(Topic ID: 200247)

I need some advice about letting my best buddy go ...

By SUPERBEE

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 260 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PEACHES 3 (resized).jpg
dinky in her spongebob sweater 2007 (resized).jpg
puppers (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200430_001756 (resized).jpg
Kayla & Gizmo 2 (resized).jpg
cat2 (resized).jpg
cat3 (resized).jpg
cat1 (resized).jpg
maya (resized).jpeg
dacshaund army (resized).jpeg
april and daphne (resized).JPG
paradise (resized).JPG
9680936C-14B2-4AE0-AB74-06C4E9319F0C (resized).jpeg
FFBB143B-15A5-49A6-BE75-63ABDC959804 (resized).jpeg
zman (resized).jpeg
h5 (resized).jpeg
There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 4 years ago

You're doing the right thing Ace.

I went through this with a cat I had for 16 years. At the time, I balled at the vets. Literally balled. One of the hardest things to do in life is lose a beloved pet.

After all was said and done and he was buried, I felt better. Now all I do is look back at the memories (which there are a LOT) and laugh at the funny times and things he would do. His personality. I gave that little guy a damn good life.

I'm sure you've done the same. But you're doing the right thing.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

You're doing the right thing Ace.
I went through this with a cat I had for 16 years. At the time, I balled at the vets. Literally balled. One of the hardest things to do in life is lose a beloved pet.
After all was said and done and he was buried, I felt better. Now all I do is look back at the memories (which there are a LOT) and laugh at the funny times and things he would do. His personality. I gave that little guy a damn good life.
I'm sure you've done the same. But you're doing the right thing.

Thanks! Expecting to do the same with balling my eyes out. I'd like to hold it together but don't see it happening.

I definitely agree with what you've said. Remembering all the funny stuff. This is just part of life, everything returns to the earth. Better to have loved and had them in our lives than to never have experienced that companionship.

Speaking of funny, here's a picture from Monday when I got home from the vet. She was trying to climb the whole way in the bag. Didn't eat anything, but made me laugh. Thousands of moment like this make me glad to have had her all these years.

cat2 (resized).jpgcat2 (resized).jpg

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I'm going to let her go tonight. I'm sad about it, but at the same time trying to keep in mind this is feeling like what will be best for her rather than starving herself to death or not being able to live a normal life.

I'm sorry to hear that...I was rooting for her to pull through. Not to change your mind about the timing, but we used a service that came to the house. No cat kennels, car rides or strange places. We wanted it to be as peaceful as possible for Calvin. I'm not sure if it would be something to consider or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there in case you weren't aware of such services.

He was able to lay in his favorite spot surrounded by his favorite toys.

On a side note, I need to stop looking at this thread at work. Nothing like getting all teary-eyed at my desk.

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Thank you! I got the bloodwork results and it's not looking good. Anemia and indications of liver disease. Compared to last year's tests I was told these do look worse. Of course there's always options to possibly help them hang on longer, no guarantees though & you have to ask yourself is it for you or your pet. Without eating much, I don't want to see her continue wasting away while things are tried and getting to the point she's really looking like she's suffering which may happen in days not weeks.
I'm going to let her go tonight. I'm sad about it, but at the same time trying to keep in mind this is feeling like what will be best for her rather than starving herself to death or not being able to live a normal life. So fortunate to have had another 8+ months with her.
Yesterday was great weather so she had a full afternoon outside with me.
I wasn't doing much writing though..
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
She seems to love it outside. Last night I had her on the couch with me during a movie, got up and set her down on the floor & she ran to the sliding door door, between the blinds... wanting to go outside, but finding out it was dark. My wife and I got emotional.. it was awesome to see she loved being outside that much these last few weeks.
We'll be making a day of it outside again today. Vet appointment isn't until the evening.
I'm trying not to be way upset with all of this. I've had emotions all over the place and sentimentally it's very hard, but it comes down to what's best for her for quality of life. If I'm pumping her full of medications and running invasive tests and prolonging things while she wastes away, I don't see it as being for her more than it is for me. I'd rather see her go out still seeming somewhat comfortable and knowing I did what I could to make some of her good days even better.
This cat has provided me with so many laughs and so much companionship over the years. I could kneel down on the ground and show her I was excited to see her and she'd make a sound of recognition/happiness just about every time. That hasn't happened in a few weeks, she's really not been very social, but just seeing her walk over to me yesterday some outside and lay down.. it's been a nice way for both of us to say goodbye.
So yeah, I'm glad I waited a few days. Monday wasn't right. Pouring rain the entire day, pouring rain a few days before that. And just knowing the test results helps too. With yesterday's sunshine & today looking good as well, this way I can feel like I did something for her even up to the very end and we had a bit more time together.
Thanks to those that offered support & listened. Really to the OP & anyone posting in this thread with stories, memories, kind words. This isn't a forum for pets, but it's great to see the kindness, compassion and support here for people that have lost pets or trying to decide what's best for them.

Sorry to hear Ace, i was really hoping for the best for you and her. Ive been there several times and its hard. When i had to let.my dog go a couple years ago i just sat in my basement for four days and stared at the walls wondering if i would ever get to see him again someday. I probably would have sat down there longer had i not had company come in from out of town. Im still sad about losing him two years later.

Hang in there buddy and try and focus on the food times you had with her. You did all of the right things and tried everything that you could do to help her and i am sure that she would thank you for it if ahe could.

#255 4 years ago

Very sorry to hear, but I think you are doing the right thing for all. Glad you've got to spend some time with them.

11 months later
#256 3 years ago

Its been a couple of years since Gizmo has been gone and although i still miss him dearly, Im doing ok with it. I wanted to resurrect this thread so that it can help others as it really helped me. Hearing what others were and are going through and i honestly come back to it every now and then for comfort when Im missing my buddy. Hoping that all of you that have and are going through this are doing ok. Thought i would share what my brother did for us. He is an artist and did a hand drawn charcoal drawing of Gizmo from a photo we had with Gizmo and my daughter many years ago Christmas morning. We had given our daughter a piano for Christmas and the music on the piano was Rudolph the red nosed reindeer but my brother changed the sheet music in the drawing to a song by Simon and Garfunkel called "I miss my dog" . Pretty cool ! We had it framed about 6 months ago. Its now hanging in my man cave garage . He wore that leach for the last 5 years of his life and the paw print we did the day he died.

Kayla & Gizmo 2 (resized).jpgKayla & Gizmo 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200430_001756 (resized).jpgIMG_20200430_001756 (resized).jpg

#257 3 years ago

That's amazing man. Might not be much but , Yuki and Cammy say hi!

puppers (resized).jpegpuppers (resized).jpeg

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Its been a couple of years since Gizmo has been gone and although i still miss him dearly

You're brother obviously loves you and wanted to capture one those moments you deem precious, he did an excellent job, enjoy all that it means to you and thanks for sharing with us. I think about my little Peaches and Dinky damn near everyday and your right it helps when others share their experiences, you get a sense of comfort from it knowing you're not alone with your loss.

PEACHES 3 (resized).jpgPEACHES 3 (resized).jpgdinky in her spongebob sweater 2007 (resized).jpgdinky in her spongebob sweater 2007 (resized).jpg
#259 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Yuki and Cammy say hi!

Love those little Yorkie's, their faces are the cutest. My Yorkie Nikki is quite the little hunter and man what a loose tongue, she'll lick you to death!

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

He is an artist and did a hand drawn charcoal drawing of Gizmo from a photo we had with Gizmo

Maybe it's because I'm not much of an artist, but to me, that drawing looks amazing.
I would have takin' it as an older black and white photo..

There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-some-advice-about-letting-my-best-buddy-go/page/6?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.