(Topic ID: 144019)

I suck at competitive pinball. But I still love it. Am I insane?

By wizard_mode

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 8 years ago

No you are not insane. It's only when you get better at competitive pinball that it becomes less fun

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Seen any full grown adult temper tantrums yet? I have, and although hilarious, there is no place for them.

It's a Sport, that makes it the right place buddy!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If you wants to go full-McEnroe in the PAPA finals then whatever, at least the stakes are high (and your freak out will be recorded for posterity). But going ape when you drain at a local tournament is just embarrassing, like watching someone go crazy about a dropped pass at a flag football game or a pop-fly in a charity softball game. It makes things less enjoyable for everyone else. People should work out their anger management issues at home or on their therapist's couch! The rest of us aren't interested.

On one hand I see what you're saying, and there are diff'rent melt downs/freakouts for sure that make it worse/fun to watch. I try not to get too down on people for having passion aboot sports, it's going to happen. Obviously some things are so far wacky that they are sad.
The part I don't like is assigning value of something to someone else. You local Angry Joe probably isn't going to make it to PAPA finals...so this is it for them When I'm playing against people I also really don't give a shit aboot their enjoyment level or if they are interested in what I'm doing....I'm there to beat them

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Competitive pinball by itself doesn't suck, it is the people involved that can make it crappy.

Same thing we say aboot home players

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

They'll sulk for the remainder of the event, trash talk the event, the people putting it on, or the format, and blame all the above for their loss. They'll cheat if the opportunity presents, argue with the director to bend the rules, demand special treatment and so on. That's the truly unsportsmanlike stuff I occasionally see, but again, it truly is rare in pinball.

Agreed with this. You can be mad & shit talk the game for sure, but personal against the people running the thing...not cool.

Uff that right outlane is killing him!

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

but when he "takes a nap" at the end is classic.

I didn't even think it needed to be mentioned...we've all had plenty of them naps for sure.

As I have said many times, Bowen is complaining yelling and swearing and he's a fucking genius, other people do it and they're cry babies throwing tantrums.

EDIT: Mads touches the glass like that at a diaper rubbers house and it's an immediate ejection

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Sorry maybe it's a noob question but what is a diaper rubber?

Over affectionate game owners whom hold their game on a pedestal and would rather wax them all day then play them.
They have never grasped the concept these are commercial machines and can take a pounding.
These are the people that think tilting a game is a crime and say things like "If he had tilted a machine like that at my house I would have kicked his ass out!"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-suck-at-competitive-pinball-but-i-still-love-it-am-i-insane?tu=TheLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.