(Topic ID: 51510)

I put my first pin on route....the quick story!

By mezzblue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mezzblue
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

PUT A BILL ACCEPTOR IN IT. coin jams are the #1 thing that make a game marked "out of order".
    most people don't carry multiple quarters and most bars the employees are to busy to give people change.

I have heard from one op that a bill acceptor increases revenue by 30% in the absence of a change machine.

A friend of mine who is an op has acceptors on all his machines.

#51 10 years ago

I'm not an Op but I work with one closely to put on tournaments.

In all cases, my goal is to build up a "scene" at a location. One game at a location doesn't really draw people, from what I've seen. The minimum to do that is 3 games. You can run some really tidy tourney formats with only three games, but four is better.

You have to work to get the word out. That is the number one thing I see Ops not do. Find all the cheap/free venues of advertising and then what are the most cost-effective after that?

There is a site in my area called SF Funcheap. They posted one of my events and it doubled the turnout. Another time, the East Bay Express chose to feature one of my events and it tripled the turnout. Eventually, a scene builds up and I can get a reliable 20 - 30 players every time. However, it took about six months of work to get there. We had a few nights with only around a dozen players.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

What about when ops install lightning flippers on games that aren't supposed to have them? That sucks. It's even worse when one flipper is lightning and the other is standard. My local op commits both of these crimes!

Have you emailed or called him?

Most of the time I've contacted an Op they were receptive. One was even willing to do a launch party with me.

Most Ops are not players. They operate all kinds of amusement equipment. They don't know what makes or breaks a game, and as pointed out in the thread, pinball generally does not earn, so if not told, they leave it to rot.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Yeah I'm in regular contact when something breaks or balls get stuck. He fixes breakdowns but nothing that is hurting gameplay (poor flippers, kickout alignment, dead slingshots, faulty gates, dead switches, dodgy diverters). He's basically leaving the pins on location to waste away — they're in bad shape. He won't sell them to me either!

Well, we all have our sense of what is acceptable in a routed pin. For example, I and others played a TAF for months that was great fun to play but the thing-flip and magnets were dead. Still, the basic gameplay was intact. It was a fun "bar" pin regardless.

If the game is just broke, though, and the Op won't fix it, well then screw 'em.

Our local "minimal" OP in the Bay Area is California Amusement Games (CAG). They seem to thrive on mediocrity when it comes to pins.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-put-my-first-pin-on-routethe-quick-story?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.