself you are in control of this situation - not life, not these pinball machines, and not your schedule - YOU are in control.

One last thing: be careful with such emotion-driven responses. Bryan_Kelly is very well known for some gorgeous restorations here, and with those restorations he probably has a very strong tech background on helping with getting games back on their feet. He could be helping you....

While this is a global forum, it is a very strong and small community. It's not who you are, but who you know (unless you're the aforementioned Kelly, kruzman or @high_end_pins, amongst a small number of names - those guys are just incredibly gifted and are at the verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry far right of the Gaussian bell-curve).

Good luck with whatever choice you make. If you stick with it, one year form now, you'll look back and be proud of yourself and the knowledge you will have gained by then.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

There are over 75 new threads created per day and 1500-3000 posts made per day. Most people just quickly skim through threads and don't always have the time, patience, or attention span to go through a wall of text. Keeping things brief and to the point, especially when it comes to trying to troubleshoot something, increases the chances of people reading it.

Quoted from Diospinball:

So I'm going to replace all the boards. Rewire the whole machine.

That sounds like a bad plan to me.

First, that's an expensive proposition. Second, it's complicated. Third, it will make it impossible to repair the next time something goes wrong, especially if you didn't document everything very thoroughly and basically create your own manual, schematics, and theory of operation documentation.

It's an impractical approach in more ways than one.

Who did you ask about repairing the original board? Did you try Clive and coin-op cauldron? Have you tried ksarcade.com?

Additionally, check with pinballspareparts.com.au for boards or parts.

Quoted from Diospinball:

I rather spend my time doing that, then be beholden to another persons repair, and then if it shorts or anything in future.

You could always try to learn how to properly repair the original boards. I pretty much taught myself how to do board repairs, and I have no background in electronics. It just takes some time and effort.

Reinventing your own way to do something from scratch seems like a heck of a lot more work and isn't necessary. The problem just might come down to needing to replace a chip or two.

Quoted from Diospinball:

In the long run it makes more sense.

I'd have to strongly disagree with that.

What you're trying to do is take a standard sedan with a gas engine, and replace all its inner workings with a tesla motor, computer, and battery bank. Sure, maybe you could kind of sort of shoehorn it in, and it's newer technology, but it's a hack job, it doesn't really belong there, it isn't a proper repair, and nobody in the future is ever going to know how to fix a complete mess like that when something goes wrong.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I am going to give you a couple nuggets of "straight-forward truth", which nowsdays causes college students to run to their safe-spots.
    1. Either put blankets/towels over your games and get through this rocky time until your schedule opens up and you can address your games.
    2. Find someone that can help you. Looking at the Pinside map of the Chicago area, you have 450 pinsiders around you, and that's just who is on the map.
    Prolly hundred of other pinball owners. Go to a barcade, ask them who services/owns the games at those locations. Chicago has a BUNCH of them. You have a huge untapped resource there.
    or........
    3. Sell them and get this stress out of your life.
    I remember being in your shoes. I struggled with my games for a very long time. Took some hard learning lessons, some mentors to help guide me through the basics of pinball repairs and diagnosing issues with a multimeter and a soldering iron, but as time went on my confidence grew, and now I have six games that my family loves playing. You'll get there, but you have to dig yourself out of this mood. That being said...
    I am going to give you some advice that was first bestowed to me regarding your rebuttals to your critics here:
    Your skin needs to thicken. You're taking things very personally, and it isn't boding well for you.
    No one likes a victim, and I get that "I'm a victim" vibe here.
    I get it; you're frustrated and feel defeated. I really do get it. Dig deep, tell yourself you are in control of this situation - not life, not these pinball machines, and not your schedule - YOU are in control.
    One last thing: be careful with such emotion-driven responses. bryan_kelly is very well known for some gorgeous restorations here, and with those restoration he has a very strong tech background on helping with getting games back on their feet.
    While this is a global forum, it is a very strong community. It's not who you are, but who you know (unless you're the aforementioned Kelly, kruzman or high_end_pins, amongst a small number of names - those guys are just incredibly gifted and are at the verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry far right of the Gaussian bell-curve).
    Good luck with whatever choice you make. If you stick with it, one year form now, you'll look back and be proud of yourself and the knowledge you will have gained by then.

Hey what happened to that brevity thing?

#50 5 years ago

Well shit looks like Clark just one-upped ya on that brevity thing NPO.

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-give-up-i-really-think-i-do?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.