(Topic ID: 200247)

I need some advice about letting my best buddy go ...

By SUPERBEE

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 260 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PEACHES 3 (resized).jpg
dinky in her spongebob sweater 2007 (resized).jpg
puppers (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200430_001756 (resized).jpg
Kayla & Gizmo 2 (resized).jpg
cat2 (resized).jpg
cat3 (resized).jpg
cat1 (resized).jpg
maya (resized).jpeg
dacshaund army (resized).jpeg
april and daphne (resized).JPG
paradise (resized).JPG
9680936C-14B2-4AE0-AB74-06C4E9319F0C (resized).jpeg
FFBB143B-15A5-49A6-BE75-63ABDC959804 (resized).jpeg
zman (resized).jpeg
h5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 6 years ago

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. My only advice is if you know he is suffering to let him him/her go. I just went through this 3 months ago approximately and I am still heartbroken over it and it hasn't gotten any better at all.

I think what makes my situation so hard is that I got terrible medical advice from an emergency animal hospital (Med Vets Dayton Ohio) and that is why I chose to put him to sleep that awful night. The guilt is eating me up inside and now I have to live with it forever until the day that i die unfortunately. Buddy's passing is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life.

I really do wish you well in coping with this and im sorry that this is happening to you.

20170812_203856 (resized).jpg20170812_203856 (resized).jpg

#160 6 years ago

Sorry for your loss Superbee. You are a great pet owner and Gizmo was very lucky to have you. .....as you were very lucky to have such a great dog like him as well. I would love to be able to tell you that it gets better but unfortunately it doesnt, not for me it didn't anyway.

Take a little time to let all of this soak in and search for a new friend. Please consider adoption also, there are so many animals out there just like Gizmo that need a good home.

RIP Gizmo

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

So sorry to hear the bad news but Gizmo was suffering so it's for the best I guess. I've never had an pet so I don't fully understand what your going through but I have lost family members and friends so it must feel the same I guess. Are you going to have him buried at a pet cemetary?

Believe it or not, losing a pet is usually worse than losing a family member for some reason. Not always of course but it is alot of times. It's a very different experience and it's awful. Losing a child would obviously be worse but losing a pet that you are crazy about is no walk in the park, I can tell you that much. I never had a dog until I was 40 and now I don't ever want to be without one after experiencing how much happiness they give you.

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

OP, I am sorry I understand it's never easy.
My beloved best friend Maximus, (Golden Retriever) past away 4 days shy of 16th birthday in my home Sat around 9:45am, Oct 25,2001 to Oct 21,2017. I named him after the character Russell Crowe played in movie Gladiator in 2000 , I always name my best friends after Greek/Roman/GODs/old legends. I can tell you I am feel horrible, I miss him more than my limited vocabulary can type here, but I am grateful for my time with him, truly bro/kid watched him grow from young to old, extremely intelligent as well. Good bye old friend.
Last birthday pic, I had to cancel his cake this year.

Beautiful dog! RIP Maximus

1 month later
#190 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Hey guys, its been about 3 months since my buddy Gizmo passed and i thought i would bump this thread just in case someone else is going through this right now. Time does help but its still hard. I still think about Gizmo everyday and still cry once in a while but mainly when i look at photos or something in life comes up that brings me right back to him. Ive read over this thread many times and it really has been helpful. Again, to anyone going through this..it does get better. RIP Giz!! Miss you my wonderful friend.

It's been 4-5 months since we lost our dog and I wish that I could say it gets better but it hasn't so far at all. We even got another beautiful Basset Hound a couple weeks ago and it still hasn't made things any better yet. Getting another dog will help you cope with the loss though a little bit I guess but damn it still sucks.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I lost my Jack Russell "Rocky" in July 2015 after 15 years together. It still hurts and at this point in my life I can't even consider another dog. I can't go thru that loss again. I held him in my arms as his heart quit. Even seeing all the pet food ads on TV still hurts.

I understand that but look at it this way, the good times outweigh the bad times by a million miles. When I have a dog I am a much happier person.

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Exactly ! Its so hard to lose these animals that are soooo close to our hearts but as horrible as its been losing my pal , I wouldnt trade what i had with him through his life and mine for anything ever !!!

Yes I agree. Losing Buddy 4-5 months ago changed my life but there's one thing that can't be taken away from me and that's all of the great memories that me and him had together. I get to keep those forever and take those to my grave with me.

2 months later
#198 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Its been quite a few months since my buddy passed and Ive been doing pretty well but I have been looking at photos and watching videos of him tonight and its been a flood of emotions. Things are good but I still miss that old soul Gizmo ! My life is truly not the same without him. Been in tears tonight thinking about him. Doesnt hurt as often but when it does, it truly does ! God bless all of you that are going through this. Still cant believe he is gone.

Yeah its truly one of the worst things a person can ever go through. I would like to tell you it gets better but it doesnt. Its been 7 or 8 months i believe since i lost my Basset Hound and im still messed up over it, it has actually changed my life. We rescued another Basset Hound and hes a wonderful dog and we love the shit out of him but i still miss the one we lost badly. Sorry you are having a rough time, hang in there man.

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from Pneuma:

I had to put down my Basset Hound, Louie, almost a year and a half ago and I still miss him terribly and cry often. Losing him truly changed my life. These dogs bring you so much joy while they are here but leave such a hole in your heart when they have to go...

Agree 100% and well said.

5 months later
#208 5 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

In the craziest turn of events as the vet was leaving to come to our home and put Alice down she got up and started walking again so they want me to bring her back for some test and they want to monitor her for a week before we go any farther.the tears are drying up but I know with her being 10 and all she's been through I'll be in this same spot next week or next year.this dog is just to tough for her own good making it hard to know what's going on with her and if it's her time.I'm starting to think she played me for a last meal of charcuterie.
First pic is at the vet this morning 2nd pic is her last meal pic and I even let her chew up the paper bowl
[quoted image][quoted image]

She’s beautiful, i hope things turn around and get better for you guys.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Im in the same boat as many in this thread. Had to say goodbye to one of my girls Friday. We have had our black lab mix Assabelle for almost 14 years. Her health had gone down over the years and was on a pain medicene for arthritis. A month ago she was starting to breath hard. We took her to the vet to see what was causing it. Vitals were checked and he said she was fine, and that sometimes they will breath that way from stress and/or heat.
Luckily, we were on vacation for a week a couple weeks ago and she stayed the same then, I would have hated for my parents to have had to deal with it and call us while we were away.
So come to Friday. I get her food and she doesn't come to me, this is my girl that has been on a diet for years, so she runs as fast as she can when its time to eat. I knew something was wrong, I went to her and she was kicking her legs trying to get up and couldn't. I knew in my heart, this was her last day. I go to the fridge and get out some lunch meats, and set out a couple pounds of bacon to cook. I am going to let her go with a full belly and happy. My kids and I are all surrounding her and holding her at the top of our stairs, her spot that she always sat waiting on us to come home. She died with us surrounding her. One of the most painful things that I have had to deal with, especially when my four kids are there and their is nothing that I can do at all.
We talked about what to do with her and the kids wanted to bury her, but was afraid that our other dog (German Shepard who I got for the sole purpose of giving Assabelle a companion) would try to dig. SO we decided to bury her at my parents land. We did it in style, we each drove our cars, 7 cars, with our hazards on and in the style of a funeral possession. We even had a train stop us, and I think that was so that I could spend a couple extra minutes with my girl. We all helped dig, we laid her down, We each spoke of our grates memory of her, laid a few flowers on her and covered her up. When we were all done, we planted some flowers on top of her.
She will be greatly missed, and I really think that she did things for a reason. We have had the talks about having to put her down and such, and I think that she wanted to save us from making the decision, and that she wanted to pass laying in her favorite place with her loved ones around her.
Troy
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow. ....that was hard to read. Sorry for your loss. She was beautiful and Labs are the best!

1 month later
#220 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Havent been posting much lately as its been a really busy summer but my thought are still with everyone going through this. Its been almost a year since we had to let Gizmo go, and while it does get easier, its still really hard to talk about him or look at his photos without feeling extremely sad but we do all the time. Will never forget my buddy !!

Same here Superbee. Its been around a year for me as well and im still sad. We got a new dog that is the best dog anyone could ever ask for but i still can't get over the loss of my last one. There was a special bond there that can't be replaced ever. It sucks man really bad.

8 months later
#237 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Going to have to let my 14 year old cat go tomorrow I think. Been my "ride or die homie" since a few years out of college. Almost lost her last year around this time. Vet told us she may have to be put down last year, but I didn't give up and kept trying foods and finally got her eating some grilled chicken or hot dog and she regained her appetite. In the end we thought *maybe* she had an allergic reaction to grain-free food or there were toxins in wet food we tried when she seemed disinterested in dry food. Switched to Meow Mix & she was good for the last 8+ months.
2 weeks ago, out of nowhere, she stopped eating again. It's now looking like it's her time. I've done everything I could to get her interested in eating more, but any response to foods is short-lived & she's now just eating a small handful of cat treats a day. Not active, not very social, mostly sleeps. I did take her outside a few times this week so she could "feel like a cat", which she seemed to like.
It's not easy being in the position of when to decide it's time. Hard too when you've helped them through another difficult time and they bounced back. Vet appt scheduled for tomorrow & I'm prepared to say goodbye.
[quoted image]

Good luck and stay positive. Sometimes cats live much longer than 14 years so its possible that maybe they can help her. I hope things work out ok for you guys.

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

That's a cool story! Sounds like he lived a very full life!

Thanks! I did take her in on Monday, in the pouring rain. Had the option of putting her down or running bloodwork.
$243 later for bloodwork, fluids & an appetite stimulate, I left in the rain with the cat.
Not sure if it was the right decision. This is different than last year, but worse in its own way. Last year I could actually have made the call easier since she looked a lot worse in her eyes and wasn't able to move around much. I'm not even sure how she pulled through that, the vet had all but given up on her. But that experience makes it hard to call it for her this year because she seems alert enough at times, normal-ish enough in some of the behavior. Yet with only eating maybe 20 calories a day when for her weight she should be eating 150 calories, I know where that's headed too.
Regardless of what needs to happen, I'm just going to be relieved when it's over. This in-between stuff and not knowing what's best for the animal is tough.

You did the right thing Ace. You are giving her a chance. The bloodwork results hopefully will reveal what is wrong and what path that you should take. Its too bad that all pets in this world cant have an owner as good as you. Thank you for trying to help her.

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Thank you! I got the bloodwork results and it's not looking good. Anemia and indications of liver disease. Compared to last year's tests I was told these do look worse. Of course there's always options to possibly help them hang on longer, no guarantees though & you have to ask yourself is it for you or your pet. Without eating much, I don't want to see her continue wasting away while things are tried and getting to the point she's really looking like she's suffering which may happen in days not weeks.
I'm going to let her go tonight. I'm sad about it, but at the same time trying to keep in mind this is feeling like what will be best for her rather than starving herself to death or not being able to live a normal life. So fortunate to have had another 8+ months with her.
Yesterday was great weather so she had a full afternoon outside with me.
I wasn't doing much writing though..
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
She seems to love it outside. Last night I had her on the couch with me during a movie, got up and set her down on the floor & she ran to the sliding door door, between the blinds... wanting to go outside, but finding out it was dark. My wife and I got emotional.. it was awesome to see she loved being outside that much these last few weeks.
We'll be making a day of it outside again today. Vet appointment isn't until the evening.
I'm trying not to be way upset with all of this. I've had emotions all over the place and sentimentally it's very hard, but it comes down to what's best for her for quality of life. If I'm pumping her full of medications and running invasive tests and prolonging things while she wastes away, I don't see it as being for her more than it is for me. I'd rather see her go out still seeming somewhat comfortable and knowing I did what I could to make some of her good days even better.
This cat has provided me with so many laughs and so much companionship over the years. I could kneel down on the ground and show her I was excited to see her and she'd make a sound of recognition/happiness just about every time. That hasn't happened in a few weeks, she's really not been very social, but just seeing her walk over to me yesterday some outside and lay down.. it's been a nice way for both of us to say goodbye.
So yeah, I'm glad I waited a few days. Monday wasn't right. Pouring rain the entire day, pouring rain a few days before that. And just knowing the test results helps too. With yesterday's sunshine & today looking good as well, this way I can feel like I did something for her even up to the very end and we had a bit more time together.
Thanks to those that offered support & listened. Really to the OP & anyone posting in this thread with stories, memories, kind words. This isn't a forum for pets, but it's great to see the kindness, compassion and support here for people that have lost pets or trying to decide what's best for them.

Sorry to hear Ace, i was really hoping for the best for you and her. Ive been there several times and its hard. When i had to let.my dog go a couple years ago i just sat in my basement for four days and stared at the walls wondering if i would ever get to see him again someday. I probably would have sat down there longer had i not had company come in from out of town. Im still sad about losing him two years later.

Hang in there buddy and try and focus on the food times you had with her. You did all of the right things and tried everything that you could do to help her and i am sure that she would thank you for it if ahe could.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-some-advice-about-letting-my-best-buddy-go?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.