(Topic ID: 144019)

I suck at competitive pinball. But I still love it. Am I insane?

By wizard_mode

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizard_mode.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

This is a cry for help. I love pinball! I get pretty good (B division worthy) scores whenever I'm playing recreational pinball. The problem is that when I am playing head-to-head I totally flop. Insta-drain! Outlane agony! Dam!
For example, last night I played in a small local tournament. I showed up 1/2 hour early and warmed up on Batman Dark Knight. I threw up a few small scores (3-4 million) and a few big scores (for me atleast) of 50-90 million. During the 2nd round of the tournament (round 1 was a bye for me thankfully) I won the coin flip and I picked Batman. I totally stunk it up! I didn't even break 3 million! My first 2 balls I drained quick on the outlanes and the last ball I bobbled on the flippers for a center-drain masterpiece. W..T..F!?!? So frustrating! The guy that beat me only got 6 million! Then he went on to pick ToM and dominated my a$$!
For round 3 (loser bracket), I played someone whom I have never met but I think maybe they are new to the hobby. I let her pick the machine first out of courteousy (in hindsight a mistake) and she picked Family Guy. Now, I am not very good at that machine but I can usually score into the 10 million + range at least. Nope, 5 million and I got beat by a score of 6 million! Dam! Next I picked Stern Kiss and DID NOT EVEN BREAK 1 MILLION! W...T...F?!?!?! I lost with a score of 800 thousand to a score of 1.5 million! I typically score around 20 million + on that machine!!! So, now I'm out of the tournament! DAM!
After thoughts: Especially during my round 3 games, I noticed the girl's boyfriend (or maybe just a friend)giving her tips on where to shoot (naturally), which led me to believe she is new at least to competitive pinball. Also, he was talking across me (to her) while I was playing and hovering, talking smack a little bit (like, "oh man you are making him strategize!"). And it bothered me.
So, my conclusion is that I need to work on my head game. I should be able to block out distractions such as this. Even during my round 2 performance against a seasoned player who is very respectful, I feel like I am distracted somehow and that I am not focusing properly. Or, I'm focused on the wrong thing (not the game I'm in).
So, I'm not sure why I'm posting this. I feel like my issue is in my own head and I'm the only one who can fix (or at least improve) it. But, maybe (just maybe) I'm not the only one with issues like this? I've only been playing competitively for less than one year. So, my plan is to just keep with it. But, DAM! It sure would be nice to win at least one round some day! LOL
Thanks for reading...

#4 8 years ago

Whysnow thanks for the response! Maybe I'm not insane (or maybe its just you and I and we are both insane)! I have not tried headphones but maybe it would help. I'm not sure its even just the noise that distracts me. I think maybe it is just the spirit of competitition and the pressure to perform that I am just not good at.
For example, one guy that runs one of our leagues has the keys to all the machines. I see him getting bothered and tapped on the shoulder during his games, but he still manages to dominate. He is able to focus and must have a mind of steel.
I want this mind! When people bother me, it is ok and not their fault if I fail because of it! Right? I can't control the people around me. I can only control myself. But, I have not figured out how to control my mind and FOCUS!

#9 8 years ago

I am definitely a nudger and try to use it (but sometimes I tilt) to help save the ball when I can. I like the idea of yoga as funny as it sounds. I bet I could youtube some yoga and do it at home since I barely got time to get out to play pinball let alone a secondary training class to become a Pinja!
Thanks for the tips guys!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I have been in similar positions in league and tournaments and have a suggestion.......try less. Seriously, try and go into it with no expectations, have fun, and try less. Easier said than done, but it seems to work for me whem i can pull it off.

Quoted from Gov:

Try chewing gum while you play. Seriously. It helped me a ton for some reason. Maybe it is mental, but it seems to relax me a bit when I play.

Quoted from Cdoubleu1:

Only one person wins so everybody else is gonna be frustrated. I try to just go with the flow. Some good nights some terrible. It's only pinball said the dummy.

Seems like some good tips and ways of approaching the situation. I like the gum idea! Thanks again for all the tips! Glad I posted this!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The guy talking across you while you were playing is an asshat. That bull shit is not allowed in tournament play. I would politely ask the person to move. Once.
Coaching really is unacceptable too, during a tournament.
Outside a tourney - whatever, but in tourney that guy should shut the f up.

100% AGREE. Thinking back though, even if I would've asked him to stop I think it would've messed my head up. I need to be a Pinja. I really don't think I have the mind-strength (yet) to pull that off. The point is, whether or not I say something to whoever is bothering me, I need to not let it distract me. Still, I 100% agree and thought about saying something...

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Worst "psych out" situation I ever found myself in was my opponent kept chanting "drain drain drain" over and over again.

Awesome success story! Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of recognizing the situation and accepting it as a challenge. Now I need to remember this!

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I played my first IPFA tournament in 1991. Sucked bad. Took until 2008 to win my first trophy. so it took 27 years. that's what happens when you learn to play pinball with just you and your friends. And none of you know how to play, so you pick up bad habits like flailing. After 25+ years, it's hard to break out of that.

You mean 17 years?

#78 8 years ago

Sorry maybe it's a noob question but what is a diaper rubber?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizard_mode.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-suck-at-competitive-pinball-but-i-still-love-it-am-i-insane?tu=wizard_mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.