Eating-Popcorn-3-michael-jackson-21626.gif
image.jpg
camarocarplace_com_3_Small.jpg
tumblr_lss8vxmfH31r4wwzvo1_500.jpg
th.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_1331.jpg
images.jpg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

LOL! Pinheads unite, lets get this back on topic.
Hilton, I bet if you played Metallica in a home setting with a subwoofer and cleaned up, it would be much more enjoyable. I also played Metallica pro and it wasnt set up well on the showroom floor but I could see the potential in it. Then again Ive really not played any well oiled pin and disliked the gameplay, even SWE1!!!
Completely agree on the artwork, they knocked it out the park on this title.

Yeah, I am sure in a home environment I will enjoy it more. I actually like the pin (I like them all), but compared to many other titles it fell flat IMHO. I have the ability to call it like I see it without having my judgement clouded by $$$ like so many others.

I also do not need to resort to name calling a homophobic tendencies to get my point across, unlike my favorite troll.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Different strokes for different folks. I've gotten a lot of plays on all models of Metallica and I think it is a home run by Borg & Stern. At California Extreme most that played it said they really enjoyed it.

There the perfect post agree to disagree . hey Dude I like your style..

#103 10 years ago

Trick or treat!

th.jpegth.jpeg

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

No, I admittedly rated a game I have played, just not the LE version which contains the same ruleset and layout with just the addition of some spinners and a giant hammer. Whoopteeedoo

You haven't played Metallica LE. Period. How did the Pro casket Multiball play? Tell me about that scoring. Did you shoot for the loops on Fuel to ring up spinner points? How did the snake mouth drop work on that Pro? Same game and all.

You wanted to smoke both and you did. Congrats. You got your rating in via a horse shit excuse. The reputation and credibility of this place are well deserved.

#105 10 years ago

"Relax... It's only pinball".

-Rudy

#106 10 years ago

The only thing I have to wonder is ...

How does one rate a game that isn't finished? When the game is finished, do you go back and change your rating?

#107 10 years ago

They're not the same game, the LE/Prem is worse than the Pro IMHO. Others may disagree. Either way, to rate it without playing is stupid, they just don't feel the same.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not only is Metallica hard as f*ck, the ramps on Metallica whip back to the flippers faster than pretty much any game, IMO.

I wouldn't call Metallica hard. It's a fun game to play but it's not hard. And I think ToM has faster whip-backs.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Like I said, he can't be trusted...

How so? Did he kick you in your vagina when you werent looking?

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

"Relax... It's only pinball".
-Rudy

The voice of reason in the midst of the insanity that is caused by some's addiction to pinball.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

How does one rate a game that isn't finished? When the game is finished, do you go back and change your rating?

The only thing I wonder...
How does one sell a game that isn't finished?

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Same guys giving me shit have rated METLE even though it does not have finished code. IF all of them go delete their rating, then I will delete mine!

I would bet good money that the current code vs finished code on LE is a much bigger difference to game play than the pro features vs LE features. When I play the LE (soon) I will go adjust my ratings as I see fit. Others will just adjust his ratings when the next LE drops so it will the the hot chick on the block so he can flip it for more $.

It is pretty obvious to some of these guys that the only thing which matters to them is 'protecting' their investment and flipping NIB games for as much as possible. Unfortunately, these same people also believe that noobs are their greatest prey and noobs often rely on the pinside ratings to buy what is hot.

Thunderking (10.0) TeeKee (9.76) both have rated the LE a perfect game or near perfect and the code is far from done>>> OH the OUTRAGE

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thunderking (10.0) TeeKee (9.76) both have rated the LE a perfect game or near perfect and the code is far from done>>> OH the OUTRAGE

At least we played it! Give it any rating you want just play it first! At least try to have some credibility here!

#114 10 years ago

I played MET and feel justified in rating both pinside versions (Pro and LE/Prem). I made adjustments for the LE rating as I currently see fit based on the FEW categories of difference between the Pro and LE.

If you have issue with my rating of the LE then you should also take offense to your own rating since you rated on the initial code and the game has changed dramatically already and is obviously far from the final code even in its current state.

You are obviously just trolling as usual and looking for any chance to sling mud towards me since your own credibility is crap and you have become the laughing stock of pinside regarding your price expertise and constant flipping of NIB games.

#115 10 years ago

I had a Premium Monster in my house for almost a week, getting it dialed in before it went on location at Replay Lounge in Lawrence.

/sacrilege While I don't personally care for the band Metallica, /sacrilege off

...it is a fun pin to play and I think my 8.4 rating is pretty dead on. The software has a long way to go and will determine if it ends up just a "fun" pin or a "great" pin and I'll adjust my rating once it's finished.

The callouts just don't fit though. The hammer? The ball would start to drop, like it was flinching away from the hammer before the hammer came down. That effect needs work and will raise my rating it it gets fixed up. Needs better sound effects too. That outer loop post is just badly designed/implemented. Sure, you can fix that yourself with a metal post but then, that's not what we're rating here is it? We're rating the machine as it comes from the factory.

Tons of really good stuff in this pin, but it's absolutely NOT perfect.

It's a shame as I think it's the best *artwork* that Stern has ever done, playfield, cab and translight.

#116 10 years ago

Oops, i just realized i rated WOZ LE and i played a standard. Honest mistake?

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

The only thing I wonder...
How does one sell a game that isn't finished?

That's a question for pretty much every pinball manufacturer of SS machines, ever.

#118 10 years ago

A ton of people feel this way, but don't post about it because you end up with the BS that's ensued here. The few people who love this game are really loud about it. If you love it, good for you. Now that everyone and their mother is a Stern distributor there is a lot more bashing on people hating on Stern games. It's just the new "positive minded" Pinside I guess.

BTW, I disagree with your opinion on the art, I think it's dumb. I get why it's like that, but I don't like it. Other than that, spot on review. The game is extremely meh.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Everything else was, well... just MEH.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

BTW, I disagree with your opinion on the art, I think it's dumb. I get why it's like that, but I don't like it. Other than that, spot on review. The game is extremely meh.

Disagree with the art assessment but no sweat, great post Jalpert!

#120 10 years ago

PUSHEAD, FTW.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

That's a question for pretty much every pinball manufacturer of SS machines, ever.

Not really, bug fix updates are very different from unfinished game updated

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The few people who love this game are really loud about it.

So what?

You can say the opposite about several pins too, including MET:

"The few people who hate this game are really loud about it".

What does it prove?

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Not really, bug fix updates are very different from unfinished game updated

One person's bug is another person's unfinished game.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I wouldn't call Metallica hard. It's a fun game to play but it's not hard. And I think ToM has faster whip-backs.

I said "pretty much" ...yeah, TOM might be one of the fastest, flowiest games ever - although it's rarely talked about in that respect. It's often Ritchie getting the kudos for speed and flow...and I think Metallica is faster and flowier than most Ritchie games. ...but I do think Metallica is hard. A shot to the standups will smack the ball back so fast and often down the drain. The left inlane/outlane metal guards just love to roll the ball right out. The grave standups are tricky as they can often send the ball right down the middle. The left side fuel lane shot is tricky to aim for. Stock settings make it very hard to collect the hurry ups and get to Seek & Destroy.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

One person's bug is another person's unfinished game.

I guess you could say that but...I have found over the years that trying to determine if some of the newer Stern games were good by playing them earlier on was near impossible. I had an early TDK machine and even though some of the toys looked cool, the gameplay sucked. I did not realize how unfinished the code was and sold it. I think the later finished code made that game much better.

I, like RareHero (not sure if that was from this thread but am too lazy to search his recent quote), am growing tired of speculating on new machines when some work out and others are dogs. I have a MET Pro in my garage right now and think the toys and ramps are interesting but gameplay seems lacking but do believe code updates will help this one. I have not committed to buying it however and in its present state would not do so.

I think for people who are starting their collection or for those who have infinite room for collections and would collect almost anything, speculation on whether the code will improve a game is probably moot. But for those of us with mature collections who are deciding whether to trade a position in our line ups, this type of speculation is getting tiring and unfortunately we will just have to wait until a machine establishes itself and pay a premium price if it makes it big. This holds true for most of us more silent collectors except the aggressive buyer/seller collector who will speculate and sell if the machine is not up to their standard. I, for one, do not have the time or patience for this type of collecting but envy those that do.

Back to my point, I believe a bug does not inhibit my ability to see the gameplay and depth of a game as severly as substantial unfinished code. This difference makes it difficult for me to decide on a game early in its life and as a result I may have to pay premium mark ups to purchase some of these Stern games in the future if they work out. Just a pet peeve of mine, but for others, I understand why it may not be such a problem

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

I guess you could say that but...I have found over the years that trying to determine if some of the newer Stern games were good by playing them earlier on was near impossible.

Hence, why I said, and agree with you ...

Quoted from smokedog:

#127 10 years ago

Quoted from RobT:

So what?

You can say the opposite about several pins too, including MET:

"The few people who hate this game are really loud about it".

What does it prove?

#128 10 years ago

When people stop buying unfinished games, Stern will stop releasing unfinished games.

Yes, I bought an unfinished game and it payed off, but I knew I was taking a risk.

Quoted from GoldenBear:

But for those of us with mature collections who are deciding whether to trade a position in our line ups, this type of speculation is getting tiring and unfortunately we will just have to wait until a machine establishes itself and pay a premium price if it makes it big.

#129 10 years ago

People are excited about the game because of the potential. It's at best right now, average in terms of playability or depth, but the layout is decent, the toys are there ready to be fully used. The reason I think people are hyping things is because even in it's basic setup now, it's fun just maybe not mind blowing. I like this 'beta' metallica way way more than 'beta' ACDC. ACDC needed code to make it what it is today - I totally disliked it at the start. I don't have the same issue with Metallica - it's fun even without software propping it up so imagine how it will be fully fleshed out.

For the casual player, theres plenty to love, plenty of shots that feel fun and satisfying. This is where the pinheads go 'meh, I made all the shots now what'. Rewind to ACDC's release - it was unimpressive to anyone but a guy dropping a few bucks in. People were like 'wtf thats it?' Fast forward to now - 'omgwtfbbq best game evar'.

Things will change, maybe even for the worse but probably for the better. I'm excited in the potential because even if you turned all the features off, the shots are fun, fast, and rewarding. The game just needs polish.

#130 10 years ago

So what if people are loud about thoroughly enjoying a pinball machine? I thought that was what this hobby was all about? I'd rather hear people enjoying a machine then all the negativity that finds it's way into almost all the threads.

Metallica has a ton going for it. The layout is great if you like an open field fan layout which I do. The stand up targets and grave-maker are a challenge and fun. Sparky and the multiball start is one of the best toys in pinball IMO. The ramps are in great spots for flow but still keeping it a challenge. The snake and hammer are pretty cool features as well IMO. I love the pin and many others that I have seen playing it seemed to be as well. I know not everyone will like the same pins but it seems like some here want people to apologize for liking a pin that they don't care for.

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

So what if people are loud about thoroughly enjoying a pinball machine? I thought that was what this hobby was all about? I'd rather hear people enjoying a machine then all the negativity that finds it's way into almost all the threads.

Well that just makes too much sense...

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

When people stop buying unfinished games, Stern will stop releasing unfinished games.
Yes, I bought an unfinished game and it payed off, but I knew I was taking a risk.

Seems the other option is to buy a game that takes 3 years to take Delivery. I guess I'll take my unfinished Stern & wait the few months it takes for code updates. You can go on waiting 3 years to take delivery of your "Finished & complete game".....Oh wait nevermind about that last part.

#133 10 years ago

If you are referring to WOZ, you're just wrong. The amount of time Stern would take to finish some code, and the amount of time JJ took to create an entirely new platform are not the same.

Quoted from smassa:

Seems the other option is to buy a game that takes 3 years to take Delivery. I guess I'll take my unfinished Stern & wait the few months it takes for code updates. You can go on waiting 3 years to take delivery of your "Finished & complete game".....Oh wait nevermind about that last part.

#134 10 years ago

Answer: It takes one... two... three*CRUNCH* pages for a thread to devolve into a WOZ argument.

tumblr_lss8vxmfH31r4wwzvo1_500.jpgtumblr_lss8vxmfH31r4wwzvo1_500.jpg

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If you are referring to WOZ, you're just wrong. The amount of time Stern would take to finish some code, and the amount of time JJ took to create an entirely new platform are not the same.

Can we compare how long it took Jack and How long it took Stern to make sam 2.0?

#136 10 years ago

Yes, when we are bitching about a sam 2.0 game and how long the software is taking to come around.

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Can we compare how long it took Jack and How long it took Stern to make sam 2.0?

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I first heard of sam 2.0 in July 2011. I'm guessing it probably started a few months before that. But, at least for sam 2.0 I would assume they are able to reuse probably 90% of their code.

SAM 1.0 (100% new code) started during TSPP development (guessing late 2002) and WPT came out the start of 2006.

#138 10 years ago

You know damn well Sopranos was running on sam in house first.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

So now that the platform is finished I'm assuming the code is complete on WoZ for those that have taken delivery? That is what your implying correct?

#140 10 years ago

I don't even understand what you are saying.

Quoted from smassa:

So now that the platform is finished I'm assuming the code is complete on WoZ for those that have taken delivery? That is what your implying correct?

You said you'd rather buy a Stern with unfinished code and have it today than wait 3 years for delivery. I'm assuming you were referring to WOZ.

All I did was point out, that you can't compare the wait for code, to the wait for an entirely new system, hardware, boardset, company etc.

When JJ releases game #2 compare them all you want. Otherwise, it's just dumb.

Quoted from smassa:

#141 10 years ago

Back on topic, maybe?

To the OP, sorry you weren't blown away by Metallica. I can see how if conditions aren't right that you might not be all that excited by it, but luckily my first introduction happened on several perfectly set up and clean machines.

I don't know how the game could ever be defined as slow. Everything you do puts the ball back at your flippers in fairly short order. The ramps are blazing fast. I don't know what really could hold the ball up aside from it sitting in the pops for a bit, but I'd never refer to active pops as something that slows a game down.

As for the difficulty, I think it's a real challenging game if you have a proper slope and tilt. With a tight tilt, that left outlane is a real ball hog. Multiballs take A LOT of control to maintain for any good amount of time. Combos on the left and right ramps are harder than lots of other games that let you do the same.

Sure, there's not a ton to do outside of progressing to and through the multiballs, but knowing how to trigger them at the right times and how to make the multiball as effective as possible matters a lot.

I don't think there's such thing as a game that should be universally loved, Metallica included. But if we're going to point at flaws on the game (and there are some), low speed and easy difficulty are the last two I'd bring up.

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I don't even understand what you are saying.

You said you'd rather buy a Stern with unfinished code and have it today than wait 3 years for delivery. I'm assuming you were referring to WOZ.
All I did was point out, that you can't compare the wait for code, to the wait for an entirely new system, hardware, boardset, company etc.
When JJ releases game #2 compare them all you want. Otherwise, it's just dumb.

You know exactly what I'm saying. Is WoZ shipping with complete code???

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You know exactly what I'm saying. Is WoZ shipping with complete code???

Is this a woz thread? Am I in kansas?

#144 10 years ago

No. Is it the same as metallica shipping with incomplete code? No.

Quoted from smassa:

Is WoZ shipping with complete code???

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

No, it's actually worse since Jack said he wouldn't do that. Gary never made any such promise.

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Is this a woz thread? Am I in kansas?

He made a specific comment about how people should not be buying stern games due to Incomplete code.

Quoted from jalpert:

So it's ok for one company to ship games with incomplete code but not another. I just wanna make sure that's what you're trying to say.

#147 10 years ago

Can we not turn this thread into another f**king WOZ/Stern train wreck? Go outside or something, no one cares.

#148 10 years ago

played it a second time, it still sucks and the best part was a band was playing in the background so I couldn't hear the terrible callouts for most of the game. It was only terrible when they weren't playing.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can we not turn this thread into another f**king WOZ/Stern train wreck? Go outside or something, no one cares.

He choose to bash the Stern model for releasing games with incomplete code not me. Im not thrilled with it either but im not going to bash one company and praise the other when they are basically doing the same thing. Don't like reading it? Just skim past it. Sorry if I ruined your Friday.

#150 10 years ago

Are you just trolling? It has nothing to do with the company, it's the situation their in.

When a company is bringing a brand new system, hardware, software, OS, and everything else to market, they deserve a little more slack. In JJ's case, he's wore out his welcome with a lot of folks, but you cannot compare that to another company in a situation that just needs to update some code.

I'll spell it out, for the last time. Stern = just needs code. WoZ, and for WoZ only, other factors are coming into play. In my opinion, if the company that has all that going on needs some extra time for the code, and they need to release their game for whatever reason before that code is done, I think it's okay. And even if you don't, that's not the point, the point is you can't compare the two.

Quoted from smassa:

So it's ok for one company to ship games with incomplete code but not another. I just wanna make sure that's what you're trying to say.

Quoted from smassa:

Seems the other option is to buy a game that takes 3 years to take Delivery.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-played-metallica-and/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.