Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Strummy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180603_223809 (resized).jpg
    503C0CE5-8BF8-4A80-985C-619DC8DE6702 (resized).jpeg
    20180520_190441 (resized).jpg
    drive (resized).PNG
    return (resized).PNG
    1526783950132440905797 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Strummy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So today I decided to clean the inside of the lower Playfield window. Like a dumbass I disconnected the connectors on the lower playfield with the game on. Something must have touched and now the cannon is in like a search mode all the time and some of the lighting is not working correctly. Any thoughts? Thanks

#3 5 years ago

Most lights are working but some are not flashing. I don't think there is a home switch for the Canon but I am not sure.

#5 5 years ago

I did check the fuses and they all seem to be okay. I have a coin taker backbox lighting kit in it and I also have the total Rock concert mod in it. Both only seem to be working partially

The back box kit is not flashing and attract mode nor is the total Rock concert mod

#8 5 years ago

Canon switches are not registering. The cannon doesn't know where it is during gameplay or test mode. Some of the flashers are working on the back box kit. Some of the Flasher seem to be working on the total Rock concert mod. Both mods seem to be tied into the games flashers . Is it possible that I blew a transistor near j6. Because when I pull the j6 connector off of the board the Canon stops working and the flashers stop working. So it seems like all of my problems seem to be coming from that location

#11 5 years ago

Which part are you thinking? I can fix mechanical stuff pretty easily but when it comes to electronics I'm an idiot

I do have a multimeter but I'm not sure how to test transistors

#14 5 years ago

So even if all the little red lights on the board are on and the fuses appear to be okay that doesn't mean that they are okay all the time? I will pull them all and check them. Much thanks for all the help guys

#15 5 years ago

All fuses pulled in checked

1526783950132440905797 (resized).jpg1526783950132440905797 (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago

Something appeared to have touched and shorted. I am 99% sure. Because when I unplugged something from the mini Playfield it fell and touched something in the Canon started to move. I was just doing a switch test and the opto and cannon mechanical switches do not appear to be working

#19 5 years ago

The flashers are working in test mode. So would a bad transistor cause both Cannon opto and mechanical switches not to work?

I'm still not sure which transistor would cause this. I assume it is near j6.

#20 5 years ago

Ok...So here's where I stand. I friend suggested that I may have shorted a chip for switch matrix on mpu. I checked for all dead switches. I found these are dead:

Right ramp switch
    Right orbit switch
    No mini playfield switches work at all
    Cannon opto and mechanical both don't work
    Cannon fire switch not working

#24 5 years ago

I cannot find any wires disconnected. I did test all the LEDs RGB. That all works fine. So it appears that that row is the issue Time Bandit. But if it is not a pulled wire is it a chip or something?

#26 5 years ago

Yeah Chaz has been helpful to me in the past. Of course I'm the type of person that wants this thing fixed yesterday! I do appreciate the input that I have gotten on this issue. I am glad that it is isolated to an area now

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

See if you have 3V at J1, Pin5. Red probe on the pin, black on ground anywhere.

This is what I got

20180520_190441 (resized).jpg20180520_190441 (resized).jpg

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well I'm pretty sure you're getting a strobing signal from there. The switch drive pulses between 0-4ish volts, so on average you get a percentage of that. On a scope it looks like this..

In this range though, the difference between 2.65V and 3.1V(which is what I get on a working machine) is significant, so there could be a chip problem, but you would need a scope to be sure. The difference may be in our meters.

Interesting. A few people have said that it may be a chip problem. But what does that exactly mean?

#32 5 years ago

I spoke to Chaz. He said that transistor Q4 is likely to be my issue

1 week later
    #35 5 years ago
    Quoted from arakissun:

I'm not STERN expert,but know well Williams/Bally/DE/SEGA.
    After little investigation from the manual you have Q4 at J1(Switch Columns) for the switch matrix which is 2N3904 and after that go to U1(74LV273).
    2N3904 can be test easy-with DMM
    Connect the multimeter’s positive probe to the transistor’s base lead(middle leg). Connect the negative probe to the transistor’s one time at to left leg after that to right leg.
    After this connect red probe to left black to right.
    And after that red probe to the right leg and red to the left leg.
    You must not have values under .4 or full short .0
    If you have under .4 your transistor is bad and you are lucky.It's cheap and easy for replace.
    To be sure on 100% you can compare the values with the other transistors in switch columns-from Q1 to Q8.They are same and muse have same values
    If not then may be U1 is bad.
    Also trace the connections from J1(5 pin) to U1(9 pin).And from J1(5 pin) to the and of the wire whatever it end under playfield.May be to have broken wire somehow.
    This can be do again with DMM.Get both probes no matter which one ant touch them on each of the begin/and trace.If you have connection you must hear "beep" or .001 or .002 lie values.
    Do this on shut off machine.

Thank you for this but I'm lost. I'm best with th mechanical aspect of machines.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Way more simple than either the op or most others are suggesting! Op seems to be more impatient than me(Did not think that was possible, but apparently is), slow down and closely inspect the area where you were working and you will find the problem. You very well might have done additional stuff after the fact, because you started panicking right out of the gate and when you have a sky is falling mentality, more bungles follow.

I wish it was that easy! I have inspected, inspected and reinspected. I can't find anything

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from heme:

so the two limit switches for the cannon are ok?

No. The cannon doesn't know where it is. Everything is out as depicted in post 14

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from heme:

did you do a continuity check btwn the backbox on the J1 green/ yellow wire and the various switches they are connected to?
    Just looking over the basics again.
    if it's not Q4 then eshhhh. that probably means surface mounting repairs or a new board.

I have continuity there.

#43 5 years ago

I found it! I was looking at the wrong Q4! The Q4 I was looking at was on the other board. I can see the black residue on this one and it appears to be fried!

20180603_223809 (resized).jpg20180603_223809 (resized).jpg

#44 5 years ago

I learned a lot on this one. Thanks for all of the input that everyone gave me.

1 week later
    #48 5 years ago

So that blown transistor above was the issue. Big thanks eabundy for replacing it for me!

#50 5 years ago

So now the game plays great after the transitior was replaced but there is another issue. I have a cointaker deluxe back box kit. The flashers work fine but the rgb lighting doesn't fade and change colors anymore.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

You have a remote for it?

I believe so. I was just thinking about this while at work.

I think that I recall the lighting going through an attract sequence but it doesn't do it anymore.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Strummy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-screwed-up-my-ac-dc-premium?tu=Strummy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.