Eating-Popcorn-3-michael-jackson-21626.gif
image.jpg
camarocarplace_com_3_Small.jpg
tumblr_lss8vxmfH31r4wwzvo1_500.jpg
th.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_1331.jpg
images.jpg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

the art is AWESOME!!! Unfortunately that was they only major positive I could take away from it at this stage.

I was down in Chicago last week and went to the beercade headquarters which is a super cool place. A bunch of pins that are ALL on freeplay combined with some good beer and some buddies made for a fun time. We went over on both wednesday and thursday. Most of the games are playable but not very well tuned in and all had some issues. I spent a good portion of my time on METpro since it is obviously the newest to me game.

Pros >> The art is hands down AMAZING!!! There is not much that needs to be said other than Stern needs more real art like this pin has. The DMD dots were nice also.

Everything else was, well... just MEH. Game play is medium paced, but just a standard fan layout with no real twists. Sparky is a cool bash toy and I like the angle he is set at, but he is already beat up very badly and I assume the game has not had too many plays yet. The metal ramps look nice but do not seem to feel as smooth as other metal ramps on other games. I found it to be a extremely EASY game at this stage and that says alot since I am a pretty crappy player. I started three multiballs (sparky, cross, and snake) on my second game ever and put up the #1 high score (98+ mil) without even understanding the ruleset at that stage. The left orbit stop is just plain silly and needs to be altered in the code. The overall layout plays with medium flow and this particular game had TONS of rejections even with clean shots >> particularly the snake.

I do like the angle and tightness of the cross shot as that seemed to be about perfect. The game shows LOTS of wear already and that suprised me considering it has not been on location very long (3 weeks according to one local).

There is no doubt in my mind that the code will be fine tuned and it will be an enjoyable game when complete, but compared to what is already available with other games and comparing more directly to recent Stern games (ACDC, Tron, Xmen) Mehtallica goes squarely in the middle of the pack.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I spent a good portion of my time on METpro since it is obviously the newest to me game.

You have spend time on the PRO and rated the Prem/LE at 5.7.
Think you made a mistake ?

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I found it to be a extremely EASY game

lol

Glad you had a good game and good score on it. But it ain't "extremely EASY".

I agree that the flow is about average. Disagree with it being a standard fan layout with no twists. This has way more shots than most "standard fan layout" pins. Three inline drop targets for starters, the fuel lane, snake, hammer/captive ball, and the bash toy sparky.

Definitely agree that the left orbit shot currently sucks with current code. I'd just disable the post in the settings.

I think code has a way to go in order to get this pin to the next level. Stacking would help.

#4 10 years ago

My typical score was 40mil plus even with my bad games. It was EASY to score big at this stage. Absolutely garunteed a multiball each game with Sparky and the vast majority of the time I would get another multiball every game. LRLRLR ramp combos were easy and got repetitive quickly as they do not return to flip quickly enough to make it difficult.

I honestly am s pretty crappy player (ask anyone of the WI locals) and I was consistently putting up 50mil plus each game.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I honestly am s pretty crappy player (ask anyone of the WI locals) and I was consistently putting up 50mil plus each game.

I had similar results the first time I played Mehtallica as well and I am no great player either.
I found it to be on the easier side as well. This is not to say that it did not have some fun features though.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

LRLRLR ramp combos were easy and got repetitive quickly as they do not return to flip quickly enough to make it difficult.

Not only is Metallica hard as f*ck, the ramps on Metallica whip back to the flippers faster than pretty much any game, IMO. I wonder if their game had the back legs down or coils set on soft or something.

Your score number is irrelevant...scoring differs from title to title. AFM scores in the billions...doesn't mean it's "easy" to complete all the objectives. A certain number on Metallica is meaningless unless there's some context involved. Did you light the 4 inserts by the flippers by getting multiple Super Jackpots in the multiballs? Did you complete the shot inserts and start Seek & Destroy?

Curious where the "LOTS of wear" is. My LE has ~500 plays, zero wear. I played RVDV's Pro, which I'm assuming has a ton of plays...no wear. Granted, location games would have more play...but what would wear on a Metallica Pro? There's factory mylar in front of the kickouts & the magnets don't really offer much action besides holding the ball.

#7 10 years ago

I wouldn't categorize the two Metallicas (both versions at RVDV's home) as easy, nor would I label them as "hard as f*ck", but both of you have more experience than I with these games. I thought it was a nice difficulty level (Not to hot, not too cold. This porridge is just right.) I think the "medium pace" description is accurate based on my limited experience (25 games or so). Art is a plus. The fan layout is a better than average implementation that should benefit from a code update or two, as already mentioned. I'll also agree that it is fairly easy to start multiball. Overall, I thought the game was a lot of fun, and I certainly like it better (so far) than Tron, Avengers, X Men, Iron Man, Rolling Stones and POTC. I still prefer Spiderman and LOTR to Metallica. But that's just me...

I'd give a grade of "B" or "B-" at this point.

-Steve

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think code has a way to go in order to get this pin to the next level. Stacking would help.

You can stack. It doesn't need any more stacking. Try stacking coffin, Sparky, S&D and 2x scoring. Tell me that ain't enough of a stack for you. If anything, they need to disable mystery during multiball. It's already confusing enough when you stack without adding in the mystery kickout delay and chopped up video. Too messy already.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I wonder if their game had the back legs down...

That would be my guess. Floaty game.

#9 10 years ago

Wear >> sparky all beat up, captive ball area, snake area >> basically any place that was getting bashed on a regular basis and taking the impact.

I was seriously amazed at how beat up the game was for a couple weeks or even a month on route. The thing looked just as old (in some cases even older) as many of the games from the 90s at the same location.

#10 10 years ago

Game appeared to be pitched at ~7degrees with back levelers out. That was the first thing I looked at.

The game is not slow, but it is FAR from fast. My clearcoated fishtales blows it out of the water for speed and return to flipper timing. MET is medium pace which is not that bad of a thing in my book.

#11 10 years ago

I've only had a total of probably half an hour on an LE, and that machine was crazy hard! Maybe I really suck, but I like to think I am at least an average player. I think it is a fantastic start for this table and that in a year the code will have this very highly ranked. Just my 2 cents.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Wear >> sparky all beat up, captive ball area, snake area >> basically any place that was getting bashed on a regular basis and taking the impact.
I was seriously amazed at how beat up the game was for a couple weeks or even a month on route. The thing looked just as old (in some cases even older) as many of the games from the 90s at the same location.

Define "beat up"

How is Sparky "all beat up"? The ball only hits his shoes. Were his shoes dirty? Is that "beat up"?
Dirty?

Wood wear?

Be specific.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

Overall, I thought the game was a lot of fun, and I certainly like it better (so far) than Tron, Avengers, X Men, Iron Man, Rolling Stones and POTC.

BETTER THAN TRON?? Blasphamy

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not only is Metallica hard as f*ck, the ramps on Metallica whip back to the flippers faster than pretty much any game, IMO.

Knocks your dick in the dirt fast?

#15 10 years ago

As soon as I seen who started this topic I immediately knew where it was going... I wouldn't trust this guy or his $8000 FT's.

#16 10 years ago

Ugh. Saw who it was and knew the story. Metallica isn't fast? Okay. Whatever.

#17 10 years ago

Iv played this metallica. I was there on Saturday actually. And there is wear. But I would say the game gets played constantly from 8-1am most weekends, so there are thousands of plays on it already. If you go check out the Xmen there, Wolvie's stomach isnt looking so good.

Bash toys = wear, its the nature of the whole thing.

Regardless of the difficulty of the game, I side with Hilton as far as I think the game isn't where it needs to be yet. That left orbit shot IS useless. Song selection is pointless in a noisy bar as you can't hear the music anyway and it has no effect on gameplay AFAIK. After 30+ games playing Metallica, Iv resigned myself to just keep multitasking the multiballs (sparky, get graveyard ready while sparky is going, then finish snake after graveyard, rinse repeat).

That being said, I do go back to the game a bit even in a place with a lot of machines like Headquarters. So I think it CAN be a great game, but right now its not yet.

#18 10 years ago

So wait, you're complaining that it was easy to get multiball? You did see the word "Stern" written on the game didn't you?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

That left orbit shot IS useless.

How do you start or collect S&D without the left & right orbits?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

How do you start or collect S&D without the left & right orbits?

No idea. Im not calling myself an expert on the rules, all I know is I hit that left orbit and CLUNK, the post comes up and stops it, I get 10k points and it comes back down.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

No idea. Im not calling myself an expert on the rules, all I know is I hit that left orbit and CLUNK, the post comes up and stops it, I get 10k points and it comes back down.

Replacing the plastic post with a metal one prevents the ball from coming back down the left orbit. When you shoot the left orbit you will see the arrow lamp light up. You need to hit snake, chair & GM to fill out the other 3 inserts. Once you do that you shoot the orbit to start the hurry up value at the captive ball or cube. Do that on all the major shots to start S&D which at this time is the only implemented wiz mode.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Definitely agree that the left orbit shot currently sucks with current code. I'd just disable the post in the settings.

The post seems poorly designed, not even considering code. Maybe moving it one way or the other, or adding a second post and spreading them out might have helped. Its so centered that the ball wants to come back. Maybe a rubber coated post would have worked better, or metal. That feature is similar to Spider-Man, and they got it mostly right on that one, though I do recall some sort of dead-drop-foam fix to help with locks.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Replacing the plastic post with a metal one prevents the ball from coming back down the left orbit. When you shoot the left orbit you will see the arrow lamp light up. You need to hit snake, chair & GM to fill out the other 3 inserts. Once you do that you shoot the orbit to start the hurry up value at the captive ball or cube. Do that on all the major shots to start S&D which at this time is the only implemented wiz mode.

Keith, do you have a part number or game where you got the metal post from?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

the art is AWESOME!!! Unfortunately that was they only major positive I could take away from it at this stage.
I was down in Chicago last week and went to the beercade headquarters which is a super cool place. A bunch of pins that are ALL on freeplay combined with some good beer and some buddies made for a fun time. We went over on both wednesday and thursday. Most of the games are playable but not very well tuned in and all had some issues. I spent a good portion of my time on METpro since it is obviously the newest to me game.
Pros >> The art is hands down AMAZING!!! There is not much that needs to be said other than Stern needs more real art like this pin has. The DMD dots were nice also.
Everything else was, well... just MEH. Game play is medium paced, but just a standard fan layout with no real twists. Sparky is a cool bash toy and I like the angle he is set at, but he is already beat up very badly and I assume the game has not had too many plays yet. The metal ramps look nice but do not seem to feel as smooth as other metal ramps on other games. I found it to be a extremely EASY game at this stage and that says alot since I am a pretty crappy player. I started three multiballs (sparky, cross, and snake) on my second game ever and put up the #1 high score (98+ mil) without even understanding the ruleset at that stage. The left orbit stop is just plain silly and needs to be altered in the code. The overall layout plays with medium flow and this particular game had TONS of rejections even with clean shots >> particularly the snake.
I do like the angle and tightness of the cross shot as that seemed to be about perfect. The game shows LOTS of wear already and that suprised me considering it has not been on location very long (3 weeks according to one local).
There is no doubt in my mind that the code will be fine tuned and it will be an enjoyable game when complete, but compared to what is already available with other games and comparing more directly to recent Stern games (ACDC, Tron, Xmen) Mehtallica goes squarely in the middle of the pack.

Just a question,have you seen if it was the last version of the software??

#25 10 years ago

SO WHY THE TOP 100 REVIEW OF 5.7 ON PREM/LE IF YOU PLAYED
THE PRO???

#26 10 years ago

Metallica is anything but slow...play a Tron right after playing Metallica. Tell me which one feels faster. Metallica is fast. That's a fact. The one you played must not have been set up right. It is easy to start multiballs and the post is lame on the orbits...but whatever, it will be your loss if you don't give this game a chance. There is more to do than just multiballs. IMO it's the best Stern game since IM...maybe even as far back as SM.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Replacing the plastic post with a metal one prevents the ball from coming back down the left orbit.

Can't really do that on a machine on location

#28 10 years ago

define beat up >> the game looks like it is well on its way to a typical routed beater in a few short weeks. The areas I mentioned have visible wear and the wear is MUCH worse than I would expect based on its age relative to the other games at the same bar which are exponentially older.

Dented, beat up, chipped. I could hardly believe it was the newest game in the bar and my non-pinhead friends did not beleive me when i told them it was.

#29 10 years ago

I am not sure which version of the software as I did not check, but my understanding is that it is running the most recent.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not sure which version of the software as I did not check, but my understanding is that it is running the most recent.

Then sorry I'd say your score is less impressive at 98 mil. With the latest software you (I?) should be consistently hitting 50-100 mil as an average. Anything under 50 mil to me is a crap game for my skill level. 100 mil is good, but I fluked out on my first ball ever on Met Premium and pulled off 100mil (on the old software actually) and I'm in no way a great player, nor would I claim the game is easy - flukes happen.

It's relatively easy to start the MB's but they don't score for crap without proper play. Right now I'd say snake is the easiest base scoring opportunity, and shooting 500k jackpots from snake will take forever to get to a great score without bringing in other features, plus it's only two ball.

Best results I get is Coffin MB, Snake lock for 2x, Fuel lane for another 2x, Fuel mode running, then hammer away on crosses or Sparky to stack in that MB as well (ideally sparky). Sometimes the stars align and I pull off a Seek and Destroy but I'm rarely skilled enough to do so.

When you can repeatedly crack 200 mil (or maybe 400 as the illustrious Mr. Elwin showed) THEN you can call it easy and I'll believe you

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Keith, do you have a part number or game where you got the metal post from?

No part number but it is the up-post from congo on the left side. It's the exact same height.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You play the pro and rated in the top100 on the Pro/LE
and you dont have a clue about the software it was running...
Dawm.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

SO WHY THE TOP 100 REVIEW OF 5.7 ON PREM/LE IF YOU PLAYED
THE PRO???

Because it was his attempt to bring the rating down on the LE so he could stick it to those evil flippers!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#35 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

No part number but it is the up-post from congo on the left side. It's the exact same height.

Wild guess here but potentially

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17986

I think it's the up post from ToTAN as well

Is there any reason not to use a metal post? Why did they move to nylon up-posts? I'm working on a replacement up post that will stop the ball but I was trying to keep plastic in contact with the ball assuming there was a good reason for that... If we can switch to metal it's a trivial fix.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Believe me, he can't be trusted... don't let him play you guys. He just wanted some attention today and he also wanted to make sure he could rate it real low and look justified in doing so. I can imagine he blew a gasket when he saw it was back in the top ten.

Either way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Even though I own the LE, I think he's got some valid points:
The orbit stop needs to get fixed-it totally blows.
I wouldn't be that surprised if Sparky was already showing some wear. I've got somewhere around 400 plays on mine, and his feet are starting to get knicked up(but it doesn't bother me either-it's a pinball machine...stuff is gonna get hit with a metal ball going really fast)
As for the points I really don't agree with at all:
Your Fish Tales is faster than Metallica...really? Is your FT slope set at 30 degrees? Do you live on the side of a mountain? This is the only game where I can honestly(and embarassingly) say that the ball has flown so fast down the inline, I haven't flipped in time and it's drained. If I walk over to my AFM or MB(both Clearcoated) after playing METLE, it's like paint drying it's so slow. Even my Shadow feels slow, and that game owns me.
I'd also disagree that the game is that easy. I've had more than a couple over 100 mil games, but I've also had a ton of 3-5 million stinkers where I couldn't do anything right except hit the lame-ass skill shot.
I love this game, and I think it's a blast to play. I'm also fine with other people not liking it, since I'm not selling mine anytime soon.

#37 10 years ago

Not liking...ok

but rating the wrong machine...

Metallica too slow ...i can not take anything
else seriously from this guy after saying it is slow

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Wild guess here but potentially
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17986
I think it's the up post from ToTAN as well
Is there any reason not to use a metal post? Why did they move to nylon up-posts? I'm working on a replacement up post that will stop the ball but I was trying to keep plastic in contact with the ball assuming there was a good reason for that... If we can switch to metal it's a trivial fix.

Yep that's the one from Congo too, just checked

I just bought it, will test it out when it gets to Canadaland someday...also snagged a black spider web ball haha...gonna throw one in the mix..

#39 10 years ago

Played Le, played pro, bought pro, and neither are slow!

#41 10 years ago

he hates METALLICA???

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

he hates METALLICA???

Says he played the Pro but he gave top 100
Review in The Prem/LE...

What a Champion!!!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Says he played the Pro but he gave top 100
Review in The Prem/LE...
What a Champion!!!

Sorry, I did not realize pinside was still doing the silly split ratings. I rated the first one I came to for MET on the list. I will fix it when I get the chance to transfer it over to the regular version instead of the LE version.

Teekee can go %$&! himself. Same trolling crap constantly and same personal attacks yet he somehow is allowed to still post here. I have ZERO agenda. I simply finally got a chance to dive into a MET and play it enough to finally rate one so I did. Anyone paying attention knows that I do not flip games or act as a front man for a distributor so they can punk their customers as Tony tries to financially rape hobbyists. I am merely a hobbyist that enjoys pinball and talking about it.

Met was/is fun, but IMHO did not even come close to the hype that many have said. Also, it is MEDIUM paced, not slow, but far from fast. Anyone playing my FT knows what fast is >> blink for a second and you miss it. Then again, a properly clearcoated pf tends to be pretty fast on any game.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Met was/is fun, but IMHO did not even come close to the hype that many have said.

YOUR OUT OF YOUR GOD DAMN MIND METALLICA IS THE GREATEST THING SINCE AVENGERS WHICH WAS THE BEST SINCE XMEN GLARRRRRRRRRRRRGH. Bet Derrek sold his already too.

Metallica is JUST OK!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

S
Met was/is fun, but IMHO did not even come close to the hype that many have said. Also, it is MEDIUM paced, not slow, but far from fast.

I played the pro last weekend and tend to agree with this. I think it's good but way overhyped. It'll be interesting where owners stand in 6 mos or when the next new stern is released. What I liked about the game is that it starts off slow and technical; player must set up their shots and strategy. Working towards S&D is a great rule for technical skilled players. Working towards mb's is the simple basic player strat. While working on lady justice is in between.

The layout and rules, for the most part, make the game start off slow. The in line drops don't give the ball a smoothe return to the flippers; neither does sparky, snake, outter loops, or mystery. HOWEVER, once you get lady justice going and/or mb's, the game opens up into a complete fast flow fest. Shots open up and seem to be a lot more smooth. I like these types of aspects in pins where as a player advances or opens up the board, the shots open up and adds another dimension. I'm not sure what the long term lastability will be for this title as the code is not finished. Personally, I thought it was good, but didn't give me a feeling of wanting more.

As for the art; I think the pf looked superb while the cabinet and back glass looked horrid. The LE cab and mirrored back glass however, much better.

#46 10 years ago

GO PACK GO!!!!

A lot of Wisconsin peeps in the thread, figured I'd throw that in.

#47 10 years ago

Guys I know whats wrong... this was a "prototype" Metallica

Anyway Whyisnow I appreciate your review

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Met was/is fun, but IMHO did not even come close to the hype that many have said.

Theres a few people hyping I suppose, but I'm not really seeing this being proclaimed as some sort of best-ever pinball... maybe I'm dodging those threads haha.

Ignoring software and rules, I think it's way better than ACDC on layout, which I would contend is probably the most overhyped game I've played recently. ACDC has a great (groudbreaking?) set of rules once you get the decoder ring and x-ray glasses to figure out wtf to do, but until I own ACDC I will keep avoiding it in the wild simply because it has an overwhelming ruleset that does not set itself up for a casual player in an airport or a bar, and the layout of shots doesnt compensate for it. I can't wait to dive into it, but I'll have to buy it.

The beauty of the metallica layout (IMO), is theres crap to hit and it does stuff and it's fun even without software. Everyone is hoping that nuanced ACDC depth stuff comes for longevity, but in the end, if you strip it all back to basics its still fun. ACDC if I recall was not at all well recieved on its early software because the layout is basic, and the software didn't do anything. I see that first issue fixed with Metallica. The second remains to be seen but I have faith

#49 10 years ago

I think the term "overhyped" is by far the most overused term on Pinside.

Reminds me of "$10k by Christmas".

#50 10 years ago

I have the machine
I think it is fun as hell to PLAY
That is all (hyped,overhyped,overpriced,7K by Christmas,flipped,...DON'T matter to me)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 29.95
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-played-metallica-and and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.