• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Don44
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GLModular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You are far better off to repair the through hole board. These SMD boards eventually fail, and have done so in a couple years in cases, and you can't repair unless you can deal with SMD.

The general gripe that most people have with SMD parts is that they aren't comfortable with repairing them. I understand that...and with all GLM products, the parts that are MOST likely to fail (and that HAVE historically failed) are generally kept as thruhole parts so that anyone can repair them on their own.

Cheers,

Tony

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Are the optos no longer through hole on your boards? The two I have seen were SMD from I recall. I have had two friends bring non-working ones to me that I could not do anything for, that's what I'm going on. Unless, I'm mixing yours up with someone else's, but I believe they were yours.

They weren't GLM boards then. We have only used thruhole optos on the ball trough boards since day one.

Currently we do have one product that uses SMD receiver optos, the Doctor Who 5 bank target board set. The reason for that was due to the fact that the normal receivers that we use on the ball trough boards don't fit there due to a height restriction. We were using a Williams style receiver there, but found that they were too sensitive to ambient light and were causing issues.

So we converted it over to a recessed style SMD receiver which uses the PCB and the target bank itself as a light shield. Works great, but that has been the only area where we've gone SMD for optos, and that was only because it was absolutely the best part for the job.

And on a related note, I would highly recommend that people avoid buying and using receiver optos that are being sold as "factory" or "Williams" original. They are very likely to give you trouble.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Regardless, I myself would still prefer repairing these boards with all through hole parts. While I agree the chances of the resisters failing are rare, the problem with these boards has always been the vibration. I have always been leery about SMD parts near areas of high vibration, as there is not as much strength as with through hole, that has much more surface area for contact. Given the vibration where these boards are, I have had countless solder cracks for the pads of many resisters on these boards. The SMD resistors on your boards as such worry me for long term use OVER the original, but obviously in some situations (no boards, too far gone to repair), it is great there is an option.

This was debated to great length when I started making these boards. At the time I actually designed and manufactured force (impact) sensors for a living and all of the electronics we used were SMD. These sensors were subjected to millions of impacts with near zero failure (usually it was the actual sensor that failed, not the electronics). Boards with SMD parts actually hold up better than thruhole boards and the reason is very simple. SMD parts are very low mass, with a high bonding area. Thruhole parts are the exact opposite, higher mass, smaller bonding area.

You might think that the hole would give mechanical strength, but it is actually a potential point of failure because you can never be sure how well the PCB house made that hole and how well that part has been soldered in. These days we even have to worry about plating separation on thruhole part leads!

Anyway, under vibration, the plating in that hole is going to be the first thing to separate as you have a high mass (thruhole) part constantly working on it. This may cause a disconnect between the top and bottom traces on the board which will oftentimes cause a board to stop working even if the part is still good. The WPC power board is a good example of what happens when these holes go bad (and that board doesn't even get the amount of vibration that the ball trough boards get!). We have to add a pile of jumpers to bypass the broken holes.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Given they are opto through hole though (still curious if this has always been the case or if they were SMD at one time), that is clearly much more manageable for future repairs, but I myself would still be inclined to always deal with the originals for these boards until they are too far gone.

And that is perfectly fine. My goal here is to hopefully prevent people from getting the wrong idea about boards with SMD parts on them. If designed right, they are very likely to be better than an equivalent thruhole only board. But design them wrong...Stern....and people are likely to not want to trust anything SMD.

Cheers,

Tony

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Ok, than I apologize for the belief they were yours. Who makes those than, you must know? My buddy still has them pulled from his STTNG, I'll have to look again.

I'm sorry, I don't know that I have ever seen one that used SMD optos. I'd be just as interested in knowing what was in your friend's machine. Let me know what you find out.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

As for the SMD being stronger, I recall someone posting something on this once, and the website he referred to was stating in places of vibration SMD worse off, but I'm sure you are more aware of the truth answer than I.

It all depends on how the particular board was designed and built. For high stress applications, most modern PCB manufacturing techniques won't survive as most assembly houses tend to minimize the amount of solder used to bond parts to the board (this is true for both SMD and thruhole). This is one of the major reasons why GLM products are all built in-house as opposed to farming the assembly out to a third party.

Quoted from Don44:

It did wind up being a broken resistor leg. I wound up ordering a new board from great lakes modular from Tony. The leg was broken right at the resistor so I was unsuccessful soldering it. Thanks for everybody's help. Now I have to figure out what is wrong with the gi lights under the shields. No new light board is available for that. That string of GI lights works so it must be something on that board.

Thanks Don! I got it shipped out.

As Atomicboy said, it is likely that the lamp board has cracks in the solder joints (a common thruhole failure on a board that doesn't see much vibration, I might add). Usually the first thing I do when I get a game is to pull all the lamp boards, wash them, let them thoroughly dry, reflow the solder joints on the connectors, lamp sockets, and also the pads for the twist in lamp sockets. The pads for the twist-ins tend to get pitted pretty badly over time, so reflowing them will go a long way to removing any flaky behavior.

Also make sure that the wires to the lamp board are firmly seated. Since the wiring harness hangs upside down, gravity tends to pull those wires right out. Use a jeweler's screwdriver to punch the wires firmly down into the v-groove of those IDC connectors. Might even try that first before pulling the entire lamp board.

Cheers,

Tony

#41 9 years ago

Are you sure that you are measuring AC voltages, not DC voltages?

Cheers,

Tony

#46 9 years ago

Have you checked the power driver board GI headers? These often times need to be reflowed, if not outright replaced. Also, the connectors there, if the wires look crunchy, you'll need to redo them. I've had to cut up to an inch of wire to get to good copper!

Tony

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GLModular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-more-help-with-sttng?tu=GLModular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.