(Topic ID: 200247)

I need some advice about letting my best buddy go ...

By SUPERBEE

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 260 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PEACHES 3 (resized).jpg
dinky in her spongebob sweater 2007 (resized).jpg
puppers (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200430_001756 (resized).jpg
Kayla & Gizmo 2 (resized).jpg
cat2 (resized).jpg
cat3 (resized).jpg
cat1 (resized).jpg
maya (resized).jpeg
dacshaund army (resized).jpeg
april and daphne (resized).JPG
paradise (resized).JPG
9680936C-14B2-4AE0-AB74-06C4E9319F0C (resized).jpeg
FFBB143B-15A5-49A6-BE75-63ABDC959804 (resized).jpeg
zman (resized).jpeg
h5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nyp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#135 6 years ago

My first cat lived 25 years and when she started to fail from Leukemia her back legs gave out and the vet said I should put her down. Watching her drag herself around the room by her front paws made me a wreck. I concocted a platform and some wheels from a toy to help her but it was quite a sad sight watching her fail. She lasted a few weeks like that and I knew I had to put her down, best I could do was go in with her for euthanasia.

Another cat had a tumor on her head and she stopped eating. I had an idea and went on you tube and found a veterinarian who had a video showing how to put the cat food in a blender and used a turkey baster syringe to squirt the food into her mouth. I did this 3 times a day for 3 years to keep that cat alive. One day she collapsed and I knew it was time.

Another cat had a thyroid condition and I got him treated and he lasted a few more months. He started hiding in the closet and then one day he let out a shriek and started convulsing, the scariest sight and sound that I can still feel in my bones to this day. The vet told me I waited too long (obviously) and that's what happens when animals are about to die.

My current cat was diagnosed with IMHA ( auto-immune disease that kills red blood cells ) but with medication he has been doing well. I came close to putting him down but the vet kept him alive with numerous transfusions until we found the right medication. I would like to share some wisdom. When an animal starts hiding, changes it's behavior and becomes less playful, or stops eating, take it to the vet immediately. Watch the gums, if they lose their pink color and turn pale it's serious. There is a fine line between waiting too soon or too long to put them down. Animals hide pain VERY well, unlike humans. Make sure you're not keeping the animal alive for selfish reasons. And do your homework when buying from unscrupulous pet mills.

Best of luck to all of you animal lovers and thanks for sharing these personal stories. It made me feel like I'm not unique about how I feel so strongly for animals.

Hobo - The NY Pinball Mascot and supervisor/helper

IMG_2045 (resized).JPGIMG_2045 (resized).JPG

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Wow that's a long life for a cat, dog, hell any domesticated animal you must have taken very good care of her.

Funny thing is, I only took her to the vet once when I first got her, for her vaccinations and spaying, that's it, until 25 years later when she was failing. The vets tell you a small percentage of animals actually can get sick from vaccinations but that it's still better to get them vaccinated, sometimes I wonder. Indoor cats obviously live longer, which she was. According to my vet, pet illnesses have increased in recent years, makes you wonder if it's vaccinations or something in their food, who knows. Hope Gizmo is doing ok.....

#155 6 years ago

Very very sorry for your loss. I can honestly say I know how you feel. I hope the good memories help ease the pain. At least Gizmo was lucky to find a good loving family, not all pets are that lucky.

#182 6 years ago

I'm also very sorry to hear about Scooter. It seems when animals get sick they decline very quick. I hope the good memories overpower the sorrow you're going through.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nyp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-some-advice-about-letting-my-best-buddy-go?tu=nyp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.