Spared no expense.jpg
Worth what we charge you.gif
image-941.jpg
147404.gif
MMR2.jpg
STP.png
n50cb650e9ae9b_large.gif
MMR.jpg
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

one-off custom pins come to mind

In my custom machine I use multiple smaller driver boards, with some mounted under the playfield. There are several advantages, setting aside cost savings by having a lot less wire, I think one of the big ones is troubleshooting and repair. In my case each board has two banks of eight solenoids (one board is configured as a lamp matrix, so that is al little different) If a failure occurs to a driver board it is quicker to identify the cause, since it likely only 8 or 16 of the solenoids that would be impacted, not the whole machine. It is much easier to then swap a board to do quick trouble shooting. Doing something stupid (e.g. dropping a screw driver with high power on), would likely damage only one board or half of one board vs an entire driver board controlling all powered items. The cost of replacing a board is significantly less (< $100) which can let you get back up and running quickly before dealing with repairing a board.

One downside to mounting the boards under the playfield is the increased risk of the board being damaged by something coming lose under the game or from the increased vibrations, etc. from game play. Boards in the backbox are far more protected in that sense. My game has only seen several hundred plays, so too early to assess the risk of being under the playfield. However, there are plenty of games with boards mounted under the game (opto boards, motor boards, eddy boards, etc.), and I am not really aware of that being a big issue relative to damage and failures.

While ultimately it is the same amount of heat, the smaller boards are spreading that, so while the total is the same, with it not being so concentrated, I would expect that heat inducing failures would be reduced. Having said that, we have already seen over time efforts done to reduce this (e.g. bridge rectifiers being replaced by discreet diodes).

Only time will tell if this design is more reliable.

#202 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Correct me if I'm wrong but is there is no such thing as a pinball machine that never breaks or requires service? I've never seen one in my life.

No such critter.

You have a ball running around in there at 3 or 4 miles an hour. Sooner or later, something will break.

LTG : )

#203 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No such critter.
You have a ball running around in there at 3 or 4 miles an hour. Sooner or later, something will break.
LTG : )

But Stern's "The Pin" was supposed to be maintenance free, you can't even open to fix it.

#204 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

But Stern's "The Pin" was supposed to be maintenance free, you can't even open to fix it.

Did you hear?? Jersey jack is releasing WOZ in miniature version! Here is my 12 year old brother playing!

oz pin mini.jpgoz pin mini.jpg
#205 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Did you hear?? Jersey jack is releasing WOZ in miniature version! Here is my 12 year old brother playing!

oz pin mini.jpg 54 KB

I was going to post this exact same thing. Zizzle version of WoZ.

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Just unscrew the bottom panel, it opens right up.

#207 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

oz pin mini.jpg 54 KB

Oh my. Let me guess ...his name is Tim.....Tiny Tim!

#208 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was going to post this exact same thing. Zizzle version of WoZ.

Great minds. Hey!....it could be a Wozzle !

#209 10 years ago

It's my long-lost brother!

#210 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

oz pin mini.jpg 54 KB

Given the shorts/sandles/size - looks like Todd MacCulloch - http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=442

#211 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

In my custom machine I use multiple smaller driver boards, with some mounted under the playfield. There are several advantages, setting aside cost savings by having a lot less wire, I think one of the big ones is troubleshooting and repair. In my case each board has two banks of eight solenoids (one board is configured as a lamp matrix, so that is al little different) If a failure occurs to a driver board it is quicker to identify the cause, since it likely only 8 or 16 of the solenoids that would be impacted, not the whole machine. It is much easier to then swap a board to do quick trouble shooting. Doing something stupid (e.g. dropping a screw driver with high power on), would likely damage only one board or half of one board vs an entire driver board controlling all powered items. The cost of replacing a board is significantly less (< $100) which can let you get back up and running quickly before dealing with repairing a board.
One downside to mounting the boards under the playfield is the increased risk of the board being damaged by something coming lose under the game or from the increased vibrations, etc. from game play. Boards in the backbox are far more protected in that sense. My game has only seen several hundred plays, so too early to assess the risk of being under the playfield. However, there are plenty of games with boards mounted under the game (opto boards, motor boards, eddy boards, etc.), and I am not really aware of that being a big issue relative to damage and failures.
While ultimately it is the same amount of heat, the smaller boards are spreading that, so while the total is the same, with it not being so concentrated, I would expect that heat inducing failures would be reduced. Having said that, we have already seen over time efforts done to reduce this (e.g. bridge rectifiers being replaced by discreet diodes).
Only time will tell if this design is more reliable.

I was actually considering taking "modular" even a step further, placing every coil/transistor/resistor/and diode on it's own unique coil "pcb" along with a fuse for each one (gottlieb system 80 anyone?). If one of the ~15-20 coils in the game locks on, all that fails is the .50 cent fuse. I realize you still need a way for effective power distribution going this route but it seems it would greatly reduce the all-too-common transistor/coil/diode failures that have plagued those servicing pinball machines for decades.

How much can 25,000 fuses+holders cost for an 8 million dollar pinball machine remake? It's almost like the designers WANT things to fail and burn up expensive stuff (instead of just fuses) to keep the "parts" market alive.

#212 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm with you on this one. Love the theme, the art, the callouts, the dots, the spider... but in the end the game is just too easy IMO. The TPA verision is RIDICULOUSLY easy, and the real thing it still not that much more difficult. The first time I played a real one after playing the TPA version, it took me all of three games to get and clear the Stiff-O-Meter.

I think it's too easy as well, but if you'd own one, couldn't you just set the settings way harder (more shots for lock, more bumpers needed, more ramps needed, etc) so there's not that easy to get to the end and some things aren't almost 'automaticly' completed (i.e. pop-bumpers after a multiball). I think that'd make the game less easy and more fun in the long run.

Back on topic: hope we'll see some detailed pics of the MMR soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-played-the-new-medieval-madness-pinball-yesterday/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.