(Topic ID: 306075)

I need to learn to play guitar

By zr11990

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220322_103132 (resized).jpg
    d4ef17c1a686f2fd000b6f762908c6fa (resized).jpg
    GUITARS_2 (resized).jpg
    GUITARS_4 (resized).jpg
    GUITARS_3 (resized).jpg
    GUITARS_1 (resized).jpg
    1CB5D21F-321F-4DCA-B9F8-64827E4311CB (resized).jpeg
    343651CB-0C5F-4286-821C-C51CCDCF560C (resized).jpeg
    20211215_150435 (resized).jpg
    C9A3479A-BA4A-4810-9496-6E4DC97591E8 (resized).jpeg
    AE244418-4AC7-41A8-B6B3-98B2C3D456B3 (resized).jpeg
    power-chords (resized).jpg
    1CCB4CDD-BC27-4486-BC5A-7E3B2D53ED64 (resized).jpeg
    There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

If it was easy, everyone would do it. That’s what I tell myself over and over when I don’t feel like practicing. You just need to decide it’s something you are going to do and never look back.

100% practice daily if you can. May I suggest a voxx portable amplifier with headphones for practicing quietly

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

100% practice daily if you can. May I suggest a voxx portable amplifier with headphones for practicing quietly

I agree. I think a good rule of thumb is for your own enjoyment one hour a day. If you want, to be a real musician - three hours a day.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I agree. I think a good rule of thumb is for your own enjoyment one hour a day. If you want, to be a real musician - three hours a day.

And it will save op $ instead of a dust collector if not committed to have wife return.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

And it will save op $ instead of a dust collector if not committed to have wife return.

An hour plus really isn’t hard to do if you just make your life more efficient. I do an hour first thing in the morning instead of staring at my phone or watching tv. After that, I get another hour or so in in 20 minute increments and that is literally every day with very few exceptions. And I have kids and work more than a full time job. Anyway, it’s just a matter of how bad you want it, much like anything else worth doing.

#55 2 years ago

So what are my chances of learning to play Chuck Berries Johnny B Good. To me that is one of the greatest intros in rock music.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

So what are my chances of learning to play Chuck Berries Johnny B Good. To me that is one of the greatest intros in rock music.

You can learn to play anything, it just takes practice.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Put a 5 watt tube amp in the bathroom and max the volume so the distortion sets in after the tubes heat up.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

In my teens and through my 20s, that was me - hours a day, plus band practices and playing bars. That was my pre-pinball life, guitar. Period.

In my 30s, everyone got married, had kids, went in their own direction. I bought my first pin, then my second. Then my third. And on it went.

When I run into people I haven't seen in years, the first thing they ask is "You still play??" (while doing the prerequisite air guitar strum). When I tell them I haven't picked up a guitar in 20 years they're shocked.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

If you want to play Johnny B Goode, then do it. Just make sure to start very slow until you get the fingering down. Remember, if you practice sloppy, you will play sloppy.

#60 2 years ago

Question ..is Zr personality type to smash the guitar in frustration? (Elephant in room)

1 week later
    #61 2 years ago

Is op learning?

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Learn the open position chords 1st. Concentrate on the most common ones 1st. Place your fingers on the chord shape strum a few times and then slowly change to another position and repeat. You need to get these shapes into muscle memory. Once you know a few open position chords you can strum along to a ton of songs.[quoted image]

I may suggest the guitar chord poster Walmart sells

#63 2 years ago

I heard Metallica's One the week it came out. Changed my life. I picked up the guitar immediately. Only had my dad's junky Aria acoustic to practice on. Had power chords down in a couple of days. Got a friend's Peavey Patriot shortly thereafter and really jammed.
    I've played on stage once(and that was a hilarious disaster), but it's given me a lifelong hobby. I remember playing "name that tune" with this girl I had the hots for. Must have worked, because we have been married for 26 years.
    Bottom line: find songs you love and play the shit out of them. Tab takes 5 minutes to learn. Learn it, and pick up music theory over time. If you are strumming, I would recommend Poison's Every Rose has its Thorn or Tom Petty's Freefalling. Easy to groove to, just a couple of chords and everyone will sing along with you.

1 month later
    #64 2 years ago

Op update?

#65 2 years ago

Learning "Smoke on the Water." is a rite of passage.

#66 2 years ago

Ask Vid about that..

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Learning "Smoke on the Water." is a right of passage.

For me it was Iron Man.

But those two songs probably were the first power chords for the majority of aspiring rock players.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For me it was Iron Man.

But those two songs probably were the first power chords for the majority of aspiring rock players.

I was all about Metallica(and other speed metal bands). Lots of crunchy power chords.

#69 2 years ago

Yea well. I got a guitar, not the one I was talking about. She bought me lessons which I would take on Thursday when I’m off but it seems that every Thursday I have something to do and I haven’t been able to schedule. Now that my grand daughter is sick and I have to do community service for a gun charge I still won’t have time. I did sell my business so when that is all said and done I will have lots of time.

If you are interested in the gun charge I took off from work on a Saturday and got pulled over. I keep my glock on the seat next to me because it’s a crappy hood. I held my hands up and told the cop I had a gun in the seat and I had a permit to carry and I showed him my license and permit. The cop didn’t care he took me to jail anyway. I spent 15 hours in county jail and I was charged with carrying a firearm in a car without a permit. Total bullshit. The cop said that my permit was expired which it wasn’t. So I had to pay a lawyer, get my car out of impound and I lost my gun.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I was all about Metallica(and other speed metal bands). Lots of crunchy power chords.

LMAO did you happen to own a certain pedal....a METAL ZONE!??!

I have one of those! it's a little much for me these days, I use mostly a tube screamer but sometimes can't help but fire up THE METAL ZONE!

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Yea well. I got a guitar, not the one I was talking about. She bought me lessons which I would take on Thursday when I’m off but it seems that every Thursday I have something to do and I haven’t been able to schedule. Now that my grand daughter is sick and I have to do community service for a gun charge I still won’t have time. I did sell my business so when that is all said and done I will have lots of time.
    If you are interested in the gun charge I took off from work on a Saturday and got pulled over. I keep my glock on the seat next to me because it’s a crappy hood. I held my hands up and told the cop I had a gun in the seat and I had a permit to carry and I showed him my license and permit. The cop didn’t care he took me to jail anyway. I spent 15 hours in county jail and I was charged with carrying a firearm in a car without a permit. Total bullshit. The cop said that my permit was expired which it wasn’t. So I had to pay a lawyer, get my car out of impound and I lost my gun.

Well let's see it!

(the guitar, not the gun)

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO did you happen to own a certain pedal....a METAL ZONE!??!
    I have one of those! it's a little much for me these days, I use mostly a tube screamer but sometimes can't help but fire up THE METAL ZONE!

I have two now. The original Metal Zone I bought in the 90s, and a shiny new MT-2w Waza version. This way, I can set one up for chunky chugging and the other one for screaming distorted lead and not have to keep fiddling with the knobs.

There is no shortage of discussion and love and hate for the Metal Zone. I think Ola covers the idea of it best. It definitely will sound like crap and ruin your day if it is not dialed in right. But if you get it set right and connected properly, it is awesome. IMO of course.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I have two now. The original Metal Zone I bought in the 90s, and a shiny new MT-2w Waza version. This way, I can set one up for chunky chugging and the other one for screaming distorted lead and not have to keep fiddling with the knobs.
    There is no shortage of discussion and love and hate for the Metal Zone. I think Ola covers the idea of it best. It definitely will sound like crap and ruin your day if it is not dialed in right. But if you get it set right and connected properly, it is awesome. IMO of course.

Yeah I'm using the "EXTREME METAL!" setting on my amp if I need to shred like that but I should probably bring the Metal Zone back into the mix. I got that in the late 1990s.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well let's see it!
    (the guitar, not the gun)

It’s just a simple starter.

#75 2 years ago

Forget the guitar for now --family and getting that bogus gun charge off your back priority

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Forget the guitar for now --family and getting that bogus gun charge off your back priority

Yep. I get to go do community service tomorrow at a arboretum. I will be reporting plants all day.

#77 2 years ago

Couldn’t you just show your permit Not expired during booking....Cop is the criminal here if all is true.....???.............Joey

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Couldn’t you just show your permit Not expired during booking....Cop is the criminal here if all is true.....???.............Joey

I showed the cop the permit twice

#79 2 years ago

My wife has a friend that knows people and they called and talked to the judge and the cop. The official charge is having a gun in the car without a permit and the cop says the permit was expired, it doesn’t expire till June. The whole thing is screwed up. Everyone said well he must have been drunk or on drugs. I don’t do drugs and I don’t drink and drive. It’s all excuses.

#80 2 years ago

doing community service for exposed weapon..why didn't you shove it under the seat? Either ways sucks man

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

doing community service for exposed weapon..why didn't you shove it under the seat? Either ways sucks man

I wanted to do what I am supposed to do. I was driving a loud ass red corvette . You don’t mess around with guns and the law. If he saw me bend over and put it under the seat it could have set him off of it was a normal cop. When in this crappy hood I usually carry it between my legs. In fact I got pulled over once before and told the guy” I have a gun between my legs what do you want me to do with it”. He said thanks for telling me you could have shot me before I got to the car. Have a good day. This cop wanted to arrest me for something and this was a good excuse.

#82 2 years ago

Man ---could shoot your weiner off between the legs

#83 2 years ago

Nope a glock can’t be shot accidentally

But if it did go off I guess I could see how the other half lives

#84 2 years ago

Just can't you see you as post op shemale Zr.

#85 2 years ago

Post deleted ..thank god

#86 2 years ago

Why am I thinking the Big Lebowski pin?

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Post deleted ..thank god

What post. I don’t get offended

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

What post. I don’t get offended

Not tasteful and slightly Derogatory towards the bio sex kids today ZR

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Just can't you see you as post op shemale Zr.

I definitely wouldn’t make a good looking woman

#90 2 years ago

I’m not a gun owner and I have strong opinions about this topic in general.

But that aside…if you were legal I’d have a lawyer on that cop’s ass in a hurry. No way I’d be doing any community service or acknowledging guilt if I was in the clear. Are permits not tracked in the State computer system? How can this even be up for debate? Doesn’t matter what some cop says if your lawyer shows what the permit date is.

On the guitar…I took up an instrument while in my 40s, all it really takes is persistence. You can learn at any age with daily practice and lessons.

#91 2 years ago

You are saying the same thing that everyone else has said. The problem is that you have to go to court. This isn itself is a cluster fuck. I might have to sit on the courthouse multiple times before I get to see a judge. The lawyer said do it this way and get it dismissed and then he would get the actual charge dropped. As far as legally the only issue is that you aren’t supposed to have it open in the seat of the car. It can be I. A holster on your person or under the seat or in the glove box or whatever but not open in the seat. I was never told that when I took the class for the permit. I was in a shit hood and hell yes I want it available. But that wasn’t what I was charged with. The charge says “ firearm in vehicle, no permit” which is bullshit. Everyone says I was drinking or on drugs or was a asshole to the cop. Nope, I don’t do drugs, I don’t drink and drive and I certainly know better to not talk shit to a cop when you are carrying. Sit in county lockup for 14 hours and it’s hard to not to agree to anything. I see how they get people to confess to all kinds of things. Also, everyone says to sue the cop but every lawyer you talk to says it’s damn near impossible.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You are saying the same thing that everyone else has said. The problem is that you have to go to court. This isn itself is a cluster fuck. I might have to sit on the courthouse multiple times before I get to see a judge. The lawyer said do it this way and get it dismissed and then he would get the actual charge dropped. As far as legally the only issue is that you aren’t supposed to have it open in the seat of the car. It can be I. A holster on your person or under the seat or in the glove box or whatever but not open in the seat. I was never told that when I took the class for the permit. I was in a shit hood and hell yes I want it available. But that wasn’t what I was charged with. The charge says “ firearm in vehicle, no permit” which is bullshit. Everyone says I was drinking or on drugs or was a asshole to the cop. Nope, I don’t do drugs, I don’t drink and drive and I certainly know better to not talk shit to a cop when you are carrying. Sit in county lockup for 14 hours and it’s hard to not to agree to anything. I see how they get people to confess to all kinds of things. Also, everyone says to sue the cop but every lawyer you talk to says it’s damn near impossible.

I don’t know that I’d sue the cop, but I’d put the legal works in place to get things cleared. If you’re innocent as you say (not doubting, just making the statement) then getting that cleared up would be my priority.

A lawsuit, for me, would only come into play if I suffered some kind of a loss, injury, or other impact on my life….pick your battles. From what you say, this for me doesn’t roll up to that. But I would feel pretty damn insulted taking everything you’ve said at face value.

#93 2 years ago

I usually deserve what I get and I’m one that always says that rules are for everyone else but you don’t play around with guns and the law. I did have it sitting on the seat and you aren’t supposed to but i have taken the CCP class twice and I can’t recall ever being told that. In fact I had it, as I said, between my legs one day amd got pulled over and I told had it between my legs and he told me great thanks for telling me have a nice day. The cop had it in infor me I can tell you that.

#94 2 years ago

Damn...whenever I play guitar my dog takes off

#95 2 years ago

See any “Greek tomato’s” in the arboretum ZR? Look a hell of a lot like marijuana

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

See any “Greek tomato’s” in the arboretum ZR? Look a hell of a lot like marijuana

I’m at a total loss, I have no idea what you are talking about.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I’m at a total loss, I have no idea what you are talking about.

That's OK...neither do I
    How is the community service going Zr?

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

That's OK...neither do I
    How is the community service going Zr?

All I did was transplant plants all day. I’m done. I saw nothing that looked like doobage. What’s a Greek tomato?

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

All I did was transplant plants all day. I’m done. I saw nothing that looked like doobage. What’s a Greek tomato?

My late good friend "georgie" used to say to his neighbour when growing pot before legal...I'm growing Greek tomatoes. He was Greek btw.
    I miss him and think about him alot.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

If it was easy, everyone would do it. That’s what I tell myself over and over when I don’t feel like practicing. You just need to decide it’s something you are going to do and never look back.

Great advice

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-to-learn-to-play-guitar/page/2?hl=largemouthass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.