(Topic ID: 144019)

I suck at competitive pinball. But I still love it. Am I insane?

By wizard_mode

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider defaultgen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 8 years ago

I'm a decent player, but I often overestimate my own skills. When you play 50 games at home or on location, you tend to remember your longest, best games. Suddenly in a tournament you have added pressure and one game to perform. So yeah, in my head I think I can get 1bn in TZ because I can have a great game at home every once in a while, but put into a tournament I'm much more likely to have a 23m minute long game.

It sounds like your competitors were bothering you, which is pretty poor sportsmanship whether intentional or not. But on the other hand you were in the round 3 losers bracket with the players who had the worst games. You're probably playing with the players 100% just there for fun and not taking anything too seriously. You could call the couple out to the organizer for the boy coaching the girl and tell them to step back and leave you alone, but if this was the low end of a local tournament with new players I'd probably just roll with it and have fun.

#29 8 years ago

I want to wear a set of headphones while playing competitively but don't want to "that guy." I tried it once (not in a tournament) and not 2 minutes into playing heard someone in that background say "Oh this guy must be a pro." I wish more machines had headphones jacks for game sound so I could do it without trying to look like I'm Mr. Professional Pinball. I haven't heard a callout or sound effect on location in years...

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

7. Don't be afraid to chat with other players about the game, but it's not always considered cool to do this with your match opponent

I always discuss strategy with my opponents. I'll freely give advice and always ask how to play games I'm not familiar with tournament strategies. If I give good advice and my opponents blows up the game, then at least I know I have a good strategy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider defaultgen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-suck-at-competitive-pinball-but-i-still-love-it-am-i-insane?tu=defaultgen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.