Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CubeSnake
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

de-plane-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4592 (resized).JPG
    judge_panel.png
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1471 (resized).JPG
    truck8 (resized).jpg
    truck4 (resized).jpg
    truck2 (resized).jpg
    F4AE3975-FF4C-4D6F-A154-81B1444EB5C6 (resized).jpeg
    truck (resized).jpg

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago

You can call your local BMV and cancel the plates. Just tell them that you sold the vehicle and that you have a BoS.

I’m a little puzzled by the “I’m a gear head” comment and then needing to have it towed to have the brakes looked at. And his obsession with the backup lights also kinda puzzle me...I have a 65’ Mustang Convertible and the backup lights have never worked on it since I’ve own it. I’ve had it 20 years now...

Heh, the backup lights on this car was the least of my problems when I got it. I bought it from a place in California with a contract. And on that contract it listed power steering and a power top. Whoops, it has manual steering and a manual top. Plus it overheated after driving about five miles.

I eventually settled with them after they refunded some money for the missing options and send some replacement parts for the engine. (New radiator, water pump...etc) We kept the courts out of it, but they knew they had screwed up.

F4AE3975-FF4C-4D6F-A154-81B1444EB5C6 (resized).jpegF4AE3975-FF4C-4D6F-A154-81B1444EB5C6 (resized).jpeg

#52 5 years ago

I've had a similar story about a pinsder that I've wanted to share for awhile, but won't go too deep into it, but here are the basics.

A pinsider bought two pins from me and somehow thought he could get free shipping from me. I said no. I thought this was odd, to start with, because nobody has ever asked me that before. However, he still agreed to purchase them at my price and pay his shipping. He got them all the way across the country and found a few issues with them and sent me an inflated repair cost for minor issues that ''he was quoted for'' (shooter rod misaligned, missing coin box, claimed the coin drop switches were live and almost killed him, etc)

I then promptly replied and sent him back a list of recommended fixes and how to's, since he seemed inexperienced and I never heard back from him....until more than 3 months later. He demanded I pay him $275, or that he would sue me. Anytime I replied to this guy, he would take days to respond as well. He then said $225, or he would take further action.

I eventually agreed, but it felt very wrong to me, like he was trying to offset the cost of the pins over minor issues. We're talking three months and not a peep.

I even told him I wanted to ship the games back to me. I did some research, he would of had to sue me in my home state. He was very reluctant to give me his name and would not give me his phone number to speak with him. Upon searching his name (and I eventually found it on the STI invoice), he was busted for a prostitution sting at a motel, so I didn't put it past a screwball that does that sort of thing, to hop on a plane and try and serve me papers for court.

I refunded him to avoid the headache. Would never deal with that kind of nightmare again, but how can you filter the screwballs versus the normal folks? They're out there.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I stupidly let him drive home with my license plates and he was going to overnight them in the mail on Wednesday which would get them to me on Thursday and I still do not have them.

Never let someone take your tags, they may have to be returned to the state DMV office. Here in Virginia, you can buy a temporary travel permit for $5 that allows you to drive the vehicle home with no tags. Last vehicle i sold, the dmv required I turned my tags back in.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

$7500 for an 82 F150? The truck market must be really good up there.
    I bet that’s almost what the sticker price was when it was brand new.

From the picture it looks pretty clean. In the North East, the old trucks just do not last, so the price is reasonable if it was straight and not rotted. I'd like to see more pictures of it, they're far and few between.

#55 5 years ago

Unless your state “lemon law” was really terrible you’re fine.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-jersey-lemon-law-used-cars.html

Doesn’t appear to affect you at all as it applies to sales from licensed dealerships and not private sales.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Dont let this guy and his plane Bully you .
    Honestly this is ubsurd, he must be a real great guy.
    Tell him , I'll see you in court.

Since he has a plane one can assume that he is rich. Maybe so maybe not. But most of the very wealthy people I have met are usually selfish dick heads. They did not accumulate their wealth by being generous. They have no conscience and couldn't care less about you or anybody else.

These are the guys who when they buy a stock and the price goes up they take all the credit for their "investing prowess", but if the stock moves against him it is always the broker's fault.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Since he has a plane one can assume that he is rich. Maybe so maybe not. But most of the very wealthy people I have met are usually selfish dick heads. They did not accumulate their wealth by being generous. They have no conscience and couldn't care less about you or anybody else.
    These are the guys who when they buy a stock and the price goes up they take all the credit for their "investing prowess", but if the stock moves against him it is always the broker's fault.

Dude, you’re hanging out with the wrong wealthy people.

It’s possible the guy has an aviator’s perspective of mechanics. They can’t accept any small defect.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

From the picture it looks pretty clean. In the North East, the old trucks just do not last, so the price is reasonable if it was straight and not rotted. I'd like to see more pictures of it, they're far and few between.

Straight frame, never been in an accident, no rot. I does need rocker panels as there is some rust on the door sills but I told him that. Here is a few more pics.

IMG_1471 (resized).JPGIMG_1471 (resized).JPGtruck2 (resized).jpgtruck2 (resized).jpgtruck4 (resized).jpgtruck4 (resized).jpgtruck8 (resized).jpgtruck8 (resized).jpg
    #59 5 years ago

As is means as is.

If he wanted return policy he could have bought at Carmax etc..

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Dude, you’re hanging out with the wrong wealthy people.
    It’s possible the guy has an aviator’s perspective of mechanics. They can’t accept any small defect.

Well maybe he should have looked at it better from his "perspective " while he sat in the front seat !

#61 5 years ago

Maybe he was under the impression it was imamaculate...

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Here we go !

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

That’s funny to me because I actually do own a nearly immaculate baywatch.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

That’s funny to me because I actually do own a nearly immaculate baywatch.

Get a picture of his plane so the photoshops can begin

#65 5 years ago

Lemon law does not apply to individuals and only applies to new vehicles that you have multiple issues with.

#66 5 years ago

Same crap happened to me once. Sold my wife’s car and the lady called 2hrs later said the ride was bad and she has chrones disease and its painful to drive. Called my buddy who is a mechanic as I was totally stressed. He gave me the best advice. He said do NOT give her the money back. You have no idea what this person did to the car. Could have drove over a curb and screwed up the steering or even worse. I told her that and she said ok and I never heard from her again.

My opinion, say the same to this guy and he will stop bothering you.

Best of luck.

#67 5 years ago

There is no warranty on this private sale of used vehicle. Lemon law won’t apply. The issues complained of appear minor and fixable. Do not be intimidated by a threat of taking you to small claims court. The law is on your side. Just make sure if you get served a Summons & Complaint you prepare an Answer and file and serve it. The forms are available on njcourts.com. If you do actually get sued and served (usually by regular and certified mail) and need assistance email me. I am a lawyer near you and can help you.

#68 5 years ago

Nice Truck, you have to draw the line somewhere. When a deal is done its done.
    Id love that truck!.would of fixed it up. Not much nice 80s stuff. Miss my 80s gmc super van.

#69 5 years ago

Pretty clear :

option 1: tell him to pound salt

option 2: charge him a 10-20% restocking fee for your troubles....

#70 5 years ago

Tell him you can buy it back, say $3000

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

$7500 for an 82 F150? The truck market must be really good up there.
    I bet that’s almost what the sticker price was when it was brand new.

I was thinking the same darned thing. I would have said maybe 1500 tops. But what do I know. I only dig motorcycles.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I never did mention as well that when he came for the truck I met him at the local airport that he flew into with his private plane. His son drove the plane back to Princeton. I had driven to the airport to get him and then drove in the truck with him for 20 minutes. If he has his own plane and lives in Princeton he must be relatively wealthy.

So he THINKS he wants to play gearhead (I mean...he can't handle backup lights?!), but is actually just spoiled and this phase will pass and he'll move on to something else. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

#73 5 years ago

The deal is done. No returns or refunds!!!

#74 5 years ago

Tell him no deal on the return, everyone knows that personal used car sales are strictly as-is unless you include a trial period in the deal (which would be nuts for the seller). He's blowing smoke about small claims court, looks like a $3k dollar limit in NJ, and in any event he'll have to file in your county so he'll be doing the driving if he wants to pursue his bogus claim.

Quoted from Don44:

I stupidly let him drive home with my license plates and he was going to overnight them in the mail on Wednesday which would get them to me on Thursday and I still do not have them.

If he tries to get cute about returning your license plates, tell him you'll report them as stolen if he doesn't return them. Probably 50/50 he'll just toss them in the trash at that point, but at least he won't be driving through tollbooths and red light photo cams on your tab, and you've got a story to tell the DMV so they don't suspend your license.

#75 5 years ago

Send him a link to this thread...

Small claims court will work in your favor I would think, as long as you were honest in your ad, things will be fine. I bought a great looking twilight zone, but it had several issues that caused it unplayable ( in my eyes, and scoring incorrectly) I gritted my teeth and fixed it . Bingo bango

#76 5 years ago

In the state of Georgia, once a car is used(titled, no longer under MSO, mileage could be 3 or 2 or 1 or anything) a legal sale is done with no warranty and no recourse.

#77 5 years ago

Deal with the plates asap. Cancel them to avoid tickets and such. I could see the buyer using the plates and getting you a bunch of tickets.

#78 5 years ago

I would say , I am sorry but you inspected the vehicle and purchased it completing the transaction.

I then purchased another vehicle completing that transaction

The vehicle is from 1982 and was sold $1000 less than advertised.

I am sure any repairs would be general wear and tear items required for your future enjoyment.

#79 5 years ago

Too bad about the plates. I didn’t read about that, make sure you do something ASAP. Besides speed cameras and toll violations, in Maryland we have to return the plates or we get charged for having an uninsured car (if we take car off insurance without returning plates).

#80 5 years ago

I can’t believe how long this thread is, but I’m about to contribute to it...

The buyer is nuts. Cancel your plates.

#81 5 years ago

Again, I don’t know about NJ. But MA and I’d imagine other states have a private party lemon law. It sounds like the issues he raised are not up to “lemon” standards but it doesn’t hurt to do some research in your state.

https://www.mass.gov/private-party-car-sales

#82 5 years ago

Being retired I watch a lot of Judge Judy . She has no idea why any one would want a car or truck over 5 years old . Even she would say the guy was S.O.L the original meaning not Same Old Lions !

#83 5 years ago

As dmacy said, it’s a taillight warranty.

It’s under warranty until I can’t see your taillights anymore.

Tell him to pound sand. It’s a used vehicle and can blow up in 10 miles or 100,000 miles. It’s the risk you take for not paying a dealer or 3rd party company for a warranty.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Buyers remorse is a bitch, you have no obligations to him. Walk away.

Exactly what he says, looks like a really nice truck, but you shouldnt have let him use your plates, let him take you to court, even if he wins he still has to collect the money from you. You let him look it over, he agreed to buy it so now its his, he has buyers remorse.

#85 5 years ago

Law is definitely on your side... wealthy or not, you signed the title over to him and he gave you cash. Sale is done.

As for the plates, that’s a concern. If I were you I’d have a discussion with your insurance and the state police right away. And tell that guy that he’s on clock for returning the plates as agreed upon.

If he files small claims, you’ll be fine. He can be unsatisfied with his purchase, but he bought the vehicle from a private seller with no implied warranty. It’s the buyer’s job to do due diligence. He could have taken the truck to a mechanic prior to agreeing to purchase.

#86 5 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. I emailed him and told him I would not be buying the truck back and to please stop contacting me and please send me those plates. He emailed me back and said it will cost $5000 to fix the backup lights and the leaky window but didn't say anything about the brakes. He said he will meet me in the middle for $2500 on the repairs and he will keep the truck. I feel bad that he is not satisfied with the transaction but the that fact that he did not overnight the plates to me like he said he would shows he is not a man of his word. He says I lied to him about any leaks in the truck but if there is a leak, I did not know about it and it is minor. Its not like it has mildew or a bad smell. I do regret selling him the truck and I would have taken it back the next day as long as he brought it back to me and took care of the title but in the meantime, I spent all the money on something else. I have sold many pinball machines and a few vehicles in the past and never had a problem. Oh well, I didn't need more stress.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

By the way, I did not have any kind of contract. I wrote out a bill of sale for him and signed over the title.

Unless NJ has some weird laws, all vehicle sales are as-is unless you state something to the contrary in a contract. I think NY or NJ, somewhere on the east coast there is a law that says the vehicle must be “registerable” or they can return it. To be registerable just needs a clear title and pass emissions......

At any rate, the vehicle was sold as-is, whether you stated that or not. So I’d walk away.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Thanks for the input guys. I emailed him and told him I would not be buying the truck back and to please stop contacting me and please send me those plates. He emailed me back and said it will cost $5000 to fix the backup lights and the leaky window but didn't say anything about the brakes. He said he will meet me in the middle for $2500 on the repairs and he will keep the truck. I feel bad that he is not satisfied with the transaction but the that fact that he did not overnight the plates to me like he said he would shows he is not a man of his word. He says I lied to him about any leaks in the truck but if there is a leak, I did not know about it and it is minor. Its not like it has mildew or a bad smell. I do regret selling him the truck and I would have taken it back the next day as long as he brought it back to me and took care of the title but in the meantime, I spent all the money on something else. I have sold many pinball machines and a few vehicles in the past and never had a problem. Oh well, I didn't need more stress.

The leak may not have been there 2 days ago... it has to start some time. Part of ownership.

Tell him: you purchased the car and had every opportunity to give it a thorough inspection. You have no idea what he’s done with the truck, or how he’s treated it. You were honest about it’s condition. Please return the plates or you are reporting it to the police by tomorrow at 12pm.

#89 5 years ago

Rules I follow anymore when buying/selling are 1. Buyer Beware and 2. Seller CYA.

I try to be educated about what I am buying, even then I know there can be hidden issues that pop up a week or month later. That is on me, not the seller because I went thru with the purchase.

I always try to write up a bill of sale when selling -- date, description of item(s) sold, Serial Numbers, signatures of buyer/seller with address/phone number/driver license number/etc. "Sold as is" is always included in the description.

Buyers can act all nice and you think all is well when they are putting the cash in your hand but once they leave your place your control of the situation is past. I have no problem telling people that its nothing personal, I just do not trust anyone.

Advice here is sound, wash your hands of the situation and enjoy what you've put the money towards. . . as long as it does not start leaking in a week.

5K for brake lights and weatherstrip??? WTF?

#90 5 years ago

Don't let yourself be bullied. This guy probably gets off on it.

Just don't respond to any more of his contact attempts, and make sure to keep records of every date/time you did talk to him and keep your stack of data ready to go.

Write down everything you remember now, don't wait any longer. He may very well sue you, but data doesn't lie.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

He emailed me back and said it will cost $5000 to fix the backup lights and the leaky window but didn't say anything about the brakes. He said he will meet me in the middle for $2500 on the repairs and he will keep the truck.

I'm thinking after some thought he thinks $5K would have been a good deal for the truck vs. the 7500 he spent. Doubt there are any issues with it at all -- he is just trying to guilt you into giving him some money back.

Don't do it!!

#92 5 years ago

DON'T GIVE HIM A DIME BACK! I had a garage business for over 10 years and there is no way it would cost more than a couple hundred dollars to fix back up lights. As far as rear window leaking - I didn't look at your pictures closely but if it has sliding rear window they always leak a little if you pressure wash a vehicle or something like that. If they are leaking from just rain it is likely the little drain holes in the tracks just have some dirt in them and would be a 10 minute fix. Hell a new window wouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars. GUY IS JUST TRYING FOR A BACK END DISCOUNT.

As far as tags - report them stolen and be done with it. Just go to State Police Barracks - tell them what happened (short story no need to get into all the BS). "Guy bought truck & used your plates to get it home - never mailed plates back to you - what should you do about stolen plates". They will advise you how to proceed. I am sure you are not the first person to have this happen!

#93 5 years ago

a window leak and some brakes $5,000 really

maybe if he said it was $500 and wanted $250 from you that's one thing, I would probably give him $250 but $5,000 get real?

He should have hired a mechanic near you to look over the vehicle rather than buy as is

#94 5 years ago

How do you think he could afford an airplane? Answer is! He does this with everyone he deals with most likely. Some people were programmed from very young to be tight asses.

#95 5 years ago

Great looking truck! $7500 for a 1982 F150 would be extremely high retail, but if it's in excellent shape, it might be worth it...

The first red flag was when the buyer offered you $7500 before even seeing the truck in person. I'm sure the buyer had the opportunity to get the truck inspected by a mechanic before he bought it. Also, most states have an "as-is" sales policy on used vehicles even if there isn't a written sales agreement between the buyer and the seller. Unless you gave the buyer some type of written warranty on the truck, the buyer will need to keep and enjoy that nice truck. DO NOT refund any money to the buyer, because if you do, the buyer will want more refunds in the future and it could imply that you included a warranty with the truck.

This situation has happened to me a few times before and I always said, "You can sell the car for more than you bought it for. Sale is final. Good bye..."

#96 5 years ago

As others have mentioned, unless he has a written warranty from you or he can prove fraud (almost impossible), all used vehicle sales are "as is".

He'll never take you to small claims court, but if he does the judge would dismiss his claim in 2 minutes.

Unknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-1 (resized).jpeg

#97 5 years ago

If he wants his money back out of the truck, he should sell it. It’s not your problem now. If he persists in contacting you threaten him with harassment. You don’t need this stress

#98 5 years ago

Do not be intimidated....

Only point of law might be whether or not you misrepresented it in your ad. Did you claim "100% working" or "like new" or "mint condition" or "no leaks"?

If you misrepresented the truck in any SUBSTANTIAL way in your add then I think he may be able to cancel the sale... but as others have mentioned... how do you know the leak or break light problem didn't occur for the first time when he drove it several hundred miles home.

To me you have 2 options

1) Tell him to go ahead and sue you (in my vacation rentals, almost every time I keep a portion of someones security deposit because they damaged my property, they tend to threaten to sue me. I tell them to have their lawyer call me - haven't heard from one yet). Tell him since he is going to sue you, that you will not discuss the case any more with him until you are in front of a judge.

2) You can go above and beyond what you're legally required to do and buy the car back from him, as long as
    a) He pays for any and all transfer taxes
    b) The car is in exactly the same condition as it was when he picked it up
    c) You deduct $500 from the sale price for the additional wear and tear he put on it

I would stick with option 1) myself. the whole private plane thing makes me think that this guy does not need your "charity" which is essentially what you'd be doing if you were buying the car back from him. I might go with option 2 if it was a single mom who was a waitress looking for a car to get back and forth from work, and realized that an old truck may not be so reliable.... in that case, buyers remorse, contract still binding, but being a compassionate human being would drive my decision.

#99 5 years ago

Copy and paste this thread link to him and tell him pinside says he's F'd.

Then, once he responds, send a single picture of your hand flicking him off.

Lastly, go celebrate at your local Arby's with a Big Montana.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

If he has his own plane and lives in Princeton he must be relatively wealthy.

Not necessarily. My uncle's a pilot, and has built his own kit plane. It's a small two seater. If he was flying a Learjet, then yes, he's relatively wealthy. As for Princeton, I'm not sure what the wealth is there. But there's always lower income neighborhoods in all the high end cities.

But seems like small things that need to be addressed by the buyer. I sold my previous car with 130k miles on it. Something was bound to break. When that happens, it's the buyers responsibility, not mine.

A full walk around should have been made by the buyer. I never ride a motorcycle without making sure all the lights work on it.

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-sold-my-pin-hauler-in-nj-and-buyer-wants-his-money-back/page/2?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.