(Topic ID: 53339)

I need more help with the Comet - CPU board this time.

By Sharon

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Sharon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sharon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Williams System 9 CPU/MPU board.

So...
I thought the hole in the board by IJ17 and the wires strung though it might be a problem down the line, so I found a replacement board.

Checked all the chip connections, plugged it in, checked all my connections, and I get Error 7, which is a system failure.

Phooey.

And I saw...
When I was poking around checking connections and things, a puff of smoke from the area of the crystal. And the burning smell I am becoming too familiar with lol. I couldn't figure out where it came from exactly though.

So far...
I swapped the game ROMs out with the holey board, reseated U18, checked that the rest were seated well (without removing and reseating) swapped the crystal for the crystal in the holey board, and still get the same issue.

I am getting 5 volts at 5V on pins 4,5, and 6 on 1J17. On the power supply, pins 7,8,9 and 10 on 3J6 have 5V.

Maybe Related??
F2 fuse kept blowing...I finally READ the fuse and it was a 5 volt, and not a 2.5 volt sb. Fixed that. Blew it again. Hmm. Schematic shows the one directly above that is a 'do no use' fuse. But there's one there. I removed that, and changed F2 again; seems okay now...but could a wrong fuse configuration (for lack of a better way to say it) make something on the board go out?

Yes, I know I can send it out for repair, but then I won't know what it was or how to fix it myself. lol though if I did know how to fix it myself, I probably wouldn't have any problems sending it out. If anyone can help me fix this, I know the people here can.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You want a 2.5 AMP Slo-Blow fuse in F2.
If that blows your solenoids will not work.

Yeah, that's what I put in after I looked at the schematic.

#4 10 years ago

UPDATE:

I thought the problem was with the CPU/MPU unit. Now, I don't, but I don't know where else it could be. I got the old board (with holes and interesting fixes) working again and put it back in the game, and it's doing the same thing the newer board was.

First turn on; loud loud hum. At this point, I turned it off, but with the other board, I didn't, and eventually there was a burning smell, a small puff of smoke in the backbox and F2 blew. I thought at the time, it was because F2 had a wrong fuse in it, and the one above it was also being used even though the schematic says not to. But fixing that didn't make it work right.

I rechecked the solder points on the transformers, the fuse next to them under that metal grid thing, I've getting 5 volts to the CPU board, the game ROMS are good, the crystal is good. The connectors are well seated as are all chips. I don't think the system fail code is because of a failure on that board. But I'm not sure how to check what IS causing it. Or what to check.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sharon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-more-help-with-the-comet-cpu-board-this-time?tu=Sharon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.