(Topic ID: 320324)

I really dislike staging. (warning: petulant whining)

By oldbaby

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrMikeman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Staging is:”

• a good game mechanic 20 votes
      51%
    • a bad game mechanic 6 votes
      15%
    • neither good nor bad 13 votes
      33%

(39 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

64C01A9B-806A-47E8-BC0E-86F1CAA0A903 (resized).jpeg
    C5B07A63-0208-428D-8B95-B8C4C9640207 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoko2una.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

Just played a pin where it was almost impossible to stage because the sensors were too close together. How many operators would identify and fix such a problem? Only the most dedicated. If you ask me, Multimorphic has the right idea. (The upper flippers are controlled with a separate button).
    Staging is like playing tennis with the racket tucked in your armpit.

Counterpoint - unstaged flippers (Example: Congo’s 2 left flippers) make it physically impossible to cradle on the lower and use the upper. This is a technique used in many competitive settings on games that have staged flippers.

People need to set up their games properly. Just because an OP may have a game set up poorly, doesn’t mean an industry should take away something that adds to competitive gameplay.

Edit - multiple flipper buttons are also confusing, unless it’s blatantly obvious it has another function (MagnaSave on BK/BK2K, center post kickback on Medusa…etc).

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

What is staging, and what sensors are too close together?

In one picture I have the flipper button fully pressed in. Both left flippers are up. But there’s two switches in series and the upper flipper is 2nd in line, so if I depress the flipper button a bit, the upper flipper returns to rest. So by depressing and pressing just a little all the way in, I have full control of that flipper while not moving the lower flipper (which is cradling a ball, typically in a multi ball so I don’t drain).

C5B07A63-0208-428D-8B95-B8C4C9640207 (resized).jpegC5B07A63-0208-428D-8B95-B8C4C9640207 (resized).jpeg64C01A9B-806A-47E8-BC0E-86F1CAA0A903 (resized).jpeg64C01A9B-806A-47E8-BC0E-86F1CAA0A903 (resized).jpeg

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Learn something new every day

It's crucial, especially in games where an upper flipper hits the Super Jackpot or other key shot. Take TMNT for example where Mondo Jackpot is reached from the Krang loop. You can flail around with all the balls in play during MB, but when you get down to two, the smart play is to trap up one and play the other. If you can get one ball trapped on the lower left flipper, you now have full control of the right flipper and upper left flipper to try to make controlled attempts at Super Jackpot.

Now compare that to my earlier example (Congo) where Super Jackpot is still an upper flipper shot, BUT those flipper mechs only have 1 opto for both flippers to fire together, and you lose that ability that staged flippers offer. In that case, the play is to get both on the right flipper, quickly cradle separate, shoot GRAY, and quickly go for Super JP while you hope to maintain the other ball down below. If you have one on each flipper, you still use the right flipper to hit GRAY and then go for Super JP while knowing the other ball is going to get rifled off since you can't stage the left flippers so the lower ball is flipped when you attempt Super JP up top.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoko2una.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-really-dislike-staging-warning-petulant-whining?tu=yoko2una and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.