Spared no expense.jpg
Worth what we charge you.gif
image-941.jpg
147404.gif
MMR2.jpg
STP.png
n50cb650e9ae9b_large.gif
MMR.jpg
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

OK, First I'm a little reluctant to even post this and I'll try to explain why. I have been in the Home Arcade business full-time since 1978 and have never seen such a buzz about a new release before. My main business is home service calls and I am very busy in the Chicagoland area. I only say that because I am not a regular pinsider and don't really have time to get too involved. I can offer periodical updates. I've been dealing with Chicago Gaming for 20 years. I was involved since the beginning of this project as well as their successful Arcade Legends game. I personally know the owner of the factory producing this game and I can say that they are a very reputable company that have been in business for over 100 years. They build many cabinets for many coin-op brands. I've even seen an antique trade stimulator that had their name stamped on the cabinet inside. All this as a background for those that don't know me to understand why I have no reason to make this up but rather would like to share in my excitement.

Now for the best news!! I just played the prototype yesterday. It is awesome! It plays just like the original with their new electronics. It's still early in the stages but it is a phenomenal copy of the original. It is running with Williams software and their own new electronics. I will say from a technician's view, the new system is incredible. It will make service so easy. Connectors for switches, no lamp or switch matrix, interchangeable processor/driver boards, a reliable cpu, a lot less wires. Did I say a lot less wires, I mean like hardly any! As for reliability, these surface mount LED's and components have improved so dramatically, there is no reason to ever consider building a pinball the old way. As for the LED's, they look great! Their light fill the lenses completely, with a perfect hue and no strobing at all. The cabinet and playfield graphics looks better than any repro I've seen. I've seen it right next to an original.

Anybody that knows me knows this is true. I don't need to endorse anything and this pinball doesn't need me to help sell it. Obviously it sells itself. 1000 in 3 hours has to be a record. Major kudos to the crew at Chicago Gaming and Planetary Pinball, they hit a homerun!
Sincerely, Phil Hubbert @ Arcades At Home

#2 10 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Makes me feel even better about my mmle!

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballphil:

OK, First I'm a little reluctant to even post this and I'll try to explain why. I have been in the Home Arcade business full-time since 1978 and have never seen such a buzz about a new release before. My main business is home service calls and I am very busy in the Chicagoland area. I only say that because I am not a regular pinsider and don't really have time to get too involved. I can offer periodical updates. I've been dealing with Chicago Gaming for 20 years. I was involved since the beginning of this project as well as their successful Arcade Legends game. I personally know the owner of the factory producing this game and I can say that they are a very reputable company that have been in business for over 100 years. They build many cabinets for many coin-op brands. I've even seen an antique trade stimulator that had their name stamped on the cabinet inside. All this as a background for those that don't know me to understand why I have no reason to make this up but rather would like to share in my excitement.
Now for the best news!! I just played the prototype yesterday. It is awesome! It plays just like the original with their new electronics. It's still early in the stages but it is a phenomenal copy of the original. It is running with Williams software and their own new electronics. I will say from a technician's view, the new system is incredible. It will make service so easy. Connectors for switches, no lamp or switch matrix, interchangeable processor/driver boards, a reliable cpu, a lot less wires. Did I say a lot less wires, I mean like hardly any! As for reliability, these surface mount LED's and components have improved so dramatically, there is no reason to ever consider building a pinball the old way. As for the LED's, they look great! Their light fill the lenses completely, with a perfect hue and no strobing at all. The cabinet and playfield graphics looks better than any repro I've seen. I've seen it right next to an original.
Anybody that knows me knows this is true. I don't need to endorse anything and this pinball doesn't need me to help sell it. Obviously it sells itself. 1000 in 3 hours has to be a record. Major kudos to the crew at Chicago Gaming and Planetary Pinball, they hit a homerun!
Sincerely, Phil Hubbert @ Arcades At Home

In your honest opinion does it seem like $8,000 worth of a machine?
It just seems with so much stuff reduced, I.e., wires, boards and R&D that $8000 would give you something way and beyond just a replica of a MM.

#5 10 years ago

thanks for your views. can't wait to see photos of the new boardset and this radically reduced wiring under the playfield.
Not buying one but only because I owned one for 4 years and really played it to death.
COngrats to the people getting one. Never thought I'd see the day.

D

#6 10 years ago

as we often say on klov...
photos, or it didn't happen

#7 10 years ago

That's great to hear! Thanks for taking the time to post this.

#8 10 years ago

Thank you for the info !

LTG : )

#9 10 years ago

Great to hear! Thanks for sharing!

#10 10 years ago

Good to know. I was concerned about the authenticity since CG is using a unique hardware platform.

#11 10 years ago

Sound too good but happy things are going great

#12 10 years ago

It had better play better than the original for that price....

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It had better play better than the original for that price....

It did, he just didn't want to hurt anyones feelings

#14 10 years ago

Does it have more parts than a Ford Taurus?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Does it have more parts than a Ford Taurus?

Quoted from pinballphil:

a lot less wires. Did I say a lot less wires, I mean like hardly any!

Cost of production savings abound!

If they could sell these for $3k back in the day to make a profit, who wants to guess what the per-unit build cost is on one MMR?

#16 10 years ago

great to hear your insight on the prototype. thanks.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

If they could sell these for $3k back in the day to make a profit, who wants to guess what the per-unit build cost is on one MMR?

Who cares what PPS makes on the game. Good for them to buy the licenses and setup the production for a classic title like MM. I hope they make a million on the remakes, as they have made a few thousand people very happy.

#18 10 years ago

I have no problem with them making money I just want to know the game doesn't need additional upgrades like speaker system, plastic protectors and such. For the money they are charging the games should be "upgraded" with these items, IMO of course.

#19 10 years ago

Sounds like your typical 5 star google product review to me surely objective with not one negative and even the negatives of the short comings are positives way to spin baby.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Who cares what PPS makes on the game. Good for them to buy the licenses and setup the production for a classic title like MM. I hope they make a million on the remakes, as they have made a few thousand people very happy.

+1.
I usually don't mind when someone with a great idea - and the guts to make it a reality - profits a bit for their endeavor. This whole thing took a vision, foresight, risk, a gut-check, investment and then a promise to deliver. Helluva lot better than some corporate raider squeezing profits out of human capital by downsizing and laying people off. Or some flipper gouging a newb for a routed pos or a fake HUO. Congrats to PPS. Many happy returns!

I don't begrudge Stern their profits either. I do begrudge them for crappy QC and retarded code release management.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I hope they make a million on the remakes

, they already have made a million just off of the pre-order payment. But let's assume the profit margin per-pin is $4,000 dollars, they made $4,000,000 profit just off the 'LE' run...

But hey, "let's charge the same price for the newly announced 'standards' (still at a $4,000 per-unit profit)," sell two-thousand more games. New profit on remake $12,000,000.

I'm all for them making millions, but this recent BS of $8k being reasonable for any pinball machine is just getting hilarious with everyone rushing to get into the dick measuring contest.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

But let's assume the profit margin per-pin is $4,000 dollars,

I seriously doubt they are making $4K a pin on this deal.

#23 10 years ago

^What would you guess the build total is? I'm not trying to be an ass, but am genuinely interested.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

^What would you guess the build total is? I'm not trying to be an ass, but am genuinely interested.

There was a time the manufacturer made about $500 and distributor made about $500 a unit.

If Stern, JJP, or PPS made $1K a unit, I'd be surprised. More than likely less.

If you could make more, more companies would be popping up.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you could make more, more companies would be popping up.

And prior companies would get back into the pin business as well..

$500 a machine is a nice profit as well .. Just think - how many Star Trek's do you think they'll sell total? Let's be very conservative and say 1500. That would still be $750k profit, on just that machine alone. 2-3 machines a year, around +/- $1.5-$2 million in profit per year ... I'll take that business model.

#26 10 years ago

Not having to employ people to fully code/program from ground up, and tweak PF layout multiple times has to be saving them a ton of moola compared to Stern and JJP. Skit-B has to be loosing their shirt selling at $4750...

I have a hard time believing remake costs are anywhere near current market prices.

#27 10 years ago

What ever they make they're welcomed to it but I think if Stern sells the pro model for 4800.00 and makes a decent profit, then selling a game at 8k will net some where in 3-4K. There was some discussion about this before when Vid and other were discussing making their own MM, if I remember correctly it was estimated to cost 6-7K for an individual to make an MM, so with the economies of scale of a company that orders 1000's of parts that number would be in the 4K region, but I could be wrong.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Not having to employ people to fully code/program from ground up, and tweak PF layout multiple times has to be saving them a ton of moola compared to Stern and JJP. Skit-B has to be loosing their shirt selling at $4750...
I have a hard time believing remake costs are anywhere near current market prices.

Let's say code costs $30,000 to develop (not really working it from scratch - templates are available), and playfield tweaking another $30,000 (mostly labor). Sounds like a lot of money, $60k. With 2,000 machines being made - that only comes to an additional cost of $30 per machine. Heck even if you put code at $50,000, and playfield tweaking at $50,000 for a total of $100k - that's still only $50 per machine @ 2000 quantity.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I seriously doubt they are making $4K a pin on this deal.

I realize things can be adjusted for inflation, but Wayne had it priced to make a profit at 5k 5 years ago. PPS has streamlined the process and added a 3k bump.

If you really want to compare BOM on pinball machines, look at what WOZ sells for compared to this. So I don't know about the 500 for machine as you have to adjust for inflation on profit as well.

Not that any of this matters as Rick is entitled to get a return on his investment. He took the chance in purchasing the rights to Williams, and he obviously priced it right as it sold out in 3 hours with people waiting. An argument can be made that he could have charged more as that was the quickest sell out in the history of pinball. The rights holder for Williams making a profit is a good thing for the pinball hobby.

The good news is that somebody that has actually played has a favorable review. That bodes well for MMR buyers. So far everybody else has just speculated on how this will play, and there will be other opinions later, but for now, at its early stages, it seems like people will be happy with their purchase.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I realize things can be adjusted for inflation, but Wayne had it priced to make a profit at 5k 5 years ago.

Really.

And how many did he sell ?

#31 10 years ago

Vaporware has high margins.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And how many did he make ?

Fixed it for you as I think he sold 1k- Is PPS honoring his price by reproducing the MM?

What about WOZ, and their pricing with their BOM?

Again, all that matters is it seems that this time it is going to be a happy ending for MMR buyers. I was a buyer for Wayne's reproduction and I am curious what would have happened if I stayed in. Would PPS have honored Wayne's price, or would I have to get a refund and put that towards PPS' machine?

#33 10 years ago

Is this the same company that produced the Vacation America pinball?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4848

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Dont forget inflation, cause back in the day raw materials were a fraction of what they cost now.

#36 10 years ago

The Williams factory in its day was producing 300 games a day. The economies of scale would be significant.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

In your honest opinion does it seem like $8,000 worth of a machine?
It just seems with so much stuff reduced, I.e., wires, boards and R&D that $8000 would give you something way and beyond just a replica of a MM.

Why would they? Nobody gives up $8k worth of machine now. It only costs that, because people are willing to pay that.

#38 10 years ago

For full disclosure, Phil looks like he only starts threads when he is selling something, and he is selling these machines.

#39 10 years ago

does it have the home roms?

home roms with coin play?

surface mount LED's?? There is a new hardware system stern game on test that had some go bad and they need to replace the full board they are on to fix it.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Fixed it for you as I think he sold 1k

When and where did Wayne ever make and sell 1,000 MM's ?

Outside of one he supposedly made for himself ?, I've never heard of a single person getting one of his remakes with the Bally logo.

Been coming and promised for many years, lots of pictures of parts and equipment. I've never seen one game or heard of anyone getting one.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

k

Never.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He never made any- I never said that. I said he sold 1k and he made money off some of those sales. That is why I corrected your comment of "make" to "sell".

He sold 1k of MM with deposits of 2500 and had the money in an account. He still made money off of investors as when many pulled out, including myself, as the exchange rate was higher and I settled for a lesser amount to get my money back. I lost money on the "sale".

I don't know how many this happened to, but it did happen to me.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

For full disclosure, Phil looks like he only starts threads when he is selling something, and he is selling these machines.

Pump and dump. A pinside tradition.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

He never made any- I never said that.

I apologize, I misunderstood you.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Is PPS honoring his price by reproducing the MM?

No idea, I don't speak for PPS.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Is PPS honoring his price by reproducing the MM?

Quoted from LTG:

No idea, I don't speak for PPS.

I know, I was just putting it out for discussion. As that seed money helped make this happen. If the BOM is as low as people are claiming, yet the quality is still there like the OP states, I hope the people that still have deposits tied up end up a MMR for the price they signed up for.

It was mentioned in the original MMR thread, but I did not see particulars.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

I think there's a difference between designing their own home machine from scratch for the home market (which admittedly was a piece of shit) & being contracted to re-build an existing game with WMS quality mechs, parts & toys. Sure, the electronics are being redesigned...but everything that flips & moves will be as it always has been....so - no reason to think Vacation America's flaws should have any bearing on MMr.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

but this recent BS of $8k being reasonable for any pinball machine is just getting hilarious

I thought the exact same thing. 8K doesn't seem reasonable and I'm surprised so many people think it's a good deal. I guess time will tell. Price aside, I wouldn't be shocked if the new MMR plays as well or even better than the original.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I thought the exact same thing. 8K doesn't seem reasonable and I'm surprised so many people think it's a good deal. I guess time will tell. Price aside, I wouldn't be shocked if the new MMR plays as well or even better than the original.

Get a NIB MM for 8k or a routed beater for 12k+

Regardless of the cost to make that's a good deal. Then compare the price of a nib original mm 20k+? The new machine is a downright bargain

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

routed beater for 12k

Nobody was getting 12K for a beater.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-played-the-new-medieval-madness-pinball-yesterday and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.