(Topic ID: 200247)

I need some advice about letting my best buddy go ...

By SUPERBEE

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 260 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PEACHES 3 (resized).jpg
dinky in her spongebob sweater 2007 (resized).jpg
puppers (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200430_001756 (resized).jpg
Kayla & Gizmo 2 (resized).jpg
cat2 (resized).jpg
cat3 (resized).jpg
cat1 (resized).jpg
maya (resized).jpeg
dacshaund army (resized).jpeg
april and daphne (resized).JPG
paradise (resized).JPG
9680936C-14B2-4AE0-AB74-06C4E9319F0C (resized).jpeg
FFBB143B-15A5-49A6-BE75-63ABDC959804 (resized).jpeg
zman (resized).jpeg
h5 (resized).jpeg
There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 6 years ago

Sorry to hear about this Super. At 17 he's had a good long life. Do what you think is best for your friend.

#52 6 years ago

I had to have our 16 year old Yorkie to sleep last summer (July 20 -I remember because it was easily the second worst day of my life). We had him for exactly 16 years and one day. I have had a lot of dogs but he was special to me so I kept him through the trying times of his deterioration. He couldn't hold it for more than a few hours so I usually came home to a mess and had to get up in the middle of the night to let him out. He couldn't jump any more so my husband built him doggie steps. But he seemed happy so we were willing to make adjustments. Then he developed congestive heart failure and suddenly his organs gave out. Within a few days and he was a totally different dog so we made a difficult decision. I took him in and rubbed his head and looked in his eyes while the vet administered the medicine. It was very peaceful for him.

I feel for anyone that has to go through that. It's the terrible price we pay for having them. I would focus on his quality of life. Is he happy? Is he in pain? That is where you will find your answer and the strength you need to get through it. Prayers for you and Gizmo.

And because I think he was a super cool dog and I can't help but brag about him even though he's gone. Here are some pics of Sammy Lee.

IMG_1955 (resized).JPGIMG_1955 (resized).JPG

IMG_1956 (resized).JPGIMG_1956 (resized).JPG

#53 6 years ago

Very sorry to hear My prayers go out to you and your dog!

#54 6 years ago

The day after valentine's i awoke to my best friends ( 9 year old german shorthair)entire back end being paralyzed out of nowhere.we took her to the vet but they figured she slipped a disk and would get better but it turned out it was a rare disease called dyscospondalitis so we had to operate immediately as the infection was quickly killing her.I had been driving a 93 cutlass and luckily I had saved $18000 for a new vehicle that i desperatly needed but I spent every penny on my Alice plus some.I'm probably around 20k at this point and although she is able to walk again albeit like a baby deer, she can walk but now she is having control issues with her poop and urine and she moans a lot despite giving her pain pills I love my dog to much or I would not of spent the money on her but I'm starting to think her quality of life isn't what I would want for mine and it might be time to say goodbye.I don't have children and I care for my pets better than most care for their kids so of course I'm a wreck.Alice will be my last pet as I am not strong enough to deal with this again.

#55 6 years ago

2017 has been rough, we lost Beanie to cancer this year Love him and miss him so much, he was a huge part of my childhood

401AE811-B28B-4C4B-91CD-AF797E36D47C (resized).jpeg401AE811-B28B-4C4B-91CD-AF797E36D47C (resized).jpeg

#56 6 years ago

I hate you for starting this thread, I really do. I had to do this to a puppy that was a year old that had a bad heart. He was a boxer but he was dumb as a doorknob but we loved him. When we decided as a family that it was time I stayed home from work and I took him for a long slow walk in the wood then a long slow car ride. All this with my other dog who stayed with him and played with him. When we got home I fed them other a breakfast of bacon and eggs. When we got to the vet I fed him beef jerked and loved him till he was gone. Then I cried like a baby in front of the whole vet staff and embarrassed myself. Now I am crying like a bitch in at my business. I don't envy you having to do this but we all have to die and the dog was loved his whole life.

I'm sorry

#57 6 years ago

It's obvious Gizmo could not have wished for a better Family Home..
Please let us know what the Doc had to say..

#58 6 years ago

So sry bud...it's the worst....when I was 16 yrs old I got Cheech...coolest red Dobie...we had a wonderful 11 yrs together...once the pee starts dripping and the legs start to bang on the stairs (hurting their legs) it's time...I sat on the ground with him the night before and cryed my heart out...(a goddamn tear is rolling down my face as I type this.!!!)...the next morning I made him a big ass Bacon Burger...and took him in...as devastating as it was it was also refreshing knowing he would not suffer any more...and just like anything in life...time does help...
So we enjoyed life without animals for a few years...and then purchased heartbreak again (that's what you are doing when you buy animals...with the exception of a tortoise)...and here is Halo under the A.C. on a hot day a few weeks ago.................Joey

3518B9FB-ACFA-4D62-9414-5B882A1490F8 (resized).JPG3518B9FB-ACFA-4D62-9414-5B882A1490F8 (resized).JPG

#59 6 years ago

Oh God. I can't read this. It makes me too sad. I'm a pussy I guess.

#60 6 years ago

I know the day will come for my family dog as well. This is totally heart wrenching. But some things are for the best. Definately not the best for you. But the best for him.
So sorry man. Hope you and your family can get through this as smoothly as possible.

#61 6 years ago

It sucks all around. We lost our German sheppard and Samoyed (Sunny and Star) within a month of each other years ago. We had to put them down. I had a hard time walking into the building as I knew what was to come. Believe me it was the worst, I never ever felt like that at any funeral.

Hang In there!!!!!

#62 6 years ago

Sad .... Dreading the day that I must deal with this ....

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#63 6 years ago

I'm so sorry for both you and Gizmo. I'm not going to reiterate what everyone else has said, it's all true, but I'd like to impart one piece of advice to you:

I've had dogs and cats over the years and every time I've brought them to the vet's office for their "last visit". In 2014, when my cat Atticus, who I loved more than anything, was losing his battle with cancer, I knew his time was short and he would have to make that "last visit" too. Now, my vet is/was great, and he was one of her favorite patients, but this time there was no way on his last day that I was going to take him out of the house on a bumpy car ride and have his last moments on a cold table under bright lights in a noisy office.

I got in touch with a company called "Pet Loss At Home" - the name pretty much says it all - and made an appointment to have a qualified representative come to my home for that last visit. My Atticus left me at last in a quiet room, on his comfy couch and blanket where he slept every night, with my arms around him. It was the best choice in a bad situation, and I'll do it again with all my pets in the future.

It's going to hurt for a long while and you'll always miss him, but it gets better with time. Since we're all sharing photos, here's my boy.

100_1558 (resized).JPG100_1558 (resized).JPG

#64 6 years ago

Big hugs and kisses for Gizmo today....
This topic is killing me , tears, thank you for sharing.

#65 6 years ago

Sorry that this is happening.

The first time I ever experienced true grief I had no clue what was going on, what was normal... what to do...

Friends and family are one of the best resources... but also for me it was beneficial to understand what was happening, what was normal, and what could be done. This book was a great resource... perhaps it could be for you too?
GriefRecoveryHandbook (resized).jpgGriefRecoveryHandbook (resized).jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Grief-Recovery-Handbook-Anniversary-Expanded/dp/0061686077/ref=sr_1_1

#66 6 years ago

Someone tell me this. How do you love a animal more than you love anything in the world? I don't know how to say this but I love my dog more than I love most people in my family except my wife and kids. I felt more pain when I put Cooper down than I did when my grandmother died. I cant imagine what it will be like when my buddy of 6 years leaves me. He sleeps on me at night he is everywhere I am if he can be. I swear I could beat the shit out of that dog, not that I would, and he would still love me. I don't deserve the love I get from that dog. I wish I could not love him so I won't feel anything when he is gone.

#67 6 years ago

From 2011:

sweet pea (resized).jpgsweet pea (resized).jpg

The world didn't take note when my best friend died; such an insignificant little fellow.
There weren't any newsbreaks, memorials, funerals or wakes.
In my world there was nothing else. The tragedy was so geat as to swallow the universe entire.
As a puppy you could hold him in the palm of one hand. So small, yet so full of energy, life and love.
To see the expression on his face as he tried a food for the first time, experiencing each new flavor.
To hand-wrestle with him as he tried to nibble my nose.
Suddenly gone, the terrible void is filled with memories of what used to fill it.
The way his nails click-clacked on the tile floor when he walked, and how the scirtched-scirtched-scirtched when we played "I'm Gonna Get That Puppy!"
His nails on my thigh as he tried to climb my leg. His alert oil-drop eyes that would follow you without his head moving. His vigilant, fearless (well, mostly fearless) protetion of his small realm. His world-class squirrel-chasing ability, and how he leapt and pounced into the air to get a better perspective on his ever-elusive prey. How he viciously attacted fallen leaves without mercy. The shock of his cold wet nose followed by the warmth of his tongue. The tappa-tappa-tappa sound of his ears as he shook out the cobwebs after arising from a nap.
His moan as he yawned. How he loved getting raspberries blown on his stomach and neck. How he sat up and begged for everything you ate.
How he knew his toys by name. How he pranced so proudly surveying his territory.
How he loved his momma and daddy. And so much more that filled three lives with joy, so much more I weep to remember.
I was not his owner, for he owned me as much as I him.
He is gone now, taken much too soon, but his body couldn't survive his exuberance.
I loved him like a son and my heart is fractured in mourning. I am immaculately destroyed.
I love you Sweet Pea, be a good boy and I'll see you soon.
-Daddy
Please see my Sweet Pea picture folder for the best boy ever to live in a dog's form.

Don't let the little feller suffer.

#68 6 years ago

I went through this over the last year. After being told our 14 yr old lab only had a couple weeks, we brought her home and just enjoyed as much of our time with her as we could. That day, I gave myself a meter as to when I would make the call to the vet to do an in-home euthanasia (super super highly recommended; it made it easier on both of us). The day Signal stopped eating (my meter) & subsequently lost the ability to even stand, I had to make the call. It took me hours to get up the nerve to do so (what if she bounced back again tomorrow?). I loved that dog so much. My advice for Giz is that you should give yourself an absolute line in the sand as to when you'll need to make the call. I really recommend in-home services if you can afford them and if they're available in your area. It's disturbing how pleasant that made this terrible situation.

As far as the tumor goes, I had this issue with Signal. I just coated the wound in Neosporin and bandaged it daily. It got better. She also got pretty bad about peeing in the house, but adapted to using pee pads.

However this goes, it sounds like it was a great long life. Take solace in that.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

We can't deal with that again.

Word to that. I went like 8 years between pets because of this exact feeling.

Quoted from TRAMD:

After I gave her to them, I left. I didn't want to see her dead and I think that has made it easier for me and the kids.

Had to have my wife be in the room with the last cat. No way in hell I was even remotely capable of being in that room. I'm barely even capable of typing this, that long after the fact.

Quoted from zr11990:

I love my dog more than I love most people in my family except my wife and kids. I felt more pain when I put Cooper down than I did when my grandmother died.

Odd. That was my last cat's name too.

How? Because animals aren't f'ing pricks unless you're a prick to them first. Humans, we'll go out of our way just to be a-holes to anything we perceive as different or abnormal, regardless of if it was even remotely a threat or not.

#70 6 years ago

<--- Yeah, my 17 year old Maltese is getting to that age as well.
She went deaf about a year ago. For past few months - she can barely take 4 or 5 steps without a face plant. Now I noticed her vision is starting to go. Pretty sad.

#71 6 years ago

Any news from the vet? Hoping he's OK!

#72 6 years ago

Been blubbering nearly the entire time I've been reading this thread. It's been 10 years since I had to say so-long to Bones. Still can't stand to think about that day.

BonesPorch (resized).jpgBonesPorch (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago

Very tough thing to handle...I’m so sorry you are going through this.....

Sasha, my Rottweiler of 12 year’s, helped me get through raising my ( then young) daughters, when I was a single dad years ago. Cancer took her fairly quick, and the vet came to my house to put her down....I had her head in my hands and she was looking right at me when she passed. I cried for ( what seems like) an eternity. Her collar hangs in my shop, and the Christmas ornament we had for her hangs on the tree every year, bringing tears.

As others have said, spoil them , take pics, but ultimately do what’s best for them, not you. Minimize their suffering will help you come to terms, knowing you did the right thing. You will know when it’s time....

A miserable experience....I wish you the best, moving forward....mark

#74 6 years ago

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. My only advice is if you know he is suffering to let him him/her go. I just went through this 3 months ago approximately and I am still heartbroken over it and it hasn't gotten any better at all.

I think what makes my situation so hard is that I got terrible medical advice from an emergency animal hospital (Med Vets Dayton Ohio) and that is why I chose to put him to sleep that awful night. The guilt is eating me up inside and now I have to live with it forever until the day that i die unfortunately. Buddy's passing is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life.

I really do wish you well in coping with this and im sorry that this is happening to you.

20170812_203856 (resized).jpg20170812_203856 (resized).jpg

#75 6 years ago

I've heard it's actually rather painless. If you want a pet that will outlive you, get a tortoise.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've heard it's actually rather painless.

WTF? Why would you post this goofy picture of a dog getting the shot? We're all adults and know what the final vet visit entails. This is just poor taste.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've heard it's actually rather painless. If you want a pet that will outlive you, get a tortoise.

you insensitive lovely person

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wow... thank you for deleting it...

#79 6 years ago

To the OP, thoughts and prayers are with you and your little friend.

#80 6 years ago

You guys are too much! You don't think I've had pets that died? Picture removed...

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Megatron, who has been horribly sick for the last week as well and almost didn't make it, sends his best wishes and support no matter what decision you make.

All I can think about when I see this picture are the twins from The Shining.

#82 6 years ago

Very sad to read this. Have been through this myself. If your cat is still alive, give some extra love to them as well, because they feel the loss too. I know this from experience. Thoughts are with you.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guys are too much! You don't think I've had pets that died? Picture removed...

you cross a line every so often...

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

you cross a line every so often...

I've maybe seen too many pets die.

#86 6 years ago

I hope your dog is ok and it isn't time yet but I wanted to post something to cheer people up. Download the iFunny app and search dogs and you will see some really funny sweet dogs, memes and pics

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah well, I've maybe seen too many pets die.

Yeah well, I've maybe seen too many douche nozzle posts.

#88 6 years ago

Hours later and some of you still can't let something go.

#89 6 years ago

I know what I'm going to do on my dog when her time is here, which I know is coming up soon. I took her to a vet just last month, and I was so scared that she might not come home that day so I even called my parents to go with my family incase we had to make the decision for support, which being 47 myself, send childish there I had my parents, but she is family.
But I guarantee, that the night before I have to take her in, that she is getting five pounds of bacon, a ribeye, a Big Mac and a cake. If I have to make the decision that it's time, she is going to be happy when it happens regardless of how I will feel

#90 6 years ago

I’m so sorry you are hurting right now. I know exactly how you feel. Last year I lost my cat of 18 years to old age. My wife and I got him right after we got married. He was our first kid. He welcomed us home every night and slept on her head every night those 18 yrs, until two days before he passed. He went hiding, which is a cat thing. In the middle of the night we heard him crying in pain the night before we had to let him go. Just gut wrenching. He was our family even before we had one. He died in our arms at the vet, I could feel him go. My heart skipped a beat at the very moment. I miss him so.. my advice is love him to the last. Unfortunately you will know when it’s days and not someday..take care.

#91 6 years ago

Hi everyone. Sorry its taken this long to respond. I havent been able to get back to my pc until now. I really want to thank everyone for their kind words . It really means a lot to me. I also want to say a special thanks to those who responded that re going through the same thing as me right now.
So, we took gizmo to the vet and he has many issues. Something is wrong with his hip that is causing him pain. The vet also believes his kidneys are starting to slowly fail. The vet also thinks that the growth on his groin could very well be cancer but cannot be sure unless we do a bunch of tests. She prescribed pain meds and ani biotics and we decided that we are not going to put him through a bunch of tests at this point. He is home and with the pain meds he is much more comfortable and settled. We are going to just keep him happy and comfy as long as we can whether that will be days/ weeks/ or months we will see but its just not his time to go yet. The moment we feel his is not happy and comfortable then the decision will be made.

#93 6 years ago

So glad he is managing the pain better. Wishing you as many more days together as possible.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Hi everyone. Sorry its taken this long to respond. I havent been able to get back to my pc until now. I really want to thank everyone for their kind words . It really means a lot to me. I also want to say a special thanks to those who responded that re going through the same thing as me right now.
So, we took gizmo to the vet and he has many issues. Something is wrong with his hip that is causing him pain. The vet also believes his kidneys are starting to slowly fail. The vet also thinks that the growth on his groin could very well be cancer but cannot be sure unless we do a bunch of tests. She prescribed pain meds and ani biotics and we decided that we are not going to put him through a bunch of tests at this point. He is home and with the pain meds he is much more comfortable and settled. We are going to just keep him happy and comfy as long as we can whether that will be days/ weeks/ or months we will see but its just not his time to go yet. The moment we feel his is not happy and comfortable then the decision will be made.

Sounds like a good responsible choice. Keep him happy and enjoy everyday together you can!

#95 6 years ago

It's always tough to know when to make the call. For me it was when he really couldn't stand anymore. I mean, he wasn't in any pain yet really, he could still see...but I mean when you can't fucking walk across the kitchen floor without slipping and falling it just seemed like the right time. At that age you know it's not going to get any better.

#96 6 years ago

My best bud. I would have given up all my pins for more time. I am tearing up. Toughest decision ever. Miss her every day. 14 years was not enough. Enjoy the time together.

IMG_7528 (resized).JPGIMG_7528 (resized).JPG
IMG_7536 (resized).JPGIMG_7536 (resized).JPG

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For me it was when he really couldn't stand anymore. I mean, he wasn't in any pain yet really, he could still see...but I mean when you can't fucking walk across the kitchen floor without slipping and falling it just seemed like the right time. At that age you know it's not going to get any better.

That is a good indicator. I lost my last dog in my arms on a Father's day, but she had a good long life and similar symptoms, though the walking wasn't quite a problem yet. I lost a cat who went through a heartbreaking 6 months of slow deterioration due to bone marrow cancer at 10 years old. I lost another cat instantly to a visiting dog which was tramatic to say the least... and several other animals to old age. Slow or fast, it's all terrible, but it's still worth all those years of joy. Cherish the time you have left, which goes for pets and people.

The key decision is when the suffering is too much... whatever that means to you and your vet. It's an awful thing to deal with.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's always tough to know when to make the call. For me it was when he really couldn't stand anymore. I mean, he wasn't in any pain yet really, he could still see...but I mean when you can't fucking walk across the kitchen floor without slipping and falling it just seemed like the right time. At that age you know it's not going to get any better.

So true Levi !

Quoted from shlockdoc:

My best bud. I would have given up all my pins for more time. I am tearing up. Toughest decision ever. Miss her every day. 14 years was not enough. Enjoy the time together.

She was soo cute Schlockdoc , sorry for you loss.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I lost my last dog in my arms on a Father's day, but she had a good long life and similar symptoms, though the walking wasn't quite a problem yet. I lost a cat who went through a heartbreaking 6 months of slow deterioration due to bone marrow cancer at 10 years old. I lost another cat instantly to a visiting dog which was tramatic to say the least... and several other animals to old age. Slow or fast, it's all terrible, but it's still worth all those years of joy. Cherish the time you have left, which goes for pets and people.

Thats soo sad Baiter ! You obviously get where im coming from. Agonizing decisions we all eventually need to make as pet owners.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Agonizing decisions we all eventually need to make as pet owners.

When we took our sick dog in, they didn't give us a choice. In fact it was quite the opposite. They decided what they thought was best before we had a chance to stop them.

There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-some-advice-about-letting-my-best-buddy-go/page/2?hl=flipperstyle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.