• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Darscot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi

Full disclosure, I've never beena kiss fan nor have I ordered one. These are just my quick thoughts after playing a few games yesterday at NWPAS

I've seen the pictures, but the machine in flesh looked even better. The playfield art especially looked good to me and the layout is well thought out. In many ways the game is similar to other recent sterns in terms of being fast and furious. There's definitely a nice mix of risk & rewards mixed with couple of shots requiring great accuracy.

They updates the SW on one of the machines, basically it took just a few secs. Turn off machine, remove backglass, put new memory card it, turn on the machine. Very easy.
The SW used was 0.91 if I remember right, and it was an improvement to what ever was there before that. Dots and color changing leds are well designed and look good

The music is integrated the same way as in MET or AC/DC, but I don't know if the objectives we the same. Based on just a few games I didn't see any change in that, but those were pretty short games (I suck, I confess). You can also choose a city but I didn't figure out its significance either

Gene's head spitting out the ball was a cool toy, but it often resulted in STDM. Maybe it can be adjusted because it seemed to be more pronounced on one of the two machines.

The ramps are cool and the fan layout is well implemented imho. A few MB's to chosoe from too, and trying to lock the balls in Gene's head definitely was risk/reward approach.

I have to say I was positively surprised, definitely made me want to play more of iteven if the band means nothing to me. All of you kiss army loyals, I think you'll love this pin

-K

#2 8 years ago

I had about the same impressions (including not feeling qualified to comment extensively on gameplay due to lack of player skill). The build quality seems right in line with the other recent Sterns and I'm in the camp that likes the throwback art. It does seem to be a bit of a drain monster, the games I played with random strangers featured quite a few ball saves.

However I strongly disagree on the dots, they were terrible. I also saw it lock up completely, requiring a power cycle after someone tilted - something to keep in mind if you've sworn off games with incomplete code.

#3 8 years ago

How does Jack feel about it?

#4 8 years ago

I guess the dots are a pale comparison to some more developed games, let alone hobbit, but for clearly a raw code I thought it was ok based on the little I saw (my eyes were mostly fixated on the ball though)

#5 8 years ago

I had a few games on it and it was really good, much better than I expected. I'm not a kiss big fan but I don't mind there music. The theme and pinball just go together very well. Something about Kiss music on a pin just fits for me, the era the nostalgia it all comes together. The one massive travesty is the lack of at least a color DMD. Trying to show basically videos on a red DMD just doesn't work. Close up's of Gene flicking his bloody tongue look like a mess. You can tell it's him because its such an iconic image but it really needs to be full color. The pin sucked me in and I thought I might actually have to get myself one, then those images just really soured it. It just seems half assed on Sterns part. Like I would be buying a brand new car and the salesman hands me an actual key and says keyless entry is an extra 500. I walked away from it with the same feeling.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-played-kiss-at-nwpas-and-liked-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.