tron-cabinets-build-1.jpg
left ramp entrance-738.jpg
right ramp exit.jpg
left ramp entrance-141.jpg
right ramp entrance.jpg
left ramp exit.jpg
left ramp entrance.jpg
Grammar Nazi.jpg
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

I SUCK at Tron.....

I own this game, enjoy this game, am challenged by this game, and can't seem to beat it!

So I was at the Louisville Pinball Expo and played a few games and did much better. I noticed that the gameplay was much slower and the ball didn't race to the flippers as quick as they do at my house. Maybe, just maybe I have the slope incorrect on our Tron,,, especially since I suspect my floors aren't level, etc.

So my Wife just got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 and I thought 'hey' this can measure inclines, slopes, angles..... So I put it newly calibrated on the playfield glass and "Voila".. !!!! It was at 15 degrees!.... Now this explains my horrible gameplay!.,,, I surely don't suck that bad at this game... there is hope for me....

Only one thing... I usually do things right. I usually spend a lot of time making it right the first time. So how could I have screwed this up. The level on the Stern mount showed it to be perfect, but I have read that these are unreliable. My goal would have been between 6-7 degrees with closer to 6 being my goal for my amateur gameplay.

So I removed the glass and measured on the playfield as it should be measured.... and it came out to 5.9 degrees.......

So, end result is I SUCK!..... I just need to practice, study, practice some more..... and get this game down. Thus far I spend most my time hitting the ramps and getting to the recognizer for multi-ball.

Any suggestions.... or is it just that it is what it is. I wasn't born beautiful either but I have concluded that there is nothing I can do about that.... My wife married a Troll and I'm fine with it... (she is Beautiful!)

#2 10 years ago

Dude I suck at EVERY game!

#3 10 years ago

Tron is a tuff game. But I love it. Sorry I didn't read the whole post.

#4 10 years ago

I set all my machines up with too much angle but I feel if the flippers make the shots how they are supposed to its still ok.

That being said, I just picked up a tron on friday and it is relentlessly brutal. If I make my shots I have an ok ball time. If I miss, good luck. Although its not as bad as the sttng that ledt to make room for the tron.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

You should measure the incline on the playfield, not the glass.

He did...

#6 10 years ago

*voila

#7 10 years ago

Absolutely!.... this is what I was thinking when I made the original post. Perhaps I screwed up the angle upon installation, just like I did with the spelling. (Was wondering how long it would take for someone to spot. But you found it in less than 6 minutes!)

Oh, Hey!.... How did you JayHawkers get in and do so well while us Hoosier's couldn't even make it to the dance?

(and thank you for the spelling correction, my wife married a Troll but she doesn't know I'm stupid.... yet...)

#8 10 years ago

Sometime to little slope can hurt to. Get it to 7 and practice and have fun. My best tip I can give you is try to stack as much as possible. I always try to prime quorra first as that normally gets me close to everything else in the process. If you can stack quorra, light cycle and clu at the same time it makes it much easier for me to collect them. Zuse and flynn normally happen in the MB.

Overall, just have fun.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Sometime to little slope can hurt to. Get it to 7 and practice and have fun. My best tip I can give you is try to stack as much as possible. I always try to prime quara first as that normally gets me close to everything else in the process. If you can stack quarra, light cycle and clu at the same time it makes it much easier for me to collect them. Zuse and flynn normally happen in the MB.
Overall, just have fun.

Yes, I am going to concentrate on this... Quorra seems a little hard for me, but I'm going to start making that a goal. Like you suggested. Light cycle and CLU are usually much easier to get. Thanks.

#10 10 years ago

Funny you mention this…just got done playing ~10 games and got my head handed to me. Didn't even reach SOS. High score from the 10 games ~30M…most ~10M.

Even though STLE is in the house, still gravitate toward MET, TRON, and AC/DC.

So I still suck at TRON as well, but keep coming back. I'm sure if didn't wax it I'd have a bit more luck, but I like keeping my games in tip top shape and like the speed.

#11 10 years ago

I suck at every game as well. Not only that, but I don't even know how to play my TF. I have completed only 2 modes on it. I just bash and hack my way through till the ball finds the drain. LOL People are going to come over and ask me how to play my games and I won't even be able to tell them. LOL Does it get worse than that!?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Even though STLE is in the house, still gravitate toward MET, TRON, and AC/DC.

OK.... so I have to ask you... since I have Tron and ACDC in the house,,,, the STLE has entertained me a bit, but not so much the MET.... so your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

#13 10 years ago

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something"

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

I suck at every game as well. Not only that, but I don't even know how to play my TF.

While I don't own one, I did get to check one out at the Louisville Expo....... seems like a nice machine. What is your thoughts......?

#15 10 years ago

I have to admit, I suck too. Mine plays lightning fast and I don't even get to SoS very often.
I thought I was a decent player and usually near the top in a local league, but Tron kicks my ass.
love the game and light show tho and it's not leaving anytime soon.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something"

Well I appreciate this quote.... simply because my Wife suggests the same thing when I'm not performing well,... and so I suggest the same thing back to her. And then somehow I feel better, NO,, I feel GREAT! (when she takes the advice.)

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

So I removed the glass and measured on the playfield as it should be measured.... and it came out to 5.9 degrees.......

Having that much less incline than 6.5 degrees can actually make the game harder.

#18 10 years ago

Setup correctly, Tron is a brutal game. Fast, flowy, and mean. It can be made easier, but it should remain a bitch. So my question to the OP is, what are your expectations? Are you expecting getting to Portal every 10 games? I seem to be averaging a trip to Portal once every 700 games. SOS is common enough, but lighting everything solid is very difficult. So I guess I just wanted to make sure you are not expecting to actually beat the game. Something very few people can do consistany.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

OK.... so I have to ask you... since I have Tron and ACDC in the house,,,, the STLE has entertained me a bit, but not so much the MET.... so your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I think MET is an exceptionally well balanced game (one of Stern's best art packages, tight/fun shots, love the metal ramp "feel", deep/interesting rules with the new 1.5 release). Not very familiar with Metallica's music, but enjoy the hard driving rock and roll. The songs they've selected are just perfect for pinball. The newly added "Crank It Up" modes are cool and challenging…very difficult to complete, but not that difficult to start and enjoy.

With TRON, I can't reliably make the GEM shot. On Metallica, I don't feel that way about any shot. Come to think of it, the GEM shot is unlike any shot on ANY pinball I've ever owned. I know some really good players/collectors that feel GEM is simply a poorly designed shot. Poorly designed or not, I still want to play the damn thing and master that stupid shot (which I'm doubtful I'll ever do, actually

#20 10 years ago

Yep. It is fun but frustrating. GEM shot is a pain. Just keep hittin' "start".

#21 10 years ago

well till you try to finish that damn portal multiball ... had the game for more 2 years and that is still ô so close yet ô so unreachable

#22 10 years ago

Keep practicing
You will get there.

At 15 degrees you will not get there though lol

#23 10 years ago

suckatron? is that a mechanical relative of the orgasmatron? (woody allan "sleeper" if anyone remembers it).
if I remember correctly, its a very BAD IDEA to enter the machine alone unless youre into something like that.
*groan*

long ago xenon was a pretty mean wench to me.

#24 10 years ago

Hello Geremy,

Maybe Tron is a hard game, I go thru portal only 1 time after 24 month of playing it. (I think 600 plays at all)

Best and cheap hint: Try Superbands flipperrubbers, you can better aim targets with that.

Do not despair.

Greets from
Roland

#25 10 years ago

One thing I check are my ball times under the audits menu. With Tron, I started out with 40 sec ball times.
Now I think I'm up to 43...I know I suck too.

#26 10 years ago

As I own FH, I found it quite easy to hit all the hard shots (gem especially), given tron is the same layout. The first game I ever played on a friend's machine I posted the GC on it without knowing what I was really shooting for.

Much like FH, it is a drainer, and given it's insanely shallow rules for the time, it needs to be. Nothing wrong with drainers at all, but the rules have to be indicative of this aspect. Don't want a deep game that drains badly, and you don't want a shallow ruleset for a game that doesn't drain quick.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Are you expecting getting to Portal every 10 games? I seem to be averaging a trip to Portal once every 700 games. SOS is common enough, but lighting everything solid is very difficult. So I guess I just wanted to make sure you are not expecting to actually beat the game. Something very few people can do consistany.

I really don't get this. You might've been able to make a real solid point before the last code update that Portal was a lot more difficult to get to. You know, before they added disc multiball restart and the "advance SOS" mystery award. They keys are dialing in Quorra, which isn't that hard of a shot really, learning to play controlled once you DO start Quorra/Lightcycle, and getting the Lightcycle and Gem modes finished. Once you do that more consistently, you'll find that getting to Portal is a joke.

Every 10 games just about sums it up how I was playing shortly before we sold it. I had one game with Portal twice in the same game, and one night where I got to Portal 2 or 3 times, and I guarantee you it was under 20 games. I've probably played around 100-150 games on two different location games, one I have never managed to get Portal, the other I have only ever done twice. If you're having a LOT of problems, make sure things aren't out of place...specifically the "U" target...it tends to get beat up and lean into the Quorra lane, making that shot SUBSTANTIALLY more difficult than it should be.

Lightcycle multiball.... catch scoop eject on right flipper if you can live catch it. It works on most Trons. Shoot left ramp. IGNORE THE ADDED BALL THAT IS PLUNGED BY THE GAME! Shoot Quorra, then shoot the right ramp. Boom, lightcycle is done. If you miss the shots, trap the balls, stage the upper flipper if you're comfortable doing that, then make the left ramp shot again and make another attempt. If you suck at staging flippers, either practice it, or just accept that when you try to make the second ramp shot, the trapped ball will go wild, which is usually fine....if you get the SJP, who cares if you drain one.

#28 10 years ago

Glad you found your mistake in measuring the pitch. You should know it is impossible, even with front adjusters all the way in and rear adjusters all the way out, to achieve 15 degrees pitch.

So you want to get better at Tron? Quit trying for Disk MB. That should be like your 3rd goal or so. Get light cycle started. Try to trap a ball on the left. Now hit Left ramp, Quorra, then Right ramp to complete the mode. I know it is not easy, but practice this 3 way combo. Then work on Quorra. Of course, it is easier to hit the Quorra shot with the 3-bank down. Use your instant info to see what you are closer to starting(Disk, Quorra, Extra Ball, Etc) and go for that. Even in a tournament where extra balls are turned off, the extra is worth 3M so it is still worth going for.

If you get Quorra started, make sure and get your 2 add a balls off the recognizer. Then, during Quorra, if you notice there is only one light cycle insert lit, go for that to stack Light Cycle with Quorra.

Most important is End Of Line shots. And you pretty much need to start that with a shot to Quorra, so yes, Quorra is the most important shot in the game.

#29 10 years ago

welcome to the club, Tron is brutal unless you either are a Pro player, or retired and can do nothing but practice all day. I've gotten better over time but it's the one game that really keeps me coming back, that's what makes it great.

#30 10 years ago

Just had a rare great game…117 Million…nailed GEM often. The Light Cycle insert was the only one I didn't fully light…very close to Portal

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just had a rare great game…117 Million…nailed GEM often. The Light Cycle insert was the only one I didn't fully light…very close to Portal

Points don't equate to advancement for jack in Tron...

Case in point, the Portal I got to the movie theatre day before yesterday... was like 94 million? And that was AFTER a ~15 million bonus from nailing Gem like 6 times!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Points don't equate to advancement for jack in Tron...
Case in point, the Portal I got to the movie theatre day before yesterday... was like 94 million? And that was AFTER a ~15 million bonus from nailing Gem like 6 times!

Good point, but unlike you, I've been struggling with this game, so I'll take whatever I can get!

It's the first time I've had all but one insert lit, so I'll focus on that accomplishment if you'd prefer

Pretty cool that you've mastered it…I haven't played or met many folks who have!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You should know it is impossible, even with front adjusters all the way in and rear adjusters all the way out, to achieve 15 degrees pitch.

I was thinking the same thing, but then the OP did say his floors were unlevel... Time to call a contractor!

#34 10 years ago

I noticed my upper flipper was set back pretty far to the left of the PF alignment hole.

Just adjusted it toward the right by about 1/16" (slightly to the right of the PF alignment).

Starting flipper angle seems more GEM friendly…shot seems easier to nail now

IMG_2338.jpgIMG_2338.jpg

#35 10 years ago

FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC, and More Fantastic......

Thanks for all of those that have replied to this post. I work all day and then some more at home (until about 8PM or so)... and so I look so forward to chatting with those that relax the same way that I do... PINBALL! (It is my release for my daily grind)...

And so tonight I get home, get to read all of the responses and realize that this is a HOW TO actually beat Tron!...

I started to just reply to each tips, tricks and hints, but then I realized there is so much information here that I decided to copy and paste it into a separate document that I can read later.... (like 15 minutes from now)... and print it out.

I will have my Wife read it to me while I'm playing the game and instruct me/ cheer me on, and somehow make me feel complete. She complete's me so to speak.

So now.... Time to beat Tron!

Also, this HOW TO guide will be available on Amazon in paperback and hardcover shortly. Credits and all proceeds will go to the Pinside community and everyone that has contributed. (Thank you!), Keep 'em coming!

#36 10 years ago

I will pay a game daily get in a grove then spen day after day of drains

#37 10 years ago

WOW!,

Thanks for all the info,,, only played 1 game after reading all of this and improved my understanding... much appreciated.

1st thing: My "U" was blocking my shots to Quorra, which is why I wasn't spending that much time on it. CORRECTED. Now I can actually hit the shot. (Thanks so much for that advice!)

2nd: How many times to I have to hit the Quorra inner ramp shot to 'light her up' (to get the center LED to stay lit?)

3rd: How about GEM?, How many times to hit this spinner to accomplish the same...

Now I know, if these questions are stupid.... please just bare with me. I've only owned the game for a year, so I should still be considered a Newbie, an amateur, or ? Just learning... and I always love learning.

#38 10 years ago

Check out this article…pretty detailed:

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/tron/index6b.html

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's the first time I've had all but one insert lit, so I'll focus on that accomplishment if you'd prefer

I never play for points on Tron of my own accord anymore. It's all about the inserts, LOL. Tron was a massive success in that regard, it's definitely a game where getting to the modes and goals is a lot more fun than playing for score.

Quoted from Geremy13:2nd: How many times to I have to hit the Quorra inner ramp shot to 'light her up' (to get the center LED to stay lit?)

3rd: How about GEM?, How many times to hit this spinner to accomplish the same...

Quorra: 4 times (might be 5?) to light Quorra multiball. Can stack with Lightcycle. Starting it lights insert "blinking". Regular jackpot at the Quorra shot, the SUPER JACKPOT is actually at the *GEM* shot....and making the super jackpot lights the insert solid.

Gem: 3 times (IIRC) to start Gem Hurry-up mode, then you have to shoot Gem while it's active to get the solid insert. Spinner has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

#40 10 years ago

It's a really good habit to get into to check your instant info while in game. Just trap a ball on either flipper and wait. When the instant info screen comes up, now use the other flipper to scroll through the info screens. It will tell you exactly how many shots are left toward starting each mode.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It's a really good habit to get into to check your instant info while in game. Just trap a ball on either flipper and wait.

I believe it's time that I pick up this habit. Just one more to join the rest I suppose. HABITS! Everybody need's them.... I just haven't picked this one up yet. Will concentrate on tonight. Thank you!

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Quorra: 4 times (might be 5?) to light Quorra multiball. Can stack with Lightcycle. Starting it lights insert "blinking". Regular jackpot at the Quorra shot, the SUPER JACKPOT is actually at the *GEM* shot....and making the super jackpot lights the insert solid.
Gem: 3 times (IIRC) to start Gem Hurry-up mode, then you have to shoot Gem while it's active to get the solid insert. Spinner has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

I've got a new strategy. That strategy is: Pull off the playfield glass and test me strategy! I'm pretty sure I hit Quorra many times last night (after I moved the 'U' out of the way) and was pretty proud of myself but didn't get any rewards. So I'm thinking, either I am mistaken, or my spinner is not registering. It is possible, since I've been under the playfield many times and may have lightly knocked something out of place. We shall see. But it is my new strategy to test my strategy. AND also to check my progress with the menu thingy when you hold your flippers.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

I've got a new strategy. That strategy is: Pull off the playfield glass and test me strategy! I'm pretty sure I hit Quorra many times last night (after I moved the 'U' out of the way) and was pretty proud of myself but didn't get any rewards. So I'm thinking, either I am mistaken, or my spinner is not registering. It is possible, since I've been under the playfield many times and may have lightly knocked something out of place. We shall see. But it is my new strategy to test my strategy. AND also to check my progress with the menu thingy when you hold your flippers.

Go into switch test and spin the spinner. If it doesn't go off it's not working. Quickest way to test it.

It should take 5 shots to light Quorra MB.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Spinner does extend the Gem timer. Love trying to keep that mode running as long as possible.

#45 10 years ago

Thank you so much PINSIDE!..... I would have never known Quorra to be a main/ early goal... and so after making it a goal last night I still SUCKED.... so tonight my new strategy of testing my strategy proved that the spinner wasn't registering. So I checked it out carefully, could I have knocked something loose underneath? NOPE!... Could I have knocked something loose above? NOPE!.... even though I have done mod's do this machine I have never undone or came close to this 'micro-switch' that registers the spinner.....

So upon closer inspection I could see that the 'leaf' spring portion of the switch was laying on the WRONG side of the spinner mechanism/ assembly. It could NEVER register the way that it was mounted.

So I thought, well, I need to get it on the 'other side' of this assembly, and , well, a pen, will do the trick, just push it thru to the other side......... NOT!....

My pen decided to 'leak' while performing this task. Did not know it until I looked at my hands and said loudly 'What the FU*K!!!!!!'.... and of course realized that this was not a proper tool. Cleaned up my hands, and then proceeded to spend the next hour locating any droplet of ink that may have tried to totally mess up my Tron fixing project. Luckily only droplets found it's way to the 'micro-switch' assembly and I was able to clean it up. Then I used the proper tools........ anything I could find that didn't have ink in it! And I FIXED it!...

Now, on to the testing. Strategy of testing my Strategy (with the playfield glass off.)... WOW!, It works now. The menu tells me I only have to hit it 4, now 3, now 2 more times as I'm testing.... and then something comes from my speakers that says 'Im Quorra!'......... I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS BEFORE!..........

This portion has been broke from the beginning! I don't suck that bad. (I suppose).... I will have to change my post from 'I SUCK AT TRON!'.......... To....... 'I don't really play that well.'........ But I'm cool with that.

Thanks to everybody for there help. I'm gonna beat me some Tron ass right now!

#46 10 years ago

This thread is everything that's good about Pinside.

#47 10 years ago

Just got back from my EPIC play at pinball with the wife.

Lasted about 7 minutes.

Just couldn't perform.

Gonna have to keep this thread as 'I suck at Tron'..... was hoping to change it to 'I don't play that well'

But there's always tomorrow!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Just got back from my EPIC play at pinball with the wife.
Lasted about 7 minutes.
Just couldn't perform.
Gonna have to keep this thread as 'I suck at Tron'..... was hoping to change it to 'I don't play that well'
But there's always tomorrow!

Never put, "Lasted about 7 minutes." and "Just couldn't perform." so close to the word "wife". It can cause issues

Seriously, I'm glad you got it working. That would explain a whole lot. Without that switch working you stood zero chance at the game. While you are at it go back into switch test and test out ever switch just to make sure they are all working. Could be you don't just suck and your game is just not registering the shots you hit.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Never put, "Lasted about 7 minutes." and "Just couldn't perform." so close to the word "wife". It can cause issues

Yes, I understand. I was very careful about posting this information. I am a lucky fella because she last's about 5 minutes and I still have 2 minutes to go..... which she doesn't mind, and stays with it. Because she knows I really want to win!

I am pooped for the evening. But yes, I will definitely check out all of the switches tomorrow night. So happy to figure Quorra was broke and fixable.... Just need to work on the shots I suppose.

#50 10 years ago

Quorra is a funny shot.
Some games I can nail that spinner shot after shot... other games, brick after brick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Trade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-suck-at-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.