• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Don44
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider foxct.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

You might have shorted 12V to ground when you did the soldering. Were you working on the LED board or the phototransistor board? The LED board is closer to you when you're facing the machine.

#7 9 years ago

J1-12 should have a gray-yellow wire punched down into the IDC in the connector. The next slot J1-11, should have no connection (based on page 3-19). The next slot over should be black wire and the next slot should be the key.

I think the prior poster envisioned a looped wire (e.g., the grey-yellow is punched down in j1-12 and looping over to J1-11). That is what page 3-18 suggests, but I think J1-12 and J1-11 are connected on the PCB, so you only need a connection at J1-12.

My connector also had the grey-yellow wire cut, ends stripped, ends twisted together and pushed in the IDC at J1-12. Sounds like yours is similar, but also soldered to location J1-12. Yours sounds fine. If somes phototransistors are working then the board is getting 12v. Ideally you would want to replace the connector, but I hate repinning connectors

Have you checked that all the LEDS are working? That could make switch 61 think that there is a ball there all the time.

#11 9 years ago

As atomicboy said, looks at the LEDs through a camera (phone works) with the LED board powered. All the LEDs should be emitting light (mine looked sorta purplish through the camera). I had two LEDs out causing all sorts of nonsense

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Thanks for all the information guys. I did the camera thing and neither the photo transistor or the led light up associated with switch 61. I will remove the photo transistor board later. I had not removed that one yet.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe the photo transistors light up during the camera inspection. The LEDs should emit infrared light. If you have an LED that did not light up, then replace that for sure

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

The one led does not light up so I guess that's the problem. I thought that maybe it only lights up when it senses the photo transistor. What kind of led do I use? Is it something I can get at radio shack?

The LEDs should be on all the time. It's an infrared LED. The part number in the manual for the LED is 5671-12731-00. If you google that number, you can find the replacement. I bought a generic IR LED at radioshack because I didn't want to wait for shipping.

These LEDS have to be installed in the correct orientation, with the cathode connected to ground.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Which side of the led is the cathode and which is the ground connection on the board?

The packaging for the LED should indicate which is the anode and which is the cathode. A general rule I have seen is that the longer leg is the anode.

I don't have the board in front of me, but the anode (longer leg) gets connected to a resistor and the cathode (shorter leg) gets connected to ground. When you remove the broken LED, figure out which leg was connected directly to a resistor. You should see a trace from one of the holes to a resistor leg. That is the through hole where the anode should go.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

One more dumb question, is the emitter or the transmitter on the led board?

Not sure what you mean by emitter and transmitter? I guess the LED board would be called an emitter, because all it does is emit infrared light.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

So I tried the led from radio shack and it did not work. I guess either it wouldnt work because it was not the right one.

You would use the emitter, but it needs to be infrared.

You can order to the correct part online. I think there are some threads on where to get the correct parts. Someone above mentioned great plains electronics. Or google that part number 5671-12731-00 and you get results.

Also, there is a company that sells the whole LED board http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/. Look at the DCS-TT, it says it works with STTNG

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You are far better off to repair the through hole board. These SMD boards eventually fail, and have done so in a couple years in cases, and you can't repair unless you can deal with SMD.
The original ones are no complicated. Again, as I mentioned, buy all new emitters and receivers for both sides from GPE and rebuild them.

I didn't realize that, good information.

#27 9 years ago

If a known working LED does not work in that location, something on the board is messed up. Make sure that the resistor that is connected to the LED in question has a good contact with board. I had one with a leg that was cracked. I think those resistors are known to move around, possibly breaking leads or cracking solder joints.

I have no idea on the GI in the shields. Never had that problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 64.99
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider foxct.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-more-help-with-sttng?tu=foxct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.