Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190626_190714 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I'm searching for information on how to obtain the toll pass gizmos so that I don't have to stop to pay tolls every 8-10 miles while going to the Chicago Pinball Expo, MGC (through ILL), Replay FX, and maybe a few others. I live in MI, so I can't really go to the local drug store to buy one and subscribe. Looking online the instructions are for those that live in those states for subscriptions. What is the best option for using it once every 4 months or so. Is I-Pass the same thing as E-ZPass and work interchangeably, or would I have to buy/rent/subscribe to each one. Just trying to understand the concept. Those toll roads are a real pain to drive through. Or is it just better/less of a hassle to carry lots of change and singles and stop every 10 minutes to pay. Please explain/advise. Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I got an EZ Pass at an Ohio Turnpike plaza a couple years ago. I set it up with a credit card that day, but it wasn’t activated until the next day. I go to Cle-Pin, the Ohio show, ReplayFX, and York. It’s definitely the way to go. It saves money on tolls and time at the toll stops. It automatically reloads when it gets low, otherwise the amount left on the EZ Pass just stays there. I highly recommend it to any Michigander.

#3 4 years ago

As quoted from the Illinois Tollway Authority:

"Every toll lane on the Illinois Tollway accepts I-PASS. You can also use it on the Chicago Skyway, the Indiana Toll Road and in 17 other states (via the E-ZPass system). Get started with I-PASS for as little as $30 today!

I-PASS users do not need to register with E-ZPass, and E-ZPass users do not need to register with I-PASS in order to use the other system. Make sure your transponder is properly mounted and your account information is current. It may take up to 48 hours for out-of-state roadways to update your I-PASS account.

I-PASS is accepted on the Central Florida Expressway Authority's 118-mile toll road network in Metro Orlando which includes downtown Orlando and surrounding communities."

Where to get I-PASS: Online at - illinoistollway.com and click "get I-Pass now!" or by Phone: 1-800-824-7277

Hope this helps!

#4 4 years ago

EZ pass is good for the entire northeast.
    https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/facilities.shtml

You can sign up online and they mail you a transponder, even if you're not in an EZ pass state. $3 a year annual fee to have one.

#5 4 years ago

getipass.com , they can mail it to you. IPASS and EZPass are interchangeable you can just drive on through either one. IPASS and EZPASS don't work with the Texas or Florida toll systems, as far as i know.

IPASS tolls are half when you have the transponder, it really is the best way to go. Makes life much easier if you are driving through Chicagoland.

#6 4 years ago

I-Pass was free, believe you have to pay for the Ez-Pass. Of course varies by state so research.

Use mine all the time for getting pins and for work as it saves time and money. Specially in Chicago area where toll stops are just a few miles apart.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I-Pass was free, believe you have to pay for the Ez-Pass.

I did pay for the EZ Pass. What is free is driving in Michigan. Just a public service for anyone coming to PATZ or VFW

#8 4 years ago

I carry a PA ez-pass and a FL sunpass in my travel bag. Covers me for the whole east coast, and just sits idle when I don't use 'em. I like the PA ez-pass for their app, which lets me add a rental car plate with a time window. Dunno what other states apps are like, but it's about all that's different between the lot.

#9 4 years ago

I thought there was a monthly fee for EZpass. I know there isn't one for iPass as I have 2 of those. In Chicago, iPass charges your account 1/2 of the cash price. IPass is also good in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and WVa turnpikes too but no discount on those.

#10 4 years ago

I got an iPass a few years back due to frequent trips to Chicago and Kentucky from Minnesota. The Kennedy bridge over the Ohio River going from Indiana to Kentucky is another toll organization, but they must contract with iPass because it took the toll from my balance and I didn’t have to mail it in. A bit over $2 just to cross the river.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I thought there was a monthly fee for EZpass. I know there isn't one for iPass as I have 2 of those. In Chicago, iPass charges your account 1/2 of the cash price. IPass is also good in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and WVa turnpikes too but no discount on those.

No monthly fee, just when you use it of course...

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

It varies by the state that issues your pass.
    6 or 7 years ago, when I first got mine, MD charged a monthly fee, even if you don't use it. VA deactivated your account if you didn't use it once every 6 months. Another state near me (PA? NY? I don't remember..) did not refund the 'deposit' for returned transponders. So, even thought I live pretty close to DC in WV, I ordered the IPass from IL - they shipped it to me, and been using it ever since. (Now, I believe that things have changed - I know MD no longer charges a monthly fee.)

In either case, IPass and EZPass are interchangeable. So look at all the states that offer them, and go with the one that gives you the best benefits. They'll ship a transponder to you, no worries.

#13 4 years ago

Greetings all. I use EZPass in WV and Sunpass in FL. I strongly urge anyone using these to monitor your statements closely. I have been battling with Sunpass for nearly 4 years(a month ago being the last extra charge) on getting an extra axle charges on my vehicle. 2 axle truck getting charged for 3. 2 axle truck with 1 axle trailer, get charged for 4. This mainly happens on the the Suncoast Parkway. If you use that road, you may want to check some statements. I can post pics of statements if anyone wants to see what to look for.

#14 4 years ago

FWIW, I don't use I-pass or EZPass.

As I drive thru each tollway, I make a note of the date, time and toll plaza name. When I get back from the show I simply go to the IDOT website and enter the info and just pay online. I've done this method for the last four years without any hassle.

Note: You have pay within 7 days to avoid the fines.

#15 4 years ago

last expo I went to I just buzzed through all the toll exits, 2 months later I got $300 invoice in the mail.

#16 4 years ago

Thanks for all the info - it helps! Since it doesn't cost a monthly charge for the Illinois one and I have two shows a year to go through those tolls (Expo and MGC), it looks like that is the best option for me. I have another question as I read through info on it. It says that there is a easy remove connection to the glass. Is it just sticky tape? I wont be using it for about 350 days out of the year. It also seems pretty particular on getting it 1" from the top of the glass and 1" from the rear view mirror post. I have a 2019 Ranger that has a big plastic piece against the glass behind the mirror (I think for the crash avoidance BS) so I can't be that exact. Anyone run into any issues with the device placement because of that? I read something about fining you if the placement wasn't right. I'm sure it will be fine because others with new Fords have the same issue, but just seeing if there are any issues to deal with because of that.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks for all the info - it helps! Since it doesn't cost a monthly charge for the Illinois one and I have two shows a year to go through those tolls (Expo and MGC), it looks like that is the best option for me. I have another question as I read through info on it. It says that there is a easy remove connection to the glass. Is it just sticky tape? I wont be using it for about 350 days out of the year. It also seems pretty particular on getting it 1" from the top of the glass and 1" from the rear view mirror post. I have a 2019 Ranger that has a big plastic piece against the glass behind the mirror (I think for the crash avoidance BS) so I can't be that exact. Anyone run into any issues with the device placement because of that? It read something about fining you if the placement wasn't right. I'm sure it will be fine because others with new Fords have the same issue, but just seeing if there are any issues to deal with because of that.

When I got my Pa. EZ-Pass years ago they gave you 2 Velcro strips that got worn out because I transferred it frequently between 2 cars.
    Now I just use 2 long rubber bands and have it on my visor. Just put the visor down when going thru ez-pass..

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

FWIW, I don't use I-pass or EZPass.
    As I drive thru each tollway, I make a note of the date, time and toll plaza name. When I get back from the show I simply go to the IDOT website and enter the info and just pay online. I've done this method for the last four years without any hassle.
    Note: You have pay within 7 days to avoid the fines.

This works fine - for open-road tolling. A lot of states here on the east don't HAVE open-road tolling. (Unfortunately!)

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks for all the info - it helps! Since it doesn't cost a monthly charge for the Illinois one and I have two shows a year to go through those tolls (Expo and MGC), it looks like that is the best option for me. I have another question as I read through info on it. It says that there is a easy remove connection to the glass. Is it just sticky tape? I wont be using it for about 350 days out of the year. It also seems pretty particular on getting it 1" from the top of the glass and 1" from the rear view mirror post. I have a 2019 Ranger that has a big plastic piece against the glass behind the mirror (I think for the crash avoidance BS) so I can't be that exact. Anyone run into any issues with the device placement because of that? I read something about fining you if the placement wasn't right. I'm sure it will be fine because others with new Fords have the same issue, but just seeing if there are any issues to deal with because of that.

I use my one iPass transponder for both of my vehicles and have never mounted it. Depending on which vehicle I’m driving I bring it with and when going thru a toll I just put it on the dash. Never had a problem with it being detected in over 10 years

#20 4 years ago

Does anyone know if an ezpass will work if its mounted behind those little dots where there mirror is?

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Does anyone know if an ezpass will work if its mounted behind those little dots where there mirror is?

I like that question and want to know that too. Besides the big gizmo behind my mirror, I have those dots all the way around it a couple inches out.

20190626_190714 (resized).jpg20190626_190714 (resized).jpg
    #22 4 years ago

I've placed my I-Pass right on a lowered sunvisor and right on the dash without any problem. Helps if you are as close to center of vehicle's windshield as possible as that is how the booths track what lane you are in.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Has been working fine on my truck behind those, yup!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I've placed my I-Pass right on a lowered sunvisor and right on the dash without any problem. Helps if you are as close to center of vehicle's windshield as possible as that is how the booths track what lane you are in.

So … if on the visor, swerve to the right a bit as you go through it.

Quoted from Coyote:

Has been working fine on my truck behind those, yup!

Thanks for letting us know … good to know.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

I like that question and want to know that too. Besides the big gizmo behind my mirror, I have those dots all the way around it a couple inches out.[quoted image]

That’s what the dots are designed for. Many manufacturers have a coating on the glass that interferes with the transponders. That coating isn’t present where the dots are.

#26 4 years ago

In NY once you buy an EZPASS(cost goes right on your account BTW) you can order more Velcro and transponders for free.

We have three transponders for four vehicles and we only pay when we travel.

Very convenient IMO.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

In NY once you buy an EZPASS(cost goes right on your account BTW) you can order more Velcro and transponders for free.
    We have three transponders for four vehicles and we only pay when we travel.
    Very convenient IMO.

I got one of these -
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSO9JXE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

For two reasons: I've always had issues with the heat melting the adhesive on the velcro, and it just drove me crazy(-ier). Second, there's been a few times where I had guests from out of tow, and bcause of their family (kids) had to rent another vehicle. Using this, it's an easy switch over. (Because AFAIK, rental car compnaies charge the *hell* out of you if you use their own transponder..)

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I use my one iPass transponder for both of my vehicles and have never mounted it. Depending on which vehicle I’m driving I bring it with and when going thru a toll I just put it on the dash. Never had a problem with it being detected in over 10 years

Can someone answer this question for me? When i got my iPass (just a couple years ago) I had to register it to the vehicle I bought it for and give license plate number. I was told by the attendant at the booth (first oasis as you enter Illinois from Wisconsin) that it would only work in that vehicle because the iPass areas also had license plate recognition cameras. I was also told by someone else (can’t remember whom) that this was not the case for older iPass transponders. Is this all true? Or can I switch my iPass between vehicles? I’ll do an internet search, but wonder if anyone here has first hand knowledge rather than just heresay?

EDIT: Search didn’t take long... https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/86147/I-PASS+FAQs_0917.pdf/bba788df-a923-4597-98d3-8621fbe2bdf8?version=1.0

Evidently, you can use it for multiple vehicles, but they (Illinois tollway) are “encouraging” you get a separate one for each vehicle. Guess the lady at the desk was just “encouraging” it a bit stronger by telling me I needed one per car. I see now on my getipass.com account where I can add vehicles.

#29 4 years ago

Yes. You simply just register multiple vehicles and multiple iPass transponders to your account. It's a good idea to keep the information up to date just in case a transponder doesn't get read. They can then match your plate photo up with your account to avoid fines. Had that happen once.

Also, after 10 years the transponder battery gets to its end of life. They'll send you a letter requiring you to bring it to Chicago (Jewel Osco) or an oasis, etc., or you can send it back in the mail. Be warned that if you bring it to Chicago and get a new one, the replacement isn't activated for 48 hours. Just an FYI if you are planning on leaving the city or driving around.

#30 4 years ago

EZ Pass just started charging $1.25 per month maintenance fees. I do not believe there is a monthly cost with I-pass. I am in the process of switching.

3 months later
    #31 4 years ago
    Quoted from suave84:

EZ Pass just started charging $1.25 per month maintenance fees. I do not believe there is a monthly cost with I-pass. I am in the process of switching.

No monthly cost for I-pass. I got mine and it worked fine going to Replay Fx/Pinburgh, and will use it later this week going to Expo. A belated thanks for the advise on this, it helped.

#32 4 years ago

Quick tip...for I-Pass I turned off auto replenish and use manual replenish. I am able to load $10 at a time even though it says $20 minimum. Evidently the software doesn’t enforce it.

If using manual replenish, don’t forget to stay on top of it... if you’re forgetful, keep on auto replenish.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from suave84:

Indiana Toll Road is changing that. Got I-pass right before they went to X2 cash tolls still no fees just the $10 deposit that refunded when you quit.

Indiana Toll Road needs to dump the gates in the ETC lanes.

407 etr is the one with very high fees

#34 4 years ago

The last time we went there, the GSP was set for non-toll roads. It takes longer but less stressfull drive.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Besides the big gizmo behind my mirror, I have those dots all the way around it a couple inches out.

On my raptor which has the dot grill; I put my TX-Tag just below the "metalized grill" on the windshield... but while it was still hidden behind the rear view mirror from the drivers perspective.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-pass-e-zpass-for-out-of-state-people-going-to-pinball-shows?hl=hypercoaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.