(Topic ID: 51510)

I put my first pin on route....the quick story!

By mezzblue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mezzblue
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

I'm not an Op but I work with one closely to put on tournaments.

In all cases, my goal is to build up a "scene" at a location. One game at a location doesn't really draw people, from what I've seen. The minimum to do that is 3 games. You can run some really tidy tourney formats with only three games, but four is better.

You have to work to get the word out. That is the number one thing I see Ops not do. Find all the cheap/free venues of advertising and then what are the most cost-effective after that?

There is a site in my area called SF Funcheap. They posted one of my events and it doubled the turnout. Another time, the East Bay Express chose to feature one of my events and it tripled the turnout. Eventually, a scene builds up and I can get a reliable 20 - 30 players every time. However, it took about six months of work to get there. We had a few nights with only around a dozen players.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from freezie:

my biggest beef with some games on location, and what stops me from spending ,more sometimes, is when the op has ridiculous angle on the game , and all setting on hard , Side lanes wide open. I play for fun , not to rack up the credits, but when they are set that way I walk away .

What about when ops install lightning flippers on games that aren't supposed to have them? That sucks. It's even worse when one flipper is lightning and the other is standard. My local op commits both of these crimes!

#53 10 years ago

Nice work man. Thanks for putting some games out there in the wild for us.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

What about when ops install lightning flippers on games that aren't supposed to have them? That sucks. It's even worse when one flipper is lightning and the other is standard. My local op commits both of these crimes!

Have you emailed or called him?

Most of the time I've contacted an Op they were receptive. One was even willing to do a launch party with me.

Most Ops are not players. They operate all kinds of amusement equipment. They don't know what makes or breaks a game, and as pointed out in the thread, pinball generally does not earn, so if not told, they leave it to rot.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

completely off topic here and I have no intention of becoming an op, but I was curious if anyone had a big buck hunter on site and how much they generally make?

My buddy has one at a bar near me. I asked him to swap it out as I was bored with it, he said no way. Great earnings.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Have you emailed or called him?
    Most of the time I've contacted an Op they were receptive. One was even willing to do a launch party with me.
    Most Ops are not players. They operate all kinds of amusement equipment. They don't know what makes or breaks a game, and as pointed out in the thread, pinball generally does not earn, so if not told, they leave it to rot.

Yeah I'm in regular contact when something breaks or balls get stuck. He fixes breakdowns but nothing that is hurting gameplay (poor flippers, kickout alignment, dead slingshots, faulty gates, dead switches, dodgy diverters). He's basically leaving the pins on location to waste away — they're in bad shape. He won't sell them to me either!

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Yeah I'm in regular contact when something breaks or balls get stuck. He fixes breakdowns but nothing that is hurting gameplay (poor flippers, kickout alignment, dead slingshots, faulty gates, dead switches, dodgy diverters). He's basically leaving the pins on location to waste away — they're in bad shape. He won't sell them to me either!

Well, we all have our sense of what is acceptable in a routed pin. For example, I and others played a TAF for months that was great fun to play but the thing-flip and magnets were dead. Still, the basic gameplay was intact. It was a fun "bar" pin regardless.

If the game is just broke, though, and the Op won't fix it, well then screw 'em.

Our local "minimal" OP in the Bay Area is California Amusement Games (CAG). They seem to thrive on mediocrity when it comes to pins.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

What about when ops install lightning flippers on games that aren't supposed to have them?

Sucks. He learned from the European operators who originally demanded them to shorten ball times in the '90s. No games were designed to have them. I don't like how they feel, and would replace them with real flippers if I owned any of those games.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

same as the op at the location near me, they are owned by the location and I see him working on things alot there and point out issues to him but he never fixes them. so long as they take money he's happy. He had a lotr with a gollum hole that didn't register and required a ball search every time you hit it for the coil to fire (just a switch?) and his TF has issues with megatron not registering and then getting confused about how many balls are in play and giving you extra balls/not enough balls if your on a multi ball. It's really annoying have to wait for ball searches over and over to get through a game. His AV had a broken plastic that actually stopped you ball from leaving the shooter lane for a week or so before he removed the plastic. Woulda thought he'd do it right after we told him about it seeing as it's simple

#60 10 years ago

Plain and simple keep the games working people will play. LW3 earned 90 bucks in 2 weeks at a local pub near me. 50 a play 2 for 75 3 for 100. Its clean fast and 100%. Any pin will earn if its working.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from freezie:

The only pin near me is a Lord of the Rings and when you try to put money in , it rolls out the coin slot into your hand , it's set so steep , you have to ram the coin in to get the machine to accept it.

I think this is just a problem with Stern coin doors. It happens all the time on mine.

To Mezzblue, I would strongly recommend buying Imonex coin mechs. In my experience they clog and jam far less frequently than other mechs, and they divert Canadian coins to the chute rather than clogging up with them. And everyone is right, get a bill acceptor. They make little difference in a location with a change machine, but for a one-off machine in a bar, the earnings go way up with a bill acceptor. It's well worth the $70 or whatever it would cost to get a good used/refurbed one.

Here is the best price I've found on the Imonex mechs: http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1436-imonex-120-900-01-insert-us-quarter.aspx

#62 10 years ago

Bobbyconover----thanks for the link! I'll try and locate a bill validator this week.
    BTW: I checked on the game last night for the first time in 2 weeks (out of town) and it's still working just fine!!!! I probably just jinxed myself. I didn't empty the quarters, so there in't an earnings report. I'll "shop" the game later today.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-put-my-first-pin-on-routethe-quick-story/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.