20181110_234859 (resized).jpg
20190526_100944 (resized).jpg
20190804_125354 (resized).jpg
20190818_122148 (resized).jpg
cats chillin (resized).jpg
BD1229D3-7E52-4013-ABF7-0A24A3F74957 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190822_151341949 (resized).jpg
20190820_105026.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Looking for help in re-homing my 2 cats.

I find myself in this situation, due to my girlfriend being allergic to them. We are looking to move in together.

They are brother & sister and 7 years old. I refuse to split them up and I also refuse to put them with the local SPCA or Petco. I just couldn't do that to them.

If anyone is looking to adopt 2 cats or know anyone, please contact me. I have some friends at home that have put the word out to cat lovers, but nothing yet.

They are very loving and playful. I would love to see a family adopt them, where they will have much more human contact then they have had with me, due to me living alone and working 60+ hour weeks.

IMG_4255 (resized).jpgIMG_4255 (resized).jpgIMG_4267 (resized).jpgIMG_4267 (resized).jpg
#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I'm actually looking for a barn cat. My wife's also allergic to cats, so it wont be allowed in the house, but our detached garage has a mouse and rat problem that I dont want to use poison to control. I'm going to find a nice big tomcat and make it a nice spot in the garage. Our neighborhood has a 2 other outdoor cats that live half a block away on either side, so I'll have to get him fixed. I finally got my wife to agree to a cat as long as she doesn't have to deal with it. We haven't told my daughter yet, and she'll be ecstatic when she finds out. They're plenty of farms local to us with free cats to a good home, so I dont need to import yours.
Good luck with finding a home for these two.

They wouldn’t know how to hunt. They strictly indoor cats.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

You'll be suprised. All cats are hunters.
Like others have said...lose the girl,not the cats!

They never hunted in their life. I took them home when they were 6 weeks old.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

She needs to deal with her allergies....family pets are for life.

I disagree.

When I was a young kid, maybe around 5, we adopted a 4 year old collie from a local family. They couldn't properly care for him anymore and we took him in. I still remember how he tried to run back home when we first got him. Very quickly, he became a part of the family. When I was 14, we had to put him down. I cried my eyes out.

When I was 13, we adopted a 1 year old cocker spaniel. It was a single guy, who just didn't have enough time for the dog. So we took her in. Same thing happened, she became a part of the family rather quickly. The collie did get jealous of the attention she got, but they never fought or anything like that. When I was 24 and we had to put her down, I cried my eyes out.

But back to my current situation, I currently have 2 different wardrobes. 1 where I'll let the cats near me and 1 where I don't let them near me. I get changed in my closet, then run out of the house as fast as I can, to not get any dander on me. She is very highly allergic.

To defend her, she did not ask me to get rid of them. This is 100% my decision. I don't want to lock them in a bedroom 24/7. I swear, my cats are part dog...they follow me everywhere. When I leave in the morning, they are in the window watching me. When I come home, they watch me in the window, then run to the door. When I get ready in the morning, they sit outside the bathroom door waiting for me. When I play pinball, they wait outside the pinball room for me to get done. They follow me from room to room. I also think it's unfair that I'm never around. My everyday routine is leave for work at 7am, get home 9pm, eat dinner and head to bed. They deserve much more human contact. When I'm trying to sleep, they just want to play.

#88 4 years ago

I'm trying to find a better situation for them too.

When I adopted them, my business was still feeling the effects of the 2008 recession. I was always around. Now that the economy finally turned, I usually don't get done with work until between 7-8pm. From there, I either go to the gym or go out for a run. Back in 2012, I wasn't running or going to the gym. I was always home by 4pm.

It's nice for a lot of people here to bash my girlfriend over this. For Christmas and my birthday, she gives me gifts and a card from the cats. She doesn't want me to give them up either. Her suggestion, as well as others, is to just give them a bedroom all to themselves. I can't bring myself to do that to them. Nor will I put them in a shelter. They deserve better than being stuck in a bedroom 24/7.

I would love nothing more than to see them with a family where they both will get more than enough attention.

Even though they are 7, they both still act like kittens.

This is not an easy decision...but I'm trying to do what's best for them.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Definitely my thoughts. Go Mgtow.

No_ma_am_shirt_grande (resized).pngNo_ma_am_shirt_grande (resized).png
#93 4 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Everyone thinks they are perfect or they are smarter than the next guy etc. What people need to realize is 3 things. First off everyone's situation is different, second what works at one point in someones life sometimes doesn't work later down the road, and lastly none of us are perfect.
OP asked for help finding a new home for his two cats. He didn't ask people if they thought he was doing the right thing, he didn't ask what he should do about his girlfriend, etc. Cut the guy a break!
The only good thing about people saying the same things over and over again here is the post keeps getting bumped to the top so more people are seeing it. But OP needs to do what is right for him at this point in life. That doesn't make him a bad guy it just makes him human. He didn't post something like "if I can't find a home for them I am going to dump them by the side of the road next week" he put a post up looking for a good home for them and it appears if he can't find that he will try to work out another solution.

Thank you.

Side of the road, someone's farm, Petco, SPCA, Humane Society, shelters etc. are not even options I will consider.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

We have it all wrong here. Sounds like the girlfriend wants to keep the cats and he doesn't.
She should dump him and keep the cats for herself.
#teamcat

I don’t want to keep them locked up in a bedroom.

I don’t think that is fair to them. They love being around people.

This situation stinks. All my friends say when they die and come back, they want to come back as my cats. I try very hard to give them the best life possible.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Allergies? They say it’s not the fur, but the dander. Here’s the remedy.
First, shave the cats.
Then start giving them three baths, every day.
...and then they eventually run away!
J/k Good luck with the situation.

I tried giving them baths. Wish I started that when they were kittens. They just hated it.

I brush them twice a week with that amazingly cat glove. I use the wipes to wash them, the ones for allergies. I also use waterless shampoo. On my couches, I use blankets. I wash those twice a week. Wash my floors twice a week. Wipe all counter tops and furniture twice a week. Vacuum the upstairs carpet twice a week.

I do everything possible to keep the dander down...she still can’t take it.

She can handle the pinball room, because they aren’t allowed in there. We can’t just hang out and watch tv.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Can we hire you to keep up with cleaning our house.
We have 7 indoor cats and their are dust bunnies floating around all over the place,
as soon as i sweep a room clean, inside of 10 minutes there are twice as many hair/dust bunnies as before.

I don't know how you do it with 7 cats.

I live in a 1,600 sq ft condo.

#136 4 years ago

Here's a video of one of the cats.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Do these cats have names? It can't just be species 14221 : Cat

Feisty- orange - male
Princess- black - female

#151 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

#teamcat is trending

I don’t know what that means.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

I took it as the general consensus is to keep the cat. Is a trial with allergy medication out of the question?

We have tried everything the last 5 months.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

The reality is that the odds are very slim that your two cats will find a new home together. There are just very few adopters looking for multiple adult cats compared to the numbers that are available due to owners passing away, families getting evicted, and yes, surrendering them due to allergies. So unless you find a person on your own that is willing to take on your cats, you’ve pretty much sentenced them at best to a very long stay in a shelter as they wait to be adopted, and at worst being put down in a cold clinical room alone and scared. They also might not get adopted together which is also traumatic for them. There are many articles written about how animals in shelters show clear signs of depression if they stay there too long and many more about the realities of older animals getting adopted.
I’m not judging you if you consider all of that and still are left feeling you have no other alternative to solving the situation you find yourself in. But you’ve spent all of these years taking excellent care of your cats, and it’s likely not just a simple matter of them having to adjust to someone new filling up the food bowl. It’s a VERY scary and horrible experience for your cats. All of that is why so many people are on this thread encouraging you to explore every option possible to resolve this without giving your cats up.
BTW, I have been at work 12-14 hours a day most of my career, and my cats are all fine, so not being home as much as before isn’t something you need to be concerned about. That’s a minor adjustment for them.

A shelter is not something I will ever consider.

My cats adjust well with strangers. I’ve had a couple friends live with me through the years (going through a divorce). When friends come over to visit to watch football or something, after an hour, they’re in my friends laps.

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats good because that wouldn't end well for the kitties for sure.

I know. That’s why I won’t consider it.

1 week later
#195 4 years ago

Just want to put a thank you out to everyone who has sent me private messages.

I'm still looking for a new home for them that is preferably closer to NJ.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-help-re-homing-my-2-cats?tu=Trekkie1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.