Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CubeSnake
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

de-plane-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4592 (resized).JPG
    judge_panel.png
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1471 (resized).JPG
    truck8 (resized).jpg
    truck4 (resized).jpg
    truck2 (resized).jpg
    F4AE3975-FF4C-4D6F-A154-81B1444EB5C6 (resized).jpeg
    truck (resized).jpg
    There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Not necessarily. My uncle's a pilot, and has built his own kit plane. It's a small two seater. If he was flying a Learjet, then yes, he's relatively wealthy. As for Princeton, I'm not sure what the wealth is there. But there's always lower income neighborhoods in all the high end cities.

People that live in Carmel and have their own Mustang and Jurassic Park pinball game are definitely wealthy.

#102 5 years ago

Just do what's right. Charge him a 50% restocking fee and take the truck back.

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

People that live in Carmel and have their own Mustang and Jurassic Park pinball game are definitely wealthy.

Not right now they're not.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

He emailed me back and said it will cost $5000 to fix the backup lights and the leaky window but didn't say anything about the brakes. He said he will meet me in the middle for $2500 on the repairs and he will keep the truck.

Aha....There it is. "Needs $5K of work. But to show you how generous I really am I will meet you in the middle and you can send me only $2500.00."

That is all he is wanting; Some of his money back.

He has a truck. You have YOUR cash. As others have stated, skedaddle down to the cop shop and get it on record about the plates.

Block his phone number.

Delete his emails.

Don't even give him the satisfaction of letting him hear you tell him to take a hike.

Go silent.
    Go into "not worry" mode.
    Go have a good time.
    Go play some pinball.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

He calls me this morning, 6 days later, and says he is unhappy with the truck and wants his money back.

This is called the Jersey Shuffle. You have to respond to it with the Jersey Salute.

#106 5 years ago

$5000 to repair a leaky window and backup lights? That's hilarious!

#107 5 years ago

One last thing - reading your post again - I didn't realized the guy was from Princeton, NJ. DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY MONEY BACK - what he is trying to pull is why "old money people from Princeton" have money. Years ago I had a VERY HIGH END landscaping company in and we worked in Bucks County, PA as well as Central NJ. I NEVER returned calls for estimates or anything from anyone from the Princeton Area. They are notorious for pulling shit when it comes time for payment so we avoided the Princeton Area at all cost.

Typically most houses we worked at cost in excess of $750,000 and we were installing $50,000 to $100,000 landscapes. The majority of our work was in Bucks County, PA even though our business was based out of NJ. Knowing several other guys in the business fairly well and hearing some of their Princeton stories I wanted no parts of that area. The only two jobs I ever took near Princeton both turned into a HUGE mess when trying to get final payment. After those and hearing other stories we decided to let someone else deal with those assholes. We actually walked off both Princeton area jobs mid way through when owners refused to make their next progress payment on their projects. One guy did take the time to sue us and we won since he basically didn't follow our contract. NEVER AGAIN!

#108 5 years ago

The only thing you should be saying to him is....."We'll speak next when I see you in court."

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I stupidly let him drive home with my license plates and he was going to overnight them in the mail on Wednesday which would get them to me on Thursday and I still do not have them.

Go to DMV and file missing plates.

#110 5 years ago

IMO he inspected the vehicle had every opportunity to ask questions. He made his decision and you both agreed. Payment and title transfer is a binding contract in most states. He won't sue, he has nothing to go on and he'd only be out more court costs on top of it.

The onus is on him to prove you mislead him and from what you stated, there isn't any proof or suggestion that you claimed any of those defects were not there, but he instead failed to identify them.

Any suggestion of 'lack of disclosure' normally only apply to accident or flood damage (some states require it, same for salvage cars) and even then it has to be proven to be damage made during your ownership.

I'd just stop responding, anything else said will only extend it and be something he might find as a crack to press more or use in court. They guy's a tool, maybe his son wasn't as impressed as he was and gave him the business for the fool he is, and so now wants to redeem himself at your cost. Its a good truck, they will fix it and maybe even enjoy it because he's already upside down. But he's probably a fool too if he's going to pay 5k to mechanic to fix a tail light.

#111 5 years ago

I think this may be a scam, and I would discontinue all contact with him. $5000 for backup lights is crazy, he is deliberately lying. Then he immediately offers to split it? That is a persuasion tactic, reciprocity principle. He is compromising the initial position, and hopes you will reciprocate and compromise yours. That is classic scammer. If he had come forward with a few hundred dollars he would appear more sincere, but he is greedy and looking for a bigger payday. You made a fair deal, and can sleep at night with a clear conscience.

#112 5 years ago

Time to cut yourself loose from this joker Don.

#113 5 years ago

Tell him, "see you in court" and move on. Let him use the $1000 he saved to fix it himself.

#114 5 years ago

At this point I would be more worried about my license plates if I where you. $5k or $2.5k for cost of repairs, no way even put the brakes back in it that’s still not going to be $2500 in repairs. He is just trying to get the cost of the truck down to $5000. To late for that you both already did your negotiating the deal is done.

#115 5 years ago

maybe it just needs a fuse...or a firmware update

#116 5 years ago

Do NOT have anymore contact with the buyer.

Do NOT delete his emails, put them in a file for later if he does take you to court(very small chance he will) to demonstrate buyer's remorse and his bullshit cost of repairs claims. He bought a used vehicle as-is, there is NO WARRANTY.

Report the plates to the Police and/or DMV immediately

Enjoy the new truck you bought.

Buyer is a bullshit artist and is used to doing shit like this. It makes me wonder how many he has actually scammed in the past.

From a shop owners perspective:

Any mobile window company that does windshields will remove that rear glass and re-seal it for $200 - $300 as long as the frame is not rusted out.

The reverse lights repair, other than bulbs, is either a switch, bad sockets, or wiring. 2 to 3 hours(max) of labor plus parts. $200 to $400 tops.

Fuck that guy, and move on. I believe he is all talk and intimidation.

#117 5 years ago

He actually flew in twice, once to look at the truck and test drive it and the next day to pick it up. Thanks again for all the advice.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

He actually flew in twice, once to look at the truck and test drive it and the next day to pick it up. Thanks again for all the advice.

Dude spent more gassing his plane during the sale process than the cost of the “necessary” repairs. I tend to go with the “he’s a rich jerk, that feels he’s entitled” notion. Blow him off. But cancel those plates ASAP!

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Ohhhh...flew in twice. One for a look-see. And came back to buy. Tell him to contact Judge Judy.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Ohhhh...flew in twice. One for a look-see. And came back to buy. Tell him to contact Judge Judy.

Um is NOT an answer!

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Go to DMV and file missing plates.

In Jersey, ya hafta file a police report to produce to MVC showing that you reported the plates missing/stolen. New York guys

#122 5 years ago

What is normal when selling a car? I mean they don’t get to borrow your lisnce plates so what is usual do they just drive without and say it’s a new owner no tag yet?

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

What is normal when selling a car? I mean they don’t get to borrow your lisnce plates so what is usual do they just drive without and say it’s a new owner no tag yet?

Not sure if it's a state to state thing, but in Michigan the plate stays with the seller. You are allowed to drive a newly purchased used car without tags as long as you have the signed title in your possession and you are driving it directly home.

#124 5 years ago

The buyer has no chance. Move on.

Now, onto the plates and title transfer. I have two horror stories on this.

Story 1 - About 25 years ago, I sold an old junker to an inner-city individual for $100 and he never transferred the title at the DMV. Around a year later, I received a bill from the City of Detroit for 6k for a street light he took out on New Years Eve. That was a nightmare to deal with and cost me SO MUCH time. I eventually got out of it but was stupid enough to do it again.

Story 2 - About 23 years ago, I sold a guy a 1989 Mustang GT to a guy. He showed up with cash at my credit union so I could pay off the loan. Again, I signed over the title, but did not follow up. Sure enough, three days later, I got a call from Detroit PD that MY Mustang was wrapped around a tree and in impound. Again, what a major PITA to get out of it.

I won't let anyone walk away with a title again. I know the legalities, but some people are just stupid.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

That’s funny to me because I actually do own a nearly immaculate baywatch.

Your Baywatch may be immaculate, but is it imamaculate?

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

Being retired I watch a lot of Judge Judy . She has no idea why any one would want a car or truck over 5 years old . Even she would say the guy was S.O.L the original meaning not Same Old Lions !

This

#127 5 years ago

So you really have to do nothing since you are an individual and not a car dealer but if it was me and to be really nice I would offer to fix the window leak since it may not have been rainy the day he test drove it. Since he test drove it he should have noticed any brake problem so I would not take any liability for that or anything he should have noticed while test driving. Maybe offering the help on the leak will be enough to get him settled and then he may be happy enough.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

In Jersey, ya hafta file a police report to produce to MVC showing that you reported the plates missing/stolen. New York guys

Guy takes car with borrowed plates, never returns plates as stated he would. Now he is with holding property from owner, yeah we have a larceny so make a police report. Articulate is key

#129 5 years ago

I'm suddenly amused by the idea that you could tell him fine that you will take back the truck and then he would fly the plane in again and have to drive the truck in as well. Then when he gets there just say "Oh I changed my mind" (Like he did), and then he would have to drive back another two hours plus wasted plane trip and gas. Mean but that dude is crazy. Who knows what he's done to that truck in the mean time.

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from tdunbar:

So you really have to do nothing since you are an individual and not a car dealer but if it was me and to be really nice I would offer to fix the window leak since it may not have been rainy the day he test drove it. Since he test drove it he should have noticed any brake problem so I would not take any liability for that or anything he should have noticed while test driving. Maybe offering the help on the leak will be enough to get him settled and then he may be happy enough.

He stopped mentioning the brakes in his emails but to be fair, he did ask me if the cab leaked at all and I said no. If it actually does, I did not have knowledge of it. There is a little bit of bubbling on the outside of the truck by the window. I showed him this and that is when he asked if it leaks. It had been repaired by the previous owner which I told him. I never mentioned it but I had called him on Friday to ask about the plates and he said he forgot and would overnight them that day. No mention of any issues by him on Friday.

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Thanks for the input guys. I emailed him and told him I would not be buying the truck back and to please stop contacting me and please send me those plates. He emailed me back and said it will cost $5000 to fix the backup lights and the leaky window but didn't say anything about the brakes. He said he will meet me in the middle for $2500 on the repairs and he will keep the truck. I feel bad that he is not satisfied with the transaction but the that fact that he did not overnight the plates to me like he said he would shows he is not a man of his word. He says I lied to him about any leaks in the truck but if there is a leak, I did not know about it and it is minor. Its not like it has mildew or a bad smell. I do regret selling him the truck and I would have taken it back the next day as long as he brought it back to me and took care of the title but in the meantime, I spent all the money on something else. I have sold many pinball machines and a few vehicles in the past and never had a problem. Oh well, I didn't need more stress.

You are being scammed. It's that simple. This guy knows what he is doing. Cancel the plates yesterday and tell him no deal. See you in court.

#132 5 years ago

5k to fix backup lights and reseal a window?!

No. Just...no. Hell no.

You are under no obligations to help him. If you truly told him everything you knew, then you did nothing wrong. He bought a classic vehicle so he should have expected at least some hidden issues.

#133 5 years ago

This thread reinforces what I truely believe....in that decent/civil behavior is on the rapid decline and that we are slowly spiraling towards the apocalypse ! I deal with this kind of bullshit on a regular basis. I’m in the construction business and the signed agreement of sale (a legal binding contract in my state) specifically states there’s a one year warranty on everything. That doesn’t stop “drunk single woman”from calling the office 5 years after settlement and DEMANDING a new washing machine. Sorry mam we didn’t even install that appliance, you purchased it yourself AFTER settlement from an appliance store. Call the manufacturer. She called back 3 times over two weeks time! And we gave her the same response every time. She kept saying “ your reputation depends on you taking care of this and making this right”. Fuck off and have a great day. I could ramble on and tell stories for hours and it only gets worse every year.

#134 5 years ago

The real problem here, is that you are still swirling this nothing burger situation around in your head. Only mistake you made was to let the N.J. Turd drive off with plates registered to you. The plate surrender and the fact that you seem to be feeding off the drama of the speculation from many in this thread, is much more telling about you, than the jerky Jersey boy!

#135 5 years ago

Send him an invoice for $100/hour for the time you spent writing the post and reading the responses in this thread. Make sure to include a copy as well as a URL, so he knows the bill will continue to grow.

Brad

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Thanks for the input guys. I emailed him and told him I would not be buying the truck back and to please stop contacting me and please send me those plates. He emailed me back and said it will cost $5000 to fix the backup lights and the leaky window but didn't say anything about the brakes. He said he will meet me in the middle for $2500 on the repairs and he will keep the truck. I feel bad that he is not satisfied with the transaction but the that fact that he did not overnight the plates to me like he said he would shows he is not a man of his word. He says I lied to him about any leaks in the truck but if there is a leak, I did not know about it and it is minor. Its not like it has mildew or a bad smell. I do regret selling him the truck and I would have taken it back the next day as long as he brought it back to me and took care of the title but in the meantime, I spent all the money on something else. I have sold many pinball machines and a few vehicles in the past and never had a problem. Oh well, I didn't need more stress.

$5,000 to fix BACKUP lights and a window seal? It's not even a CURVED WINDOW. He's full of it.

This site says $89 to $114 to have someone else replace the switch in the column:
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/estimates/ford/f-150/backup-light-switch-replacement

WAY less if you do it yourself, like $20.

3rd party rear window seal is less than $20, too.
    http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Precision_Parts/Rear_Window_Seal/PCNF451918.html

I'd tell him he told you he was a gearhead, and these are very basic issues. You're surprised he would try to scam you for very minor and inexpensive issues to fix.

But better yet? Just ignore him and cancel the plates. I doubt you're getting them back.

#137 5 years ago

Judge Judy says it all the time, get it in writing.

Simple:

this truck is sold for $7500 ‘as is’ no warranty is provided.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Judge Judy says it all the time, get it in writing.
    Simple:
    this truck is sold for $7500 ‘as is’ no warranty is provided.

It seems everyone is in agreement about what Judge Judy would think of the case. But maybe we can ask a few others?

Brad

judge_panel.pngjudge_panel.png
    #139 5 years ago

Uh oh. That's it. It doesn't have a air cleaner. I'm demanding my $7500 + $500 for the inconvenience of having to open the hood.

IMG_4592 (resized).JPGIMG_4592 (resized).JPG
    #140 5 years ago

Having sold well over 400 Mustangs (1964-1967) in my life, I feel qualified to dispense some advice on this. First of all-DO NOT- use the term "As-is" on your bill of sale. That term means nothing legally. Use "No Other Considerations" instead as it means just what it means...NO OTHER CONSIDERATIONS.
    Secondly, you're under no obligations to further deal with this idiot. Don't accept any more of his calls or emails. Above all, DON'T make any concessions to him at all! Even a $1.00 for a blown-out light bulb. Don't do it as it will make you appear guilty in his eyes and he can proceed further. Not ONE THIN DIME!!!
    I too, have had people buy cars from me claiming they are "wrench heads" or "have a good background in auto mechanics" and they're the FIRST ones to call you on something simple as a blown headlight or the like. Mark my words on that one and yes, it does indeed apply to pinball buyers, too. As another poster stated, the WalMart return policy is becoming too prevalent in our culture. This has happened in, say the last 15 years or so and it's getting much much worse. When selling anything these days you must protect yourself against people like this. The best I can tell you is keep the conversation (with the buyer) to the bare minimum and tell the truth about what you're selling. Don't offer up anything else. This can & will come back to bite you. I know I may come off as harsh and unfeeling towards the buyers, but man, it is f'ing brutal out there! Everyone & his brother is out to screw you and now it seems that it's happening more & more AFTER the deal is done, as in your case. Sadly, there is no way of telling the good guys from the bad guys when it comes to selling, and that is truly a shame.

#141 5 years ago

He’s going to come after you. People are crazy as hell.

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

In some states the plate goes with the car, its this way in California.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Did you see the plane? Seriously, just sounds like he went to great lengths to make you think he had tons of disposable cash. Didn’t haggle etc

At this point I’d be worried this is part of a larger scam. Disengage. Completely. Keep all records And quietly report the plates as stolen. There’s always the chance the cops know the guy and he has tried this before

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

Did you see the plane?

Excellent question.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

Did you see the plane?

de-plane-2 (resized).jpgde-plane-2 (resized).jpg
    #146 5 years ago

I did see the plane flying in and it looked nice but I don't know too much about planes. The buyer has stopped calling and emailing for the last few days. He never did send my plates back so I reported them as lost.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

In some states the plate goes with the car, its this way in California.

Sure thing. I had a guy buy my '65 dart just to get the custom CA plate, "DAWDGE".

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Sure thing. I had a guy buy my '65 dart just to get the custom CA plate, "DAWDGE".

So dawdge has to stay on n the dart, or he can switch cars with it?

#149 5 years ago

You already paid for the window seal and the brake job when you discounted $1000.
    If more than pays for it.

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

So dawdge has to stay on n the dart, or he can switch cars with it?

No idea what he did with it after I sold it. I'm assuming he can pay to transfer it, but not sure. I've never personally done a plate transfer.

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-sold-my-pin-hauler-in-nj-and-buyer-wants-his-money-back/page/3?hl=poboypinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.