Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CubeSnake
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

de-plane-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4592 (resized).JPG
    judge_panel.png
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1471 (resized).JPG
    truck8 (resized).jpg
    truck4 (resized).jpg
    truck2 (resized).jpg
    F4AE3975-FF4C-4D6F-A154-81B1444EB5C6 (resized).jpeg
    truck (resized).jpg
    There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

I put my pickup truck for sale on craigslist and had it for sale for $8500. I guy inquired about it and made me an offer of $7500 which I accepted. I met him and he test drove the truck. I gave him all the information I had on it. He picked it up last Tuesday and drove it 2 hours home. He calls me this morning, 6 days later, and says he is unhappy with the truck and wants his money back. I ask him what is wrong with it and he says it leaks through the back window in 4 places. He also said the brakes were not working properly and the backup lights do not work. I have already spent the money I got from him on a different truck and I told him that. I didn't know what to say so I told him I would get back to him.

Just a little info on the truck, its a 1982 Ford F150. I has a rebuilt 351 Windsor engine with less than 10k on it and it has a rebuilt transmission and new clutch with less than 500 miles as well. 4 new tires too. Barely a spot of rust on it and nice interior. Maybe there was a leak by the window I did not know about but it was not a daily driver for me and it certainly did not smell bad or anything in the interior. Nothing a $5 tube of sealer wouldn't fix too. I guess its possible that the backup lights do not work but I did not know about it if they don't work. As far as the breaks go, I think he probably did not warm up the truck enough and it started to stall on him and brakes did not work as well in 1982 if the engine started to stall. It happened to me once as well and I specifically told him this when he looked at it.

I thought I gave the guy a fair deal. Its not like the engine blew or the clutch went. Any opinions on what I should do and does anybody know what the law is in NJ as far as any obligation I have to him? I do not want him to be unhappy but it is almost a week later and I already spent the money on another truck. I always respect opinions on here so that is why I am asking.

truck (resized).jpgtruck (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

Buyers remorse is a bitch, you have no obligations to him. Walk away.

#3 5 years ago

You're good

#4 5 years ago

I would absolutely not give him his money back. That guy is a fool and a complete moron if he thinks that you should. He bought a used truck, sometimes things happen to used vehicles. Even if the engine blew or the transmission went out, thats not your fault.

#5 5 years ago

It's a Fair Deal! At least it's not a caravan!

#6 5 years ago

He test drove it
    Done deal .

#7 5 years ago

If it was a pinball machine you’d tell him to pound sand, especially since he’s had it about a week. So why even entertain this guy?

#8 5 years ago

Did you have a contract? Whenever I sell a vehicle I make the buyer sign a contract and states vehicle is sold as is and there is no warranty or return. Anything I’ve ever sold with a title, I’ve made a physical paper contract. Probably would be good to do this on a pinball sale too.

#9 5 years ago

Pinsiders are in full agreement. The buyer has a lot of balls even calling you and asking for a refund. Politely tell him to take a hike and then do not answer his calls.

#10 5 years ago

Yeah, no telling what this guy did to that truck in a weeks' time.

I don't think he got screwed, like you said the engine and tranny is rebuilt. I mean how hard is it to seal up the window and replace the backup lights... even if it's the wiring still not too bad. I'm not sure what this guy expected it's an '82 there is going to be a few minor things I would expect... just like when you get a new pinball back to the house there is always something that needs to be replaced...

I wouldn't feel guilty about telling this guy to get lost.

#11 5 years ago

Love the 351 Windsor engine coupled with a manual transmission.

That truck likely has a rubber sealed backglass that is easily removed and reinstalled with a hook tool

If you want to go all out give him $50 for a new seal
    https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/1980-1997-Ford-F-Series-Truck-Rear-Window-Seal-Plain-Pick-Up/productinfo/36034TO/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIstTitrax3QIVAonICh2p6AbrEAQYBCABEgKHo_D_BwE

Most sales of vehicles this old usually fall under the “as is where is warranty “unless it is written that there is a specified warranty between you and the buyer.

#12 5 years ago

A deal is a deal no returns if title was signed over

#13 5 years ago

Guy buys a $7500 truck that will be 40 years old in a few short years. He knew what he was buying, and even at that price for the vintage, one would expect a little tlc along the way of ownership.

Sound a lot like when someone buys a high priced pinball around here, and they find a scratch, or cabinet fade, or a switch not working.

Life is very imperfect. Some people are just built to cry and complain and have no business buying anything if their sole intention is to offset the cost or demand a refund because of normal wear and tear.

#14 5 years ago

I just bought a new car. Brand new and there was something saying no returns after 3 days.
    I can't believe someone would ask for money back. Wow.

#15 5 years ago

As others have posted. You are good. If your bill of sale read, "As Is".

His only recourse is if there was fraud involved. Altered V.I.N., stolen (hot) vehicle, possibly even altered frame repair, or if you were not the legal owner, etc..

#16 5 years ago

It was a private sale, he checked over the vehicle before cash was exchanged, and a deal was made. It's a 40 year old truck, what does he expect? You can't be held responsible for issues he failed to check for.

Short story, years ago I sold an old Xbox on CL for $50. It had issues, and I was clear to point them out in the ad. I invited the buyer over to inspect it and play some games before he committed to a buy. He declined, asking for me to meet him in a parking lot someplace. I agreed. We met, cash was exchanged, and the following day he calls me complaining I sold him a faulty xbox. He complained about the issues I made VERY clear in the ad. He proceeds to blast me with text messages and phone calls. Easy solution for me: Number blocked. Done deal. Sorry.

Once that xbox was in his hands, I don't know what he did with it. Maybe he was in an accident, maybe he dropped it when he was getting out of his car, maybe he had loftier expectations of a video game console built in 2001, maybe he just didn't read my ad carefully enough. Who the hell knows, but none of it was my responsibility, and he had every chance to test it thoroughly before committing to the buy.

In your case, a lot can happen in 6 days. Maybe he drove it through a carwash and damaged a seal? Maybe a light burnt out while he was driving it? Maybe he has a heavy foot, or was driving down a long hill, or carried a heavy load and is experiencing brake fade? Who knows, but none of that is your responsibility. Especially on a truck built in the early 80s.

#17 5 years ago

Used vehicles by their sheer nature have no warranty. He test drove it. Made an offer. You accepted. Done.

LTG : )

#18 5 years ago

Not your problem. Fuggedaboudit!

#19 5 years ago

rule of acquisition #1!

#20 5 years ago

Two words: Lawyer Up.

I have a local attorney that has helped me out on a few occasions when stuff like this pops up. I used to buy and sell storage units (long story and will go off point of this original thread post) but the idea is the same. Always check your local laws out to ensure you are doing nothing wrong, pay the 30 minute or 1 hour fee for "legal advice". Around me 1 hour max has cost me $100. That's saved me some very restless nights of sleep and ensured some serious peace of mind as well.

#22 5 years ago

I sold a 66’ hardtop Mustang about ten years ago to some guy two states away. I told him everything I knew about the car, what I had done to it and what issues it still had.

One things that I had done was get the engine rebuild by a longtime trusted mechanic suggested by my grandparents. This guy really knew his stuff, so I knew that whatever he did it would be perfect. And it was...damm, that car would scoot!

Fast forward to the day I sold the car. The buyer and his friend drove all night to get this car. When I opened the front door, he just shoved the agreed amount of cash that we had decided on in my hand and he went right back towards the car. After we signed the bill of sale that I had printed out from the state, and I signed over the title, I had handed him the keys and then he asked if the car still had a 289 in it. I told him that it was rebuilt as a 289, that we only changed the cam and some valves in the engine. He jumped in and tore off into the distance with the car....

A month later, I get an angry phone call from him. “You lied to me! You said this was still a 289 engine! I took the engine apart and it’s a 302!”

After a couple of seconds to process who was calling me...I asked if he knew that a 289 and a 302 share the same block and that the stroke is different. He hung up.

Hell if I know why he had taken the engine apart.....

So, I can’t say for certain about the state you live in...but I think as long as you have a signed bill of sale and the title is signed by both parties...he’s SOL.

#23 5 years ago

I am most concerned about your last sentence.
    As far as the buyer, he was buying an old truck.
    Things he mentioned are part of old trucks.
    Don't worry about it.

#24 5 years ago

Move on.... stop answering his calls
    Game Over!

#25 5 years ago

Move on.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinsideMike:

No need for that.. Used vehicle sold as is,as seen,no warranty implied.
    Tough lesson in life for some but don't get involved emotionally, just move on and avoid contact.
    -Mike

#27 5 years ago

Unless he gave you his Costco card he’s out of luck.

#28 5 years ago

What a jokester!
    I’ve bought shit before and realized “damn I’m in over my head” and y’know what, I realize it’s my own inexperience and carelessness that ended me here. I wasn’t lied too. I simply didn’t ask enough questions and when you find out things that were never even discussed sometimes it sucks.

It’s like my friend bought a CL car for literally $200. I told him he was an idiot, but he did it anyway. Had the car for a month and the frame literally split apart. It was so rusted that one wrong bump destroyed the thing. Not the sellers fault. My bud didn’t both inspecting the underside (which is some basic car-buying stuff) scrapped it for more than he paid anyway.

You’ve been more than fair and it’s incredible that he’s asshurt over some 40 year old rubber dry-rot and a burned-out taillight. I’m surprised he didn’t realize you have to actually maintain a vechicle once you buy it and things don’t stay pristine when you USE them.

Oh and lastly, you have NO IDEA what he could have done in the past week. The man could have robbed a bank for all you know. I’d never take it back at this point.

#29 5 years ago

You don't need an attorney for this. All he can do is try to take you to small claims court. It was an 'as-is' sale and you are 100% in the clear.

#30 5 years ago

If you have a signed bill of sale that expresses no warranty, and the title has been signed over to the new owner, you have no obligation.
    He's pissing in the wind.

#31 5 years ago

In MA there is a lemon law, even between private parties. I had to take advantage of it because I bought a Chevy caprice in the want ads whose catalytic converter was hollowed out so the car wouldn’t pass inspection. I was 17 and didn’t know to look for that.

So while I think your situation dictates you are in the clear to explain that you don’t owe him anything, I might also brush up on your states law first.

#32 5 years ago

Tail light warranty! Sold as is where is.

#33 5 years ago

You’re fine. Cool truck by the way.

#34 5 years ago

Don't reply at all. Nothing back to him in writing, set an email rule to send his mail to trash so you don't even see them. Block his # if he calls.

#35 5 years ago

Fuck him. He's just pissed he paid $7500 for an 82 truck. Which is amazing...congrats.

#36 5 years ago

Test drive. Cash sale for 15% off asking price, negotiated by buyer. Doesn't matter if he reconsidered in an hour, a day, a week, or a month. It's a done deal.

#37 5 years ago

In my state individual to individual as is no warranty used car dealers and car dealer will have you sign a as is. Once he signed that title truck is his.

#38 5 years ago

It's done and done.

When I graduated college I sold my firebird to some guy. I went that day to the DMV and changed the paperwork out of my name. 2 weeks later he calls, wants his money back. Told him touch shit, it's already out of my name. A few weeks after that I start getting letters from Mendocino County about getting my car.

Evidently as far as I could tell, he wrapped the car around a telephone pole somewhere, tried to get his money back, and just let the car lay where he killed it.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinsideMike:

I have a local attorney that has helped me out on a few occasions when stuff like this pops up. I used to buy and sell storage units (long story and will go off point of this original thread post) but the idea is the same. Always check your local laws out to ensure you are doing nothing wrong, pay the 30 minute or 1 hour fee for "legal advice". Around me 1 hour max has cost me $100. That's saved me some very restless nights of sleep and ensured some serious peace of mind as well.

Just wanted to say that I would like to hear stories about buying and selling storage units.

#40 5 years ago

He came to your address, test drove the truck and made a counter offer. It is now and forever his truck.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

He came to your address, test drove the truck and made a counter offer. It is now and forever his truck.

Well until he sells it at least, but ya .

#42 5 years ago

Agree with most of the above. He test drive it and made an offer.

You signed the title over, he gave you cash. It’s his now

#43 5 years ago

I had to run out unexpectedly so I have not replied until now. I didn't think I had any obligation to him. It is a really cool truck but I think the guy does have buyers remorse on it. When he bought the truck, I told him to make sure this kind of truck was for him. He told me he was a gear head and that was the kind of truck he was looking for. He texted me to say he had to have the car towed away to have a mechanic look at the brakes and see why the backup lights were not working and he said he is taking me to small claims court because I have not gotten back to him yet today. I stupidly let him drive home with my license plates and he was going to overnight them in the mail on Wednesday which would get them to me on Thursday and I still do not have them.

I never did mention as well that when he came for the truck I met him at the local airport that he flew into with his private plane. His son drove the plane back to Princeton. I had driven to the airport to get him and then drove in the truck with him for 20 minutes. If he has his own plane and lives in Princeton he must be relatively wealthy.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I had to run out unexpectedly so I have not replied until now. I didn't think I had any obligation to him. It is a really cool truck but I think the guy does have buyers remorse on it. When he bought the truck, I told him to make sure this kind of truck was for him. He told me he was a gear head and that was the kind of truck he was looking for. He texted me to say he had to have the car towed away to have a mechanic look at the brakes and see why the backup lights were not working and he said he is taking me to small claims court because I have not gotten back to him yet today. I stupidly let him drive home with my license plates and he was going to overnight them in the mail on Wednesday which would get them to me on Thursday and I still do not have them.
    I never did mention as well that when he came for the truck I met him at the local airport that he flew into with his private plane. His son drove the plane back to Princeton. I had driven to the airport to get him and then drove in the truck with him for 20 minutes. If he has his own plane and lives in Princeton he must be relatively wealthy.

Tell him to pound sand .

#45 5 years ago

By the way, I did not have any kind of contract. I wrote out a bill of sale for him and signed over the title.

#46 5 years ago

Tell him to sue you. He will have to do so in your county. To be honest, he paid too much for the truck and now has remorse. That is not your problem. I am seeing more and more of this "return it to Walmart" mentality every day. People seem to think that everything has a return policy and a warranty. It is out of control.

#47 5 years ago

Dont let this guy and his plane Bully you .
    Honestly this is ubsurd, he must be a real great guy.
    Tell him , I'll see you in court.

#48 5 years ago

It’s his. Not your problem. Here in wi there is a 3 day lemon law, but he’s well beyond that. And a leaky window and blown taillight doesn’t make a lemon anyways.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

when he came for the truck I met him at the local airport that he flew into with his private plane

Fuck him.

#50 5 years ago

$7500 for an 82 F150? The truck market must be really good up there.

I bet that’s almost what the sticker price was when it was brand new.

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-sold-my-pin-hauler-in-nj-and-buyer-wants-his-money-back/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.