Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CubeSnake
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

de-plane-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4592 (resized).JPG
    judge_panel.png
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1471 (resized).JPG
    truck8 (resized).jpg
    truck4 (resized).jpg
    truck2 (resized).jpg
    F4AE3975-FF4C-4D6F-A154-81B1444EB5C6 (resized).jpeg
    truck (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider don44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I put my pickup truck for sale on craigslist and had it for sale for $8500. I guy inquired about it and made me an offer of $7500 which I accepted. I met him and he test drove the truck. I gave him all the information I had on it. He picked it up last Tuesday and drove it 2 hours home. He calls me this morning, 6 days later, and says he is unhappy with the truck and wants his money back. I ask him what is wrong with it and he says it leaks through the back window in 4 places. He also said the brakes were not working properly and the backup lights do not work. I have already spent the money I got from him on a different truck and I told him that. I didn't know what to say so I told him I would get back to him.

Just a little info on the truck, its a 1982 Ford F150. I has a rebuilt 351 Windsor engine with less than 10k on it and it has a rebuilt transmission and new clutch with less than 500 miles as well. 4 new tires too. Barely a spot of rust on it and nice interior. Maybe there was a leak by the window I did not know about but it was not a daily driver for me and it certainly did not smell bad or anything in the interior. Nothing a $5 tube of sealer wouldn't fix too. I guess its possible that the backup lights do not work but I did not know about it if they don't work. As far as the breaks go, I think he probably did not warm up the truck enough and it started to stall on him and brakes did not work as well in 1982 if the engine started to stall. It happened to me once as well and I specifically told him this when he looked at it.

I thought I gave the guy a fair deal. Its not like the engine blew or the clutch went. Any opinions on what I should do and does anybody know what the law is in NJ as far as any obligation I have to him? I do not want him to be unhappy but it is almost a week later and I already spent the money on another truck. I always respect opinions on here so that is why I am asking.

truck (resized).jpgtruck (resized).jpg
    #43 5 years ago

I had to run out unexpectedly so I have not replied until now. I didn't think I had any obligation to him. It is a really cool truck but I think the guy does have buyers remorse on it. When he bought the truck, I told him to make sure this kind of truck was for him. He told me he was a gear head and that was the kind of truck he was looking for. He texted me to say he had to have the car towed away to have a mechanic look at the brakes and see why the backup lights were not working and he said he is taking me to small claims court because I have not gotten back to him yet today. I stupidly let him drive home with my license plates and he was going to overnight them in the mail on Wednesday which would get them to me on Thursday and I still do not have them.

I never did mention as well that when he came for the truck I met him at the local airport that he flew into with his private plane. His son drove the plane back to Princeton. I had driven to the airport to get him and then drove in the truck with him for 20 minutes. If he has his own plane and lives in Princeton he must be relatively wealthy.

#45 5 years ago

By the way, I did not have any kind of contract. I wrote out a bill of sale for him and signed over the title.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

From the picture it looks pretty clean. In the North East, the old trucks just do not last, so the price is reasonable if it was straight and not rotted. I'd like to see more pictures of it, they're far and few between.

Straight frame, never been in an accident, no rot. I does need rocker panels as there is some rust on the door sills but I told him that. Here is a few more pics.

IMG_1471 (resized).JPGIMG_1471 (resized).JPGtruck2 (resized).jpgtruck2 (resized).jpgtruck4 (resized).jpgtruck4 (resized).jpgtruck8 (resized).jpgtruck8 (resized).jpg
    #63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Maybe he was under the impression it was imamaculate...

That’s funny to me because I actually do own a nearly immaculate baywatch.

#86 5 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. I emailed him and told him I would not be buying the truck back and to please stop contacting me and please send me those plates. He emailed me back and said it will cost $5000 to fix the backup lights and the leaky window but didn't say anything about the brakes. He said he will meet me in the middle for $2500 on the repairs and he will keep the truck. I feel bad that he is not satisfied with the transaction but the that fact that he did not overnight the plates to me like he said he would shows he is not a man of his word. He says I lied to him about any leaks in the truck but if there is a leak, I did not know about it and it is minor. Its not like it has mildew or a bad smell. I do regret selling him the truck and I would have taken it back the next day as long as he brought it back to me and took care of the title but in the meantime, I spent all the money on something else. I have sold many pinball machines and a few vehicles in the past and never had a problem. Oh well, I didn't need more stress.

#117 5 years ago

He actually flew in twice, once to look at the truck and test drive it and the next day to pick it up. Thanks again for all the advice.

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from tdunbar:

So you really have to do nothing since you are an individual and not a car dealer but if it was me and to be really nice I would offer to fix the window leak since it may not have been rainy the day he test drove it. Since he test drove it he should have noticed any brake problem so I would not take any liability for that or anything he should have noticed while test driving. Maybe offering the help on the leak will be enough to get him settled and then he may be happy enough.

He stopped mentioning the brakes in his emails but to be fair, he did ask me if the cab leaked at all and I said no. If it actually does, I did not have knowledge of it. There is a little bit of bubbling on the outside of the truck by the window. I showed him this and that is when he asked if it leaks. It had been repaired by the previous owner which I told him. I never mentioned it but I had called him on Friday to ask about the plates and he said he forgot and would overnight them that day. No mention of any issues by him on Friday.

#146 5 years ago

I did see the plane flying in and it looked nice but I don't know too much about planes. The buyer has stopped calling and emailing for the last few days. He never did send my plates back so I reported them as lost.

#160 5 years ago

I told the lady at dmv what happened and she said I can only report them as lost

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider don44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-sold-my-pin-hauler-in-nj-and-buyer-wants-his-money-back?tu=don44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.