(Topic ID: 188349)

I think i blow my rottendog mpu327

By riverinapinball

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider creepykenny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 4 years ago

also having an issue with a 327-1 and the current schematics don't match & rom/code (327-4) does not work on the early series boards ... ask me how i know

board will pass the leons self test running the -4 code, but thats about it

2 weeks later
    #17 4 years ago

a follow up here, was finally able to repair this non-working 327-1 mpu, i believe the current schematics may be drawn with a couple errors related to the dips - maybe, and better yet, the latest 327-4 code does indeed work with the older boards so thats a positive

just about every i/c that has an "hct" on it was blown/bad

and was able to find the 74HCT9114 at K's arcade (yes, mine was blown and part of the problem)

so, replaced the crystal, ram, rom, and about 8 gates, all of the 6821 & mpu were OK, don't know what happened to this board but whatever it was, it wasn't good

#24 4 years ago

well, it actually almost a pleasure to work on a board that doesn't have acid damage or an interconnect

so, I got to a point where the board passed the leons self test but when in game mode the two leds just locked on, that's is where I began to suspect the program was the problem - I spoke to Jim at RD and he stated it should be fine with their -BD code.

problem turned out to be the 9114, replaced it and then got the normal short single flash from the two leds indicating the game code was running

I then discovered that the 74hct154 multiplexer was also blown - nothing on displays is a good clue of its demise, and logic probe agreed, replaced it with a 74154 and all is good

the feedback I have read concerning the HCT series indicates it is quite fragile

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider creepykenny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-blow-my-rootebdog-mpu327?tu=creepykenny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.