View topic image gallery

Madcapextras (resized).JPG
MadcapPlays1 (resized).JPG
MadcapMarbles1 (resized).JPG
MadcapTrans3 (resized).JPG
MadcapTrans2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0773 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Found on Facebook, picked up in York... Stoner's Mad Cap from 1936.

IMG_0773 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Love the artwork!

#3 2 years ago

It's got a couple of really neat features too. Awaiting a power supply to start tinkering and get it running. Otherwise very complete.

#4 2 years ago

Cool! I think about how my father explained what pinball was like while he was growing up. I would love to see more of this game when you get it running.

#5 2 years ago

Wow. Great find. Please post a video of it when you get it up and running.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Stoner's Mad Cap from 1936.

Fix it up and then watch a stoner try to play it while he keeps looking for the flippers.

#7 2 years ago

OP what makes this game rare? Just curious as to the history with it as IPDB doesn't give that much and of course with this era of machine no one knows the production numbers.

Thanks for posting as always interested in these older machines.

Not sure what you use to clean playfields but if you have never used .....
Meguiars - 65 cut
3M - Perfect It Polishing Compound
3M - Perfect It Ultra-fine Polishing Compound

Give them a try. It's pricey to buy them all but they will last for numerous playfields and will make it look brand new.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

OP what makes this game rare? Just curious as to the history with it as IPDB doesn't give that much and of course with this era of machine no one knows the production numbers.
Thanks for posting as always interested in these older machines.
Not sure what you use to clean playfields but if you have never used .....
Meguiars - 65 cut
3M - Perfect It Polishing Compound
3M - Perfect It Ultra-fine Polishing Compound
Give them a try. It's pricey to buy them all but they will last for numerous playfields and will make it look brand new.

Very few machines of this vintage survive in any form. Of those that do, the bulk are Genco, Bally, and the other larger manufacturers. The smaller manufacturers made smaller numbers to start with, and in the case of a game like this one, may only exist in single digit numbers. I can only find two other examples of this particular game, both of which reside with a collector in Europe.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Very few machines of this vintage survive in any form. Of those that do, the bulk are Genco, Bally, and the other larger manufacturers. The smaller manufacturers made smaller numbers to start with, and in the case of a game like this one, may only exist in single digit numbers. I can only find two other examples of this particular game, both of which reside with a collector in Europe.

Thanks for the response!

#10 2 years ago

Hello. My first post. I usually just lurk but I have this machine also.
The pics on IPDB by Russ Jensen are actually mine but that is another story.
Please let me know your progress on getting yours going. The kicking solenoids are cool but mine are under powered. I do not have a schematic so not sure what proper voltages should be. I do have the original transformer but it was DOA.
Does your machine have a timer like mine?
Does your game have the original blue marbles?
I would also like to ask you if you could trace the wood frame on the instruction card and give dimensions so I can make one.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PopsRacer:

Hello. My first post. I usually just lurk but I have this machine also.
The pics on IPDB by Russ Jensen are actually mine but that is another story.
Please let me know your progress on getting yours going. The kicking solenoids are cool but mine are under powered. I do not have a schematic so not sure what proper voltages should be. I do have the original transformer but it was DOA.
Does your machine have a timer like mine?
Does your game have the original blue marbles?
I would also like to ask you if you could trace the wood frame on the instruction card and give dimensions so I can make one.

Hi there-- thanks for chiming in! Maybe we can help each other out and get them both running.

The transformer in mine is missing entirely, I'll order a switching power supply to replace it once I have a better idea of the voltages needed. I tried to get the solenoids to work with a 6v power supply, and that was not enough. I didn't want to apply higher voltages until I knew more. What voltages are currently running to those solenoids on your machine? Are there markings on the original transformer?

Mine does not have a timer, though I can see where it's supposed to be. On many of the games of this vintage, the timers were removed and bypassed when they stopped working. On one of my other games of this vintage, I was unable to find a timer, so I build a little computer board with a 555 timer circuit in it that uses capacitors to determine how long the game stays on. A bit of a blend of the new and the old. If I can't find a suitable timer this time around, I'll do the same thing this time.

I have no balls or marbles with mine. How do you know that the originals were blue?

Regarding the wood frame- sure. I'll drop you a PM.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Hi there-- thanks for chiming in! Maybe we can help each other out and get them both running.
The transformer in mine is missing entirely, I'll order a switching power supply to replace it once I have a better idea of the voltages needed. I tried to get the solenoids to work with a 6v power supply, and that was not enough. I didn't want to apply higher voltages until I knew more. What voltages are currently running to those solenoids on your machine? Are there markings on the original transformer?
Mine does not have a timer, though I can see where it's supposed to be. On many of the games of this vintage, the timers were removed and bypassed when they stopped working. On one of my other games of this vintage, I was unable to find a timer, so I build a little computer board with a 555 timer circuit in it that uses capacitors to determine how long the game stays on. A bit of a blend of the new and the old. If I can't find a suitable timer this time around, I'll do the same thing this time.
I have no balls or marbles with mine. How do you know that the originals were blue?
Regarding the wood frame- sure. I'll drop you a PM.

I have 6v running to my solenoids also. I dug out the old transformer and it has a tap for 6v dc and 6v ac.
MadcapTrans2 (resized).JPG
MadcapTrans3 (resized).JPG
My game was fairly unmolested and was still locked when I got it. Playfield glass intact. I drilled out the lock and the coinbox still had nickels in it. Most recent date was 1947.
Had original transformer laying unconnected inside as well as the play meter.
MadcapPlays1 (resized).JPG
Blue marbles were in the trough and based on everything else assuming original. They are 1" diameter.
MadcapMarbles1 (resized).JPG
Timer still works sometimes.
There were also spare bulbs inside.
Madcapextras (resized).JPG
It's funny, as complete as this game is, that it is missing the instruction card frame but still has the original card glued to the apron.
Will be sending a pm to you.

#13 2 years ago

That's. Freaking. Cool.

Great pickup!!

3 weeks later
#14 2 years ago

A quick update... my power supply finally arrived on the slow boat from China. I installed it, and replaced some really beat wiring in the bottom of the cabinet. I also replaced the frayed power cord. Plugged everything in, and it fired right up! Everything seems to be working. It's going to need a lot of cleaning and tweaking to play right, and I will probably repaint the cabinet-- it's kind of shabby.

The only thing left to resolve is the missing timer. When I have a bit of time on my hands, I'll build another one of the aforementioned 555 timer boards, and figure out a way to hook up a switch to the coin mech to trigger it.

Pictures and video once it's cleaned up.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside