(Topic ID: 281294)

I scored a original Python Anghelo watercolor painting from the 70's!

By enjoyvelvet

68 days ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2096A523-C320-4FB9-95FD-E717AC8EFE35 (resized).jpeg
9160EFA4-2F61-40F4-97F6-2721DD0A116D (resized).jpeg
E6004846-18EE-447F-897E-9EE562326870 (resized).jpeg
34EB984B-7E1D-4A7C-A849-0528C10EB3AA (resized).jpeg
IMG_6753 (resized).JPG
IMG_6752 (resized).JPG
IMG_6736 (resized).JPG
IMG_6734 (resized).JPG
IMG_6733 (resized).JPG
IMG_6731 (resized).JPG
IMG_6732 (resized).JPG
IMG_6724 (resized).JPG

#1 68 days ago

Back in 2012 I posted a WTB if anyone had a source to purchase any pieces by famed arcade/pinball designer and illustrator Python Anghelo. He has always been my favorite pinball artist and I have owned Joust, Taxi, Hurricane and a Bad Cats which were one of many of his great games. I randomly was contacted a couple months ago by a gentleman who said he found me after doing a google search on "Python Anghelo artwork" and came across my WTB post somehow. His mom was a college friend with Python in Chicago back in the 1970's and he painted a watercolor of a nature scene and gifted it to her. She has had it all this time having zero knowledge of his success in the arcade/pinball world and long story short I was able to purchase the original watercolor along with multiple copies of flyers that Python made up to promote his artistic career way before his pinball career including his time at Disney. I made a video of my interview with the owner since it was such a unique and cool story. I thought it was important to share this history with the pinball community. I wish there was a source to appraise it for my own documentation purposes but I'm not sure how you value something like this. I'm looking forward to hanging this beautiful piece on my wall for many years to come. Photos and Youtube video attached.

IMG_6724 (resized).JPGIMG_6731 (resized).JPGIMG_6732 (resized).JPGIMG_6733 (resized).JPGIMG_6734 (resized).JPGIMG_6736 (resized).JPGIMG_6752 (resized).JPGIMG_6753 (resized).JPG
#2 68 days ago

Have to say, like the work regardless of the name. Having it associated with him is pretty cool tho.

#3 68 days ago

We are grateful that you snagged it so we could all see it.
Beautiful piece.
-mof

#4 68 days ago

That is cool - thanks for sharing!

#5 68 days ago

Congrats!! Cool find!! I treasure all my Python art and memories!! I miss him so much!!

Phoebe

#7 67 days ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Congrats!! Cool find!! I treasure all my Python art and memories!! I miss him so much!!
Phoebe

Any photos of your pieces? How did you know him? Certainly wish I could of met him!

#8 67 days ago

Thank you so much for sharing. Brought a smile to my face. Sure do miss that guy.

Brian

#9 67 days ago

I had a bunch of Python art at one point, but not sure that I have any pieces left. I do have some Paul Ferris stuff for sure, but think I sold off all my Python stuff.

He was the best. Such an amazing person/artist/character.

#10 67 days ago

I found a random (Marilyn) Taxi translite on LetGo for sale by a random old guy in the NW side of Chicago. I picked it up and chatted him up a bit and asked where he got it. He said he was drinking buddies with Python and he gifted him the translite randomly one day! The pinball history tied to Chicago is so strong, and these guys were buddies just in my backyard! It's framed hanging in my game room.

#11 67 days ago

I met Python years ago at an Expo. He was selling some autographed prints. They were over my budget at the time, I very much regret not buying one. Congrats on a cool find.

#12 67 days ago

Un-related, the "King Richards Faire" image, is the original name for what is nowadays known as the 'Bristol Renaissance Faire'.
And that image is foreshadowing Python's artwork for Jokerz!.

#13 66 days ago
Quoted from enjoyvelvet:

Any photos of your pieces? How did you know him? Certainly wish I could of met him!

I met Python many years ago and we were very good friends! I have many pictures with he and I and in that video that you shared I'm the woman in the pic with him at his expo seminar next to the Bad Cats pinball. I helped him with a few of his seminars at Expo.
I don't have any pics handy of the things I have. They are for the most part pinball related. I have several pre production PF's that I got from him (Bad Cats, Jokers! and PinBot). My Marilyn Taxi translight was his pre production copy that he signed and sent to me for Christmas one year because he knew my game was missing the translight. I also have a print of his Bride pencil drawing signed and numbered that he gave me and a Joust poster from when it first came out that he signed gave to my husband and I (I usually have it mounted on my Joust pinball when I take it to shows). I have his signed Twin Galaxy trading card that he sent with another friend for me and the friend had it made into a plaque for me after Python passed.
He was a great friend and artist. I actually had the honor of being his guest at an art show he had at a gallery in Chicago during Expo week one year. I loved his use of nature in his art. He loved nature and pinball and I miss him very much!
That picture that you have is very special as it is probably one of his relatively early pieces. It is a very cool piece!

Phoebe

#14 66 days ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Un-related, the "King Richards Faire" image, is the original name for what is nowadays known as the 'Bristol Renaissance Faire'.
And that image is foreshadowing Python's artwork for Jokerz!.

We've been going to the King Richard's Faire as long as I can remember. According to Wikipedia it's the same family as the original in WI, now in MA. I wonder if they still use any of the artwork, I'll have to keep an eye out of I take the kids next year.

#15 65 days ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I met Python many years ago and we were very good friends! I have many pictures with he and I and in that video that you shared I'm the woman in the pic with him at his expo seminar next to the Bad Cats pinball. I helped him with a few of his seminars at Expo.
I don't have any pics handy of the things I have. They are for the most part pinball related. I have several pre production PF's that I got from him (Bad Cats, Jokers! and PinBot). My Marilyn Taxi translight was his pre production copy that he signed and sent to me for Christmas one year because he knew my game was missing the translight. I also have a print of his Bride pencil drawing signed and numbered that he gave me and a Joust poster from when it first came out that he signed gave to my husband and I (I usually have it mounted on my Joust pinball when I take it to shows). I have his signed Twin Galaxy trading card that he sent with another friend for me and the friend had it made into a plaque for me after Python passed.
He was a great friend and artist. I actually had the honor of being his guest at an art show he had at a gallery in Chicago during Expo week one year. I loved his use of nature in his art. He loved nature and pinball and I miss him very much!
That picture that you have is very special as it is probably one of his relatively early pieces. It is a very cool piece!
Phoebe

Super cool! Glad I gave you some credit in the video!!

#16 65 days ago

Thanks for sharing!

#17 65 days ago

Wow! I really love that

1 week later
#18 58 days ago

The seller found this poster and sent it along including one of Pythons business cards from 1975! Just got it framed today.

34EB984B-7E1D-4A7C-A849-0528C10EB3AA (resized).jpegE6004846-18EE-447F-897E-9EE562326870 (resized).jpeg
#19 58 days ago

Biz card reminds me of pinbot

2096A523-C320-4FB9-95FD-E717AC8EFE35 (resized).jpeg9160EFA4-2F61-40F4-97F6-2721DD0A116D (resized).jpeg
#20 57 days ago

Wow, I like this watercolour more than most of his pinball-related artwork. Great score.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside