(Topic ID: 67224)

I Played Star Trek Pro This Weekend and...

By davewtf

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BillP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Edit: I realize I'm a d-bag for being critical of a new game so early on. Sorry to all that can't handle my first take on the game.

it played alot like a clunky spiderman. any other opinions on the matter?

Hey, it sounds like a troll thread (actually just my honest opinion) but at least it's not another MMR thread.

#2 10 years ago

I thought it plays like an especially smooth Spiderman, personally.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I thought it plays like an especially smooth spiderman, personally.

maybe i just couldn't hit the shots. left ramp was difficult for me.

#4 10 years ago

Very fast and fun... just what you expect from Stern.

#5 10 years ago

I thought it played smoother than Spider-Man. I liked it much more than I expected to. I think I played Star Trek more than any other pin at Expo.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

it played alot like a clunky spiderman. any other opinions on the matter?
Hey, it's a troll thread (actually just my honest opinion) but at least it's not another MMR thread.

PLAY BETTER!

Thought it played fast, smooth. The design is similar to Spider-Man, no doubt, but I didn't feel like it played the same. That warp ramp is like lightning at how fast the ball comes back at you. Made the Venom upper flipper shot look like the ramp on Cyclone.

#7 10 years ago

I have played it and didn't like it one bit.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

maybe i just couldn't hit the shots. left ramp was difficult for me.

Did you backhand the ramp? Felt like it was an easy backhand, similar to ACDC left ramp.

#9 10 years ago

Bump to get away from the MMR craziness

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Do you like any games?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Do you like any games?

Evidently not, he doesn't own any...

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Do you like any games?

Yes I do.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Evidently not, he doesn't own any...

I have owned my share.

#14 10 years ago

I liked it enough to consider getting a pro. I was almost on board for an LE then I sobered up. On gin it seemed like a great idea. I just don't have enough scratch to swing an LE.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

What didn't you like about it?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Did you backhand the ramp?

no, the game backhanded me. i do need to play better, i think. when you get your's?

#17 10 years ago

It felt like too many games I have played before.

#18 10 years ago

I played it. It's a good machine for flow people.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

no, the game backhanded me. i do need to play better, i think. when you get your's?

Come over when I get the LE. Then decide.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

It felt like too many games I have played before.

My group of 4 put around 30 plays each and all said the same thing. Its just ok imho

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

My group of 4 put around 30 plays each and all said the same thing. Its just ok imho

Oh you were the guys everyone was talking about hogging the games.

#22 10 years ago

It was the highlight of the show to me.....

#23 10 years ago

I played it for a few games and actually it was better than I imagined and I ordered the LE. I think it is very fun. I also put high score #4 up on my first game ever which was luck but, fun.

#24 10 years ago

I'm going to hold of until the Star Trek reissue....oh, wait....

#25 10 years ago

Game plays great. It's the code that worries me. If Stern is doing 6 games in 18 months then code should worry everyone. That release schedule if true is absolutely crazy.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Game plays great. It's the code that worries me. If Stern is doing 6 games in 18 months then code should worry everyone. That release schedule if true is absolutely crazy.

aGREED

Last finished game from Stern was???

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

aGREED
Last finished game from Stern was???

Define finished?

Avengers is finished
Xmen is finished
Tron is finished
TF is finished
ACDC is finished

Polished...now that's another story.

#28 10 years ago

X-men?

Missing Dead Pool that's in the adjustments is finished?

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Define finished?
Avengers is finished
Xmen is finished
Tron is finished
TF is finished
ACDC is finished

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Define finished?
Avengers is finished
Xmen is finished
Tron is finished
TF is finished
ACDC is finished

ACDC...

What do the non working flashers do?
How many things can you shoot the cannon at?
The bell, I'm sure it's supposed to do more right?
The lower PF cannot be fully implemented right?

Stern wants polished money, I want polished code.

TF, TAV & XM.... Lmfao!!!

MET & ACDC are my next additions if coded 100%.

If code is not finished I guess I will get a RBION & SM

Either way I get a new game or two for the same total cost

Edit: SKB don't wig out on me I'm just pinball talk'n with ya

#30 10 years ago

I thought it was a good pin. DMD graphics are kind of a joke....

#31 10 years ago

Wife daughter and I played it at Expo and at Pinballlife open house (Thanks Terry!). Anyway we loved it, very fast, love the ramp shots. We all where surprised at how big the Vengence ship was..which even after hearing how big it is...it looks bigger in real life. Hard to see the entire effect of the RGB LED's in such a well lit room but still they where good not overpowering. Playfield was so so not as horrible as I first thought on the pictures but not as nice as Metallica

I liked it better than Spiderman myself, but Spiderman is a bit to slow for me with all the ball locks.

#32 10 years ago

I played it for the first time this weekend at expo. I was very impressed. yeah, it needs some more code. but I think its got a great start. once code is finished, it should be an amazing game. its got incredible flow, just the way I like it.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

SKB don't wig out on me I'm just pinball talk'n with ya

Don't do it bro....don't do it....don't make me wig out!!

Now you've done it...
image.jpgimage.jpg

Btw; I'd take ACDC and its code over any game in the world...scratch that; over any game in the universe!

#34 10 years ago

I played it this weekend too and fist impressions agree with davewth. Did I just type that?

The playfield artwork was a bit of a letdown. The dot work - not a fan. Did anyone compare the dot work in new BOP versus ST? ST looked like the amateur version (no offense Dutch). I'm sure I'm in the minority but would have rather seen movie scenes. Sounds were very cool and did have some ramp flow. The warp ramp is fast coming back at you. But the center shot, while tight, was odd. You hit the drop target, shoot back up middle and drop target comes back up to capture ball? Why didn't the magnet hold it or something.

Code is early but I was left after 5 games like I've played it before. Code still needs work and light show in LE may take it up a notch. Happy to have another pin with great theme from Stern/Ritchie but wasn't blown away - yet.

#35 10 years ago

I was talking to Steve Ritchie and he said did you notice we are running new code on Star Trek at EXPO?
Since this was the first time playing it, I didn't notice anything different, but apparently it was version 1.25 if I recall.

I really enjoyed the game and played it many times over the past 4 days. Great game.

#36 10 years ago

One of the best flowing games ever. No question. I'm not buying one and agree the layout is similar to other games but it is not clunky in my view at all. Smooth game.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

ACDC...
What do the non working flashers do?
How many things can you shoot the cannon at?
The bell, I'm sure it's supposed to do more right?
The lower PF cannot be fully implemented right?
Stern wants polished money, I want polished code.

these are the 5 things needed to just finish. polish would be well after these 5

Bill

#38 10 years ago

I guess the point of the upper flipper ramp shot is speed, but it would be good to have the option of adding the metal piece that brings the ball in tight on the flipper, like on SM's upper flipper shot. Hope people know what I'm talking about?

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

but it is not clunky in my view at all. Smooth game.

Well over half the times you make the warp ramp it ounces back to the shorter lane. Thats clunky.

#40 10 years ago

My first impression isn't a final verdict by any means. I need more time on it for sure.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

But the center shot, while tight, was odd. You hit the drop target, shoot back up middle and drop target comes back up to capture ball? Why didn't the magnet hold it or something.

I would like to see this improved as well, it would be way better if the magnet held it rather than just sitting on either side of the drop target until it's released.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Well over half the times you make the warp ramp it ounces back to the shorter lane. Thats clunky.

Hrm, that's not my experience at ALL. Warp Ramp was smooth as butter. Could be a setup thing.

-Wes

#43 10 years ago

ST certainly looks fast & smooth, can't deny it.

#44 10 years ago

Plays absolutely nothing like SM IMO. Not sure where 'clunky' comment comes from as the design is straight forward fan layout with fairly wide ramp entrances both of which can be backhanded. But as always to each their own.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Plays absolutely nothing like SM IMO.

As an owner of SM, and a hopeful eventual owner of ST (maintaining my commitment of not buying NIB until code is done), I agree with this. I thought for sure they would play the same, but the upper flipper dynamic is completely different, and the fact that there is no ball lock like doc ock on the Pro makes it feel VERY dissimilar to SM. I'm keeping my eyes on ST, maybe will pick one up eventually.

-Wes

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Hwawonyu said:

Hrm, that's not my experience at ALL. Warp Ramp was smooth as butter. Could be a setup thing.

-Wes

Any ideas? I will look at it. Its perfectly level. Probably the thing that gets me most teed off. Well that and the ball always sticking below the pop bumpers on the ledge.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Plays absolutely nothing like SM IMO. Not sure where 'clunky' comment comes from as the design is straight forward fan layout with fairly wide ramp entrances both of which can be backhanded. But as always to each their own.

X2

#48 10 years ago

I played 2 games on it and currently have NO desire to play it again. Hopefully the code gets better but nothing can helps those dots or how clunky it felt to me.

I need more time on it in a better setting so I can actually experience the game but at this stage I like pretty much every other recent Stern better.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I played 2 games on it and currently have NO desire to play it again. Hopefully the code gets better but nothing can helps those dots or how clunky it felt to me.
I need more time on it in a better setting so I can actually experience the game but at this stage I like pretty much every other recent Stern better.

Just watched PAPATV. It didn't look clunky at all.

#50 10 years ago

There is one at a local pizza place. I thought it was pretty awesome!
Definitely the newest machine I have ever played so that might have something to do with it.

Not too many toys, the playfield didn't have too many crappy photoshopped looking things on it. I enjoyed the lighting. It felt pretty solid though it was new. I thought it had a pretty good flow, but I have yet to have a game I was pleased with. Not too many cheap drains.

I will be back for more and am pleased to support someone who went out of their way to put a great new game out on location.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Marshfield, MO
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-played-star-trek-pro-this-weekend-and and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.