Spared no expense.jpg
Worth what we charge you.gif
image-941.jpg
147404.gif
MMR2.jpg
STP.png
n50cb650e9ae9b_large.gif
MMR.jpg
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Hopefully they do that and put a direct link to your checking account that deducts 50 cents for every play.

Only if Stern created the withdrawal code. Then I'd have several years of free play before it was actually implemented.

#153 10 years ago

It doesn't matter how much the game costs to build or if PP had to do the R&D or if it simply bought the blueprints. The fact is, someone (Williams) spent money on R&D testing and code etc...

It might have cost less money back then or it might have been paid for over more games as Williams was selling way more games. But the point is, we don't have to pay PP less because someone else already did the work.

For explmple, if Apple sold the patents or design to XYZ phone company to build an iPhone, and XYZ phone company could make the phone for $99 but comparable phones are selling for $599. There is no obligation for XYZ to sell the phone at the lowest possible price, they can sell it for what it's worth which is determined by how many people are willing to pay whatever amount for it. If they charge too much people won't buy them.

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It doesn't matter how much the game costs to build or if PP had to do the R&D or if it simply bought the blueprints. The fact is, someone (Williams) spent money on R&D testing and code etc...
It might have cost less money back then or it might have been paid for over more games as Williams was selling way more games. But the point is, we don't have to pay PP less because someone else already did the work.
For explmple, if Apple sold the patents or design to XYZ phone company to build an iPhone, and XYZ phone company could make the phone for $99 but comparable phones are selling for $599. There is no obligation for XYZ to sell the phone at the lowest possible price, they can sell it for what it's worth which is determined by how many people are willing to pay whatever amount for it. If they charge too much people won't buy them.

I don't think anyone is debating what you HAVE to pay PP. I think what they are saying is what they could sell the game for and still make money..

#155 10 years ago

8K was my absolute max and even at that I'm staggering a bit over the cost. Its really a 8.5k machine after shipping CC fees and such. I'm actually embarrassed to tell people what I paid for it. For 6-6.5k I would have been completely satisfied over the purchase with no buyers remorse whatsoever. I'm expecting the quality to be top notch for the cost and that is the expectation you set when you ask a premium price tag. Its now on PPS to deliver a rock solid pin with no corners cut anywhere or there will be riots in the streets.

#156 10 years ago

8 for MMR seemed reasonable for some reason. I know $8500 and I would have thought long and hard and would have passed, Seems they had it priced right for me. I have high expectations for quality. I assume PPS wants to keep printing money by knocking out knock offs so they have to deliver on it.

#157 10 years ago

I agree. For me, for MM, I'd rather pay $8K and expect and get absolute primo quality across the board than pay $6.5K and have them cut some corners.

I know that paying $8K doesn't mean I'll get and excellent quality product, but in my head I can expect it.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm expecting the quality to be top notch for the cost and that is the expectation you set when you ask a premium price tag.

#158 10 years ago

It is probably 8k because they did a cost analysis and found the current market is almost double that for a "mint" machine. So it sounds like a deal. Would I rather pay less? f ya. But since the stupid market brought the machine up to 10-12k or more for a "players" machine, this is a good deal (as crazy as that sounds).

#159 10 years ago

People posted rumored MM to be 6k and everyone chimed in they would pay 8. Bammo!!!

#160 10 years ago

If this speculation that MMR is priced so because it can be sold, than likely BBB would be same cost or a bit more but other Williams titles should be cheaper.

#161 10 years ago

Never played mm really, maybe a couple balls on a beat up unshopped machine at the Winston salem auction in 2003. I think it went for 4K. I thought it was overpriced... Lol. Watching the papa vids and the promo, I can see why it's so popular.

#162 10 years ago

I 'like' how the OP starts this thread then adds a sales pitch and bounces.
That's the dude I want to take my money.

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

People posted rumored MM to be 6k and everyone chimed in they would pay 8. Bammo!!!

X10....I was thinking the same thing. It was supposed to be 6-7K and then a couple of neophytes got over enthused and bang we have an 8k remake.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'd rather pay $8K and expect and get absolute primo quality across the board than pay $6.5K and have them cut some corners.

Worth what we charge you.gifWorth what we charge you.gif

#165 10 years ago

Really Nibbles? Nothing new to add? I've never clicked "IGNORE" before, but...

#166 10 years ago

^Why not charge $10k? You could have expected to get solid gold armor and "spared no expense"... you have to dream/spend big, to live big.

Spared no expense.jpgSpared no expense.jpg

#167 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Really.
And how many did he sell ?
LTG : )

Looks like all 1000 to me, all at Expo for more money. His Patience paid off it appears.

All great news for all involved. Very happy for everyone

Bill

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Really Nibbles? Nothing new to add? I've never clicked "IGNORE" before, but...

Another one bites the dust on my list!

#169 10 years ago

Getting pretty close to trolling here Nibbles. Most here know how you stand on this one now please just let it go and let others discuss.

#170 10 years ago

"It could conceivably be a game that resurrects this industry."

Yea...but who would have thunk over 16 years later?

#171 10 years ago

MM is the only game of 52 sold that I would like to get back. My strategy is to wait until the dust settles and some folks (with originals or repros) get tired of the game when they see most of their buddies have one to play as well. If it doesn't work out - I'll buy another title. Last one I bought was pretty nice for $6.75K so lets see how close we can get to that (eventually)

Scott

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Well they better choose the pin to re-make carefully then. IMO there are only a few pins out there to be remade that would sell a ton at $8K. Such as, CC, BBB, & MB.
Triumvirat73 beat me to it!

Im with you on this Dude. CC 8k...I will take it. MB 8k SOLD!! BBB 8K now where do i put this...

To Honch, You rate Fish Tales over MM so we are not on the same level. Nuff said. A shirt has nothing to do with how I spend my money.

#173 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

LTG said:

Really.
And how many did he sell ?

Looks like all 1000 to me, all at Expo for more money. His Patience paid off it appears.

All great news for all involved. Very happy for everyone

Bill

Umm, I was referring to Wayne's MM's, not PPS's.

#174 10 years ago

There will be a guy who rated MM a 1 and then when he receives his MMRLE it will be changed to a 10. Guaranteed.

#175 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Umm, I was referring to Wayne's MM's, not PPS's.

I know My reply was appropriate, they are one and the same MM

#176 10 years ago

Anyone who rates MM at 1.0 (<5.0 for that matter) is clearly just trying to manipulate the rankings or make a point.

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Anyone who rates MM at 1.0 (<5.0 for that matter) is clearly just trying to manipulate the rankings or make a point.

I'm pretty sure that was my point. Then when they finally get their hands on a new one for $8K they rate it a 10.

#178 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'm pretty sure that was my point. Then when they finally get their hands on a new one for $8K they rate it a 10.

well, i think these people are a small enough minority that they can be comfortably ignored. there's enough negativity around here without inventing more classes of people to disdain.

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

well, i think these people are a small enough minority that they can be comfortably ignored. there's enough negativity around here without inventing more classes of people to disdain.

My mother would never let me drop a teacher from grade school to high school because she wanted me to have to deal with all kinds of people. Just ignoring people will not work at your place of employment, public forums, etc.

It's part of life.

#180 10 years ago

Damn it how dare people actually like their newly acquired pins more than they thought they did in past ratings!! Just joking around egg.

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Damn it how dare people actually like their newly acquired pins more than they thought they did in past ratings!! Just joking around egg.

I know Dude...you're awesome man!

#182 10 years ago

So is anyone else gonna get to play the proto and offer opinions?

#183 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

My mother would never let me drop a teacher from grade school to high school because she wanted me to have to deal with all kinds of people. Just ignoring people will not work at your place of employment, public forums, etc.
It's part of life.

Just taught my son this lesson. Then a month later the teacher gets fired. HA!

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

There will be a guy who rated MM a 1 and then when he receives his MMRLE it will be changed to a 10. Guaranteed.

Or maybe even before he gets it.
10 by Christmas.

#185 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

It's part of life.

Works great on public forums, at work not so much.

#186 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

My mother would never let me drop a teacher from grade school to high school because she wanted me to have to deal with all kinds of people.

th-20.jpegth-20.jpeg

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I 'like' how the OP starts this thread then adds a sales pitch and bounces.
That's the dude I want to take my money.

I didn't take notice til you pointed it out. Pretty funny!

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Just wondering...
How many people NOT currently buying a MMR would have bought one for $7000? $6000? $5000? $4000?
-or-
How many people currently buying a MMR would have dropped out at $9000? $10000? 11000? 12000?

Well, I was invested in MM at $4500, and it wasn't even worth that to me to keep it. So there's that. Fun wise, it's probably a $2500-3000 game. (meaning the fun factor is equal to games in the price point.)

#189 10 years ago

MM is ok....no Scared Stiff....but ok....

#190 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

MM is ok....no Scared Stiff....but ok....

I had an SS and just couldn't get into it. To each their own I guess. I personally found Scared Stiff BORING.

#191 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Well, I was invested in MM at $4500, and it wasn't even worth that to me to keep it. So there's that. Fun wise, it's probably a $2500-3000 game. (meaning the fun factor is equal to games in the price point.)

It's no Fish Tales, I'll admit that

In all seriousness I'd agree, but $3000 that's about my maximum budget. If I could have any machine for XXX price it would probably be a MM. I like the theme, humor, toys, etc. My biggest complaint about it would be the rules. In some ways it's pretty simplistic.

I actually thing fun factor vs price is something worth discussing. I defiantly wouldn't put MM near the top of that list. What game(s) would be near the top your fun factor vs price list?

#192 10 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

I had an SS and just couldn't get into it. To each their own I guess. I personally found Scared Stiff BORING.

If your not into horror or Elvira, I can see where it may become a little flat for you. I love both, so to me its a great game.

#193 10 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

I had an SS and just couldn't get into it. To each their own I guess.

As you said...to each their own. I enjoy SS more than MM or AFM.

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

If your not into horror or Elvira, I can see where it may become a little flat for you. I love both, so to me its a great game.

Never thought I'd hear the words "Elvira" and "flat" in the same sentence...

#195 10 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

I'm with you on this one. Love the theme, the art, the callouts, the dots, the spider... but in the end the game is just too easy IMO. The TPA verision is RIDICULOUSLY easy, and the real thing it still not that much more difficult. The first time I played a real one after playing the TPA version, it took me all of three games to get and clear the Stiff-O-Meter.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballphil:

OK, First I'm a little reluctant to even post this and I'll try to explain why. I have been in the Home Arcade business full-time since 1978 and have never seen such a buzz about a new release before. My main business is home service calls and I am very busy in the Chicagoland area. I only say that because I am not a regular pinsider and don't really have time to get too involved. I can offer periodical updates. I've been dealing with Chicago Gaming for 20 years. I was involved since the beginning of this project as well as their successful Arcade Legends game. I personally know the owner of the factory producing this game and I can say that they are a very reputable company that have been in business for over 100 years. They build many cabinets for many coin-op brands. I've even seen an antique trade stimulator that had their name stamped on the cabinet inside. All this as a background for those that don't know me to understand why I have no reason to make this up but rather would like to share in my excitement.
Now for the best news!! I just played the prototype yesterday. It is awesome! It plays just like the original with their new electronics. It's still early in the stages but it is a phenomenal copy of the original. It is running with Williams software and their own new electronics. I will say from a technician's view, the new system is incredible. It will make service so easy. Connectors for switches, no lamp or switch matrix, interchangeable processor/driver boards, a reliable cpu, a lot less wires. Did I say a lot less wires, I mean like hardly any! As for reliability, these surface mount LED's and components have improved so dramatically, there is no reason to ever consider building a pinball the old way. As for the LED's, they look great! Their light fill the lenses completely, with a perfect hue and no strobing at all. The cabinet and playfield graphics looks better than any repro I've seen. I've seen it right next to an original.
Anybody that knows me knows this is true. I don't need to endorse anything and this pinball doesn't need me to help sell it. Obviously it sells itself. 1000 in 3 hours has to be a record. Major kudos to the crew at Chicago Gaming and Planetary Pinball, they hit a homerun!
Sincerely, Phil Hubbert @ Arcades At Home

A modular design like you are describing has advantages and disadvantages like everything. Sure, less wiring is certainly an advantage. However, you lose reliability with all the additional connections. It almost sounds like there will be no diagnostic system at all (if it is modular like you describe). Can you elaborate on the diagnostic system(s) at all?

#197 10 years ago

The new boards have less components so they produce less heat, this fact alone makes them much more reliable. Remember the home appliances from 20 years ago? The TVs,VCRs and PCs, remember how often they used to break? The old stuff was easier to repair but not more reliable. The diagnostics will be the same, switch rows and columns sort of like WOZ.

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The new boards have less components so they produce less heat, this fact alone makes them much more reliable. Remember the home appliances from 20 years ago? The TVs,VCRs and PCs, remember how often they used to break? The old stuff was easier to repair but not more reliable. The diagnostics will be the same, switch rows and columns sort of like WOZ.

*fewer* components, less heat...

Back on-topic: Will the lighting be the same lamp matrix or will it be converted to a serial-addressed lighting system?

#199 10 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

To Honch, You rate Fish Tales over MM so we are not on the same level.

Yes and agreed!!!

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I don't think you understand the advantage/disadvantage dynamic. The components are simply "spread out" in a modular design. There are less components on "the main board" or "driver board" or "head of the machine". They are instead, placed in the cabinet or under the playfield. This system has distinct advantages AND disadvantages over what companies like Stern produce.

This "advantage" you point out is not necessarily true. The heat is simply spread out better, not reduced or eliminated. The heat in the head is certainly changed/moved. However, it is only reduced if the power/transistors/coils/boards are more efficiently designed. Again, if they are better, that's great. I would like to also know the disadvantages. With new design, always comes new cost/diagnostics/reliability concerns.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is there is no such thing as a pinball machine that never breaks or requires service? I've never seen one in my life.

Unfortunately, a "NEW WAY" Solid State concept regarding the engineering of the pinball transistor/coils that "makes the magic happen" has not come to light in my lifetime. Sure, things have gotten better and more efficient (even with Stern) but you still have to have a cost effective way to mass produce a system to get those balls and coils do what you want them to do. I've seen technologies like pin2000 tried and fail. I am encouraged by JJ using a conceptually similar approach and, it seems to work very well for what they were trying to accomplish.

I am really curious to see if a modular design is successful. It is something I have ALWAYS thought about for years but have never really seen put in to practice until the last few years in pinball. (one-off custom pins come to mind)

Unless I'm missing something obvious here, please correct me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-played-the-new-medieval-madness-pinball-yesterday/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.